Texas Hunting Forum

Air Rifle for Game Animals

Posted By: HOF

Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/17/18 02:22 AM

link to pellet gun click here

This air rifle fires a 550 grain slug and groups with in an inch at 50 yards.

1. Anyone on here have one?

2. How does a 550 grain slug fired from a pellet gun at 50 yards compare to a 55 grain fired from an AR?

I found a TV program called American air gunner. They killed a couple of goats. Got me to thinking.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/17/18 02:36 AM

Illegal on game animals in Texas.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/17/18 03:09 AM

Plan on using one on my neighborhood coyote next time I see him. 1200fps alloy pointed tip should make a statement
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/17/18 05:37 AM

The air guns are gaining followers everyday. I was surprised when I shot a friends air gun, it was as accurate as the shooter. The good ones are not the old Red Ryder BB guns or the pump up rifles from our youths.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/17/18 05:58 AM

If you go on YouTube and look at Team Wild TV's videos with the Benjamin Rogue and Bulldog .357s, you'll be surprised by what an airgun can do.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/17/18 07:15 AM

Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/17/18 11:01 PM

I have always like the idea, just can't justify, have to many guns I am not shooting now.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/18/18 12:18 AM

The big bore air rifles are very expensive.
We have a customer (Airguns of Arizona) who hunts big game with a pre-charged pneumatic, PCP, in US and Africa. It works but shot placement is everything, like hunting with a 45ACP.
With the PCP there is a lot of support equipment, tanks of air or other gas to recharge gun, hoses etc.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/18/18 01:39 AM

That and they are almost as loud as a regular rifle when you get into the big bores.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/18/18 02:12 AM

They sure keep the squirrels under control
Posted By: HOF

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/18/18 02:33 AM

I think I'm getting one. A 117. On the show he was grouping within an inch at 50 and 3 or 4 at 75 yards.
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/18/18 02:59 AM

Good chance it will be legal on game animals next year!
Posted By: machine73

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/18/18 11:38 PM

They're legal for squirrels. Squirrels are game animals.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/19/18 07:36 PM

We need to give input on the proposed Airgun Regulation. As it is written now they are only going to limit Airguns to .30 Calibers and above. My concern is there are to many .30 caliber Target Rifle's out there that shouldn't be used to hunt Deer. There are also .257 caliber PCP air rifles that are powerful enough that could be used, but the rule as written will prevent them from being used.

I would encourage you to state your opinion on their public comment page. I posted my comment that, the restriction should be limited by bullet weight and Foot Pounds of Energy and not by caliber alone. Generally, 1.5 times body weight is a safe margin as to FPE at the muzzle for a clean kill. Here is a video of a 150+ pound hog I shot with my 180 FPE .257 caliber PCP air rifle. The hog went about 80 yards.

Here is the pic of the hog taken the next day.
[Linked Image]
My gun is 55" long for reference.

This link will take you to where you can post comments: https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/fee.../201803_statewide_whitetailed_deer.phtml
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/20/18 12:12 AM

Tried twice to watch your video and gave up. Edit please.
Posted By: fxhunter

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/20/18 11:35 AM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback...iled_deer.phtml
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/20/18 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Got motion-sickness too!

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/20/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Got motion-sickness too!

So what are you trying to say, I'm no Francis Ford Coppola and should keep my day job? lol
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/20/18 03:53 PM

And nothing happens for the first 8 minutes and 43 seconds but pigs under the feeder multiple times and not being shot. The vid is 8 minute 56 seconds long. The video is silent, with no captions or voiceover explaining what is going on at all. If you blink, you will miss the shot and not know a pig has been shot because they just run way, again.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/20/18 04:10 PM

I have used them. They kill hogs fine. However, they are a novelty to me. Too much apparati to deal with.

Re: Air Rifle for Game Animals - 02/20/18 09:31 PM

Sorry, in the original post I commented on how many times the barb wire was lined up with the heart and I couldn't get a shot off. The first pig is shot at 4:38 and if you look closely the bullet can be seen striking right above the elbow. The second pig was shot at 8:44 and you can see that bullet passing right over the ears of the pig in front and striking the targeted pig right above the elbow as well. Two shots two pigs,
Not to bad for a BB gun.

I would like to add that the pigs returned a second time 6 min after the first shot and then again 15 min after the second. I could see the second one pig down so I let the 3rd group have a pass because this was Friday and I wanted to not run them off.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum