Texas Hunting Forum

Feasible THF public land hunt??

Posted By: 7mag

Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/10/18 06:06 PM

Just throwing this out there to get some feelers. I have a VERY high interest in a elk or mule deer hunt on public land out west, like Nevada etc.

I am at that old threshold of bucket list hunts. Those 2 are tops. Could a group of guys from THF do a group hunt with hopefully some already educated and been there done that to spear head a group??

Looking at buying over the counter tags not draw. Gimme some feedback on what you think. I do not want to leave this great earth and say "I wish I could have done that"

I know NOTHING about out west public lands and as far as coin they seem that best option for me anyway. Thoughts??
Posted By: gusick

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/10/18 06:53 PM

A group of THF guys do this in Colorado every year.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/10/18 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: gusick

Really???? well carp. I missed it
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/10/18 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: 7mag

I don’t know that Nevada has much to offer in otc tags. It’s a tough state to draw and expensive.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/10/18 07:54 PM

There's a really Big Carp tournament on Benbrook Lake.....FYI
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/10/18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil

There's a really Big Carp tournament on Benbrook Lake.....FYI
clap food
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/10/18 09:41 PM

Colorado or Idaho are your best bets for OTC Elk. Idaho has a lot of opportunity for Mule deer as well, but last winter was pretty hard on most of the state and killed a lot of the older age class (same in a few spots in Colorado).

Utah has some general units that can be drawn with 0 points, as does Wyoming, but both are through a draw process. That said, Colorado and Montana have good deer and elk hunting as well with some tags available with only a point or two. If you’re a bow hunter, you can add Arizona to the list with most of the game units having a January OTC archery tags that are good for Coues deer or Mule Deer.

Planning out my fall with a maximum of two points anywhere, I’m pushing for 3-5 tags for this fall:
Wyoming antelope and Mule deer (will get both tags)
Utah general deer (30% draw odds in the Unit I applied)
New Mexico Mule deer (40%+ draw odds where i’ll Be applying)
Colorado Elk and Mule deer (depending on the UT and NM draws)
And thinking a Kansas whitetail on “public” is probably going to be in the cards this year.
Plus low draw odds applications for other species in Nevada and Arizona and buying points in Montana.

One of my hunting goals (besides a Super 10, at the least) is to hunt and harvest an elk, Mule deer, and Antelope in every state that has non-resident tags. I started about 10 years later than I should have, but I’m going to give it hell.
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/10/18 09:45 PM

Side note: the only draw that you have missed so far is Wyoming elk.

Arizona’s deadline is Tuesday, Utah is 3/1, NM is 3/21, CO is 4/3, and so on.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/11/18 05:15 AM

I’m interested in something like this, but I’ll put it out there up front that I’m a hunter, not a beer drinker or jerkoff. If I’m driving that far it’s going to be about the hunting.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/11/18 02:54 PM

If you are going to do it. Start spending time on google earth and trail finders. Start planning where you want to try and go. It’s tough hunting at elevation when you don’t live there
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/11/18 04:45 PM

You might find some with PP in Wyoming for deer or antelope and do a point averaging party app.
Even 1 PP gets a chance at a better area with access.

Leftover draw in June for Wyoming elk , deer and antelope. List will be out early June.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/13/18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I’m interested in something like this, but I’ll put it out there up front that I’m a hunter, not a beer drinker or jerkoff. If I’m driving that far it’s going to be about the hunting.

I agree with that. up
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Feasible THF public land hunt?? - 02/13/18 06:46 PM

My advice is to go with someone who has been there.

Go into it knowing you will be in some beautiful country but you may not see any game.

Also be honest with yourself about your physical limitations. Even a second season elk hunt can be brutal as far as weather goes.

Lots of different areas both in wilderness and where atvs are allowed
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum