Texas Hunting Forum

2020 hunting trip ideas

Posted By: Cleric

2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 03:52 AM

I am thinking that I want to take a hunting trip in 2020. Not really sure what I want to do...ideas??

I don’t want to do South Africa

I think Alaska would be fun but pretty pricey...

Can’t be in Texas smile
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 04:00 AM

If I was younger and physically able to, I would want to go on another elk hunt, either Northern New Mexico or Colorado.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 04:20 AM

Price range?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 05:00 AM

Argentina? I've got the hook up for you on dove/duck/partridge hunting down there. Side trip for a Red Stag if you want to spend that much. I'm going back in 2018.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 09:12 AM

Alaska, New Zealand, or Argentina.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 12:33 PM

I'd go to Texas, they have exotics, piles of hogs and some great deer hunting!

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
If I was younger and physically able to, I would want to go on another elk hunt, either Northern New Mexico or Colorado.

Have been doing Colorado otc a couple of times but haven’t connected frown

Originally Posted By: Theringworm
Price range?

Don’t really have a set one. I am okay spending some money because I got some time to save smile. I would say 5k area would be nice to stick to but may go higher if needed. Alaska looked to be 15-20k min

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 01:31 PM

Thinking first preference is something in the us so I can keep the meat

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan
I'd go to Texas, they have exotics, piles of hogs and some great deer hunting!

If I did texas it would be an elk hunt with Mulie mike
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 02:35 PM

IMO best bang for the buck right now is Newfoundland moose. Check out Moose Valley Outfitters/Dean McDonald.
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 02:37 PM

Black bear would be (and is) high on my list. At 5K you could be looking at coastal British Columbia or anywhere for that matter. Most of Canada would be relatively cheap and provide fishing opportunities as well.

15-20k in Alaska would be a Moose, Grizzly, or Dall Sheep Hunt. You could look at Sitka Blacktails or caribou drop camps and stay around 5K with flights and everything.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 02:49 PM

In no particular order:

Aoudad Hunt West TX w/ Mulie Mike
Black Bear hunt anywhere in US, BC or Canada
Antelope hunt
Mule deer hunt
Newfoundland Moose
Whitetail back East or Canada
Coues Deer
Black Tail deer on Kodiack Island would be a great adventure and is in your price range
Mountain Lion hunt
Thar or Chamois in New Zealnd but just to hunt 1 is $4,000-5,000. Travel would be on top of that.
Elk hunt
Posted By: snake oil

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 02:52 PM

New Zealand...........
Posted By: Wytex

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 03:05 PM

How about a Wyoming antelope hunt? Start by getting your PP , one this summer and another next year. With 2 PP you can get into a good area for access. Antelope are fun to hunt, abundant across the state and combine well with a fishing and bird hunting trip. Blue, or dusky grouse, and sage grouse are open in Sept. Brook and brown trout are spawning.
Doe tags are cheap to add with your any antelope tag , we have great scenery.
Ever been to Jackson or Cody or Devil's Tower ? They are all worth making the trip to see.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 06:24 PM

Antelope in Wyoming,
Whitetails in Montana
Mule deer in Idaho
Drop camp for caribou in Alaska
Coastal Alaska blacktail
Florida alligator
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Wytex
How about a Wyoming antelope hunt? Start by getting your PP , one this summer and another next year. With 2 PP you can get into a good area for access. Antelope are fun to hunt, abundant across the state and combine well with a fishing and bird hunting trip. Blue, or dusky grouse, and sage grouse are open in Sept. Brook and brown trout are spawning.
Ever been to Jackson or Cody or Devil's Tower ? They are all worth making the trip to see.

Problem with Pronghorn is the eating part. Think he wants to eat what he kills.
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 06:56 PM

New Zealand is one place I’d like to go but that’s just me.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 07:09 PM

Bison in Nebraska
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Originally Posted By: Wytex

Problem with Pronghorn is the eating part. Think he wants to eat what he kills.

Handled correctly, pronghorn can be fantastic. As long as you get them cool quickly, they are one of my favorite game animals.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 07:32 PM

Not sure what that means, antelope are fine eating unless you chase them across the plains from a high rack then shoot it, after which your guide gets pee all over the meat while quartering it for you. Have seen that very thing on a panhandle hunt. Was more than happy to be trespass fee hunting and doing my own field work instead of relying on those guides.

Sherpa is right on, the meat is great if handled properly.
Posted By: DH3

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 07:44 PM

I would try Canada for a trophy whitetail or a black bear.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 07:59 PM

Kodiak Blacktail hunt; Sonora Mexico Mulies; Anything Montana

I watched a hunting show about a trip like this last night. Looked amazing.
http://www.halibutfishinghomeralaska.com/black_tail_deer_hunts.htm

Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 09:24 PM

My Blackbear/fishing to Ontario last year was great and well within your budget. Easy fly or drive. You can bring the bear meat back but the fish is very limited on quantity to bring back. We did catch and release mostly with a few Walleye for dinner. I caught two trophy Pike over 50", saw lots and lots of bears and took a nice one over 6'6" 400 and then over next couple of days on camera had 3 bears that would be true trophies over 500.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt
My Blackbear/fishing to Ontario last year was great and well within your budget. Easy fly or drive. You can bring the bear meat back but the fish is very limited on quantity to bring back. We did catch and release mostly with a few Walleye for dinner. I caught two trophy Pike over 50", saw lots and lots of bears and took a nice one over 6'6" 400 and then over next couple of days on camera had 3 bears that would be true trophies over 500.
eek2 up
Posted By: PMK

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 10:00 PM

outfitter elk and/or mule deer hunt in CO or NM ... close enough to drive (saves on airfare that can be directed to the hunt).

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 10:48 PM

I doubt he’s too concerned with airfare, you know.
Posted By: PMK

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/06/18 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

but with a limit around $5k puts a limit on the hunting cap depending on what the airfare might be ... was my point cheers ...

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/07/18 12:15 AM

Some great ideas in here...

I am looking at a New Zealand trip specifically but that is going to be more fishing...may get a chance at a stag

Right now I am leaning towards Kodiak island. Looks to be some relatively affordable trips and would be a heck of an experience... although Canada bear sounds like fun
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/07/18 12:24 AM

I’d rather take a fishing trip to El Salto than any hunting trip I can think of.

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/07/18 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: PMK
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

but with a limit around $5k puts a limit on the hunting cap depending on what the airfare might be ... was my point cheers ...

Yeah, well, looks like I was wrong, anyway.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/07/18 02:05 AM

Sub 8k
Axis hunt
Nilgai hunt/with a day fishing--cast and blast
Pronghorn NM or Texas or WY
Aoudad--fun hunt--will give you a good sheep hunting experience

10k to 12k
BC mountain goat
Mule Deer--getting tough to find a good buck--can be done for less but a big buck you will be in this realm
Elk hunt--it does not turn my crank--but the country is pretty
Tur hunt in Azerbaijan--if your adventuresome you will not forget it--this is another you better get in shape.
New Zeland South Island--Tahr/Chamois hunt--will push the 12k for both--awesome alpine country--you better get in shape

Ed
Posted By: bp3

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/07/18 02:55 AM

Eastern plains of Colorado for Mule deer thru land owners tag. rifle

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/08/18 01:18 AM

Kodak island is taking the lead right now...
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: 2020 hunting trip ideas - 02/08/18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I’d rather take a fishing trip to El Salto than any hunting trip I can think of.

you can leave now....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum