Texas Hunting Forum

Moose Hunting

Posted By: Limit Extender

Moose Hunting - 02/03/18 08:33 PM

Anyone have a good recommendation for a trophy moose hunt?
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/03/18 08:59 PM

I did a fly in, drop off 10 day rafting moose hunt years ago with a couple brothers. Was told only a few people a year went there. We were the last hunters of the year and found out there were around 35 people before us. A lot of money spent, no moose around after that many people camping, fires, crapping etc... So... just saying do your due diligence in finding the right guide.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/03/18 10:05 PM

Are you looking for guided or a drop camp? Are you wanting something over 60 inches or what is your idea of a trophy? Do you have $30,000 grand to spend for the outfitter, airfare getting there and then bringing the moose back home?
Posted By: WBT

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/03/18 11:45 PM

Your budget is going to dictate where you go. I shot a nice one two years ago with Phil Shoemaker. I'd hunt with him again in a heartbeat.

http://www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com/

If you're flexible, be on the lookout for cancellation hunts in July-August. I see great deals every year for last minute moose hunts.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/04/18 12:09 AM

I just spent 4 days at SCI researching this very hunt. I ended up booking with Sam Fejes for Alaskan Moose in 2019. He came highly regarded by many outfitters at the convention and has multiple book moose taken annually. His references are excellent. You can pm me if you want more info on him or other guides. We looked at a bunch of them and all of the ones listed below had solid references and success rates. Alaska will be cheaper than the Yukon/NWT due no B.S. govt fees, import etc etc. Alaskan moose are also slightly bigger than Yukon/NWT/BC moose. These are all fully guided outfitters. Here was our short list:

Alaska:
1) Sam Fejes with Fejes Guide Service and Tsui River Lodge
2) Rainy Pass Lodge
3)Renfros Alaska Adventures

Yukon/NWT:
1) Jim Fink with Blackstone Outfitters
2) Lancaster Family Hunting (own/operate NWT Outfitters (moose, caribou) & Nahanni Butte Outfitters (Sheep)
3) Dave Masters with Yukon Big Game Outfitters
4) Caesar Lake Outfitters
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/04/18 12:34 AM

Contact Kodiak on here, he is retired and lives up there. He guides for or used to guide for this guy: https://www.renfroalaskanadventures.com/
Kodiak killed a huge Moose with him a few years ago.
Posted By: rmp

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/04/18 04:36 AM

Are you interested in going to Kamchatka?
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/04/18 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: rmp

What is the price difference between Russia and Alaska? Especially with betting it back home?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/04/18 04:24 PM

Gotta know experience level, goals and budget of hunt to even begin to answer the question.

Moose hunts can range from $4000 drop-camp affairs to $30,000 Alaska-Yukon fully outfitted hunts - and everything in between.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/05/18 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
Anyone have a good recommendation for a trophy moose hunt?

Call me
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/05/18 04:39 PM

I had a brown Bear lined up and deposit made, then there was a school shooting in Russia somewhere and they shut down all firearms being brought into the country.......

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/06/18 02:26 AM

Snake Oil, my brother and sister- in -law were in Kamchatka in early November. Bear and moose hunt. The had a great time. Used Utgard outfitters www.utgardtours.com

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/06/18 02:27 AM

They used the outfitters guns. If you want more info PM me.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Moose Hunting - 02/06/18 12:40 PM

They used the outfitters guns. If you want more info PM me.

Thanks and nice animals and at the time that was not an option for me.......
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum