Texas Hunting Forum

Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming

Posted By: toada

Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/26/18 03:26 AM

I wanted to see if anyone goes out west for shed hunts in the spring. I have been talking about taking a trip with my son (11), and this is something that he is interested in doing. For me, it seems like an great way to get him outdoors and make it exciting for him. I am not looking to go pick up a truck full of horn, If we were fortunate enough to find a elk or mulie shed or two it would be something he would remember for a while.

I have been doing some research and I know there is a ton of public land to go exploring on, and also understand the regulations about dates in some states. What I am wondering is if anyone knows of an outfitter that may offer some type of package? Or if you have done this in the past would you be willing to IM me some pointers?

Again – I am not asking for honey holes or hoping to find loads of horn, just looking to get pointed in the right direct and have a great trip with my son.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/26/18 03:32 AM

Used to do it on a moonlit night in the snow in Montana. They shine like pop cans.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/26/18 04:08 AM

My experience won't be any help, but we found a shed in our backyard in Ruidoso, NM. But there used to be a store that bought shed by the pound in Ruidoso, so there must some good shed hunting in the area. There is tent camping in the Lincoln National Forest and plenty of commercial RV parks, but no private commercial tent camping areas. If you want cabins, they are al privately owned, none in the National forest that I know of. But the forest surrounds the town.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/26/18 10:04 AM

The Lincoln would be a great place to start. It’s close, beautiful, and has Ruidoso. Lots of deer and elk, with some good ones.
Posted By: ScrapIron

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/26/18 11:50 AM

we used to sell them when i was younger. we hunted arizona new mexico border and some days we found more than we could haul on our horses.
i never hunted around ruidoso, but id bet if you found some low country right outside of town youd find a couple
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/26/18 12:14 PM

Try Queen, NM in the Guadalupes. It's also part of the Lincoln NF. In Queen, there is an RV park and a couple of cabins you can rent. You're surrounded by the NF and there are elk and muledeer in this area. Also plenty of trails to ride if you have an ATV or UTV.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/26/18 04:01 PM

No need for an outfitter . We get overrun with Utards and greenies coming over looking. Check on seasons as most states have set sheds seasons now to protect animals on wintering range.
Shed hunting has become a big deal up here last few years so you'll have lots of company. We do find sheds while hunting in the fall so they are out there just laying around.
Antler buyers help push the practice. Used to just be a few guys looking to find some sheds now it's a business for many.
Look into winter ranges to find places to go look in April. This time of the year our wardens are doing winter counts and watching for idiots chasing animals hoping they drop their antlers.
Check the NM regs before you go looking there.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/26/18 05:35 PM

Get on your tractor and drive around the pasture, my tires are great at finding sheds.
Posted By: don k

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/26/18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Get on your tractor and drive around the pasture, my tires are great at finding sheds.
Very true. Especially the small ones.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/27/18 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Very true. Especially the small ones.

That's the only way I've ever found a shed. It was tiny too! Lol
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 01/28/18 04:01 PM

Many states are starting shed hunting "seasons". Colorado for example it isn't legal to 'shed hunt' until May 1. They are trying to keep pressure off the winter range animals. UT and WY did the same last year I believe.

I guess hunters are the only ones pressuring those animals because they still allow backpacking, snowmobiling (in non-wilderness areas) and back country skiing. Interesting to see how they enforce it or if the 'season' meets their intent.

Won't be long before you have to have a 'license' for sheds-- gotta tax and generate revenue every way possible right?

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/04/18 03:46 PM

Shed season in Wyoming only affects the areas west of the continental divide.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/05/18 01:10 AM

Just go to Jackson Hole and dress up like a boy scout. They get all the sheds there in the valley.
My brother in Montana had a tv show called "Shed Wars" for a year, apparently not enough people watched it. You can look it up on youtube I suppose. He's the crazy one named Fish.

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/05/18 03:13 PM

The Elk Fest weekend in Jackson is really cool.
The Boy Scout go out every year and collect the antlers off of the National Elk Refuge for auction. The proceeds go to the NER for operating costs etc and 25% go back to the boy scouts to fund some of their activities.
Really cool to see the vendors set up on the square and the auction itself. Some big racks and deadheads get sold.

Shed hunting has taken off up here now. The good areas get hit early and in great areas that have a closure, people line up to get in on the opening day. You won't be alone in your pursuit.
We pick up sheds every year but have private access to do it.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/06/18 02:21 PM

I think I read where Colorado will require you to buy a permit to hunt sheds on federal property.

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/06/18 03:07 PM

Yes, Colorado passed a shed hunting license and season.

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/06/18 03:09 PM

Yes, Colorado passed a shed hunting season west of

Yes Colorado has a shed hunting season west of I-25. Most western state do now to protect wintering animals.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/10/18 02:35 AM

Go shed hunting with your son. But turni it into a fun trip by making it a nature hike. Look for bugs and mushrooms and seedlings and rocks and colored dirt and coyote scat and tracks and scrapes and photography opportunities. Get your son interested in nature at 11 and he’ll be hooked for the rest of his life. If you find a shed, great. If not, you’ll have a blast hiking in God’s creation.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/10/18 03:27 AM

Lots of NF in NM thats were id go, i find them on every hunt ive been on their, 1 year i found 5 mule deer complete sets on 1 hunt in the same little honey hole.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/10/18 03:44 AM

I have no clue as to regulations in New Mexico. But if I was going, I would head to Lake Bonito, about 30 minutes north of Ruidoso. There is a canyon hiking trail called Kraut Canyon, on the north side of the lake. Part of the area was burned in the Little Bear Fire 6 years ago. The fishing has been screwed up since the fire and has kept most of the tourists out of the area.

Never did this trail, but another trail is almost in town, at Grindstone Lake, there I think you would have to wander off the trail to look for sheds. It seems to be a popular hiking area for tourists, as there are almost always vehicles in the parking area even when there was no one fishing.

You can get hiking trail maps at the Ranger station in Ruidoso. It is about 30 minutes to Lake Bonito from Ruidoso, which has a lot of accommodations, everything from a Motel 6 to nice cabin rentals. Real Mexican food with red or green sauce. If you should chose this place, PM me, I will add more details.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/10/18 04:28 AM

South-facing slopes.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Shed hunting in New Mexico / Colorado / Wyoming - 02/14/18 11:17 PM

didn't Co. institute a new reg for requiring a license to shed hunt?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum