Texas Hunting Forum

New Deer Feeder

Posted By: EwingOil

New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 03:47 AM

So I mostly just read what everyone else posts here and generally really enjoy the site. I had a winch style barrel feeder today snap as I was cranking it up with only 100 lbs of feed in it. Granted these feeders are 9 years old and have been well maintained, but they have always been coon and squirrel magnets and are difficult to fill and keep running.

I want a feeder I don’t have to climb a ladder to fill or winch into place. Basically a stand and fill feeder. I live in DFW and would like to reach out to the collective knowledge of the group for their favorite feeders that fit this bill. I need 3 of them. I’m tired of climbing ladders on some feeders and winching others. Ultimately, I just don’t think it is really safe anymore. Please advise.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 04:07 AM

Google capsule feeders. Sit on the ground and use an auger to move feed up to the spinner. Monarch has a shorter one but not exactly stand and fill.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 04:08 AM

I have a few All Seasons 600 lb stand and fills and have zero complaints. Most reliable feeders I’ve had.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 04:15 AM

Check with Ramball36 http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/users/12821
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 05:06 AM

Ranchking, all seasons, lamco, ramball36 member here all have good plans
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 06:00 AM

Alamo feeders are the best I’ve seen and the guy who makes them is on the forum
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 01:49 PM

I've got a Capsule feeder and love it......
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
I have a few All Seasons 600 lb stand and fills and have zero complaints. Most reliable feeders I’ve had.

This. The only way to go.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 02:15 PM

I've owned and still own most of the feeders mentioned above:

I would rank in this order:

Alamo
Capsule
All Seasons
Ramball
Hang m High
Monarch

Alamo is far superior to them all, the main difference being the varmit protection. Coon cages are out of date and inefficient. They knock down your feed and pile it up around the base of the feeder. The Alamo throws out a perfect circle of evenly spread feed so multiple animals can feed without crowding each other or trying to dominate the feed piles from other deer there to feed.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I've owned and still own most of the feeders mentioned above:

I would rank in this order:

Alamo
Capsule
All Seasons
Ramball
Hang m High
Monarch

Alamo is far superior to them all, the main difference being the varmit protection. Coon cages are out of date and inefficient. They knock down your feed and pile it up around the base of the feeder. The Alamo throws out a perfect circle of evenly spread feed so multiple animals can feed without crowding each other or trying to dominate the feed piles from other deer there to feed.

Noticed Ramball has a new varmit protection design like Alamo on his new models that don't have coon cages. So those models I would rate above the All Seasons.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/20/18 07:25 PM

Just bought three this season and they are flawless, thus far. If you don't need a 600, the 300s are lower to the ground and even easier to fill.
www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/600lb-standandfill-broadcast
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

Just bought three this season and they are flawless, thus far. If you don't need a 600, the 300s are lower to the ground and even easier to fill.
www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/600lb-standandfill-broadcast

The only reason I went with the 600 lbs is the price difference from where I buy is like $50. Not worth it IMO to get the smaller model, especially for the resale value. I feel like I paid 525$ OTD for my 600 lb (motor/timer/battery included) and the 300 lb were 479$.

Someone above mentioned hang em high feeders. I have three of these as well and they are nice and very well built. However they are more expensive than the all seasons and you still have to crank them up. Also we’ve had the wind take one down. Haven’t had the wind mess with an all seasons yet.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 01:28 AM

Ramball36. Bought a stand n fill last year, been my best buy as far as feeders go. Coon proof.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 02:53 AM

Thanks so much to everyone. I will research all that y’all have provided and see which one is a good fit for my farm.
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 03:28 AM

Tag for later
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 04:04 AM

Alamo is same design as Lamco.

I would put lamco over Alamo via price, materials and height.

Ramball’s is actually a better design, lot easier to switch out motors.

The all seasons you still can have squirrel issues and the control unit is a pain to get to compared to lamco and ramballs. I have been adapting all of TWS to a side mounted control box. Done with cages also going to the varmit plates like Ramball and lamco.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 04:24 AM

Bobo you seen the rsnchkings? We are running the expensive one and the cheaper one and they have been solid

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Bobo you seen the rsnchkings? We are running the expensive one and the cheaper one and they have been solid

Yes the drop down spinner is genius but the price is ridiculous, I will say construction wise they are impressive and you can see why they cost so much.
Posted By: therancher

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 05:31 AM

The lamco has the same sheet as Alamo? I haven't seen that one. Alamo has been the best feeder I've ever had. Perfect spread. And great customer support.

I will never ever have a varmint cage feeder again. They simply do not feed an even spread out as far as the feeders that have the sheetmetal plate guard.

All that said, the new spin tech stand and fill with the drop down plate that they sell at the super S or Lowes' food stores are performing awfully good and are incredibly cheap at 399 per unit.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

The all seasons you still can have squirrel issues and the control unit is a pain to get to compared to lamco and ramballs. I have been adapting all of TWS to a side mounted control box. Done with cages also going to the varmit plates like Ramball and Lamco.

Lamco is not the same design. Same varmit protection design as The Judge and Alamo who they obviously copied. And then Ramball copied Alamo on the varmit plate design, lol.

Those 12v motors are sealed and I've never replaced one in over 25 years of using them. Sure the 6v motors fail all the time; much cheaper and not sealed.

Alamos price is the same as Lamco. IMO better design than Ramball because none of the components are exposed to the weather. I can also load and unload the 1000 lb. model Alamo by myself from the back of my pickup. Everything is welded, nothing to screw together so nothing vibrates loose. The same cannot be said of Lamco. Lighter weight cheaper metals and it is not all welded construction. The Ramball has the motor box and solar/power conduit exposed for coons to hang off of and pull on.

I do like the lower height of the new Lamco that copied Alamo and the Judge varmit plate design.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 03:47 PM

The all seasons you still can have squirrel issues and the control unit is a pain to get to compared to lamco and ramballs. I have been adapting all of TWS to a side mounted control box. Done with cages also going to the varmint plates like Ramball and Lamco.

Lamco is not the same design. Same varmit protection design as The Judge and Alamo who they obviously copied. And then Ramball copied Alamo on the varmit plate design, lol.

Those 12v motors are sealed and I've never replaced one in over 25 years of using them. Sure the 6v motors fail all the time; much cheaper and not sealed.

Alamos price is the same as Lamco. IMO better design than Ramball because none of the components are exposed to the weather. I can also load and unload the 1000 lb. model Alamo by myself from the back of my pickup. Everything is welded, nothing to screw together so nothing vibrates loose. The same cannot be said of Lamco. Lighter weight cheaper metals and it is not all welded construction. The Ramball has the motor box and solar/power conduit exposed for coons to hang off of and pull on.

I do like the lower height of the new Lamco that copied Alamo and the Judge varmit plate design.

No he/Alamo wasn’t the same price on 5 feeders, Lamco beat him but $70 a feeder

Lamco has had their stand and fill out for almost 4 years. The whole varmit guard on all of them is actually just a mod’ed knock off of the Diamond/Lamco’s 18 year varmit proof design.

Lamco is galvanized and I have trough feeders from them that are 25 years old and look brand new, infact nothing has vibrated loose either.. Weld vs bolt isn’t always stronger especially on 16 ga material. Most military trailers are actually bolt and rivot. A bolt is stronger then a spot weld on 16ga all day and every day and doesn’t require paint or sealant

All motors eventually go out. It May be two years maybe be 20 years. On both Lamco and Alamo you have to get inside th bin to replace them(if they are full of corn that’s not going to be fun). The Lamco actually have blue plastic box around motors for what ever reason atleast on troughs/standing varmit , I pretty sure it’s same motor design on stand and fill. Any way 23 feeders on two ranches and I replace atleast one motor and timer a year, and we have just about all brands of feeders from Lamco, AWS, Acadamy, TWS, and even Lehman.

Actually none of Ramball are exposed to weather either. Motor is protected via a housing

Anyway my experience is the two best things for a feeder are varmint plates and external box for controls/battery

This feeder design goes back well past the amount of time Alamo and Judge have been in business. Basically just took sloped panels off and extended the cone.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/21/18 11:29 PM

I agree with you on one of the two most important requirements. I think as long as Lamco has been in business they must of experienced what I have, that being 12v fully sealed DC motors just keep working, or they would of changed the design by now. I agree they had the first varmit proof design that didn't use cages, but it did use troughs, which I stay away from.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 12:43 AM

Where would you recommend purchasing the Alamo feeders from near DFW? My farm is in Red River County, so anywhere from Hico to Clarksville is no problem. BTW, thanks for such a nice review.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 03:35 AM

I have a Cube Feeder from Academy. It sits low enough to poor the corn in. been happy with it.

JR
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 09:18 AM

I like my HB
Posted By: Curtis

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 12:02 PM

I have an All Seasons Stand & Fill protein 600# on skids. It works well with corn or protein or both. I would also recommend Green Go feeders.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtis
I have an All Seasons Stand & Fill protein 600# on skids. It works well with corn or protein or both. I would also recommend Green Go feeders.

I have a couple I’ll sell you, one small one large. Just a couple of years old. Hogs and deer mess with the exposed flex conduit. And a high % of the feed doesn’t get spread far enough.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 11:23 PM

The all seasons you still can have squirrel issues and the control unit is a pain to get to compared to lamco and ramballs. I have been adapting all of TWS to a side mounted control box. Done with cages also going to the varmint plates like Ramball and Lamco.

Lamco has had their stand and fill out for almost 4 years. The whole varmit guard on all of them is actually just a mod’ed knock off of the Diamond/Lamco’s 18 year varmit proof design.

Lamco is galvanized and I have trough feeders from them that are 25 years old and look brand new, infact nothing has vibrated loose either.. Weld vs bolt isn’t always stronger especially on 16 ga material. Most military trailers are actually bolt and rivot. A bolt is stronger then a spot weld on 16ga all day and every day and doesn’t require paint or sealant

All motors eventually go out. It May be two years maybe be 20 years. On both Lamco and Alamo you have to get inside th bin to replace them(if they are full of corn that’s not going to be fun). The Lamco actually have blue plastic box around motors for what ever reason atleast on troughs/standing varmit , I pretty sure it’s same motor design on stand and fill. Any way 23 feeders on two ranches and I replace atleast one motor and timer a year, and we have just about all brands of feeders from Lamco, AWS, Acadamy, TWS, and even Lehman.

Actually none of Ramball are exposed to weather either. Motor is protected via a housing

Anyway my experience is the two best things for a feeder are varmint plates and external box for controls/battery

This feeder design goes back well past the amount of time Alamo and Judge have been in business. Basically just took sloped panels off and extended the cone.

I’ve owned about 35 of those lamcos over the years. They perform poorly against the new designs. The Alamo spreads the most evenly and farthest of the stand and fills. But the new spin tech is performing great for me too. And at $399 you simply won’t beat it. I have them in pastures with bison cattle and hogs and have had no varmint or livestock problems.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 11:33 PM

These are sold at Loews food stores for $399.

I’ve got 3 now and they are performing flawlessly and spread far and even. Anyone who’s used the new designs that have no cage understands the importance of large diameter even spread. More deer come in because they don’t feel crowded.

https://www.spintechspreaders.com/shop/wildlife-feeders/450-lb-inverted-motor-feeder-free-shipping/

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: EwingOil
Where would you recommend purchasing the Alamo feeders from near DFW? My farm is in Red River County, so anywhere from Hico to Clarksville is no problem. BTW, thanks for such a nice review.

Look in the classified section for Alamo feeders. PM rsthomas about your question. His name is Roger.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher

I’ve owned about 35 of those lamcos over the years. They perform poorly against the new designs. The Alamo spreads the most evenly and farthest of the stand and fills. But the new spin tech is performing great for me too. And at $399 you simply won’t beat it. I have them in pastures with bison cattle and hogs and have had no varmint or livestock problems.

You talking about the old model above or are You talking about the low boys vvvvv

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 11:52 PM

I like that new model low boy. I can see where they could make you a better deal on five. I think Roger probably makes em in much smaller numbers than Lamco.

Re: New Deer Feeder - 01/22/18 11:53 PM

I was talking about the old ones, and after thinking I’d owned over 60 of those. I’m sure that new design works well. But it’s almost twice the cost of the new spintech.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum