Texas Hunting Forum

Thompson Center Compass

Posted By: Master Plumb

Thompson Center Compass - 01/15/18 10:56 PM

Any one own the Thompson Center Compass. what do you think about them?
Posted By: RMac

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 01/15/18 11:33 PM

Wife has one in 243. She took 3 deer in Oklahoma with it this season. 2 doe at about 45-50 yards and one buck at 125 yards. I sighted it in for her and it was a smooth shooting gun, accurate, which surprised me for a budget gun. 1 inch grouping at 100 yards. We bought it on sale for $275 and T/C had a $75 rebate, so for a $200 gun I didn't expect much. She loves it and who knows maybe we just got the one in a thousand jewel. I haven't spoken with anyone else who owns one, so I'm going off only our experience with the 243.

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 01/15/18 11:58 PM

Great Thank you
Posted By: A2B

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 01/16/18 01:54 AM

I have one in 6.5 creedmoor and run a suppressor on it. I took it out to 550 yards this past weekend with no problems. I am getting a 1 inch grouping at 100 yards.

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 01/16/18 03:05 AM

up
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 01/16/18 03:21 AM

I looked at one and could see why they’re $200. If that works for you, charge on. They do shoot pretty well.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 01/16/18 05:06 AM

I own one. It's a good accurate gun. It's a budget rifle. If you want more than that, you will pay accordingly.
Posted By: KeyLymePie

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 01/19/18 02:46 AM

I dont own one but was looking into them quite a bit before I found a Savage at a similar price. The people I spoke to that own them seem to like them quite a bit, the only complaint I ever heard was about the cheap synthetic stock. Hopefully Bodys will have something to fix that on the market in the near future. I would definitely buy one in a heartbeat if I needed an affordable hunting rifle. That $200 price point is hard to beat.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 01/19/18 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: KeyLymePie
I dont own one but was looking into them quite a bit before I found a Savage at a similar price. The people I spoke to that own them seem to like them quite a bit, the only complaint I ever heard was about the cheap synthetic stock. Hopefully Bodys will have something to fix that on the market in the near future. I would definitely buy one in a heartbeat if I needed an affordable hunting rifle. That $200 price point is hard to beat.

I don't have a Compass but I have a Venture and I thought the same thing when I bought it. Unfortunately, after I got it I learned the trigger guard is molded into the stock. The Compass is the same and I suspect that alone will keep most companies from making aftermarket stocks for them. I have my fingers crossed hoping Bell & Carlson will make a Medalist stock for the Venture.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 01/19/18 02:43 PM

I ordered one for a buddy and he likes it okay but when you compare it to the Ruger American, most everyone would pick the American. Savage Axis is also more popular than the TC in the lower priced rifles.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: bear64

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 01/20/18 02:40 AM

i bought the venture in 243 for my grandsons back in november, it looks cheap, feels cheap, the bolt is rough as a cobb, but it will put factory 100gr in a dime size group all day long. i doubt the deer will complain about the workmanship of this rifle.

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 05/21/18 01:45 AM

TTT
Posted By: ggarciatx

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 05/25/18 01:16 PM

Sold a few at Gander Mountain the Deer Season of 2016. It is a simple budget rifle but the they shoot accurate enough. I would take one over the Remington budget rifles any day.

People who bought them loved them and let us know. One guy bought a 243 for his daughter and went back and bought a 270 for himself.

True they are a little rough, but they will do what they have to.
Posted By: jasons

Re: Thompson Center Compass - 06/02/18 03:49 PM

Own a 243, 6.5 CM I know two others with 6.5 CM. No complaints in the accuracy department. All shoot less than 1" at 100yrds with a few diff brand bullets.
The adjustable trigger, is more difficult than most to adjust.
The stock is stiffer than savage axis, which as a big complaint on the entry level rifles like the axis.
Threaded barrel nice if have suppressor, free upgrade.
They come in a wide range of calibers, 300 Win Mag; Axis doesn't run larger than 30-06.
A year ago, you could get 75$ rebates on them. There were internet companies running sales as well, you could get one for 220-230$ (ffl fee included).
The Comapss price is now increasing though.
I like savage axis, I like TC Compass. Both shoot well, both could use finesse, but both will hunt well.

We don't have ranges longer than 100 yrds where I shoot in Louisiana. I did stretch the 6.5 out to 300yrd in pasture and was little over 3" groups shooting off crappy wobbly table.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum