Texas Hunting Forum

turkey infestation

Posted By: texaspatriot.308

turkey infestation - 01/15/18 08:11 PM

This question is probably like asking about understanding women smile I have a pasture that I have 4 feeders at and at every feeder there is literally a large flock of turkeys just waiting for it to go off, you cant run them off, they come right back. I sometimes let them eat all the corn, let them leave and set off the feeder by remote. Is there anyway to keep them away, maybe a natural deterrent. Something to put out to make them stay away? Was even wondering if Parks and Wildlife would come and trap them and move them...guess I can call them...thanks, any input appreciated.
Posted By: rickym

Re: turkey infestation - 01/15/18 08:15 PM

My wife and I would love to help you reduce the population and get our first turkeys. But the best route is likely either tpwd. But they have to have a place to transplant them to.
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: turkey infestation - 01/15/18 08:26 PM

elmer rifle food
Posted By: Bobbaganoosh

Re: turkey infestation - 01/15/18 08:37 PM

I'll help reduce the numbers too elmer
Posted By: PMK

Re: turkey infestation - 01/15/18 08:54 PM

I have a couple places they could transfer them too if needed.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: turkey infestation - 01/15/18 09:22 PM

If you feed year around, try turning off the feeders for a few months in the off season.

Re: turkey infestation - 01/15/18 10:13 PM

If I can figure out how to post a video I will. Turkey hunting is no challenge, I could probably strangle one. I chunk rocks at them, they come right back.
Posted By: Stub

Re: turkey infestation - 01/15/18 10:18 PM

Use to have some turkeys, when I put my hog panels up they quit showing up.
Maybe a coincidence?
Posted By: kry226

Re: turkey infestation - 01/16/18 04:55 AM

Wish I had a lot of turkeys. food
Posted By: Da' Hitman

Re: turkey infestation - 01/16/18 04:30 PM

Why not invite some folks from here come knock the flock down a little? I know i would definitely be in on that
Posted By: Bbear

Re: turkey infestation - 01/16/18 05:19 PM

Take a dog after them. Doesn't really matter the size of the dog.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: turkey infestation - 01/16/18 07:01 PM

Lots of offers to hunt em. I would be interested in helping thin them down too right after March 31
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: turkey infestation - 01/16/18 07:24 PM

Once spring hits they spread out and have bugs to eat. They do the same at our place along the creek. Usually set a later feeding after they head to roost.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: turkey infestation - 01/16/18 08:55 PM

Same where I hunt.
They roost in the trees and when the feeder goes off they descend down and clean up all the corn.
I've seen 60 to 80 turkeys in about three separate flocks.
Fall turkey hunting is no challenge. You could kill 50 and never put a dent in the population.
Posted By: PMK

Re: turkey infestation - 01/16/18 09:29 PM

LOL ... that reminds me of my previous leases that was covered up with turkey. One spring I went out to fill feeders and do some needed repairs on a few stands and I had my blue heeler with me, there were 30-40 turkey at the feeder when I pulled up and she launched out of the truck and into the flock of turkey, they scattered every which way and she continued chasing those on the ground after they landed, there was no calling her off from several hundred yards away ... after about 10+ minutes, she came back to the area I was in with her tongue almost dragging the ground ... the next season, I didn't see any turkey, they must have moved somewhere else. The LO even questioned me as they used to come up to his yard throughout the year but he hadn't seen them in months.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: turkey infestation - 01/16/18 09:30 PM

Pen your feeders with cattle panels. It won't keep them all away but turkeys are lazy and it has been my experience they won't jump in a pen readily. Again, some will still go but I doubt you will have the same numbers unless you have athletic birds.
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: turkey infestation - 01/16/18 09:36 PM

If you ever need a hand getting rid of them or reducing the numbers, let me know. I'm 25-30 min away. up

Re: turkey infestation - 01/17/18 08:15 PM

I wish I could have people come out, but all 3 ranches I hunt on are not mine even though I have free rein on them. Hunting is a perk I have for tending the cattle.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: turkey infestation - 01/19/18 11:27 AM

be sure to check hunt regs, Bastrop, Caldwell counties do not have a fall season, not sure what county Luling is in.
Posted By: cos

Re: turkey infestation - 01/22/18 03:06 AM

I will ask TPWD if they are interested in trapping some. Will let you know. I got the only super stocking last year on my place in Anderson County. Easterns though. But they may want some Rio's.
Posted By: cos

Re: turkey infestation - 01/23/18 01:36 AM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/technical guidance/biologist/

You should be able to connect with your county biologist and see if they are looking to trap any birds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum