Texas Hunting Forum

Way To Close

Posted By: Stub

Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:10 AM

Can you believe how close this Dip Stick put his blind up against my friend Capt. Jacks property line, it is right against the fence hammer
To make matters worse, his front shooting window is mainly overlooking Jacks property along with the right side window, only his left side window is pointed to his feeder. This knucklehead is on a 600 acre lease, no reason in Hades to put that blind anywhere close to another mans property.

The only rationale I could share with them is this person must think his lease is on both sides of the fence confused2

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:15 AM

I don't see a deer stand. Maybe it's hidden by camouflage?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:15 AM

Rude.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:37 AM

The law allows (& protects) such people. Even tho they are obviously setting up to poach on a neighbors place, or trespass.

Now, if said a-hole shoots a deer EVEN ON HIS SIDE OF FENCE, there's a good chance the deer may easily make it onto the neighbors (in this case, your friends place). If so, do you really think they will bother to call a GW or call your friend & ask permission to enter his property? Of course not. They will likely just hop the fence & grab their deer, then get back on their place.

Some people just can't hunt their own place, no matter if it's 600 acres or 6,000. They have to feel like they are drawing deer off their neighbors. They gotta be screwing somebody over, all the time.

There's got to be a law that restricts people from doing this. I don't care how it's done. No placing of deer stands or feeders within 100 yds of another property would at least be a start. There also need to be a minimum acreage.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:45 AM

Put one of those blue port-a-potties right next to it on your side of the fence....with a large "no trespassing" sign tapped on the side facing their stand....
flush
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:46 AM

I think anytime he sees someone in that stand he needs to ride around on his side of the fence and make that a brush burning area. He could even setup up one of those poppers that scare off coyotes.
Posted By: mightyp

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:56 AM

maybe put a stretch of high fence right down that line...or a wall
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:57 AM

Got any delapitated old blinds laying around? Put them up facing his windows. Crazy they placed the blind like that.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:02 AM

Some well placed game cams to catch him trespassing.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
There's got to be a law that restricts people from doing this. I don't care how it's done. No placing of deer stands or feeders within 100 yds of another property would at least be a start. There also need to be a minimum acreage.

Yeah, we need to see to it that the people on other properties are hunting how we think they should be hunting. No deer stands within 100 yards of a property line. No hunting within 100 yards of a property line. The deer stand better not be visible either lest we think they may be looking at the deer on our property!

LOL. Looks to me like he is set up to be hunting his feeder where he is safety shooting to the interior of his property and not the other way around. Looks like a considerate neighbor to me.

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:03 AM

i would also put up a wireless trail cam to catch them trespassing.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Yeah, we need to see to it that the people on other properties are hunting how we think they should be hunting. No deer stands within 100 yards of a property line. No hunting within 100 yards of a property line. The deer stand better not be visible either lest we think they may be looking at the deer on our property!

LOL. Looks to me like he is set up to be hunting his feeder where he is safety shooting to the interior of his property and not the other way around. Looks like a considerate neighbor to me.

agree

looks like he's hunting his fence line

but whatever , none of anybody's business how/what he hunts on 'his' property
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:17 AM

How would one go about positioning a stand with all 4 sides facing the feeder? If you can't do that then of course one window is going to face the neighbor. As long as he doesn't shoot across the line I don't see a problem
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:26 AM

I vote he thinks it's a cross fence and not aware that it's a property line. If he does know, he's a complete tool and I'd pull out the stops on what your friend does on his side. Dawn Mariachi practice comes to mind.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:26 AM

Couple tall poles a piece of plywood about 4 feet from his window wil solve any poaching
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Couple tall poles a piece of plywood about 4 feet from his window wil solve any poaching

now THATS an idea!

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:38 AM

How about like having a nice chat with the neighbor?
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
How about like having a nice chat with the neighbor?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuckw

now THATS an idea!

up
Posted By: Scoutdog

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:52 AM

Posted By: J.G.

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Originally Posted By: Chuckw

now THATS an idea!

up

Concur.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Scoutdog

That shield needs some wind chimes...

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 04:28 AM

cheers
Posted By: MClark

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 05:14 AM

Spray you side with deer repellent, of course accidentally some my drift over by his feeder.
Tomcat
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 05:32 AM

Put a stand up on the other side of the fence and use a varmint call every day. Problem solved.

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 12:27 PM

That's is in violation of the law.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 12:44 PM

I would just pot a sign up on yalls fenceline saying NO Trespassing under surveillance or something. That'll make him paranoid and maybe even move his stand cause who wants to be on camera? I sure as hell wouldn't even if I aint doing anything wrong.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:19 PM

It certainly would piss me off especially with a 600 acre property. Blatant idiot!!!!! I love the blocking panel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:23 PM

?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

?

Maybe he is talking about hunter harassment as the violation of the law part?
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:04 PM

peep I'd park my truck next to his blind. Or if you are not shy, take a big dump on your side of the fence when he is sitting in it for the afternoon hunt. Sure makes a person scratch their head on that deal. flush
Posted By: crooked horn

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 02:26 PM

I hate property line hunters as much (or more) than the next guy, but this setup is nowhere near as bad as I've dealt with. I currently have 3 setups on my fence that have the blinds feeders swapped: feeder next to fence, blind facing. Looks like this guy may have his windows blocked as well. Hard to tell. Local game warden "suggested" the neighbors do this with their setups, due to the legal issues involving a projectile crossing a property line. He was ignored. Nothing can be done legally.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 05:00 PM

Put a 9' high fence up then they would need a big ladder to recover the deer
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 05:24 PM

I would start by talking to him. Doesn't have to be confrontational, just a safety discussion letting him know where his shots may go if he errs even a bit to the right. And that you are not okay with anyone crossing to retrieve deer that cross fence once shot.

If that doesn't work, maybe something more will be needed. Do you have a dump where you throw carcasses? If so, move it, if no, maybe time to start one. Dig a pit on your side and then start dragging dead pigs to it.

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

?

Maybe he is talking about hunter harassment as the violation of the law part?

How the hell would that be hunter harassment if he isn’t supposed to be hunting that side of the fence?
Posted By: jskin

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 05:45 PM

Heavily put out corn all around the blind area, maybe the hogs will take over and ruin the deer hunting. Or use it as dump station for carcasses and guts

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 06:04 PM

Which part?
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 06:15 PM

I sit with my back to the property line and hunt looking into the interior of my place all the time. Don't have a blond in that spot but if I wanted one there the neighbors or anybody else's opinions wouldn't matter to me one bit.

I guess if he was 100 yards off the property line and shooting towards your place that'd be better?

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 06:28 PM

Quote:
How the hell would that be hunter harassment if he isn’t supposed to be hunting that side of the fence?

The law says nothing about sides of fences, just whether or not there is the intent to interfere with lawful hunting, which this could be considered as an intent to interference with lawful hunting. Remember, that harassment can happen from off property such as a neighbor deciding to run his chainsaw every time you show up to hunt. I am not saying it would fly, but if the hunter with the stand could articulate an argument that he is being harassed as a hunter, it could. After all, that blockage was put up in response to the hunter putting up his lawful hunting stand.

§ 62.0125. Harassment of Hunters, Trappers, and Fishermen. Summary: ... Under the section, a person may not intentionally interfere with another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife, or intentionally harass, drive, or disturb any wildlife for the purpose of disrupting lawful hunting.

It may also be illegal under related 'spite fence' and parts thereof regarding intentional obstruction of view. The blockage serves no other purpose for the owner than to intentionally block the view of the person in the hunting blind and so may therefore be an illegal construction. https://assets.recenter.tamu.edu/documents/articles/1092.pdf
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 06:30 PM

Yeah, that's too close. I once set up a bow stand about 50 yards from a neighbors fence line, and regretted it. They had lots of traffic down the road against the fence line, and I'll never set up that close again. You never know what the neighbor will be doing to distract the hunting.

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 08:10 PM

Quote:

The law says nothing about sides of fences, just whether or not there is the intent to interfere with lawful hunting, which this could be considered as an intent to interference with lawful hunting. Remember, that harassment can happen from off property such as a neighbor deciding to run his chainsaw every time you show up to hunt. I am not saying it would fly, but if the hunter with the stand could articulate an argument that he is being harassed as a hunter, it could. After all, that blockage was put up in response to the hunter putting up his lawful hunting stand.

§ 62.0125. Harassment of Hunters, Trappers, and Fishermen. Summary: ... Under the section, a person may not intentionally interfere with another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife, or intentionally harass, drive, or disturb any wildlife for the purpose of disrupting lawful hunting.

It may also be illegal under related 'spite fence' and parts thereof regarding intentional obstruction of view. The blockage serves no other purpose for the owner than to intentionally block the view of the person in the hunting blind and so may therefore be an illegal construction. https://assets.recenter.tamu.edu/documents/articles/1092.pdf

Key words "Lawfully Hunting". He can't lawfully hunt on your property without your permission. So if you are preventing them from trespassing or shooting onto your property you are not harassing them from a "Lawful" hunt.

Spite fence, maybe, but you aren't doing it out of spite you are doing it to prevent an illegal act. And it's not his home you are blocking a view of. It would be pretty tough for him to prove any damages. After reading the linked article I'm less inclined to think the hunter could successfully sue to have the pole removed.

Hanging wind chimes on the poll or dumping carcasses on your side of the fence next to his stand could be interfering with a lawful hunt. Although a basketball hoop would make it interesting.

Although I wouldn't go through the trouble of putting up a pole like that. All he would have to do is drag his stand three feet and he could see around that piece of sheet metal.

I'm not as well versed on TX laws as I am on VA. Here in VA it is illegal to retrieve downed game on another's property without permission. I would notify the hunter that he does not have permission to go on my property, even to retrieve downed game. I would make sure the fence line was properly posted for no trespassing. Then as I stated before I would set up game cameras monitoring his stand. I would do it with one on a T post in plain view of his stand and a couple others well concealed to monitor any theft or tampering of the one on the T post. Nothing like having a video of him trespassing and stealing your game camera to had to the game warden.

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: VAFish
Quote:

Key words "Lawfully Hunting". He can't lawfully hunt on your property without your permission. So if you are preventing them from trespassing or shooting onto your property you are not harassing them from a "Lawful" hunt.

Spite fence, maybe, but you aren't doing it out of spite you are doing it to prevent an illegal act. And it's not his home you are blocking a view of. It would be pretty tough for him to prove any damages. After reading the linked article I'm less inclined to think the hunter could successfully sue to have the pole removed.

Hanging wind chimes on the poll or dumping carcasses on your side of the fence next to his stand could be interfering with a lawful hunt. Although a basketball hoop would make it interesting.

Although I wouldn't go through the trouble of putting up a pole like that. All he would have to do is drag his stand three feet and he could see around that piece of sheet metal.

I'm not as well versed on TX laws as I am on VA. Here in VA it is illegal to retrieve downed game on another's property without permission. I would notify the hunter that he does not have permission to go on my property, even to retrieve downed game. I would make sure the fence line was properly posted for no trespassing. Then as I stated before I would set up game cameras monitoring his stand. I would do it with one on a T post in plain view of his stand and a couple others well concealed to monitor any theft or tampering of the one on the T post. Nothing like having a video of him trespassing and stealing your game camera to had to the game warden.

Exactly what my point was. You are not harassing the hunter, you are keeping him honest. If he has a problem with it then he’s clearly got the intention of hunting your side of the fence

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 09:27 PM

I can't imagine any game warden in the state having an issue if you put up a pole with sheet metal. Seriously, who thinks that would actually happen?
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 09:43 PM

While the stand would annoy me... throwing this wrench in the works:

It is not illegal to LOOK at the other side of that fence. While, yes, the first reaction is they are shooting something there, the person has every right to look over the fence line, just not "touch", so, in this case, adding that blockage would probably constitute harassment, especially if they decided to pick the stand up and move it 20 feet further down the fence line and you followed and added it back.

Now, the key here would be to prove that they actually shot, not intended, not thought about it, not could, but did not get a chance, that they actually took a shot and fired into another property.

So, be careful.

Annoying as hell? Yes..

Illegal? Not for them... but YOU could find yourself on the wrong side of the 'fence' if you were in this 'boat'... just an fyi.

Also not saying "I" would not do it, but.. not saying "I" would not be tempted too.. lol

Russ

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell

It is not illegal to LOOK at the other side of that fence. While, yes, the first reaction is they are shooting something there, the person has every right to look over the fence line, just not "touch", so, in this case, adding that blockage would probably constitute harassment, especially if they decided to pick the stand up and move it 20 feet further down the fence line and you followed and added it back.

Now, the key here would be to prove that they actually shot, not intended, not thought about it, not could, but did not get a chance, that they actually took a shot and fired into another property. Again, what GW is going to side with the guy with that blind there and file charges? It won't happen.

So, be careful.

Annoying as hell? Yes..

Illegal? Not for them... but YOU could find yourself on the wrong side of the 'fence' if you were in this 'boat'... just an fyi.

Also not saying "I" would not do it, but.. not saying "I" would not be tempted too.. lol

Russ

So put a stand up that blocks them in the same manner and call it a day. If they move it you can move yours, after all it isn't illegal to look.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 11:09 PM

Thats to close and I would not do that but....I try to keep our stands somewhat close to outside perimeters and feeders toward the interior side. No hunting the center of the property...thats a deers sanctuary. travel should be perimeter lines also.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Way To Close - 12/18/17 11:49 PM

1.Where is the "proof" that he is poaching?
2.A window faces your property, so what??
3.It's HIS blind on HIS property!
4.Set-up appears that he is hunting on HIS side of the fenceline. Any reason to say he is not?
5.Anything keeping you from setting up a blind, opposite side of the fence on YOUR property?
All those questions can (and will) be asked in court..
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 12:31 AM

Nothing illegal so give it up.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 12:35 AM

Originally Posted By: DH3
4.Set-up appears that he is hunting on HIS side of the fenceline. Any reason to say he is not?
5.Anything keeping you from setting up a blind, opposite side of the fence on YOUR property?

That's your blind isn't it........ roflmao
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 12:38 AM

I'd prefer someone set up like this rather than having the feeder on my side of his stand.

I'd much rather the bullet travel to the interior of his property rather than toward me.

A game camera will let you know if he is trespassing or not.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 01:31 AM

Bush league move on the neighbors part. If my neighbor did that I would first have a civil talk with him and look him in the eye and tell him his stand location is bothersome to me. I would probably offer a recriprocating agreement where both landowners agree on a distance from the boundary to not place stands. If that did not work out then I would more than likely be creative enough to persuade him to move it and not run afoul of the law. We probably wouldn't be friends either.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 04:57 AM

Put a 10x10 chain link kennel with a couple of hound dawgs in it on your fence line.

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 06:48 AM

Originally Posted By: VAFish
Quote:

Hard to argue the pole and sheet metal are to prevent an illegal act when the whole fence line isn't being protected. The hunter can still easily shoot over the fence from the side windows.

Virginia law doesn't apply to Texas.

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 07:08 AM

Interesting replies.

What would be the good Christian thing to do? Would some of the replies be appropriate for a Sunday school class?
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 09:14 AM

Interesting replies.

What would be the good Christian thing to do? Would some of the replies be appropriate for a Sunday school class?

Maybe open the dialog with him/her. Place a note in a plastic bag tape/tie it to the post next to the laddler. Have your phone # with a good time to call. May solve a problem before it becomes one.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: DH3

That's your blind isn't it........ roflmao

I'm certain of it up
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: pigplinker
Interesting replies.

Maybe open the dialog with him/her. Place a note in a plastic bag tape/tie it to the post next to the laddler. Have your phone # with a good time to call. May solve a problem before it becomes one.

I understand the "leaving a note thing" and I've seen it done numerous times, but would that really accomplish???

The dude knows it's on the property line and he knows the other side of the fence isn't his. He did it for one of four reasons:

1.) He's taking shots across the property when nobody is around

2.) Trying to spook deer from the other landowner (put his blind in a known travel area near the fence)

3.) Put his blind there because he thinks others are trespassing on his land (could possibly give someone something to think about when you cross a fence and see a blind)

4.) He has no better set-ups with the small acreage (maybe limited with creeks or canyons)

Put some cameras up and monitor activity or spend the $$$ and high fence that short section. I bet he'd get a kick outta the high fence mad
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 01:10 PM

As long as there is good habitat on your side of the fence and you are clearly not shooting across the fence, I see no foul. IMO, a problem comes into play when your neighbor has the habitat and you don't, as the case with a stand and feeder that are both at the very edge of an open pasture. In this case, it's obvious you're trying to attract deer of your neighbor's place and his habitat. Common sense seems to dictate if the stand is positioned in such a way that you're taking advantage of your neighbor's habitat resources that you don't have, you're being unethical. Also, the likelihood of you having to trespass to recover a deer comes into play. When a feeder is at the edge of an open pasture, it's very likely that anything you shoot is going to run back across the fence to your neighbor's cover. And no, this isn't negated by taking unethical, low percentage head shots. Simply put, hunting is definitely an activity where what is legal isn't always ethical.

Which brings me back to the case where I currently have a stand near a fence. We have excellent habitat in the form of oak flats on our side of the fence, and I am hunting a washout where deer routinely cross under the fence. The area on the other side of the fence is very thick and offers no shot in that direction. My stand is positioned so that I can watch a road on our side of the fence in two different directions. If I shoot a deer, it will be headed away from the fence and into habitat on our side of the fence. And if a deer approaches the fence from our good habitat, I can get off a shot where it is safely recoverable from our property.

I've also seen cases where a good pinch point was at a property line and hunters had placed stands near it on their sides of the fence. Again, I see no foul here as the pinch point is created by habitat that exist on both sides of the fence. It's a case where the two hunters might actually hunt the pinch point at the same time and be able to take a deer without fear of having to trespass to recover it.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 01:18 PM

Agree, to nothing illegal. Watch for harassment, if he can make a case.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: JohnRussell

Now, the key here would be to prove that they actually shot, not intended, not thought about it, not could, but did not get a chance, that they actually took a shot and fired into another property. Again, what GW is going to side with the guy with that blind there and file charges? It won't happen.

So, be careful.

Annoying as hell? Yes..

Russ

So put a stand up that blocks them in the same manner and call it a day. If they move it you can move yours, after all it isn't illegal to look.

I hunted a friends place in Dilley where this happened. The blinds where only 10 ft apart and both where hunting a low-heavy treed area that overlapped both properties.
I have blinds that are 100-300 yards from property lines and could still shoot deer that I watch on the neighbors property, if I had illegal intentions, I sure wouldn't make them obvious.
I do suppose setting a handful of trail cameras up would be a good idea if you indeed expected illegal hunting.
Guys obsession with getting a buck still blows me away, it is like it makes them feel like more of a man if the shoot one. The extend of illegal that I have seen and heard of guys going to just for a deer is amazing.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 03:33 PM

It's best to talk to each other.

They might of put the stand there because they have 600 acres and can see the feeder on the much smaller property and perceive it to be trying to pull deer off of their place that the small acreage doesn't support.

Could be a misunderstanding that could be worked out.

2cents
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 04:05 PM

We had the same situation many years ago in E. Texas. They put a new stand right on the fence line the day before opening day. I went to Walmart and bought 3 cheap transistor radios. I went down to that stand in the middle of the night, tuned the radios to 3 different stations, turned the volume up high and placed them within earshot of the stand. I shouldn't have done that and I regret it now but we got a good laugh out of it.

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232

The dude knows it's on the property line and he knows the other side of the fence isn't his. He did it for one of four reasons:

1.) He's taking shots across the property when nobody is around

2.) Trying to spook deer from the other landowner (put his blind in a known travel area near the fence)

3.) Put his blind there because he thinks others are trespassing on his land (could possibly give someone something to think about when you cross a fence and see a blind)

4.) He has no better set-ups with the small acreage (maybe limited with creeks or canyons)

5.) He put a blind there simply because he wants to hunt his property there.

6.) Last unused area on a multi-tenant lease.

7.) He wants to watch the traffic down the fence row.

8.) Major game trail in view at that location.

9.) That is where the hogs come in to terrorize his property.

There are all sorts of reason he may want to hunt there and the vast majority are 100% legal.

People worry about being too close, but with a decent optic, I could hunt my neighbor's property from 300 yards inside of my own. Would that mean that the blind I have set up 200 yards from the fence is too close? After all, I can see in to his property, so does that mean I am poaching his property? Not in the least. I put the stand where I thought it was optimal for that area of the property.

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 04:26 PM

My problem is not that the blind is on the fence line but the position of the blind. It should be moved out from the fence a few feet so the back/steps can be toward the fence. Then he can hunt the fence line out of both side windows and his feeder out the front with no shooting windows directly looking across the fence. As is he can not see down one side of the fence line since the back is facing that way.

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
We had the same situation many years ago in E. Texas. They put a new stand right on the fence line the day before opening day. I went to Walmart and bought 3 cheap transistor radios. I went down to that stand in the middle of the night, tuned the radios to 3 different stations, turned the volume up high and placed them within earshot of the stand. I shouldn't have done that and I regret it now but we got a good laugh out of it.

You broke the law in doing so.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 05:12 PM

There are all sorts of reason he may want to hunt there and the vast majority are 100% legal.

It's 100% legal to sleep with another man's wife but I would never recommend it.

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

It's 100% legal to sleep with another man's wife but I would never recommend it.

Indeed. Plenty of things are legal. Doesn't mean they are honest, ethical, or gentlemanly.

A 60 year old man can legally date your 18 year old daughter. How many here would be ok with that?

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 05:19 PM

My other question is this; If the neighbor is hunting right on the fenceline (like this case), do they have to wait until the deer jumps the fence & actually lands on their property, or could they shoot it mid-air? Or is there a "2 feet down" rule like wide receivers in the NFL?

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 05:30 PM

In case some of you missed this in the original comments (This knucklehead is on a 600 acre lease) so it is Not his property. There is also no other visible feeder or blind close to his setup. Jack is going to track down the landowner and see what the deal is.

You know if he would have at least had his blind running parallel with fence line with his main front window looking down on his side of the lease it would not be as bad, but to have his main front window overlooking Jacks property makes one think he is hunting both sides of the fence. Either way it is way to dang close hammer

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Indeed. Plenty of things are legal. Doesn't mean they are honest, ethical, or gentlemanly.

A 60 year old man can legally date your 18 year old daughter. How many here would be ok with that?

Depends on if he has nice land available to hunt.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
In case some of you missed this in the original comments (This knucklehead is on a 600 acre lease) so it is Not his property. There is also no other visible feeder or blind close to his setup. Jack is going to track down the landowner and see what the deal is.

You know if he would have at least had his blind running parallel with fence line with his main front window looking down on his side of the lease it would not be as bad, but to have his main front window overlooking Jacks property makes one think he is hunting both sides of the fence. Either way it is way to dang close hammer

Stub isn't the green feeder about a 100 yards inward his feeder?

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

don't know why folks can't see that before wasting bandwidth
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 06:53 PM

I've got a similar elevated blind, with the front windows looking straight at my neighbors high fence. I use them for photographing animals. I shoot out the side windows. I'm on our property, they have high fence. I still called them to let them know, I would never shoot towards their fence. They were fine with it. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 09:00 PM

[/quote]

Hard to argue the pole and sheet metal are to prevent an illegal act when the whole fence line isn't being protected. The hunter can still easily shoot over the fence from the side windows.

Virginia law doesn't apply to Texas.

Hard to argue the pole is harassment if it doesn't prevent them from shooting game on your property then.

And while Virginia law doesn't apply in Texas, I this case Virginia and Texas both require you to get permission from a land owner prior to going on their property to retrieve downed game.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo...ies-restitution

Quote:
Retrieval of Game

No person may pursue a wounded wildlife resource across a property line without the consent of landowner of the property where the wildlife resource has fled. Under the trespass provisions of the Penal Code, a person on a property without the permission of the landowner is subject to arrest

So my suggestion to talk to the hunter, tell them they don't have permission to hunt on your side of the fence or go across the fence onto your property to retrieve downed game and set up game cameras to monitor their activity is still valid.

Honestly do you really believe that a local county court would convict the land owner for hunter harassment for putting up that pole and piece of sheet metal? When the land owner asks for jury trial and its the local land owner vs the out of town hunter on the lease? Do you really think the game warden or any other local law enforcement officer would arrest the land owner?

You are going to have to show me a court case that someone was convicted of hunter harassment for simply blocking the view onto their property.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 09:10 PM

Cameras will tell you. Put some up near him on your property. If he is an honest man...let it go, if not you got proof.

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

Yes that is his feeder off to the left and further back from his blind on his side of the property (part of his setup the blind & feeder), his left window does face his feeder.
If you look at pictures 1 & 4 you can see there is a lot of open area where he could have and should have put his stand deeper into the woods away from the fence line.
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 09:47 PM

Well, once again.. I can agree it sucks... not the best neighborly thing to do.. but, he is not breaking a "law" just not being "kosher"... so, it IS harassment if he moves his stand and someone moves theirs to block it again and again and again...not because they are protecting their land, but there could be a case for the guy.

Again.. not a lawyer.. don't play one on TV.. don't give a rat's back end what anyone else does... but, at the end of the day... you may FEEL better but it may just be because you are lighter on your feet when the judge takes your last dollar.. heh

Just sayin.

Carry on!

R
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 11:03 PM

If you’re concerned about what’s going on , on that side of the fence, the most effective thing to do is buy it. That way you can control blind placement ect . I run into this when my neighbor busted up his place in smaller pieces then sold it. My new multiple neighbors approached me about our feeder placement. Apparently they saw them with their drone, after they flew it over us....... they were very concerned about us pulling deer from them . I had to assure them, 1 I’ve never shot a deer at one of our feeders. 2 my young boys do occasionally bow hunt, but they only shoot towards interior of our place, and if they’d payed closer attention during drone recon, they’d have noticed the ladder stands they use . 3 my place was for sale for the right price, and they could do as they please AFTER they bought it . This is the reason I don’t enjoy deer hunting anymore, used to be fun to sit in the quiet and get surprised by deer coming out of nowhere. Now it’s rules, and neighbors thinking they own everything in the county because they bought 22acres. Carry on folks
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Way To Close - 12/19/17 11:59 PM

A privacy fence is perfectly legal in texas and I'm not aware of any laws specifying the size your fence has to be. The pole does not appear to be harassment in any form. Not the route I would go to diffuse the situation with the neighbor, but hardly illegal.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Way To Close - 12/20/17 02:21 AM

Or put yourself a blind right next to his. Then you can visit while hunting. May turn out to be a a good guy that busts his butt 80-100 hours a week and he out this stand up to takea his kid hunting.

Looks to me that he is thinking he will never have to worry about his bullet ever leaving his property. I respect that.

He isnt leasing the interior 160 acres, he is leasing all the way to the fence line.

Deer follow fencelines all the time. A lot of landowners keep a few feet clear of brush and it makes nice lanes for deer to feed.

Why does everyone always assume the worst.
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Way To Close - 12/20/17 02:57 AM

Put blind up in front of it
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Way To Close - 12/20/17 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: sprigsss
Or put yourself a blind right next to his. Then you can visit while hunting. May turn out to be a a good guy that busts his butt 80-100 hours a week and he out this stand up to takea his kid hunting.

Looks to me that he is thinking he will never have to worry about his bullet ever leaving his property. I respect that.

He isnt leasing the interior 160 acres, he is leasing all the way to the fence line.

Deer follow fencelines all the time. A lot of landowners keep a few feet clear of brush and it makes nice lanes for deer to feed.

up

Re: Way To Close - 12/20/17 03:24 AM

Man, this Joe Sixpack is a helluva nice guy. Maybe I should invite him over sometime, ya know, when he ain't working 80-100 hours a week, preaching at church, or hunting his neighbors place, & see if he wants to date my sister.

Do you hunt in FantasyLand, or just live there?
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Way To Close - 12/20/17 03:29 AM

Are you hunting on your lease near his stand? It sounds like there is an assumption he will be shooting over the fence, and trespassing. Most ranches have a road along the fences, and are often used for stand placement. I have seen this setup many times, and would rather have someone shooting away from the fence. The frustration often develops if two hunters are hunting the same fence line, on different ranches. If so, then it is time for a civil discussion to try and resolve the issue.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Way To Close - 12/20/17 03:30 AM

I've hunted in S Texas all of my life. I'm used to fence hunters. As long as you don't cross the line we're good, it's your land. For God's sake take a kid hunting and stop fighting amongst ourselves. Have neighbors with feeders from 5' to 100 yrds from the fence. I pass on deer that jump the fence and get shot. I don't like it, but it's their right to do so. Hopefully that little deer that I passed, again, was a kid's first deer and he/she will get hooked on hunting instead of drugs. I don't worship horns, I worship memories.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Way To Close - 12/20/17 03:03 PM

Man, this Joe Sixpack is a helluva nice guy. Maybe I should invite him over sometime, ya know, when he ain't working 80-100 hours a week, preaching at church, or hunting his neighbors place, & see if he wants to date my sister.

Do you hunt in FantasyLand, or just live there?

Nope, I hunt in the real world. 2 years ago the neighbors put in a stand just like this. It is 10 feet off of our boundary line. His feeder is positioned so that he will be shooting away from boundary.

I haven no problems with that.

And if he shoots a deer on his side of the fence and it makes it to our property, I will allow him to come over, help him with any tracking and help him load it up in his truck.

If the blind and feeder were reversed, I'd have a big problem with it. As long as his bullets stay on his side of the fence he can do what he wants.

I never said he was preaching at church, if that was the case it may be the first sign that I better keep an eye on him.
Posted By: agsellers04

Re: Way To Close - 12/20/17 03:07 PM

Lots of stands get put up along fences. As long as they don't shoot across the fence it's all good. Try the polite approach, you may be surprised at the result. The end.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Way To Close - 12/23/17 04:37 PM

Caliche pit.
Posted By: wtr

Re: Way To Close - 12/24/17 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
I've hunted in S Texas all of my life. I'm used to fence hunters. As long as you don't cross the line we're good, it's your land. For God's sake take a kid hunting and stop fighting amongst ourselves. Have neighbors with feeders from 5' to 100 yrds from the fence. I pass on deer that jump the fence and get shot. I don't like it, but it's their right to do so. Hopefully that little deer that I passed, again, was a kid's first deer and he/she will get hooked on hunting instead of drugs. I don't worship horns, I worship memories.

Spot on. People just complain too much.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Way To Close - 12/24/17 08:48 PM

Had a guy put a tripod on property line of am east Texas lease. Turns out he did think my lease was his. I learned this while he was asking me what I was doing on his lease. With his gun not pointed at me... but he was for sure in a ready position. I explained he was wrong and to get with his lease boss or owner. Tripod moved later on. I always wondered if he killed a deer on my place on accident.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Way To Close - 12/24/17 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: wtr
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

Spot on. People just complain too much.

And on and on and on.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Way To Close - 12/24/17 09:49 PM

Y’all are a bunch of hypocrites. You know darn well if this was something non hunting related (wood mill, stone crusher, pistol range, whatever you want to say) you would be screaming hunter harassment.

And yet many of you on here are suggesting doing things that would classify as hunter harassment. I hate to even think this way on Christmas Eve, but dang, some of you need a serious check on your mental stability. As some have said on here (not sure if it was directed at the Neighbor in question or at some of the posts on this thread) but is the drive for big antlers enough to make most of the commenters break the law (i.e. hunter harassment).

Seriously folks, he is clearly hunting away from the fence line, the feeder is set up inside his stand. Is there a chance he shoots a deer close to the fence? Sure. But last time I checked, it’s totally legal to shoot something on your own side of the fence right? And don’t talk to me about the neighbors “intentions” if you suggested doing something earlier in a post that if done to you would be considered unethical or illegal hunter hardassment.

Re: Way To Close - 12/24/17 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
but is the drive for big antlers enough to make most of the commenters break the law

Y'all just don't get it. The "drive for big antlers" is all on the part of the fenceline hunter. He could set up 100 yds inside his own place & shoot the same deer. It's the fact that some a-hole (usually from Dallas) that wants to crowd in on his neighbors place so he can shoot THEIR deer. Who wants to have a nice place, & have some jackazz neighbor watching it? You know a good many fenceline hunters shoot across the neighbors fence, & even more will chase a wounded deer across property lines without consent.

If I bought the house next to yours in Dallas, & set up a deer stand looking over the fence at your house, backyard, or pool, then set there & watched your place, I bet you wouldn't like it so much.

It's a matter of respect to me. Why would you wanna crowd people?

Re: Way To Close - 12/24/17 11:33 PM

It is all about respect, agree Maximus. And respect is warranted in the response we give to people who first disrespect us. There were several commenters who suggesting talking to the guy. That is appropriate, if having that stand makes you upset. A good respectful conversation will go a long way to resolving this “felt” disrespect. You might find he is set up there due to a real reason but if you go over and act all “holy roller” you will probably not get to hear it.

Quick question though, if you can set up and shoot the same deer 100 yards into a property then what’s the issue with fenceline hunters? The deer will still get there, so what’s the set back you would recommend to make sure your neighbors don’t steal your deer or spy on your property?

Sounds to me like you don’t have good experiences with urbanites....maybe we should just ban dfw residents from hunting? I am sure there are no country folk that would hunt a fenceline... confused2

Re: Way To Close - 12/24/17 11:42 PM

but is the drive for big antlers enough to make most of the commenters break the law

Y'all just don't get it. The "drive for big antlers" is all on the part of the fenceline hunter. He could set up 100 yds inside his own place & shoot the same deer. It's the fact that some a-hole (usually from Dallas) that wants to crowd in on his neighbors place so he can shoot The state’s deer. Who wants to have a nice place, & have some jackazz neighbor watching it?

Fixed it for you....

If you aren’t worried about big antlers then you shouldn’t worry about someone trying to shoot a deer with big antlers, right? So the drive for property line deer stand set backs is all about big antlers too?

There’s so much assumption going on in this thread. Why must we jump to the worst assumption for everyone else but assume the best intentions for ourselves? Maybe try to think of the best in everyone and worry less about what deer are getting killed by your neighbor.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Way To Close - 12/24/17 11:59 PM

Most rifle hunters place their deer stands where they can see the farthest in multiple directions. Most land has the brush cleared out away from the fence lines so a vehicle can pass. This is why so many deer stands get placed on fence lines.

Re: Way To Close - 12/25/17 12:50 AM

Y'all just don't get it. The "drive for big antlers" is all on the part of the fenceline hunter. He could set up 100 yds inside his own place & shoot the same deer. It's the fact that some a-hole (usually from Dallas) that wants to crowd in on his neighbors place so he can shoot THEIR deer. Who wants to have a nice place, & have some jackazz neighbor watching it? You know a good many fenceline hunters shoot across the neighbors fence, & even more will chase a wounded deer across property lines without consent.

Okay, I see it now. People think that when a deer crosses their property, it becomes "their deer." It isn't the guy on the fence line that is the a-hole.

The deer belong to the state.

You are afraid of somebody seeing what you are doing???? Then don't be by the fence line. roflmao
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Way To Close - 12/25/17 01:27 AM

How does it become Their deer !!!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Way To Close - 12/25/17 09:24 PM

Way tired subject, as long as there are fencelines there will be fenceline hunters. I do not try to judge them or their actions, hopeful and expecting they don't shoot onto my side and that they practice a small level of harvest selectivity though I cannot dictate it.

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 01:56 PM

Y’all are a bunch of hypocrites. scratch ( REALLY? I bet if his stand was right up against your fence line with his main front hunting window and a side window looking directly over your property you would be singing a different tune hammer)

I hate to even think this way on Christmas Eve, but dang, some of you need a serious check on your mental stability. (With these absurd comments and assumptions you have made, maybe you are the one who should seek help muyloco confused2)

Seriously folks, he is clearly hunting away from the fence line (Is this your stand?) , the feeder is set up inside his stand.

Not sure what his intentions are and Neither do you unless it is you??? Putting a deer stand right up against your neighbors fence is not a good thing legal or not unless you have had a conversation with them and they are good with it.

What makes this scenario worse is;
1. That hunter does not own the land and 2. More importantly the way he has his deer blind positioned to where most of his hunting view is over another mans property hammer

Two things he could have done to make this either a non issues or just a inconsiderate decision.

1. Non issue; what most would agree upon would have been to place the stand a little further inside his lease area for which he has plenty of area and choices to choose from up

2. If he would have at least set up his blind with the main window running parallel with his side of the fence line instead of over looking another mans property! Think about it, he would have still had great visibility to hunt his feeder setup and would have actually had MORE hunting view of the property he is hunting, this way he have his main window giving him a greater view down his side of the fence line and to his left towards the feeder, his side window would still have great view of his feeder and a lot more hunting view of the property on the left side of the blind.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas cheers

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 03:34 PM

OK so now we know that when you hunt a blind you can only look and hunt out of the "main" window and if this "main" window is overlooking the neighbors property then the blind "is hunting" the neighbors property. What a load... hammer

Everyone is talking about this dude setting his stand back more into the property. Well, what will that do? He can still shoot deer that come from the neighbors property. He can still look over the neighbors fence and see whats walking over there. You really think 100 yards or more will make a difference in either of those concerns? And I don't have a clue what else is out there, but based on the pics here the terrain looks pretty wooded, so I don't think there would be "plenty of spaces" to place another feeder and stand without doing some serious clearing, which maybe he isn't allowed to do as a lease member.

I just don't understand why you all are bent out of shape over the direction of this guys stand. Maybe that's just the way it went up and he can't move it. Not everyone has access to tractors and trucks and maybe the lease members put up the stand and couldn't move it again? It is metal after all, not wood. but even if wood it would still require a vehicle to move it. Maybe the guy is a new hunter and doesn't know you can move stands with vehicles. I don't know. But until someone talks to him in a civil manner no one will know why he wants to have his "main" window facing into the neighbors land.

All the responses keep coming back to the blind "facing" the wrong direction...would it matter if the stairs were facing the fence? After all there is a window on the door, so the dude could still see and shoot toward the fence. Or is the issue really the set back that everyone wants? No one has given me an answer on what a "polite" set back should be, but there have been several comments on this as well...

So what is it, the view into the neighbors land or the set back? Or is it truly both?
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 03:34 PM

I think I would electrify the fence.

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 03:35 PM

OK so now we know that when you hunt a blind you can only look and hunt out of the "main" window and if this "main" window is overlooking the neighbors property then the blind "is hunting" the neighbors property. What a load... hammer

Everyone is talking about this dude setting his stand back more into the property. Well, what will that do? He can still shoot deer that come from the neighbors property. He can still look over the neighbors fence and see whats walking over there. You really think 100 yards or more will make a difference in either of those concerns? And I don't have a clue what else is out there, but based on the pics here the terrain looks pretty wooded, so I don't think there would be "plenty of spaces" to place another feeder and stand without doing some serious clearing, which maybe he isn't allowed to do as a lease member.

I just don't understand why you all are bent out of shape over the direction of this guys stand. Maybe that's just the way it went up and he can't move it. Not everyone has access to tractors and trucks and maybe the lease members put up the stand and couldn't move it again? It is metal after all, not wood. but even if wood it would still require a vehicle to move it. Maybe the guy is a new hunter and doesn't know you can move stands with vehicles. I don't know. But until someone talks to him in a civil manner no one will know why he wants to have his "main" window facing into the neighbors land.

All the responses keep coming back to the blind "facing" the wrong direction...would it matter if the stairs were facing the fence? After all there is a window on the door, so the dude could still see and shoot toward the fence. Or is the issue really the set back that everyone wants? No one has given me an answer on what a "polite" set back should be, but there have been several comments on this as well...

So what is it, the view into the neighbors land or the set back? Or is it truly both?

I hope your not this obtuse in your daily life.

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 03:39 PM

maximus, how is that obtuse? I am giving reasons for why this guy might have set up the bind like that. I think it is obtuse to see something like this stand an make an assumption that he is automatically going to be poaching form the neighbors property, esp with the feeder inside the blind further into the leased land. Why would a shot go the other way?

Can you give any more info on this that would make the issue seem more or less obtuse?

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 04:29 PM

maximus, how is that obtuse? I am giving reasons for why this guy might have set up the bind like that. I think it is obtuse to see something like this stand an make an assumption that he is automatically going to be poaching form the neighbors property, esp with the feeder inside the blind further into the leased land. Why would a shot go the other way?

Can you give any more info on this that would make the issue seem more or less obtuse?

You sound like you are that guy or you have your deer blind up against somebody else's fence with all of your hypothetical maybe's and justifying his poor choice of setup?

I was there and saw what his possibilities are/were that he could have chosen so far as setting up that blind.
Like I said, at the very least he could have set his blind up to where the stairs, main window were running parallel with his side of the fence line and as I mentioned before, this would give him a greater hunting view of his area up

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 04:43 PM

Stub, I am not trying to be a dolt here. I am just trying to understand what is so upsetting to everyone...is it the lack of set back, direction the blind is facing, or both?

And for the record, no I don’t set up on neighbors fenceline. This is not my blind. I don’t shoot across fenceines and don’t recommend anyone set up this way.

HOWEVER, I don’t own that land and neither do any of us commenting (that has been disclosed). We can not tell someone they need to take their stand down any more than they can tell us the same. It’s their property.

But, a civil discussion with the hunter might make things more understood or get somethings changed to benefit all involved.

For us to sit here and suggest there be a mandatory set back or direction with which deer stand can be set up on land not our own is just simply ridiculous. As much as it may drive me crazy for my land owning Neighbor to own cows, it is a very legal thing to do and I can not suggest he get rid of them, even if they eat my grass and wreck my fences. As much as it may chap all of us to have a fenceline hunter, it isn’t worth getting upset about as it is near impossible to prove poaching, much harder to prove intent, and much harder to get anything accomplished to remove the fenceline hunter or stand once the course of civility goes away. Calling names and acting all “holier than thou” you can’t do that kind of stuff just gets everyone riled up. It isn’t productive. Not saying you have done that stub. But there are certainly people on this thread that have suggested very illegal things done, very unethical things done, and just downright mean things done, all because they are scared the Neighbor may shoot “their deer”....seriously?

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 04:49 PM

I was there and saw what his possibilities are/were that he could have chosen so far as setting up that blind.
Like I said, at the very least he could have set his blind up to where the stairs, main window were running parallel with his side of the fence line and as I mentioned before, this would give him a greater hunting view of his area up

Ok, so the direction of the stand is the big thing for you? I want you honestly answer: if the stairs were facing the correct way according to you (parallel to the fence so his main window was facing the fenceline and not the feeder or the neighbors property) that you would not be upset with the lack of a set back....

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 05:18 PM

Stub, I am not trying to be a dolt here. I am just trying to understand what is so upsetting to everyone...is it the lack of set back, direction the blind is facing, or both?

(Answer; as many of have stated BOTH and that is out of common sense, courtesy and respect)

And for the record, no I don’t set up on neighbors fenceline. This is not my blind. I don’t shoot across fenceines and don’t recommend anyone set up this way. ( That is good to know for it seems like you were trying to justify his decision on setup)

HOWEVER, I don’t own that land and neither do any of us commenting (that has been disclosed).
(I do not own the land either but my close friend does and he does not appreciate or like it)

We can not tell someone they need to take their stand down any more than they can tell us the same. It’s their property.
(True but that is not the point!)

But, a civil discussion with the hunter might make things more understood or get somethings changed to benefit all involved.
(Agree! The land owner will get in touch with the other land owner and get it resolved)

Calling names and acting all “holier than thou” you can’t do that kind of stuff just gets everyone riled up. It isn’t productive.
Not saying you have done that stub. (Agree!)

Bottom line if this guy is NOT a first time hunter and knew the property he faced his blind at was overlooking another mans property, then he made a very poor decision period hammer

If he is a new hunter and did not know that was someone else's property and no one else on his lease advised him not to, then oh well stupid rookie mistake. But I bet somebody had to help him set that blind up should have known better scratch

Hopefully it gets resolved amicably up

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 05:28 PM

Ok, so the direction of the stand is the big thing for you? I want you honestly answer: if the stairs were facing the correct way according to you (parallel to the fence so his main window was facing the fenceline and not the feeder or the neighbors property) that you would not be upset with the lack of a set back....

If it was my land or my lease I would still not be happy that they put their stand right up against the fence line I own or am leasing.
It would certainly remove a lot of concern about his possible perceived illegal intentions and thus make it less of an issue!

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 07:23 PM

Honestly, if you can't figure it out, I'd be wasting my time trying to explain it to you. Just wait until a coupla folks put stands right on your fenceline. See how you like it. I guarandamtee you they are not the benevolent sort of honest folks, like you speculate in your posts.

Say that they shoot a deer on the fenceline, & it jumps over onto Stub's. Would you want that? Would you want people shooting deer so close to you (as close as possible), that they must come into your place to get them? Do you really think that they would contact someone, or just hop over & grab their "their" deer? If they would place their equipment more on their side (say 100yds), that would tremendously cut down on wounded animals crossing the fence. That's the very least they can do.

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 07:51 PM

maximus, this example (wounded deer jumping a fence) can happen anytime with any stand location with gun or bow.

I hear about people putting bow stands up in less than 100 acre places. I have heard of deer wounded from bow shots running over half a mile. there aren't many tracts of 100 acres that would contain that deer. are you suggesting we don't allow people to bow hunt if they own less than 2-300 acres? I mean really, there is no way to prevent a wounded deer from running.

I have spoken to all my neighbors. They are all hunters. I would have no problem with any of them coming on my place looking for a wounded deer. As a matter of fact, one texted this year asking that specific thing. We all are bow hunters primarily, own more than 400 acres (minimum) and the shooter in question has over 1000 acres. Yet he texted all his neighbors asking if they minded him going onto their land to look for "his" deer. I have no problem with that.

But big difference between this example and the one posted about here is communication. We all got together before season and chatted. We were all friendly, no one was an [censored]. So when the text came to ask for permission, no one had any problem and many said if they were there they would help look. Communication is needed here. Not more flames inciting more irritation.

I get you don't like city slickers. But if you talked to most of us, you'd probably find most of us are pretty decent folks, we just happen to have city jobs and prefer to be in the country as much as possible. for some of us, it isn't possible very often so we need to maximize our opportunities when we get them. doesn't mean we need to do things illegally, but might mean we do things differently than what some people like...

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 09:14 PM

Funny how so many people don't like to be told how they should hunt, but have no problem telling other people how they should hunt.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 09:50 PM

So for those that think this is just horrible, how far from a fenceline should you place a stand? 100 yards, 500, 1000, a mile? On a lot of places even those distances do not mean they won't still be able to see over your fence and even shoot there if they wanted. It's their land and if they want to place a stand there then great. I would be happier with it there than in several hundred yards because they are shooting away from your property. The deer are going to cross the fence even if he moves his stand.

Re: Way To Close - 12/26/17 09:59 PM

Funny how so many people don't like to be told how they should hunt, but have no problem telling other people how they should hunt.

Ding Ding Ding
Posted By: bp3

Re: Way To Close - 12/27/17 01:23 AM

High fence everything up that way you can raise them to get huge and charge 20,000 bucks for whitetail deer.
Posted By: wtr

Re: Way To Close - 12/27/17 01:42 AM

Nail meet hammer.

Re: Way To Close - 12/27/17 03:22 AM

I knew I was wasting my time. Some of you folks are so imaginative,
you should work for MSNBC.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Way To Close - 12/27/17 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
Most rifle hunters place their deer stands where they can see the farthest in multiple directions. Most land has the brush cleared out away from the fence lines so a vehicle can pass. This is why so many deer stands get placed on fence lines.
Correctimundo. I like seeing a long way. I enjoy watching deer on my neighbors property too. All but one of our setups are deep in the interior of our property. One is on the fenceline 50 feet from one neighbors high fence. I enjoy watching 200" deer on their side, not to mention the interaction between their deer and ours. I darn sure won't shoot towards their fence. The stand in the original post looks heavy, maybe that's the way it came off the trailer and they were unable to move it to a different position. confused2
Posted By: therancher

Re: Way To Close - 12/27/17 05:59 PM

Hypothetical:

The guy is hunting that blind that has more of a view of his neighbor's place than his own. And absolute booner that his neighbor has watched grow for the last 5 years is chasing a doe and hops the fence from the fence sitter's place into the neighbor's place, but since he wasn't set up to watch his property asl much as he was his neighbor's property he didn't see the "trespassing" booner until it stopped broadside 30 yards into his neighbors place. This being the middle of the week the fence sitter knows his neighbor is hard at work trying to make enough to make his next land payment. What % of hunters would take that shot knowing they'll probably never get another one?

Yeah, that's exaggerated. But I can tell you from many years of campfire stories that there is a high enough % of guys in unexaggerated situations that would take that shot and pull that sucker (145" 10pt) back under the fence, to make any poor schmuck trying to grow big deer on a low fenced ranch cringe at the sight of a blind on their fence line.

Is it legal? Yeah. Is it being a good neighbor? Not in any way.

What it without question is? The number one reason high fences are built.

Re: Way To Close - 12/27/17 06:25 PM

Rancher I think you need to hang around people that worship something other than antlers...

You see, I was raised that there is a higher power that knows what we do even when no one else will. I believe the way I live my life is a reflection of my devotion to Him, and even if I wanted to shoot that deer, that living the moral way is the best even if it doesn't benefit me. Do right, not say you did right.

This was perfectly illustrated by my son who last day of youth extended season two years ago had a big 10 walk in to our hunting area. We had been chasing him for the previous three years, never seeing him in person but he was on camera a lot. Biggest deer either of us would have ever seen, let alone shoot. This deer comes in along a fence line, I see him and as he walks to our area my son can't catch eyes on him. He came up to our food plot, stopped for a few seconds, and then instead of jumping into the food plot dropped into a ravine and came up near our feeder. He jumped into the feeder which didn't give us a good shot. Just as legal time expired the buck jumped out of the feed pen into the food plot. He gave us shot opportunity after shot opportunity and we had enough light left to shoot, but it was past legal time.

So, I ask you, how many of those campfire friends would have taken the unethical, immoral, illegal shot at the deer of a lifetime? How many of your campfire friends would have taken the rifle from the kid and shot the deer initially, even though it was youth season?

I like to think that my hunting friends and my hunting family would pass knowing it wasn't the right thing to do. I know when given the temptation, my son and I passed.

I am not shooting a deer over a fence on a neighbors property.

Re: Way To Close - 12/27/17 06:35 PM

Rancher I think you need to hang around people that worship something other than antlers...

You see, I was raised there is a higher power that knows what we do even when no one else will. I believe the way I live my life is a reflection of my devotion to Him, and even if I wanted to shoot that deer, that living the moral way is the best even if it doesn't benefit me. Do right, not say you did right.

This was perfectly illustrated by my son who last day of youth extended season two years ago, we had a big 10 walk in to our hunting area. We had been chasing him for the previous three years, never seeing him in person but he was camera a lot. Biggest deer either of us would have ever seen, let alone shoot. This deer comes in along a fence line, I see him and as he walks to our area my son can't catch eyes on him. He came up to our food plot, stopped for a few seconds, and then instead of jumping into the food plot dropped into a ravine and came up near our feeder. He jumped into the feeder which didn't give us a good shot. Just as legal time expired the buck jumped out of the feed pen into the food plot. He gave us shot opportunity after shot opportunity and we had enough light left to shoot, but it was past legal time.

So, I ask you, how many of those campfire friends would have done the unethical, immoral, illegal shot at the deer of a lifetime (it was for us, probably not for many on here)? How many of your campfire friends would have taken the rifle form the kid and shot the deer initially, even though it was youth season?

I like to think that my hunting friends and my hunting family would pass knowing it wasn't the right thing to do. I know when given the temptation, my son and I passed.

I am not shooting a deer over a fence on a neighbors property.

I hang around some really awesome folks (some who value antlers and some who value meat, and almost all value both).

I have also been at campfires/watercoolers/feed stores/business lunches/you name it with people who don't share your and my ethics. Life is like that. You don't get to decide who you rub elbows with in many situations.

I can assure you (even if you don't realize it) you too have met and broken bread with MANY people who don't share your level of ethics.

My point stands. There are way too many people out there who would take that shot for a landowner to not cringe at the sight of a blind on their fence. If they have a lot invested in their place.

Re: Way To Close - 12/27/17 06:45 PM

Rancher, I know what you are saying, and I am sure I have broken bread with some people like that.

However, when I see something like a stand on the fence with a feeder away from the fence, the only thing I think is the person is obviously hunting a feeder on their property, not the neighbors property.

I try to see the best in humanity, knowing it is a fallen world. I try not to be too cynical and see the worst in humanity, although my profession does sometimes allow my mind to sink to the dark side, I try hard to bring myself out of it quickly. And that's where I find my time the woods very helpful, it refreshes me to the point where I can remember why I do what I do.

Re: Way To Close - 12/27/17 08:19 PM

Rancher, I know what you are saying, and I am sure I have broken bread with some people like that.

However, when I see something like a stand on the fence with a feeder away from the fence, the only thing I think is the person is obviously hunting a feeder on their property, not the neighbors property.

I try to see the best in humanity, knowing it is a fallen world. I try not to be too cynical and see the worst in humanity, although my profession does sometimes allow my mind to sink to the dark side, I try hard to bring myself out of it quickly. And that's where I find my time the woods very helpful, it refreshes me to the point where I can remember why I do what I do.

Sweat, blood, years of spending every weekend at ranches (often 8 hours away) while working 60 hour weeks, hauling countless tons of feed and putting it out, building infrastructure, blinds, foodplots, taking hundreds of thousands of pics when cams were 35mm film, getting those pics over time (of deer you improved) that are soooo valuable in promoting a property that, when you sell it and re-invest ALL the profit into a new ranch (so that I could "retire" at 52 and work for myself instead of "the man"), will make you view someone cherry picking off your fenceline somewhat disdainfully.

It's all good, I'm reaping the benefits of the effort now and wouldn't change a thing.

And I don't worry at all about my fencelines now. Other than watergaps.

You see I'm not someone hunting on a relative's place, or paying a flat nominal fee for a lease. My life was heavily invested in improving the quality of deer on low fenced ranches for many years.

That influences your perspective. If that makes me greedy I'm good with it. I personally see a very good side to greed. Without it we would still be living in the stone age.

Re: Way To Close - 12/27/17 08:23 PM

rancher, I get ya. I really do. I don't have the years of experience behind me like you do, but I have a lot of hard work and want to see the rewards of it just as much as you do.

I don't see greed as a bad thing, until it turns into evil greed. We are all greedy, human nature. When it turns in covetousness, then we have problems, as evidenced by this thread and other threads. the way some people on here have suggesting dealing with this stand are nothing short of evil.

All for something we can no more control than the wind, unless you want to put a (high)fence on it...
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Way To Close - 12/28/17 01:03 AM

. No kidding
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Way To Close - 12/29/17 03:57 AM

Nice base on that blind!
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Way To Close - 12/29/17 11:04 AM

Burn it flame

Re: Way To Close - 12/29/17 11:08 AM

Ever seen There will be blood? You know, Daniel Day Lewis? Wooden rigs look nice on fire. They get burned on Caddo lake and in other turf war situations.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Way To Close - 12/29/17 01:07 PM

Quote:

And that's the way more and more ranches are headed, thinking about doing the same thing, I explained my situation on another thread. My disappointment in people continues to expand, just hi-fence and remove the headaches! Fence lines are a shared boundary between two people that should be respected by both sides. The it's mine and I'll do what I want goes both ways and most of the time it the one encroaching on the fence lines that loses. A hi-fence offers better protection of our property and the game within it resulting in a plus plus for me. A hi-fence either completely removes the opportunity or greatly lessens the opportunity for the series of 5-20 acre lots to the south of successfully taking a deer. The funny part is I'm the one who will be the bad guy, not the ones that have 7 blinds strung along the fence line that shot 22 deer last year. I can live with that and sleep well.

Re: Way To Close - 12/29/17 02:58 PM

Your not the bad guy, I am grin just kidden. Most hunters dont like it. Kinda like most duck hunters dont want anybody raining pellets on them. The green law came into a camp in the late 70s and asked who has combat boots on? The guilty one hollared!! Everybody has these boots!! The law said, and yours are making tracks on the neighbors property. He was slinging arrows at critters out of a tripod across the fence row and was retrieving more than arrows. It's nothing new, just aint right is true. I always thought there was a 200ft rule.

Re: Way To Close - 12/29/17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Quote:

And that's the way more and more ranches are headed, thinking about doing the same thing, I explained my situation on another thread. My disappointment in people continues to expand, just hi-fence and remove the headaches! Fence lines are a shared boundary between two people that should be respected by both sides. The it's mine and I'll do what I want goes both ways and most of the time it the one encroaching on the fence lines that loses. A hi-fence offers better protection of our property and the game within it resulting in a plus plus for me. A hi-fence either completely removes the opportunity or greatly lessens the opportunity for the series of 5-20 acre lots to the south of successfully taking a deer. The funny part is I'm the one who will be the bad guy, not the ones that have 7 blinds strung along the fence line that shot 22 deer last year. I can live with that and sleep well.

“Funny thing is” I learned long ago that if you do more than sit in a chair and breathe, you will always be a bad guy to someone.

You and I know why high fences go up. I don’t lose one bit of sleep over the knowledge that many folks view me as a “bad guy”.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Way To Close - 12/29/17 10:39 PM

entertaining read....interesting that 90% of what's been posted here as a "remedy" is most certainly a violation of law....the person in the blind, although having committed a bit of a dack-move(IMO), has (thus far) committed no crime....
Posted By: CTK84

Re: Way To Close - 01/02/18 03:24 PM

Yawn
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum