Texas Hunting Forum

Venison Donation

Posted By: Wreckem04

Venison Donation - 12/11/17 04:20 PM

Would anyone know where i could donate about 100lbs of processed deer meat in the DFW area? We are about to cull several doe at the end of the season and the meat will be more than enough for my family and friends so i'm estimating that i'll have about 100lbs+/- to donate. NO, i will not just give it to you... we want to help those in need. any info would be appreciated
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 04:30 PM

Go to the Hunters for The Hungry thread in the Deer Hunting section.

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 05:03 PM

appreciate it! I've been there. theres just no one in the DFW area
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 06:09 PM

DALLAS David's Meat Market, Inc. 4010 N Jupiter Rd. Garland (972) 495-8315
Skinned deer only
DENTON Golden Triangle Meat Plant 203 South Jefferson Pilot Point (940) 686-2456
DENTON Syracuse's Custom Meats 13794 Old Denton Rd. Roanoke (817) 379-2230
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 06:13 PM

Sadly it is a program that just never really took off.
Ever since TACAA took over processor participation plummeted, I don’t know why.

There are also a few processors that claim to donate meat to the program but they don't always do what they're supposed to, sometimes they sell it as "someone never came back to pickup their meat".

If they aren't listed on HFTH website as 'participating meat processors / registered processors' there is no accounting for what happens to the meat you donate.

---> HFTH / Feed Tx
Posted By: DeerSlayer31

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 07:40 PM

Ill buy it from from you. Shoot me a pm.
Posted By: brianaustintx

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Wreckem04
Would anyone know where i could donate about 100lbs of processed deer meat in the DFW area? We are about to cull several doe at the end of the season and the meat will be more than enough for my family and friends so i'm estimating that i'll have about 100lbs+/- to donate. NO, i will not just give it to you... we want to help those in need. any info would be appreciated

Honestly, maybe call up a few local "soup kitchens" or churches that feed the underprivileged. I don't see Goodwill accepting any deer, but the smaller church led or mom and pop style places, I'd assume, would be much more willing to accept it.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: DeerSlayer31

I wouldn’t recommend that.

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 09:04 PM

its not for sale
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 09:29 PM

North Texas Food Bank
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 09:42 PM

My dad helps with the food pantry for a church in Eastland TX. I’m sure they will take it. Send me a PM If that’s on your rout west where you could drop it off.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 09:44 PM

It's a set up !!! bolt
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Venison Donation - 12/11/17 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB

It's a set up !!! bolt

What he means is that it is against the law for you as a hunter to sell venison.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Venison Donation - 12/12/17 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: brianaustintx
Originally Posted By: Wreckem04

Honestly, maybe call up a few local "soup kitchens" or churches that feed the underprivileged. I don't see Goodwill accepting any deer, but the smaller church led or mom and pop style places, I'd assume, would be much more willing to accept it.

They won’t. I’m a caterer and on multiple occasions we’ve had a ton of food left over for one reason or another. We’ve tried multiple times to give t to somebody. Called churches, homeless shelter, charities, nobody is willing to risk taking food from a stranger. Most will only accept prepackaged dry goods. Most of them are required to buy their own perishable items apparently.

We eventually quit trying to donate stuff.
Posted By: upsslim

Re: Venison Donation - 12/12/17 12:31 PM

Call your local game warden. They know people in your area who can use the meat.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Venison Donation - 12/12/17 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
North Texas Food Bank

They will accept if it is processed, packaged, and labeled properly.

Deliver to the DM facility, 4202 Dan Morton Dr. Dalls, Tx.
I’ll try to get the specifics and post later
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Venison Donation - 12/12/17 03:18 PM

In Denton we have a large homeless population now thanks to the train that runs to Dallas. Anyway, there is a place there called "Our Daily Bread" that prepare meals for people. It is worth contacting them, they do a lot of very good work keeping the homeless fed.

Re: Venison Donation - 12/12/17 03:42 PM

thanks Stevarino!
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Venison Donation - 12/13/17 06:21 PM

Sometimes a local church will know of needy families.
I did this last year. A friend at the office said a couple family's at his church were truly in need. He was putting together some items for the family's and asked if I had any venison. I think I had about 40# in the freezer. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum