Texas Hunting Forum

Good hunting pack??

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Good hunting pack?? - 12/05/17 10:32 PM

I want to buy a hunting back pack for my 12 yr old son. What's a good one for basic gear with some extra pockets? I don't want a big one, and if it's a compact pack, that would be good also.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/05/17 10:34 PM

I use the badlands Cabela’s exclusive axis packet
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/05/17 11:52 PM

I use a 5.11 Rush 72, the biggest one, for everything, matches and hunting. It is well thought out, and lighter than an Eberlestock. They make a smaller Rush 24 also. Look at the specs for dementions and weights.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/05/17 11:59 PM

They can be hard to find, but I use a camo carry bag that includes a shoulder strap that makes it very quick and easy to slip on and off. Some might scoff at using a "shoulder bag" but it's much like the original "possibles" bag carried by trappers and mountain men. It also has shorter hand straps that makes it easily to carry over short distances, such as between the house or trailer and vehicles or ATV. It has separate compartments that makes it easy to locate items.

What's most surprising is where I found it - Bucee's.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/06/17 12:08 AM

I'm sure there is nicer out there but I just went to Academy and bought their deluxe model. It works fine for carrying a lot of stuff.
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/06/17 12:13 AM

I had to build my own to get exactly what i wanted, got it all on ebay, bought the shoulder bag for 12 bucks then smaller pouch for my rangefinder and larger pouch for binos. This holds all my essintials , knives flaslights gloves etc. no idea why my pics always end up sideways,

Posted By: syncerus

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/06/17 06:55 PM

The 5.11 Rush 24 works for me. I’ll fill up anything that I carry, so I force sanity by using a smaller pack.
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/06/17 08:03 PM

I use an Eberlestock backpack most of the time and bought it at the American Shooting Center shooting range. They were selling them for $70.00 cheaper than everybody else so I bought one. I bought a cheaper backpack from Amazon and it’s gotta be the best pack I have found for the money. It has an insulated area for a water bladder area too. I have bought backpacks that cost over $100 in the past and a lot of them lack certain features or just don’t hold up over time. This one that I bought from Amazon is very well made and comfortable to wear. I had a discectomy surgery years ago that the doctor screwed up so I still have major lower back issues, but I can wear this one to and from my blind without screwing my back up. I am going in next week for a 3 hour lower back fusion surgery so my season is going to be cut short this year. I am hoping to make it back out by the middle of Muzzleloader season with the help of my buddy. Definitely check out this backpack because they are well worth the money! I bought one in the digital camo pattern.

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/06/17 08:32 PM

Look for military web gear on eBay. A set of the suspenders, a belt, 2 ammo pouches and fanny pack. Does double duty, as a bird hunting set up. I have had mine since 1970. During deer season the fanny pack holds knives, extra drink and other necessary things. The ammo pouch will hold 2 sandwiches and a can of Coke.

Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/06/17 08:46 PM

Posting a lot of pics here, so sorry about that lol. This will give you a better view of it all packed up. It is also a compact backpack so it’s not like a long backpack like the ones with frames and would fit a 12yr old kid very well. I am a short 5’ 5” tall Italian and most kids are taller than me these days lol. Check out the dimensions of it on Amazon.

Posted By: aggie-01

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/06/17 09:16 PM

Drago Gear Tracker backpack is what I bought my 12 year old and it works great for him!
http://www.dragogear.com/products/backpacks/tracker-backpack-1.html
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/06/17 09:46 PM

I like this one. Been good to me for a year through brush and just a lot of walking.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/06/17 10:08 PM

The one I still like the best is the old Alice pack. Get them at army navy surplus for $25-$30 dollars. It is built to last forever and fairly quiet to get into. You will probably end up using it. It is more mid size though, so it may be bigger than what you are looking for. Good luck and enjoy hunting with your son.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/06/17 10:49 PM

I forgot to mention that I also use the Propper OTS XL shoulder sling bag when I need to travel light; it's also a winner.
Posted By: cazador1022

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/10/17 03:16 PM

thumbs up...

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Look for military web gear on eBay. A set of the suspenders, a belt, 2 ammo pouches and fanny pack. Does double duty, as a bird hunting set up. I have had mine since 1970. During deer season the fanny pack holds knives, extra drink and other necessary things. The ammo pouch will hold 2 sandwiches and a can of Coke.

Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/10/17 03:22 PM

Eberlstock
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Good hunting pack?? - 12/10/17 04:31 PM

I’m primarily a deer blind hunter, so I don’t buy into all of the pack hype. If you do a lot of spot and stalk/mountain hunting, it’s important I’m sure. I bought a camp backpack with a couple pockets st academy for $30 and it’s been just fine.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum