Texas Hunting Forum

Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup?

Posted By: DancesWithSquirrels

Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/08/17 11:18 PM

Hello, I recently purchased some Fleetwood Carbon Arrows, and I'm a little concerned that the total weight of the arrow might be a bit too light for deer. I shoot a PSE Archery Stalker recurve, 45# draw around 28 inches. I'll list the specifications that I intend to use.

Arrow spine: 500
Arrow weight: 201.19 - 6.49 GPI (31 inch arrow, so 201.19 grains)
Broad head: 135 grains - Zwickey Eskilite 2-Blade Screw-In Broadheads
Nock: 15 grains
Insert: 10 ish grains
So in total, this adds up to 361.19 grains (if I did this correctly). Would this be adequate enough?
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/08/17 11:39 PM

Any idea on the FPS you'll be getting with this setup?

With that arrow weight you'll need about 245-250 FPS to generate enough Kinetic Energy to get good penetration on a decent size Whitetail.

Re: Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/08/17 11:43 PM

Dang, I honestly couldn't tell ya.

Re: Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/08/17 11:43 PM

Is there a formula or chart I could use to figure that out?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/09/17 01:32 PM

No worries, just put the arrow in the right spot. up
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/09/17 03:20 PM

Not to worry. Keep your shots under 25 yds.

You have chosen a good 'cut on contact' broadhead. Make CERTAIN it is sharp before using it (read, sharpen it)!

If you put it in the right spot, your arrow/broadhead combination will work just fine.

You DON'T have to get a 'pass-through' to cleanly kill a deer. But you do want as much penetration as is possible with your set up. So...get that broadhead SHARP, put it tight behind the shoulder (stay off the shoulder bone) and you'll be fine.

Re: Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/09/17 08:19 PM

Y'all are the best, appreciate the help!
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/10/17 06:29 PM

Okay dumb question but is your draw length 28” with this recurve? If it is and you are pulling 45#’s from it, it should be fine for deer and hog hunting with. But it really all depends on how far you are planning to shoot at something and if you are going to be shooting from the ground or high up in a ladder stand. What is the max distance that you are consistent at. If you can’t get those Zwickey 2 blade broadheads razor sharp then try some G5 Montec 3 blade broadheads. Also if you want to stick with using carbon arrows, check out Gold Tip Warrior carbon arrows. You can always find them for cheap money and then you could use the Gold Tip F.A.C.T. Weight inserts to add some weight to your arrows. I picked up 2 dozen shafts on sale at Lancaster Archery and put 4” feathers on them. I use them with my Samick Red Stag recurves and they fly well. For the bows that I built, I use the tapered wood shafts so there isn’t any bump when shooting off the shelf. Hope you have a great season!

Re: Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/11/17 05:59 AM

That's where I'm drawing, yes. I'm definitely going to get some weight inserts from 3 Rivers Archery some time soon to just play around and see what I like. Definitely not gonna shoot anywhere past 20 yards. Thanks for the information!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/11/17 06:14 AM

You can get weight tubes from http://www.3riversarchery.com to increase the weight of your arrows and perhaps weighted inserts with them.

For my 45lb setup I am shooting Easton Axis traditional arrows with 5 inch feather fletching, 75gr brass insert and 125gr magnus stingers at 30.5 inches for about 524grains if I recall correctly. They fly like darts from my bear Kodiak Magnum 45lb with me drawing it 29 inches.

The weight tubes are in 3 5 or 8 grains per inch and fill the arrow from the insert to the nock.

Like the others said your setup can work I just prefer a little more mass to the arrow.

Re: Traditional Hunting Arrow Setup? - 11/12/17 04:34 AM

Those are the exact inserts I was planning on getting. So, with a 6.49 GPI arrow, an added weight insert at 3 grains would equal 9.49 GPI correct? I just wanna make sure I'm doing this all right.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum