Texas Hunting Forum

Do all counties have this law?

Posted By: Trophytaker3

Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 04:07 PM

......Where the antlers have to be outside of the ears in alert position? I know in Montgomery they started it several years ago. Is it a Statewide rule or certain counties? confused2
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 04:09 PM

Certain counties.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/seasons/county-listing/
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 04:18 PM

No

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 04:20 PM

Okay, Thanks.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 08:23 PM

Questions like this make me SMH. They issue a TPWD Hunting annual for a reason, you should read it.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Trophytaker3
......Where the antlers have to be outside of the ears in alert position? I know in Montgomery they started it several years ago. Is it a Statewide rule or certain counties? confused2

To be exact, the letter of the law has nothing to do with a measurement referencing the deer's ears.

Originally Posted By: TPWD Definition of legal bucks in Counties with Antler Restrictions
"...a legal buck is a buck deer having at least one unbranched antler, or an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. The inside spread requirement does not apply to any buck that has an unbranched antler. Not more than one buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater may be taken."

If you use a deer's ears for a measurement, like the illustration in the Outdoor Annual, you better be sure those ears are 13" tip to tip.

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Questions like this make me SMH. They issue a TPWD Hunting annual for a reason, you should read it.

I didn't get one this year when i got my license. We usually get one free, and i didn't see any anywhere.

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog

To be exact, the letter of the law has nothing to do with a measurement referencing the deer's ears.

Originally Posted By: TPWD Definition of legal bucks in Counties with Antler Restrictions
"...a legal buck is a buck deer having at least one unbranched antler, or an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. The inside spread requirement does not apply to any buck that has an unbranched antler. Not more than one buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater may be taken."

If you use a deer's ears for a measurement, like the illustration in the Outdoor Annual, you better be sure those ears are 13" tip to tip.

Im going from what my brother always told me, if the antlers at the widest part are at the outside of the ears, its legal if not illegal
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 09:51 PM

Hopefully you're kidding.

There this thing called the internet on it the TPWD has a web site, they have all sorts of information, the rules, regulations & such, for free online.

Probably best to spend some time reading, before you go hunting again...

---> TPWD <--- click on the bold red letters.
Posted By: Paluxy300blk

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 09:59 PM

I didn't get one this year when i got my license. We usually get one free, and i didn't see any anywhere.

You owe it to yourself to visit the TPWD website and familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations in the county/zone where you are hunting. Don't take a chance and mistakenly take game outside of the rules. It could cost you!

You can download a PDF version of the entire rules and regulations. I keep the current copy on my phone.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/06/17 10:22 PM

It costs lots of money to print all those manuals. I've been in the printing industry for 20 years and honestly, I'm glad they were out when you got your licence, they are a waste of our money. Nothing against you personally of course. Everything in that manual is on the TWPD website and obviously you know how to get around on-line. As far as folks getting bothered by you asking, they must have something else eaten at em. It is very easy to ignore a post and move on if you don't like it.
My property is in East TX too and now I have this regulation as well. I think it's a stupid rule, but what do I know?

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 12:09 AM

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF OTHER COUNTIES HAD THIS RULE!

rifle
Posted By: djs303

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 12:27 AM

There is also an app you can download onto your smartphone from TPWD.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/app/
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

up
Posted By: Unclek

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 04:26 AM

Ok so a little friendly advice before you post a question on a forum where you want a simple answer
Take 5 min to do a check before you get reamed!
Almost every hunter that I know has read that book front to back 5 times since they where
14, if they were raised in Texas.
It was a simple question to answer but testosterone is high right now!
Next time just say I'm lazy lol lol
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 04:12 PM

He didn't say he didn't know the laws of HIS county. The forum should lighten up IMO
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
He didn't say he didn't know the laws of HIS county. The forum should lighten up IMO

x2
Posted By: GLC

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

x2

X3
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 06:11 PM

Posted By: BOONER

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 06:27 PM

Just lots of good ol "Judgmental Christian Folks" on here is all!
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 09:01 PM

Im going from what my brother always told me, if the antlers at the widest part are at the outside of the ears, its legal if not illegal

The ears have nothing to do with whether it is legal or not, I don't know how else to answer your original question. The law is based on a specific measurement expressed in inches.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/07/17 09:59 PM

Posted By: Big8

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/08/17 01:35 AM

All counties have different rules, I wouldn't dare go hunting without reading this years edition of TPWD annual, what a great way to get in trouble with the Game Warden!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/08/17 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: djs303
There is also an app you can download onto your smartphone from TPWD.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/app/

I do not pick up an annual any more, because I have this app on my phone, 365.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/08/17 02:01 AM

I have the internet for info also but I pick up 2 each year.
Posted By: t george

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/08/17 07:17 PM

Some good info here, for those of you who helped the guy and suggested some good resources: Thank you for promoting the friendly atmosphere this form usually has..... for the rest of you high and mighty hunters lighten the heck up.....
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/09/17 05:53 AM

The poor guy just asked a simple question. All that self-righteous indignation must really be a burden for some of you to carry around all the time.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Do all counties have this law? - 11/09/17 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By: t george
Some good info here, for those of you who helped the guy and suggested some good resources: Thank you for promoting the friendly atmosphere this form usually has..... for the rest of you high and mighty hunters lighten the heck up.....

I am going to have to agree cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum