Texas Hunting Forum

Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns

Posted By: Night Skunk

Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 10/29/17 09:48 PM

As soon as I could see the 14 day forecast to opening weekend it added negative to negative. Hunting near Brady it's calling for a low of 60 opening morning and a high of 87. Not ideal but at least it's opening weekend!
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 10/29/17 09:51 PM

Wish this could have opening weekend weather has been perfect!!!!!!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 10/29/17 09:59 PM

Doesn't much matter to us, if it is chilly we will see 20 deer at the feeder, if it gets warm we will see 20 deer at the feeder.
Posted By: Trophytaker3

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 10/30/17 12:04 AM

Lo in conroe for opening day is 68.

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 10/30/17 12:05 AM

scratch that, 64. bang bang
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 10/30/17 12:12 AM

I killed my biggest buck ever the afternoon of opening day a couple years ago. It was warm then too and I had sat in a tripod as long as I could with out seeing much of anything and burning up. Spotted him walking back to my truck, stalked him and shot him.

So you never know. Hunt when you can.

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 10/30/17 12:55 AM

Nothing ideal about next weekend other than its opening weekend. Regardless of temperature, full moon and plenty of acorns keeping them away from corn I'm still pretty axcited. Been doing this for a long time and the excitement never goes away.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 10/30/17 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Doesn't much matter to us, if it is chilly we will see 20 deer at the feeder, if it gets warm we will see 20 deer at the feeder.

Sound real challenging.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 10/30/17 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Sound real challenging.

It could be. There are 20 of them to choose from. confused2

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 02:27 PM

My opening day is gonna be a bust. High of 84, low of 70. and Humid, it stays pretty much the same this weekend, but the rest of the week is lows in the 50's again. Im sure the deer will still come to the corn if its warm, but i dont wanna be sweating in the stand bang bang

2cents
Posted By: Western

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 02:29 PM

Yes sir, I'll be hunting in Sammy Hagar attire grin

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Night Skunk
Nothing ideal about next weekend other than its opening weekend. Regardless of temperature, full moon and plenty of acorns keeping them away from corn I'm still pretty axcited. Been doing this for a long time and the excitement never goes away.

Luckily, where i hunt, its about 99.99999% pine trees with about 0.00001% oak trees, so the deer are really gobbling the corn up.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 02:39 PM

Only good thing about the heat is it will help ruin the acorns on the ground.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub

Yes sir! That and the good rain we had this week should help the rot set in

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Drogers6771

Y'all must be covered in acorns, deer are eating them here almost as fast as they fall, wife had to put wire around her roses because the deer where getting the acorns that fall in the flower bed LOL

They are still taking a number at the feeder with corn/protien mix tho

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Y'all must be covered in acorns, deer are eating them here almost as fast as they fall, wife had to put wire around her roses because the deer where getting the acorns that fall in the flower bed LOL

Dennis I still have acorns in the trees nuts

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Dennis I still have acorns in the trees nuts

I do too, live oaks seemed to have fallen 1st, now I have some other oaks dropping
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 05:36 PM

You never know what you'll see. I had a good friend that went to a deer blind to put in a shelf and make a few interior repairs, knowing full well that it was too hot and he wouldn't see much of anything. Took his rifle just in case. Was using a power drill to fasten the new shelf in and a 150" monster buck come out to an opening to look up at the blind and see what was doing on. 30 seconds later, he had a new personal best. Sometimes luck can be on your side. You never know what will cross your path in the woods. What seems like crappy hunting weather may just turn into a record day.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 05:45 PM

I would rather be there on a warm day than be elsewhere thinking about it.

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
You never know what you'll see. I had a good friend that went to a deer blind to put in a shelf and make a few interior repairs, knowing full well that it was too hot and he wouldn't see much of anything. Took his rifle just in case. Was using a power drill to fasten the new shelf in and a 150" monster buck come out to an opening to look up at the blind and see what was doing on. 30 seconds later, he had a new personal best. Sometimes luck can be on your side. You never know what will cross your path in the woods. What seems like crappy hunting weather may just turn into a record day.

up
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/02/17 07:06 PM

very few acorns on our place near Paris. They have been hitting the corn.

Z
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/03/17 01:35 AM

This is why I'm going the second weekend. Calling for lows in the 40s and highs around 70.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/03/17 12:02 PM

Quit your batching about how it is going to be. At least you are getting to go as I am stuck in the work place and have to wait another week.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/03/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
up

One year it was pouring down rain and I noticed several doe in a food plot/feeder pen on my left about 150 yds out. During a lull I shot one & the rest ran to a plot 300 yds away from the 1st plot but 175 yds from the blind on my right. Put a 2nd doe down at that one........ You will never know unless you're out there!
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/03/17 03:18 PM

Crazy hot, but I'm still going tomorrow. Sunday is going to be too windy in my neck of the woods in NE Texas.

I've had zero luck on windy days in 30 years. Then again, those weird, calm days with the sun shining where you don't even see a bird, or a squirrel, are the pits too.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/03/17 05:59 PM

If the deer are going to move they will move.
Weather does have an effect on them, but that isn't the only thing that controls their movement.
Just go and enjoy being out there whether you see something or not, you won't know unless you go.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/03/17 09:22 PM

I’ll hunt in the morning for sure, not the afternoon if it’s 85 degrees. And most likely my morning hunt will be a pig hunt.

That said, there is a real nice 8 point on the place. I don’t see him often, but lately he’s traveling alone. Early signs of the rut? I have found one scrape, but don’t know what buck did it.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/03/17 09:30 PM

The only certain thing about hunting is you have no chance by staying at home.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/03/17 10:19 PM

As hot as it is I'm just going to pretend I'm fishing for deer.
Posted By: LG

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/05/17 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: chalet

I like the way you think
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/05/17 01:29 PM

I'm seeing does and young bucks hanging together with no indication of being interested in each other.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/05/17 02:30 PM

Note to self...don't hunt in 85 degree weather and 90 plus % has humidity.

No movement yesterday morning. Not sure that rut has started after looking at camera picks.
Posted By: Paluxy300blk

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/05/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: chalet

This was my attitude and it paid off. I caught a decent cull buck. Didn't bother going out in the morning. Wore shorts and flip-flops for my late afternoon hunt. I looked more prepared for fishing than hunting. I didn't hear any other gunshots when in years' prior I would have heard a dozen. Then again, I was hunting suppressed, too!

Re: Opening Weekend: Hot with a full moon and plenty of acorns - 11/06/17 07:40 PM

I made it through the 88 degree opening weekend with record heat and full moon in Mason County. It seems all acorns have been eaten. As soon as the feeders went off the brush came alive and the deer were pushing each other out of the way to get to the corn. They stayed until each kernal was gone. Had to up my thrower timer. Plenty of deer but way to dad-gum hot but would rather be hunting in the heat than sitting at the house in the AC any day. Didn't kill anything but grocery shopped for Thanksgiving culls and late season doe.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum