Texas Hunting Forum

Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 11:31 AM

With the new house comes new opportunities. The area has numerous horse pens and people raising chickens and it's right in the middle of a farming community. Eurasians have dang near taken the area over making it very target rich. I'm not far enough away from the neighbors to even think about a shotgun so the pellet rifle will be the weapon of choice. It's 22 yards from the back patio to where I plan on putting out the feeders. That's a little too far for open sights and these old eyes so I'm in the market for a scope. Need a recommendation for air rifle scopes, I'm shooting a 22 cal Diana RWS model 48 with the T06 trigger.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 11:52 AM

No advice here, but good luck and eating up
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 12:12 PM

Saw my first collared dove last year and had to look it up on the web to find out what it was.
I've got a cheap Nitro piston pellet gun that came with a scope. I did change out the trigger to an aftermarket one that is awesome.
25 yards is a slam dunk....I consistently hit a coke can at 80 yards.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 12:16 PM

AR312X44 Air Rifle Scope
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 12:53 PM

I have a Hawke night site that's air rifle rated I no longer have a need for. It uses digital crosshairs so it doesn't have a problem with the shock.
Hawke Nite Eye 3-12 x 50 ir
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 01:06 PM

good target practice, not bad eating
Posted By: Randallc

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 03:20 PM

Look up some of Keith Warren's videos on youtube. He uses and air rifle quite a bit. One show it was pigeons, and another was pigs.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 03:32 PM

The Hawke scopes seem to be most popular for use on springer guns. If you want something cheap, the 4x Beeman scopes can be picked up on eBay for about $30 and have a reputation of being nearly bullet-proof. Not exactly Zeiss Victory optics, but very usable at the ranges you describe.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 03:38 PM

My daughter trapped pigeons at an industrial plant for a college job. She would catch a dove sometimes and let them go. I bet catching collard doves would be nifty, especially if you could catch a handful at once.
Posted By: Matpk

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 05:06 PM

aim
Does anyone know where all the collared dove gone from the RICHMOND AREA.
I used To have 40--50 daily on my feeder.Now there are none.why'''
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Matpk
aim
Does anyone know where all the collared dove gone from the RICHMOND AREA.
I used To have 40--50 daily on my feeder.Now there are none.why'''

They went to HWY_MAN's place.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 05:42 PM

I know nothing about it, but would think one of those cheap BSA scopes hanging in the bubble plastic at Wal Mart would be fine for that.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 06:17 PM

If you buy BSA, make sure that you buy the air rifle models, and not the .22 RF models. An RWS 48 will eat cheap .22 scopes. I've owned three of the BSA airgun scopes, 2 4x and one 3-9x. One of the 4x scopes has blown up but the other two are still in service. All in all, they're a pretty decent value.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 08:01 PM

Get an RWS scope. They are pretty good little scopes designed for the guns.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/27/17 08:30 PM

I've had a BSA .22 scope on my Winchester break barrel pellet gun for 10 years or more. Sighted it in when I first got it and haven't adjusted it since. Squirrels are toast at 40 yards plus.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/28/17 07:44 PM

I use a Benjamin .22 pump W/ a Tasco scope. With a good rest, it will shoot 1/4" groups at 10 yards all day.
Posted By: rjd

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/29/17 04:14 AM

pm sent
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Eurasian Collard Dove. Air Rifles - 10/29/17 05:05 PM

Those birds are great eating! They are big enough to roast whole too. Pluck them leaving the skin on, gut, and cut off the head and feet. Rub them in a nice olive oil and sprinkle with cajun seasoning. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Preheat your oven as hot as it will go and let it preheat for awhile. You want it hot.
Roast the birds until the skin is crispy but no longer. The breast meat should be rare to medium rare. It will taste a lot like a nice steak. It is awesome! If you cook it well done, it will taste a little like liver.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum