Texas Hunting Forum

Market Hunters

Posted By: ndhunter

Market Hunters - 10/24/17 03:50 PM

Maybe we should start trapping hogs live and selling to Broadleaf, they seem to have a market and a plan

Quote:
He has been pushing feral pig, which on menus is Wild Boar, since Broadleaf bought the USDA certified feral pig slaughterhouse Southern Wild Game in Devine, Texas.

"And the market response has been phenomenal," says Mitchell.

The past three years, Broadleaf has seen domestic sales grow 20 percent each year. It is now 25 percent of their output.

http://tpr.org/post/porkers-profit-how-some-are-dealing-texas-problem-pigs

Here is link to their website

http://www.broadleafgame.com/
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Market Hunters - 10/24/17 04:11 PM

The buyer in our areas has has a truck come by weekly to pick up all the hogs the trappers bring in. He pays out by the pound and bonuses to for over certain weights. The guy that used to trap on my place hasn't gotten too old to run his trap lines so we just shoot them now.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Market Hunters - 10/24/17 06:05 PM

SWG has been in business for a long time. Good friend use to be a buyer for them. He use to set up buying stations. That was over 15 years ago
Posted By: PMK

Re: Market Hunters - 10/24/17 06:32 PM

don't you need some kind of special license to transport live feral hogs?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Market Hunters - 10/24/17 06:36 PM

Here is a little info on that topic PMK.

https://today.agrilife.org/2011/03/17/trapping-transporting-feral-hogs/

Re: Market Hunters - 10/25/17 02:12 AM

Yea I know folks that trap them and sell them an my folks allowed other folks to trap on their property. Thought it was an interesting article.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Market Hunters - 10/25/17 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: ndhunter
Yea I know folks that trap them and sell them an my folks allowed other folks to trap on their property. Thought it was an interesting article.

I know SWG struggle for a while but that could of been just management. I know majority of thier market was over sees.

It’s cools to see it doing well.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Market Hunters - 10/25/17 02:33 AM

juggle

Re: Market Hunters - 10/25/17 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I know SWG struggle for a while but that could of been just management. I know majority of thier market was over sees.

Wouldn't it be nice if the forces of the almighty dollar could bring an end to the hog problem?
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Market Hunters - 10/25/17 03:04 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if the forces of the almighty dollar could bring an end to the hog problem?

I think most folks really don't want there to be an end to it. For the same reason you stated, $$$

Re: Market Hunters - 10/25/17 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

I don't think anyone really wants there to be an end to it. For the same reason as the selling of hogs, $$$

The landowners that I know want them gone for exactly that reason $$$. But I get your point.
Posted By: LSCG

Re: Market Hunters - 10/25/17 04:00 AM

SWG has been in business for a long time. Good friend use to be a buyer for them. He use to set up buying stations. That was over 15 years ago

yep, my dad and a friend of his used to run a buying station for them in Johnson city around 16 or 17 years ago. was a lot of fun!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Market Hunters - 10/25/17 07:25 AM

We will and never get over our hog problem. There is absolutely no way to do it. It would take an all out assult by every landowner year round which is impossible. And the second you stop, they are back.

Re: Market Hunters - 10/27/17 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
We will and never get over our hog problem. There is absolutely no way to do it. It would take an all out assult by every landowner year round which is impossible. And the second you stop, they are back.

Yeah I know, that's what the "Wouldn't it be nice" part was about

Hogs will be hogs
Posted By: Stub

Re: Market Hunters - 10/27/17 11:36 AM

Use to let an old man out of Jermyn trap hogs where I am at, coincidentally things started missing from the old homestead during that period so I stopped using him.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Market Hunters - 10/27/17 02:40 PM

Read that you have to kill 65% of the population every year just to stay at same population.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum