Texas Hunting Forum

Best County in Texas

Posted By: dradkins

Best County in Texas - 10/17/17 08:05 PM

This may have been ask before (i am sure it has) but I could not find it in the search.

What is your opinion on the best county to hunt in Texas year after year?
1) Top 5 counties for MOST deer?
2) Top 5 counties for Biggest deer?

I am going to say:
Quanity: kimble, kerr, gillespie, comal, real
Quality: Webb, Duval, LaSalle, Dimmit, Zavala
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 12:55 AM

Most counties have good and bad areas.

Too broad a discussion I can be on one ranch in any of those counties and see big deer or a lot of deer and drive 10 min down the road and it be terrible

Way too many factors to go by counties anymore

But you left out Llano, menard, bandera and hays for most deer
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 01:00 AM

That's right don't leave out Bandera County!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 02:31 AM

And maverick has more Boone & Crockett entries than any other county but it was left out

Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 03:16 AM

Well you can list all the major South Texas counties you want. But for most access unattainable or the price is financially out of most hunters price range. But for me give me Gonzales/Dewitt Co and am good.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 11:45 AM

You also left out the high fence, low fence option! woot

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 12:00 PM

Yea I was thinking low fence. I did not know maverick lead the state with B&C.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 12:45 PM

I am a fan of Lampasas county, myself. Plus we see plenty of big deer on our farm in Tyler county, maybe not South Texas or Hill country numbers....but enough.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 01:14 PM

some bruisers come out of Armstrong, Donley, Briscoe also ...
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 03:00 PM

The one you have the privilege and opportunity to be hunting on!
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 03:30 PM

I have an East Tx bias......So Houston, Trinity, San Jacinto and Walker all hold dear to my heart
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 03:38 PM

Traditionally the Edwards Plateau area counties will have the most deer in numbers, and the counties in what is known as the golden triangle of south Texas will have the larger deer.
There are exceptions to that rule due to management practices, but under the natural environment that usually holds true to this day.
Posted By: BurrOak

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: dradkins
Yea I was thinking low fence. I did not know maverick lead the state with B&C.

I think Maverick leads the entire US. I heard that somewhere before.
Posted By: Tony270

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 05:44 PM

Kinney County up
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 06:41 PM

I went back and found some old notes on the subject of B&C deer. Can't recall how old the data is, so may have changed a bit.

Webb County has more B&C entries than any other Texas County.

Best counties for typical B&Cs, in order, were Dimmit, LaSalle, Webb, Frio and Jim Hogg.

Best counties for non-typicals, in order, were Dimmit, Kleberg, Webb, Kenedy and LaSalle.

The Golden Triangle to include Dimmit, Maverick, Kinney, LaSalle, Webb, McMullen and Zapata counties have the second highest number of B&C entries of any region (Western Rio Grande Plains) in the US.

As for total number of deer, Edwards Plateau.

Texas is 5th in the nation for B&C entries. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois and Iowa being ahead of Texas.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/18/17 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Drogers6771
I have an East Tx bias......So Houston, Trinity, San Jacinto and Walker all hold dear to my heart
I lived in Huntsville for almost 30 years. Killed a lot of deer in the piney woods!
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 03:32 PM

Kleberg County, no contest.

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 03:37 PM

Are you sure about that?

Originally Posted By: fouzman
I went back and found some old notes on the subject of B&C deer. Can't recall how old the data is, so may have changed a bit.

Best counties for typical B&Cs, in order, were Dimmit, LaSalle, Webb, Frio and Jim Hogg.

Best counties for non-typicals, in order, were Dimmit, Kleberg, Webb, Kenedy and LaSalle.

The Golden Triangle to include Dimmit, Maverick, Kinney, LaSalle, Webb, McMullen and Zapata counties have the second highest number of B&C entries of any region (Western Rio Grande Plains) in the US.

Texas is 5th in the nation for B&C entries. Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois and Iowa being ahead of Texas.

Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 03:53 PM

At my age, I am not into B&C scoring as much as I once was, now more into having fun hunting. In my opinion, the friends and family you are hunting with, camp (I kinda like to rough it) and big, open terrain make for a fun hunt. I admit that I will hunt a mature deer as that is all that I will shoot but don't go into depression if I don't find one.
I don't like to sit in a blind looking at a feeder. I prefer to walk or drive and glass, I guess that is why I now like to hunt more out west than my native South Texas or Hill Country. They say that old age will make one senile....
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 04:02 PM

Mason, Gillespie, Llano, San Saba, Mills
Posted By: tlk

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 04:07 PM

Are you sure about that?

I do not think the above is accurate - I have the Boone and Crockett website where you can search all typical and non typical in Texas by counties. I have done it over the past ten years and the past thirty years. Maverick has the most entries in both categories for both sets of years. And Maverick is nowhere near the size of Webb.

Maybe we are looking at different catargories??

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 04:15 PM

I can't recall how old my data is, tlk. But it came from B&C. I remembered you saying Maverick led all counties last year, that's why I qualified with the "may have changed". I do know the data is more recent than 1987, though. I'll have to go back and research more when I have time.

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 04:17 PM

Are you sure about that?

I just looked up on their site:

Past ten years: Typical - Maverick 27, Webb 26, LaSalle 20, Dimmitt 15, Kleberg 9

Non typical - Maverick 10, LaSalle 8, Cooke 6, Kleberg 6, Dimmitt 5

Past thirty years: Typical - Maverick 56, Webb 47, Dimmitt 36, LaSalle 36, and Klebert 19

Non typical - Maverick 19, LaSalle 12, Dimmitt 11, Kleberg 9 and Webb 8

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 04:24 PM

Just sent you a PM.

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 04:59 PM

Just sent you a PM.

That explains the differences - thanks!

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Traditionally the Edwards Plateau area counties will have the most deer in numbers, and the counties in what is known as the golden triangle of south Texas will have the larger deer.
There are exceptions to that rule due to management practices, but under the natural environment that usually holds true to this day.

What is included in the "golden triangle of south texas"

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 05:09 PM

wow thats awesome and some great information

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 05:16 PM

Well, I learned it's outdated. tlk's post has the most recent data on B&C entries by county.

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 05:19 PM

Well, I learned it's outdated. tlk's post has the most recent data on B&C entries by county.

The other factor is that Maverick is a very small county - Webb and a few others are very large - so number of B&C book bucks per acre skews the numbers even more

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/19/17 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
At my age, I am not into B&C scoring as much as I once was, now more into having fun hunting. In my opinion, the friends and family you are hunting with, camp (I kinda like to rough it) and big, open terrain make for a fun hunt. I admit that I will hunt a mature deer as that is all that I will shoot but don't go into depression if I don't find one.
I don't like to sit in a blind looking at a feeder. I prefer to walk or drive and glass, I guess that is why I now like to hunt more out west than my native South Texas or Hill Country. They say that old age will make one senile....
Adios,
Gary

Not a thing wrong with that either! Beauty of hunting and living where we are free is that we get to make those choices - I keep waiting for the big deer itch to go away as I get older but so far it has not - been at it 55 years!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/20/17 07:50 AM

So many ranches have been fenced down there now and killing giant deer that can never enter but are native deer. I have pics I won't post as I am sure you do too. 10,000 acres fenced seems to be the norm with only a couple hunters total shooting trophy bucks. There is still no better place to hunt in Texas if you can get access than the Golden Triangle IMO.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/20/17 01:23 PM

tlk,
I have been after them a little longer than you but I think what somewhat diminished the burning desire to kill a big deer every year was about 15 years of outfitting. I have been very blessed to have hunted some beautiful country and to have hunted with some great people. Stay after them as long as you can and I pray that the desire to "kill the big one" keeps you young.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: bp3

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/20/17 03:04 PM

Don't forget the counties south west of Childress like Cottle,King,Motley and Dickens. Some big deer in those counties. Google Wyman Meinsers West Texas on vimeo and look at the bucks on that tape. I worked that area for a few years and on ranches like the four sixes and other huge ranches saw some giants.
Posted By: hunting_guy

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/20/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: bp3
Don't forget the counties south west of Childress like Cottle,King,Motley and Dickens. Some big deer in those counties. Google Wyman Meinsers West Texas on vimeo and look at the bucks on that tape. I worked that area for a few years and on ranches like the four sixes and other huge ranches saw some giants.

X2
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/20/17 03:45 PM

Studs in those counties but density wise they don’t compare to Webb and Maverick
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/20/17 08:55 PM

No doubt. Great montage of west Texas. That last buck in the caprock breaks is the largest free range buck I think I've ever seen. Wyman Meinzer is the best.

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/20/17 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
tlk,
I have been after them a little longer than you but I think what somewhat diminished the burning desire to kill a big deer every year was about 15 years of outfitting. I have been very blessed to have hunted some beautiful country and to have hunted with some great people. Stay after them as long as you can and I pray that the desire to "kill the big one" keeps you young.
Adios,
Gary

I can only imagine that guiding and outfitting would wear someone down. I have been on many guided hunts all over the world and I always ask my guide how their hunters are overall. They always say that 90 percent are great and the other 10 percent are a pain.

It is the 10 percent that wear you down/

I am lease boss on a large LF ranch and people do not believe me but I get just as much satisfaction when one of our hunters takes a trophy as if I shot it myself. I rarely pull the trigger on a trophy

I hope to keep the passion until I literally cannot walk

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/21/17 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
I am lease boss on a large LF ranch and people do not believe me but I get just as much satisfaction when one of our hunters takes a trophy as if I shot it myself. I rarely pull the trigger on a trophy

I hope to keep the passion until I literally cannot walk

I believe you because I feel the same way, tlk. I've only been at 'em 49 years but don't think my love for the country and sharing it with others will ever diminish.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/22/17 03:24 PM

All great choices above. But I would say for all around, year round, y'all can't leave out Edwards ad Kerr.
Posted By: JOESTOUT

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/22/17 11:20 PM

The OP forgot Kendall County dense with whitetail, and plenty of exotics to boot.
jstout
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/23/17 01:39 AM

popcorn
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/23/17 05:06 AM

Webb or Maverick hands down.
Posted By: kweber

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/23/17 05:14 AM

I-10 NW of SA... ranch-hand bumper..
FM roads are best...
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/23/17 06:44 PM

All of that B&C info is great, but I'll take the NE TX Panhandle counties any day, every day.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/23/17 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt

We have a lot of deer here in Llano County, A LOT. Not big bodied and for the most part not a lot of mass but there are a whole lot of deer in this county.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/24/17 03:19 AM

I think the words “the best” has to be defined. That means different things to different people. As I have gotten older, I’m just as content to see fewer but larger deer, spend time in big open country and share a camp with good friends, family, and hunting companions.
Posted By: Monster_Raxx

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/26/17 04:23 AM

Collin and Grayson
Posted By: mow

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/26/17 07:09 PM

Coke
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/27/17 02:22 AM

Maverick

Eagle Pass Texas is full of huge deer.

There are some huge LF Eagle Pass bucks posted on here often
Posted By: kry226

Re: Best County in Texas - 10/27/17 09:57 AM

Am I the only one glad that my county hasn't been mentioned? grin
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Best County in Texas - 11/01/17 08:52 PM

Anyone else know of some great counties?
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Best County in Texas - 11/01/17 08:56 PM

For Hunting? Camping? Fishing? Entertainment? I'm a big fan of going west to deer hunt... Archer, Baylor, Foard, and West from there
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best County in Texas - 11/01/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Sirrah243
Originally Posted By: Wilhunt

We have a lot of deer here in Llano County, A LOT. Not big bodied and for the most part not a lot of mass but there are a whole lot of deer in this county.

Depends on the ranch and how it’s managed.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Best County in Texas - 11/01/17 11:21 PM

To me it's more of the question "who has the best ranch to hunt" in Texas?

You can have great hunting in just about any county in Texas if you have the land, water, and cover/browse. Add in knowing how to manage the wildlife and letting them grow to their potential. There are great places to hunt in just about every county. The best ones most of us never get a chance to know of or see for ourselves.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Best County in Texas - 11/02/17 01:43 AM

[quote=dradkins]This may have been ask before (i am sure it has) but I could not find it in the search.

What is your opinion on the best county to hunt in Texas year after year?
1) Top 5 counties for MOST deer?
2) Top 5 counties for Biggest deer?

One would think the most deer would be in the hill country although most are smaller bodied which makes there antlers/racks look bigger.
Top 5 for biggest? If you are talking about body weight and antler size combination, I would guess the golden triangle. If yo are talking about just body size and weight, then guessing the panhandle?

What county has the best overall year long hunting? Were talking deer white tail & mulies, exotics, dove quail, duck etc.... confused2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum