Texas Hunting Forum

New Hunter

Posted By: Tallman1914

New Hunter - 10/17/17 02:01 AM

I am hoping to take up deer and hog hunting this year , and was hoping for some advice on the basics of picking a WMU how to, not step on existing hunters toes that may already hunt in those areas and what the different deer tags are and what the biggest restrictions are …. like first light or last light and hollow point or soft point ammo. I was a small game hunter growing up in Louisiana but I have been in Texas 10 years and I'm ready to get back out in the woods.

Are there any good public spots near dallas or east texas
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: New Hunter - 10/17/17 02:14 AM

If you purchase the APH from TPWD, $48, you'll get a book with all the WMAs. You'll need look at what game is available to hunt on each unit. Its not like Louisiana. Each unit is managed for the game it supports. Plus a lot of the WMAs with deer herds are in the lottery system.

You might want to take TPWD's online hunter ed for some of your other questions.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: New Hunter - 10/17/17 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Tallman1914
I am hoping to take up deer and hog hunting this year , and was hoping for some advice on the basics of picking a WMU how to, not step on existing hunters toes that may already hunt in those areas and what the different deer tags are and what the biggest restrictions are …. like first light or last light and hollow point or soft point ammo. I was a small game hunter growing up in Louisiana but I have been in Texas 10 years and I'm ready to get back out in the woods.

Are there any good public spots near dallas or east texas

Deer & hog gonna be Archery only in most wmu near dfw & no baiting in most. You got a LOT of reading to do....
Posted By: Stub

Re: New Hunter - 10/17/17 11:19 AM

Good luck and welcome
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: New Hunter - 10/17/17 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Good luck and welcome
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: New Hunter - 10/17/17 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: Stub
Good luck and welcome
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New Hunter - 10/17/17 01:52 PM

welcome

Check out the pubic land hunting section of this site.

Check out the outfitter section as well. You can book hog, doe and management buck hunts fairly cheap, especially does and hogs. The guides would be great people to learn from.......but ask for references before you book with them to make sure they are reputable.

Re: New Hunter - 10/17/17 02:10 PM

Thank you

Re: New Hunter - 10/17/17 02:10 PM

Thank you]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum