Texas Hunting Forum

Open Sights for old guys

Posted By: ELKMTB

Open Sights for old guys - 10/16/17 02:39 PM

Any of you guys have trouble focusing on open sights with corrected vision? Do you wear something like readers? Was shooting a very short 1800's replica rifle at the range yesterday and had trouble focusing on the sights.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Open Sights for old guys - 10/16/17 03:00 PM

I use a peep sight on my rifles that don't have a scope. It helps a lot. If you are just punching targets, an aperture that attaches to your glasses works even better. It puts everything in the same plane of focus.

If you want to try it for free before buying anything, make an aperture with a thin piece of cardboard like a cereal box. Poke a hole with a needle and put it over your shooting eye lens of your shooting glasses. It shocking how well that works.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Open Sights for old guys - 10/16/17 03:06 PM

I got so used to the open sights as long as its between me and the end of my shooting lane I can hit it. Practicing on hogs with the old 30/30 helps.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Open Sights for old guys - 10/16/17 03:27 PM

Peep site does help and a longer barrel also helps me. Short barreled rifles are impossible for me, the front site is just a fuzzy glob. I scope all my rifles and some of my pistols now.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Open Sights for old guys - 10/16/17 03:44 PM

Peep sight is good for us older guys.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Open Sights for old guys - 10/16/17 03:55 PM

Easy to fix.

I explained to my eye doc that I needed one section of my glasses set to focus on the front sight of a pistol with my arm fully extended.

He took the measurements, wrote a script and that is the middle section of my tri-focals.

Works great.

Also they can make the glasses out of impact resistant material which serves as shooting glasses.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Open Sights for old guys - 10/16/17 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
I got so used to the open sights as long as its between me and the end of my shooting lane I can hit it. Practicing on hogs with the old 30/30 helps.

Agreed. If you practice enough, you'll become more instinctual with your aim with open sights. I won't go so far to say you'll be able to "use the Force" when making shots, but the fuzziness of the sights will become less obvious and bothersome to you.

I was surprised at this myself when I made a follow-up shot on a hog a couple weeks ago. I had knocked it down with a first shot, only to see it get back up and begin to trot off. A second round with my open-sighted 30-30 took him down for good.

I've come to enjoy carrying my 30-30 during trips to check on things around the lease for the sole reason of dispatching walk-up hogs and coyotes.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Open Sights for old guys - 10/16/17 04:17 PM

Instinct shooting is a good skill to develop for sure, but there is no substitute for having the front sight clearly in focus.

Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Open Sights for old guys - 10/17/17 01:39 PM

I have the same problem.. I've had to pretty much switch to optics on some guns so i can actually use them. The key i've found is that the closer the rear sight is to me.. the harder it is to focus. On my rifles with open sights, TC Hawken and 30-30, I'ave swiched to fiber optic to help with the focus.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum