Texas Hunting Forum

Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days

Posted By: doggit

Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/01/17 06:23 PM

Went to buy a Taurus pistol they had on sale already have 3 so need another like I need a hole in my head but for the price figured WTF. Anyways just bought a gun from them last month no problems. This time was filling form out on their tablet and was talking to guy while was filling it out. He was checking my CHL license. Handed it back to him when done and he says cant sell me pistol because I answered question wrong. WTF??? Asked what it was said he couldn't tell me that would be coaching me and a felony. Now I'm getting pissed. Call a manager, told them they need to show me wrong question. He said couldn't. I told them without showing me proof how do I know the employee just isn't profiling me and rejecting my form. Finally they showed me I answered the " are you and illegal" wrong I didn't put N/A for next question. And once I signed it TOO Bad!!! JEEZ now I know it was my fault, I'm about as white of a boy as they come 45 yrs old, just bought a gun from them last month, they know me at the store, I have a CHL. But their store policy is if you screw up on yellow form once its signed , you are banned for 30 days from buying any firearm at ANY academy. I used to like them and think they were about promoting hunting and shooting but this stupid [censored] store policy has me rethinking that??? Now I know it was my fault, but use some common sense. I asked them how could the illegal question even be asked because cops can't even ask that question? They had no answer. I asked what ATF rules are for a mistake?? They had no answer. Told them would like to know because surely Federal law trumps any store policy. Said they would get back with me. Yeah right! Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!! [censored]!!!
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/01/17 06:53 PM

I've heard the same thing before...you mess up and sign it then there's nothing they can do. I wonder how any other Academy would know that you filled it out wrong? Not sure about the 30 days thing though. FWIW, I bet you can get the gun cheaper online.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/01/17 07:50 PM

There is not an ATF rule. That is Academy's dumb PC policy.

A 4473 can be marked void and redone if mistake is obvious and can be proven as so.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/01/17 08:28 PM

Yeah from the research I've done since ATF leaves it up to the seller. So your right "academy's dumb PC policy"! I'm calling corporate this week doubt I'll get anywhere, but I'm going to try and get the email of who's in charge of this and will post it publicly, maybe we can get them to use some common sense, instead of acting like a dumb liberal corporation!!!!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/01/17 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest

^^ This. And if Academy phones in the NICS background check, and the NICS response is "Delayed" (which happens to me often), Academy will NOT sell you the firearm. By ATF rules, the FFL can transfer you the firearm within 72 hours or 3 full days after if they don't hear back from NICS. But Academy's policy will not transfer it to you no matter what. They have some very strict policies.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/01/17 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
They have some very strict policies.

Perhaps they've been raked over the coals by the ATF for submitting incorrect forms far too often.
Posted By: Deer Hound

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/01/17 11:10 PM

Surprised you have to fill out the yellow sheet in a lot of states you just put your CC number and that's it not form. I've not filled one out in 25 years Guess TX or Academy does it differently
Posted By: neil mitchell

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 01:24 AM

I won't buy a gun from Academy because they won't take trigger lock off a pistol so I can feel how the gun feels in my hand.

Neil
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 01:28 AM

^^ This. And if Academy phones in the NICS background check, and the NICS response is "Delayed" (which happens to me often), Academy will NOT sell you the firearm. By ATF rules, the FFL can transfer you the firearm within 72 hours or 3 full days after if they don't hear back from NICS. But Academy's policy will not transfer it to you no matter what. They have some very strict policies.

That must have changed with the new ownership. I used to work the gun counter at academy years ago and that wasn't the case.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 01:34 AM

You should have been able to have read the form and immediately picked out the question you answered wrong without having to ask them to show you which one it was.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 01:51 AM

Take your business elsewhere, and let Academy know that you won't be buying from them any more and the exact reason why. You can do a lot better on price, almost anywhere, even on line. Let your wallet/checkbook do the talking.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: doggit
Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!!

Yep, this would pretty much have taken care of everything.

Simple matter to CHECK your 4473 BEFORE you sign it and turn it in.

Would have saved you and the store employees the 'trouble' you think you have suffered and us your rant about it all.

Academy (or other private entity) may adopt and apply any 'policies' they like (within the confines of the law). The ones you have mentioned don't sound particularly onerous to me.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 11:32 AM

Academy lost me on guns when the hid the scary AR's after the sandy hook thing.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

That must have changed with the new ownership. I used to work the gun counter at academy years ago and that wasn't the case.
its been that way since 2005 at least, after the change in owner ship, (most) who work the gun counter, don't have a clue

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 01:24 PM

Flintknapper, are you serious with your post or are you just trying to get a rise. It's people thinking like you and NOT USING ANY COMMON SENSE that have the government and this country so F"D up! I'm white obviously because I had to answer that question. I have a CHL, so obviously NOT illegal. Don't even know why I have to answer those questions the TRUE illegals don't!!! So yeah, I guess your right that their store policy banning me for 30 days from buying a gun is a fair policy my apologies for even bringing it to everyone's attention. And I can assure you the 20 yr old behind the counter didn't suffer any trouble, he had a hard on because he got to deny me. Made his day. Sure he was the hero of the store that day for keeping the world safe from another law abiding citizenfrom owing another firearm, like the one I had just bought from them less than a month ago. When I go back to purchase the gun I'm going to request a paper form that's what I'm used to filling out and easier to check than the tablet, sure that's going to cause more issues. And would you please explain what the confines of the law are on store policies?? Guess before we know it, the next store policy will be after the yellow form, to take a knee before approving a firearm purchase, would that "store policy" be onerous to you????????
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 01:37 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 02:03 PM

If it was that good of a deal, have your wife go in and buy one.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 02:09 PM

LOL told manager that and he said that would be a felony. A straw purchase that they would have to report to the ATF. And since they had my name already they would be on the lookout for it. Unbelievable the dkwads they have working at academy these days. I'm not even pissed about not being able to buy the gun, it's being treated like a criminal!

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 02:19 PM

One thing that stands out is your steadfast ignoring of your role in this situation.

You filled the form out incorrectly.
You signed an incorrect form on which you misrepresented the facts.
You had to ask how/where you messed up even after being told you messed up. Which would mean to any objective person you don't understand the questions on the form and how they apply to you.
It's not their job to answer the questions for you. That's your job.

Their policies may be stupid to you. And you have a right to that opinion.

But look at it this way: they could have just turned it in, gotten a "no-go", and moved on. Instead of basically breaking the law and telling you about your error and where the error was made after you couldn't find it.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 02:36 PM

"One thing that stands out is your steadfast ignoring of your role in this situation"

JEEZ now I know it was my fault,

Now I know it was my fault, but use some common sense. I asked them how could the illegal question even be asked because cops can't even ask that question? They had no answer. I asked what ATF rules are for a mistake?? They had no answer. Told them would like to know because surely Federal law trumps any store policy. Said they would get back with me. Yeah right! Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!! [censored]!!!

YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT I'M IGNORING MY ROLE, NOW LET'S ALL TAKE A KNEE!!! I said it was my fault twice. All I asked for is to use a little common sense like most sellers. Tear up the mistake form and start over and don't make the mistake this time, which apparently is perfectly legal since ATF doesn't specify what the rules are for an incorrect form, apparently they leave that up to the seller, and my mistake was not putting N/A after the illegal question, so yeah make perfect sense to any competent person that I should be banned from buying a gun from them for 30 days. Jeez I knew posting here would make me feel better. Thank you both for clarifying the situation and explaining it to me in a way that makes perfect sense. In fact it both your points make about as much sense as keeping supressors under control of the fed govt and a PITA to get.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 03:57 PM

As a big retailer you specifically do not want the average counter worker using common sense with something where big fines or related major Federal ATF issues could be involved. You have a policy that places a wide buffer to avoid the human factor. You train people to follow your company's policies. That's what you get with retail stores.

The OP might also check this link: laugh

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/apply-citizenship

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 04:48 PM

I have had family members and a friend try to purchase a firearm that was on sale, and the background check come back "delayed". After that, Academy said they could not transfer the firearm to them, unless the NICS called them specifically to report that this check was now a "proceed". In multiple cases, the Academy employee said that since it was delayed, and not a clear "proceed" (proceed means the NICS check went through and individual was cleared to have this firearm at that exact time) they would not be able to transfer the firearm to them. They said that the chances of NICS calling them back was very slim. This has happened several times within the last few years. I'm an FFL, and went ahead and ordered the firearm for them. The check came back delayed again for me. One family member received a call back for proceed, and my friend never received a call. At which time, I legally transferred it to him about a week later. Turns out, the friend had the same name as a felon, and ended up getting a UPIN for this reason. I have since transferred several firearms for him now, with an immediate "proceed" when using his new UPIN on the forms.

To the OP. Yes, if you check the wrong box, the FFL can not do anything further for you. If it's on paper, maybe you tear up the bad form, and fill out a new one. But on an electronic form, and when it's filled out wrong, that's it. It's done. No fix can be had.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 05:18 PM

I picked up my new suppressor on Friday. I was considering having it shipped but the forms were a PITA. One thing the FFL did say, in big bold print, was 'IF YOU SCREW THIS UP IT'S ON YOU AND WE CANNOT ASSIST-DO NOT FILL OUT THE FORM INCORRECTLY'.

If you want to be pissed, try waiting in line at your smith for four-five months, having the ~repaired gun shipped to you, and then it still doesn't work and it's a five hour drive to do anything about it.
Posted By: txshotgun

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 05:46 PM

Trump wants to build a wall to keep you illegals out... flag

roflmao Don't it suck went a rant goes sideways?

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 05:50 PM

"One thing that stands out is your steadfast ignoring of your role in this situation"

Now I know it was my fault, but use some common sense. I asked them how could the illegal question even be asked because cops can't even ask that question? They had no answer. I asked what ATF rules are for a mistake?? They had no answer. Told them would like to know because surely Federal law trumps any store policy. Said they would get back with me. Yeah right! Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!! [censored]!!!

YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT I'M IGNORING MY ROLE, NOW LET'S ALL TAKE A KNEE!!! I said it was my fault twice. All I asked for is to use a little common sense like most sellers. Tear up the mistake form and start over and don't make the mistake this time, which apparently is perfectly legal since ATF doesn't specify what the rules are for an incorrect form, apparently they leave that up to the seller, and my mistake was not putting N/A after the illegal question, so yeah make perfect sense to any competent person that I should be banned from buying a gun from them for 30 days. Jeez I knew posting here would make me feel better. Thank you both for clarifying the situation and explaining it to me in a way that makes perfect sense. In fact it both your points make about as much sense as keeping supressors under control of the fed govt and a PITA to get.

We have now established you are bitching about a situation that is your fault.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 06:03 PM

On 1 hand, they did you a favor by not selling you a Taurus. Personally, I'd rather have a sharp stick.

OTOH, the least educated counter monkeys you will ever encounter are in Academy, or other bg box chains. I've known 1 person who worked there a short time that I would trust. The rest are usually uncaring, ignorant & apathetic. They don't know anything about firearms, ammo, legal necessities for firearms, or customer service.

I would rather take off all my clothes & run backwards thru a cornfield than patronize the Academy gun counter.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 06:34 PM

Seems like you made a dumb mistake and are try to cast blame. They probably have the policy because they've gotten whacked for it in the past.

That's a very, very simple form to fill out. Next time check it? Or just be more careful?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Seems like you made a dumb mistake and are try to cast blame. They probably have the policy because they've gotten whacked for it in the past.

That's a very, very simple form to fill out. Next time check it? Or just be more careful?

Best answer.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
On 1 hand, they did you a favor by not selling you a Taurus.

roflmao
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/02/17 08:39 PM

I have had family members and a friend try to purchase a firearm that was on sale, and the background check come back "delayed". After that, Academy said they could not transfer the firearm to them, unless the NICS called them specifically to report that this check was now a "proceed". In multiple cases, the Academy employee said that since it was delayed, and not a clear "proceed" (proceed means the NICS check went through and individual was cleared to have this firearm at that exact time) they would not be able to transfer the firearm to them. They said that the chances of NICS calling them back was very slim. This has happened several times within the last few years. I'm an FFL, and went ahead and ordered the firearm for them. The check came back delayed again for me. One family member received a call back for proceed, and my friend never received a call. At which time, I legally transferred it to him about a week later. Turns out, the friend had the same name as a felon, and ended up getting a UPIN for this reason. I have since transferred several firearms for him now, with an immediate "proceed" when using his new UPIN on the forms.

To the OP. Yes, if you check the wrong box, the FFL can not do anything further for you. If it's on paper, maybe you tear up the bad form, and fill out a new one. But on an electronic form, and when it's filled out wrong, that's it. It's done. No fix can be had.

Still very odd. I'm one of those folks that has the same name as a convicted felon as well. I would get a delay 100% of the time. I finally got my CHL to help mitigate that little problem.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 12:32 AM

I don't understand why this is such a big deal with them really. The 4473 form isn't numbered or anything like that and if it was filled out incorrectly they could just tear it up and tell you to do another one as the first was not filled out in a satisfactory manner. Nothing illegal on either end of the transaction.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Old Stony
I don't understand why this is such a big deal with them really. The 4473 form isn't numbered or anything like that and if it was filled out incorrectly they could just tear it up and tell you to do another one as the first was not filled out in a satisfactory manner. Nothing illegal on either end of the transaction.

It was on an electronic Ipad type device, and was submitted electronically.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 04:44 AM

Just to be clear yes I made the mistake and screwed up. Who cares no big deal like I said didn't need gun just was getting it for the price. I'm not casting blame or trying to blame anyone but myself. Not even academy. But what I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IS THE 30 DAY BAN!!!~! What corporate dicwad came up with 30 days and why 30 days? I honestly thought maybe they would tell me come back tomorrow. But 30 days come on. What are they accomplishing with it? Why not 6 months, 1 year or hell how bout lifetime ban!! That would make the most sense. So for 30 days I can't buy a gun from academy, but I can anywhere else. That is if I don't screw up again!!!So what is 30 days a cooling off period? A study period? Or academy is just grounding me? Makes no sense. Is all I was trying to say. But thank you internet police, attorneys, experts and psychiatrist for helping me cope with this horrible mistake I have made. Until you certain few brought it to my attention I had no idea of the terrible irreversible mistake I had made! And how many lives I put in danger. Thank you again, And thank you academy for doing your part in keeping the US a safer place by your BS policy. (for 30 days at least)Hell even though my DL says I'm a citizen, my CHL and my birth certificate says I was born in Texas I'm beginning to 2nd guess myself and maybe I a an illegal. After all why would I put it down? Of course academy shouldn't trust a birth certificate. Especially from Hawaii. They have a way of convincing the world that an illegal is legal. Maybe that's what my hospital did. And while I have all these experts giving advice what box does a trangender check on the form? Male or female? Do they need to add a gender neutral box to the forms? Called ATF about this concern and they said they no longer have a direct bullchit line to the whitehouse under the current administration with a press 1 to screw the common law abiding citizen, so they were going to leave it up to the seller to use their common sense and good judgement like academy. And how does a deaf, blind person buy a gun if it's illegal to help or coach? Do they make a form in brail? they have a Spanish version, so why not every other language? maybe nog or napr can help me on some of these questions since they evidently are the experts and don't think 30day ban is onerous. And I took this advice https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/apply-citizenship and spent several hours filling out all the form and submitted them just to be sure of my status. My mom says don't worry at least I should be an anchor baby because she knows I was born in TX. Or the very least something about daca kid since I was forced to take Spanish in school and can now speak and write a little. I called the ARMY to see if they made a mistake and allowed an illegal to serve and all they could offer me was a sexual reassignment surgery for free paid for by your tax $ they said. I then called the college I graduated from to see if maybe they had made the same mistake of accepting an illegal and all they could offer me was a safe place with some play dough to play with. Tried to get ahold of someone in Dallas at Jerry's world where I once worked no answer they were busy practicing disrespecting our flag and vets in the form of free speech. Kid came home from school to day with a 30 day suspension because he asked another kid to play cowboys and Indians, they expelled him for 30 days for being a racist. Then I grounded him for 30 days just because that is my policy. I said don't worry I'm just preparing you for a corporate job at academy where you can sit around a pull stupid azz policies using NO COMMON SENSE out of your azz. My other son got suspended for, you guessed it 30 DAYS for having a PB&J sandwhich shaped like a pistol at school lunch. So I then grounded him for another 30 days so he too would be able to find employment at academys corporate headquarters. This kind of stuff happens in a country using NO COMMON SENSE!! And to think all this fell into place for checking the wrong box at academy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 06:24 AM

popcorn
Posted By: SR025

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 08:26 AM

Try decaf
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 12:29 PM

No offense OP, but you went to a big box store where a buncha idiots work, from the guys on the floor, to the managers, to the corporate attorneys; to buy a POS gun. If you knew anything about Academy (like them HIDING their AR-15s after the last major shooting), or how ignorant & apathetic their employees & policies are, you would never have tried to buy a gun there.

Next time, may I suggest you go to a smaller, privately owned gun store where they sell quality firearms, have employees that know WTF they are talking about, & owners/managers who know the law, & don't have the stupidest corporate policies I've ever heard of.

Consider this a learning experience & move on.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SR025
Try decaf

Posted By: brent99

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 01:39 PM

Their store, their rules. Take a deep breath and move on.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 02:12 PM

I have always liked Academy. But lately, I dread going in there. I will never buy another pair of shoes there again. Every time I find a pair I want to try on, you have to dig through all the random misplaced boxes on the shelf, to only find out they don't have your size. It's a butt whip.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Stony

Because it's not their job to tell you how to fill out the form properly so you can buy a gun. That's why.

They don't know if someone filled it out correctly the first time and then they are just mad because they got denied and now want to change their correct, truthful answers to incorrect, false ones just so they can pass the check.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: SR025
Try decaf
rofl

No offense OP, but you went to a big box store where a buncha idiots work, from the guys on the floor, to the managers, to the corporate attorneys; to buy a POS gun. If you knew anything about Academy (like them HIDING their AR-15s after the last major shooting), or how ignorant & apathetic their employees & policies are, you would never have tried to buy a gun there.

Next time, may I suggest you go to a smaller, privately owned gun store where they sell quality firearms, have employees that know WTF they are talking about, & owners/managers who know the law, & don't have the stupidest corporate policies I've ever heard of.

Consider this a learning experience & move on.

This isn't always the case....stopped at a small gun store outside of Tyler a couple of years ago. Had a good deal on a pistol so I decided to get it. He had me fill out the form....I have a CDL with my PO for an address. I fill out the form...he calls it in...denied! Have to have a physical address that matches the ID. Said fine, my wife can buy it on her DL....nope, gotta wait 3 days before anyone can purchase that pistol. I said no one can walk into this store and purchase that pistol for 3 days...NOPE! Then sell us the one next to it....nope! Our policy is if you are denied then you have to wait....
Big steaming pile of bs

I went back to DPS to change my address....Since I have hasmat Texas told me I have to keep the PO since I have one....something to do with homeland security.....rolleyes

So to "solve" the problem I just paid to have a state ID with my address....then last year they took it back....you now can only have one state ID, if you have a DL then that's it...oh, and I still can't change my address.....stupid!

I was told to just get my CCL and that will fix it....I don't care to have my name on another government list....just my personal preference....

Since then I've started to purchase firearms from individuals just to avoid all the government hassle.....

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I was told to just get my CCL and that will fix it....I don't care to have my name on another government list....just my personal preference....

Since then I've started to purchase firearms from individuals just to avoid all the government hassle.....

^^ The CHL is your answer. Sure, you would be under the column in some list that you have a CHL. So what? But if/when you purchase a new firearm in a store or from an FFL, there's no back ground check called in. Since it's not called in, there's no record or another firearm "linked" to you on record, just on paper. No one would know unless they went to that FFL and recorded down the paperwork. I've never quite understood that logic.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 02:47 PM

^^ The CHL is your answer. Sure, you would be under the column in some list that you have a CHL. So what? But if/when you purchase a new firearm in a store or from an FFL, there's no back ground check called in. Since it's not called in, there's no record or another firearm "linked" to you on record, just on paper. No one would know unless they went to that FFL and recorded down the paperwork. I've never quite understood that logic.

Didn't know that...thought you don't have to go thru the background check at the time of purchase but they still file the purchase with the feds.....
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 02:49 PM

My father ordered me a margarita on my 20th b-day at chili's (which is legal in Texas for the yankees out there) and the pandemonium the ensued when the manager came out and said I couldn't have one was better than any margarita I've had since. In the end, company policy trumped state legislation lol. My dad ended up giving me his and we got "escorted" out the front door by some rent-a-cops. But hey, we did get our appetizers for free!

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 02:58 PM

Now I know it was my fault, but use some common sense. I asked them how could the illegal question even be asked because cops can't even ask that question? They had no answer. I asked what ATF rules are for a mistake?? They had no answer. Told them would like to know because surely Federal law trumps any store policy. Said they would get back with me. Yeah right! Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!! [censored]!!!ignore the above sh hd post

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 02:58 PM

Didn't know that...thought you don't have to go thru the background check at the time of purchase but they still file the purchase with the feds.....

Correct. So when I transfer a firearm to a Texas CHL holder, they fill out the paperwork, and I check the box that says, basically, no back ground check is needed because the purchaser is exempt because of a CHL. I write down all the CHL numbers, and file it away. No NICS phone call happens. "They" would not even know you bought a firearm unless someone comes and physically goes through my paperwork.

If you get an out of state CHL (why, I have no idea!!! that's another story that's about as dump as a football bat), this does not qualify for exemption.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 03:02 PM

On 1 hand, they did you a favor by not selling you a Taurus. Personally, I'd rather have a sharp stick.

OTOH, the least educated counter monkeys you will ever encounter are in Academy, or other bg box chains. I've known 1 person who worked there a short time that I would trust. The rest are usually uncaring, ignorant & apathetic. They don't know anything about firearms, ammo, legal necessities for firearms, or customer service.

I would rather take off all my clothes & run backwards thru a cornfield than patronize the Academy gun counter.
with my pit bull chasing you
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 04:01 PM

Correct. So when I transfer a firearm to a Texas CHL holder, they fill out the paperwork, and I check the box that says, basically, no back ground check is needed because the purchaser is exempt because of a CHL. I write down all the CHL numbers, and file it away. No NICS phone call happens. "They" would not even know you bought a firearm unless someone comes and physically goes through my paperwork.

If you get an out of state CHL (why, I have no idea!!! that's another story that's about as dump as a football bat), this does not qualify for exemption.

Very interesting. So if a new gun purchased by a CHL holder was used in criminal activity there would be no way the Feds could trace that unless they went to manufacturer and got FFL holder to look through his individual records? And if a CHL holder bought a used gun from a FFL dealer there is even less chance of tracing the life history of that gun?? Do I understand?

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 04:36 PM

They have to back track the history of the gun, first, by the serial #. If a firearm and serial is recovered in a crime, someone will immediately call the mfg (or mfg rep company) for the tracking history. The mfg will, typically, supply the distributor then the distributor will provide the retailer or shop where it was originally sold.

On the used gun, the gun had to come from somewhere if it's through an FFL. The FFL would have in their books where it came from, either a private individual or another FFL, and then who it was sold to. I have received a few letters from the ATF looking for a certain serial numbered firearm just for this purpose. The tracking trail went cold, and they are reaching out to FFL's to check their files for this serial #.

Some larger FFL's have gone digital (hence the Academy issue), and the serial numbers are stored into a data base that can quickly be accessed, I'm sure by whomever has access.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 04:37 PM

Wow this post turned into something special. I get it. It's bs when you can prove right there at the counter you made a silly mistake. Even ATF should be able to see what went on. It's common sense. When stuff like that happens to me I've found it's easier to say...well god doesn't want me to buy a pistole today and move along.

Sorry Snake Wrangler, to bad that didn't work on our taxes. Oops I made a mistake. Can't pay my taxes this month cause of the 30 day tax payment policy. Life was is to short sometimes. My biggest question is do you even want another gun like you already had after your 30 day ban? Goodluck... make sure you study for the test next time:) get a proper nights sleep. A lot yourself plenty of time to get there. Wear clean underwear and comfortable clothes. Wash your hands well the night before. Bring a moist towel with you and a bottle of water........
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 05:55 PM

If it's just a corporate policy what's to stop you from buying the firearm from another store?
Doesn't sound like it's that big a deal to get angry over.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 07:56 PM

Went to buy a Taurus pistol they had on sale already have 3 so need another like I need a hole in my head but for the price figured WTF. Anyways just bought a gun from them last month no problems. This time was filling form out on their tablet and was talking to guy while was filling it out. He was checking my CHL license. Handed it back to him when done and he says cant sell me pistol because I answered question wrong. WTF??? Asked what it was said he couldn't tell me that would be coaching me and a felony. Now I'm getting pissed. Call a manager, told them they need to show me wrong question. He said couldn't. I told them without showing me proof how do I know the employee just isn't profiling me and rejecting my form. Finally they showed me I answered the " are you and illegal" wrong I didn't put N/A for next question. And once I signed it TOO Bad!!! JEEZ now I know it was my fault, I'm about as white of a boy as they come 45 yrs old, just bought a gun from them last month, they know me at the store, I have a CHL. But their store policy is if you screw up on yellow form once its signed , you are banned for 30 days from buying any firearm at ANY academy. I used to like them and think they were about promoting hunting and shooting but this stupid [censored] store policy has me rethinking that??? Now I know it was my fault, but use some common sense. I asked them how could the illegal question even be asked because cops can't even ask that question? They had no answer. I asked what ATF rules are for a mistake?? They had no answer. Told them would like to know because surely Federal law trumps any store policy. Said they would get back with me. Yeah right! Morale of the post is make sure you answered questions on form right before turning it in at ACADEMY!!!! [censored]!!!

I thought it was because you bought a Taurus...
Posted By: mow

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 08:47 PM

man, guys remind me to never have yall on a jury..tough crowd..this is why i quit facebook..too much drama..the guy was just venting..
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/03/17 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: mow
man, guys remind me to never have yall on a jury..tough crowd..this is why i quit facebook..too much drama..the guy was just venting..

There was not a "give hugs" option on the forum.
Posted By: Jon

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/04/17 12:31 AM

They have to back track the history of the gun, first, by the serial #. If a firearm and serial is recovered in a crime, someone will immediately call the mfg (or mfg rep company) for the tracking history. The mfg will, typically, supply the distributor then the distributor will provide the retailer or shop where it was originally sold.

On the used gun, the gun had to come from somewhere if it's through an FFL. The FFL would have in their books where it came from, either a private individual or another FFL, and then who it was sold to. I have received a few letters from the ATF looking for a certain serial numbered firearm just for this purpose. The tracking trail went cold, and they are reaching out to FFL's to check their files for this serial #.

Some larger FFL's have gone digital (hence the Academy issue), and the serial numbers are stored into a data base that can quickly be accessed, I'm sure by whomever has access.

Chad, that very thing happened to my brother. He had purchased a new pistol at a local store in a small town in west Texas and gave it to his (then) wife. Years later, he got contacted by some law authority inquiring about the pistol. Turns out the wild-child step daughter had absconded with mom's pistol and grandma's car and gone on a joy ride with one of her girlfriends.

When the pistol showed up in grandma's car, they called Taurus with the serial number who gave them the info that wound up with the name of the dealer it went to. They contacted the FFL, he went and dug through his boxes and found the yellow sheet. My brother still lived in the same town and TxDPS or whoever it was contacted him. He told them he had given it to the ex wife and that's when he found out about the joyride episode that ended up with a wrecked car!

I bet a lot of them just go to a cold trail.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/04/17 01:30 AM

^^Yes, that's how it's supposed to work, generally.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/04/17 01:34 AM

Quote:
Very interesting. So if a new gun purchased by a CHL holder was used in criminal activity there would be no way the Feds could trace that unless they went to manufacturer and got FFL holder to look through his individual records? And if a CHL holder bought a used gun from a FFL dealer there is even less chance of tracing the life history of that gun?? Do I understand?

All traces are the same, doesn't matter if you used a CHL or not, the NICS check would in no was assist in a trace either way Yes, used guns are more difficult to trace....
Posted By: Da' Hitman

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/04/17 02:39 AM

I love Academy. Hard to beat their prices. My only beef with Academy is they stopped carrying Terminator spinnerbaits
Posted By: killemall

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/04/17 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted By: mow

There was not a "give hugs" option on the forum.

roflmao

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/04/17 07:12 PM

Thanks for ALL your responses and expert advice. After sleeping on it a couple of days I now realize with the help of you and academy the seriousness of my potentially deadly mistake! What was I thinking, to even suggest using common sense or a 1 day ban. Obviously because of the seriousness of the mistake and academy's desire to protect the public from individuals like me, YES now I understand it was totally and solely my fault and was lucky a 30 day ban was ALL I got. SO in order for me to be able to sleep at night I have decided on a self imposed LIFETIME BAN from me being able to buy firearms at any academy in the United States. Now hold on, I know that sounds extreme, but just take a look at the blatant, horrible, intentional mistake I made, and you will be able to understand why I think a lifetime ban is neccisary on my part. Thanks goodness academy and the ATF is doing their part to keep our citizens safe from potentially ILLEGALS like me! I'm feeling safer already. Go stock up on your BUMP FIRES that's next. Never mind the 1000's of deaths from people using their cell phones while driving. Let's have more gun control. I'd be willing to bet just as many people die from cell phone related deaths as one's caused by guns, if not more. But you don't hear the libtards screaming about stopping cell phone use while driving! And I guess now ol HONEST Hillary spoke directly about silencers we can all forget about the HPA any time soon. SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/04/17 08:02 PM

Glad you got it figured out. I guess the world can go back to spinning, now.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/04/17 08:25 PM

Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/05/17 02:09 PM

popcorn
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/05/17 02:26 PM

Taking responsibility is step one to finding peace. Happy to see we are making progress.

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/05/17 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Glad you got it figured out. I guess the world can go back to spinning, now.
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
Taking responsibility is step one to finding peace. Happy to see we are making progress.
clap
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/05/17 05:57 PM

Most recent post was even dumber than the 1st one.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/05/17 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: mikei
Take your business elsewhere, and let Academy know that you won't be buying from them any more and the exact reason why. You can do a lot better on price, almost anywhere, even on line. Let your wallet/checkbook do the talking.

this ^^^^
Posted By: 10pointdoe

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/06/17 02:51 AM

Should have called eric holder and obama. They give guns to illrgals
Posted By: BDB

Re: Went to academy made yellow form mistake now banned 30 days - 10/09/17 12:49 AM

The bright side is you still have 3 of the same gun.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum