Texas Hunting Forum

Hey Western hunters

Posted By: cmc

Hey Western hunters - 09/27/17 11:56 PM

Has anybody heard anything about Texas not allowing game from western states with any brain, spinal fluid or any part of the nervous system attached to enter the state? I was told by a buddy headed to Colorado that he was told this to be the case. It's an effort to prevent CWD spread and any state with a confirmed case those skulls must be boiled or salted before entering. I will boil or salt mine anyway but wondering if this law now.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 12:23 AM

i have heard of something like that but cannot confirm it.

We are headed to Colorado next month so i need to see what the deal is
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: cmc
Has anybody heard anything about Texas not allowing game from western states with any brain, spinal fluid or any part of the nervous system attached to enter the state? I was told by a buddy headed to Colorado that he was told this to be the case. It's an effort to prevent CWD spread and any state with a confirmed case those skulls must be boiled or salted before entering. I will boil or salt mine anyway but wondering if this law now.

AZ and Cali have been that way for a while, if Texas had it it would be in the new booklet. I don't for see that being the case

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 12:37 AM

I stand corrected
Although the exceptions allow for whole head transfer to taxi... if you don't take to taxi needs to be capped or boiled. Werid so essentially no rules
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_1942.pdf

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 12:43 AM

The exceptions

Cut quarters with all brain and spinal cord tissue removed
» Boned meat — Texas regulations do not allow processing beyond quarters
until reaching your nal destination (home or processing facility).
» Cut and wrapped meat — Texas regulations do not allow processing beyond quarters until reaching your nal destination (home or processing facility).
» Caped hides with skull not attached
» Skull plate with antlers attached and cleaned of all soft tissue
» Finished taxidermy products
» Theskinnedorunskinnedheadofasusceptiblespeciesmaybetransported
to a taxidermist, provided all brain material, soft tissue, spinal column and any unused portions of the head are disposed of in a land ll in Texas permitted by TCEQ. The deer head wavier form (see page 7) to transport the intact head may be obtained from a TPWD CWD Check station

More reason for people to learn to cape and cap a head
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 12:53 AM

I read that last part as you can take it to a taxidermist per usual if they dispose of it properly (after obtaining proper waiver form).

But, this is new to me also.

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 11:20 AM

I think I'll just boil it to be safe. Also a buddy was just called by Colorado Fish and Game and told he was selected for CWD testing so now has to take his deer to be tested upon kill.

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

More reason for people to learn to cape and cap a head

It's amazing how many people have no idea how to PROPERLY do this.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 11:26 AM

that would be a good scenario for democrats
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 02:20 PM

Alabama is that way. The GW's sat up on a hill just after I crossed over from Tennessee. Got pulled over and checked for deer meat killed in a banned state. Fooled them, I didn't shoot a single deer all of last year.
Posted By: J.Monaghan

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 05:02 PM

Talk to your local GW to confirm

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: J.Monaghan
Talk to your local GW to confirm
I'll just boil it. There's a lot of GWs between my local one and when I get into Texas so I'll just be safe.
Posted By: Da' Hitman

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 08:04 PM

Salted? Don't want to hijack your thread, but was is "salted"? So far, I have boiled all skulls for euro mounts, but I've never heard of "salting" a skull

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/28/17 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Da' Hitman
Salted? Don't want to hijack your thread, but was is "salted"? So far, I have boiled all skulls for euro mounts, but I've never heard of "salting" a skull
if you are mounting the animal most folks just cut the skull cap rather than boil the whole skull so you would just cut the cap and then salt it to insure there's nothing alive, borax does the same thing. Basically just trying to stop any unwanted critters from sneaking in.
Posted By: Da' Hitman

Re: Hey Western hunters - 09/29/17 01:14 AM

Ahhh ok
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum