Texas Hunting Forum

Why are acorns falling?

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 04:44 PM

I'm driving around our neighborhood, and the streets are covered in acorns already. I thought they usually drop much later in the season. Am I missing something?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 04:46 PM

According to obscure church the world is ending on Saturday.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 04:46 PM

Live Oaks are dropping. But ones at the property are not dropping ye(white oak)
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 04:48 PM

pin oaks are dropping a few here... they arnt quite ready though..
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 04:49 PM

I have a Live Oak. They're starting to drop already.
I really think the hurricane (followed by the light cool front) made them drop early.

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 04:54 PM

Ok. I'm not sure which oak trees we have, but it's not that big of an oak tree, just standard neighborhood landscape trees. I never paid attention to the various oaks. I just remember them dropping when it's much cooler out. And the big oaks at the deer lease drop late Oct to early Nov.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 05:00 PM

Acorns fall when they have matured. They mature based on when the pollenate. If they pollenate in May, they will fall in September, June will be October. Of course, that is just a start. They will continue to fall for quite some time.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 05:34 PM

Acorns dropping and deer and hogs feeding on them. We still have a lot of acorns on the tree's yet. Mesquite tree's are beginning to shed their leaves already. Is it early for the mesquites to be losing leaves?
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 05:52 PM

I think it's because it is drying up (at least in our area). Trees start shedding acorns/pecans/whatever early when it dries up.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 05:53 PM

Been falling here in Bell county for atlas a month same at my buddies place in Erath
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 07:25 PM

Our live oak acorns have started to drop, they are to green for the critters. I think it had something to do with the hurricane and 40° plus drop in temperature that followed.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 08:27 PM

We have some acorns falling, but not too many. The deer have started eating them at oaks around the yard. I need to look at which trees are dropping acorns. The deer prefer the sweeter acorns of the White Oak family, but they'll eat them all.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 08:31 PM

Almost all the oaks in the area I hunt have rooting under them from hogs. I hope the hogs eat all the dang acorns so the deer will eat the corn
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
According to obscure church the world is ending on Saturday.

flame roflmao

They are right on time here in North Texas
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I'm driving around our neighborhood, and the streets are covered in acorns already. I thought they usually drop much later in the season. Am I missing something?

two+ years of trees getting good rain throughout the year - allowed them to store up some energy and complete acorn production early (versus all the summers of drought before, where they have to struggle the whole summer AND fall to produce).
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass
I think it's because it is drying up (at least in our area). Trees start shedding acorns/pecans/whatever early when it dries up.

This. It's as dry as the fart of the buffalo.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 10:21 PM

Some are dropping around Longview. The Spider Lilies have already bloomed and dried up which usually is several weeks later than now.
Like others said the cool weather may have something to do with it.
Posted By: Pitman

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 10:28 PM

The Post Oaks at my place started dropping two weeks ago. First noticed deer quit coming to feeders, and my goats quit eating grass. Like someone said, no rain here for over a month after wet spring and summer. Shedding immature acorns and some leaves.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 11:08 PM

Chad, I'm a forester. Spring came about a month to a month and a half early this year. So the growing season is a month to a month and a half advanced ahead of a normal year
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 11:20 PM

Our live oaks are dropping already. Luckily they have no where near as many on them as they did last year. Didn't see any post oaks dropping yet. I know the deer prefer those.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 11:25 PM

Started dropping just a few days ago here in Boerne area.

Normally they drop around the second week of october

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/21/17 11:31 PM

Chris, oaks in the red oak family, which include live oak, develop acorns in two seasons. Oaks in the white oak family take one season. The first buds to break dormancy on hardwoods are the flowers. In general in a year like this the red oaks are a little ahead of the white oaks.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 12:23 AM

Good info Smokey. up
We had acorns dropping three weeks ago in Mason County.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: AdanV
I have a Live Oak. They're starting to drop already.
I really think the hurricane (followed by the light cool front) made them drop early.

No Hurricane here and my street and driveway are covered.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

This. It's as dry as the fart of the buffalo.

My sprinkler system is keeping mine watered ......unless it is the air.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Chris, oaks in the red oak family, which include live oak, develop acorns in one season. Oaks in the white oak family take two seasons. The first buds to break dormancy on hardwoods are the flowers so in general in a year like this the red oaks are a little ahead of the white oaks.

^^^^^^ I'm not a dendrologist , but I think you got that backwards (easy to do).

Pretty sure it is the Red Oak family that takes two seasons to produce acorns. Not that it matters with respect to when acorns begin to drop (which is always after they matured). 'Pollination' is the key.
Posted By: Jayburl

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 02:01 AM

I am in east Texas and they have been dropping for well over a month now. White oaks are even dropping in the river bottom.
Posted By: LSCG

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 02:09 AM

live oaks have been dropping for a few weeks now here in Blanco County. bumper crop too so I don't think it's because it's dry. early spring/fall sounds about right.

Pecans are starting to drop as well which can mean only one thing. it's Pecan pie season! food
Posted By: mr. buck

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 02:39 AM

walking my dog in town houston today and noticed acorns falling for the first time. both from white oaks and live oaks. i walk him every day and today was first ive seen so its the very beginning here.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 02:44 AM

Gravity.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Gravity.

roflmao

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Chris, oaks in the red oak family, which include live oak, develop acorns in one season. Oaks in the white oak family take two seasons. The first buds to break dormancy on hardwoods are the flowers so in general in a year like this the red oaks are a little ahead of the white oaks.

^^^^^^ I'm not a dendrologist , but I think you got that backwards (easy to do).

Pretty sure it is the Red Oak family that takes two seasons to produce acorns. Not that it matters with respect to when acorns begin to drop (which is always after they matured). 'Pollination' is the key.

Yes sir you are correct. I was typing fast and mis spoke. I will edit my post to show such

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 03:49 AM

Most often when there is a bumper crop of acorns it will be either the red oaks or the white oaks. Very seldom do you see a bumper crop in successive years from the same species of oaks or both species the same year. Alot of a trees stored nitrogen supply is somewhat depleted in a heavy mast producing year and it will usually have lower production the following year while it rebuilds it. Also much like fruit trees, the oaks that produce early are genetically predisposed to do so, and a bow hunter can bank on them in a normal year, before the rest of the acorns start falling in abundance.

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 02:59 PM

Everyone, thanks for all the insight into the subject! I was just curious about it. I think Sneaky might have the most philosophical (and correct) answer!

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Gravity.

True dat! LOL! I like it!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/22/17 04:56 PM

Global warming, Trump's fault
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/23/17 12:55 AM

I couldn't help myself. grin
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/23/17 01:37 AM

The ground is covered in them and leaves turning, but our trees got stressed from flood.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Why are acorns falling? - 09/26/17 01:35 AM

When oaks are stressed they'll shed part of their crop to ensure that yhey produce viable seed. If the acorns are green, it's shedding from stress. there will be another drop of mature acorns later.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum