Texas Hunting Forum

Laguna Atascosa hunting, opinions/tips?

Posted By: jasons

Laguna Atascosa hunting, opinions/tips? - 09/02/17 09:07 PM

My brother and I drew there this year, never been there before. First time we have ever drawn. I am used to deer hunting public land east texas, so I do not mind a hard/difficult hunt.
We drew archery deer, but can shoot deer or exotic. I am looking for tips or opinions from you guys. Things you wish you had done, hindsight, or equipment ect. I am going to go through all threads here, and look at other internet sites. But, its hard to beat experience from people who have been there. I look forward to meeting people from the board there as well. Anything info helps, thanks.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Laguna Atascosa hunting, opinions/tips? - 09/04/17 10:26 PM

Its a good hunt and the success rate is higher than a typical public land hunt. Lots of deer, nilgai and pigs to be had. Last time I went you had to pack put deer yourself so be prepared, I rode a bicycle into the area, and you will see all types of homemade bow racks and portable ladder stands. Deer are not pressured much. Shoot me a PM if need need more info on places to stay etc, I am about 25 miles from there.

Beware of ticks, I was completely covered one year.

BB
Posted By: javman

Re: Laguna Atascosa hunting, opinions/tips? - 09/04/17 10:47 PM

It's a hard hunt, have a lot of folks drawn walking around and making all kinds of noise. Once hunters start arriving the animals change their patterns and start moving into the protected area. Those drawn the first week usually have the higher success rate. Now if starts raining or drizzling be prepared to walk through some of the stickiest clay ever.

Two years ago hunter got himself a nice bull and the park rangers couldn't even get their vehicles in and told him he was on his own. Started dressing the bull out at 5:30pm and didn't get out till 9 or 10 the next morning.

Oh and besides the ticks be prepared for chiggers as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum