Texas Hunting Forum

Snake in the camper

Posted By: chesterc

Snake in the camper - 09/02/17 04:50 PM

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum so, moderators, feel free to move it .

We found a snake skin in the camper at the lease in addition to some remnants of a snake snack.
We looked around for the snake but didn't find it. My question is ... how can you tell if the snake is still around? Lay on the floor and wait for it to bite you?
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/02/17 05:28 PM

Great question... you would be surprised at what a small space they can get into.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/02/17 05:28 PM

Let ten mice loose in the trailer. Come back in a week, and if you have fewer than ten mice, the snake is still there.

Of course, to get rid of the mice, you have to let loose ten cats.
To get rid of the cats, you need ten dogs.
To get rid of the dogs, you need ...

Wait a second, wasn't there a book written about this?

Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/02/17 08:12 PM

We used to find them every year in a quite drafty bus we used. Give it a couple good inspections prior to deer season and you'll be good. Maybe set off a few bug bombs a couple times before season. That might drive him out if he's waiting patiently under your pillow.
Posted By: rex47

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/02/17 08:14 PM

turn loose a mongoose
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/02/17 08:53 PM

Get rid of the mice that the snakes are eating. Then the snakes will leave.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/02/17 10:22 PM

We found a snake skin in one of the outer storage compartments. No idea how he got in there as it seems to be completely sealed off. I keep one of those high frequency rat and mice plugins which seem to work pretty well. We toss moth balls under the trailer as well as D-Con and that has helped a bunch. Since a feral cat has decided to stay at our camp, our rodent population is down dramatically. One thing I have heard that works well (haven't tried it myself) is to stuff steel wool into all access areas under your trailer. Bigger holes also need foam sealant but I think that deteriorates over time. First thing I do in opening the camper is check everywhere with a flashlight for critters.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/02/17 10:49 PM

Always had good luck with the bug bombs, I usually go overboard with them. Set off on Sunday leaving camp.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/02/17 11:41 PM

I set off bug bombs every time I go.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/03/17 05:02 PM

I always went so much I could keep track of things and kept things pretty clear. But if you are away a long time any poison or deterrent you use will be gone or dissipate before you get back.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/03/17 11:03 PM

At my old house in the woods, Under the house I found a six foot snake skin about a month ago. Two weeks ago I found a five foot snake skin. This is east Texas so the list of poisonous snakes is limited. The skins do not have the tails of a rattler, and copperheads don't get that long. It's a couple of miles to a body of water, so I'm guessing they're not water moccasins. So I'm guessing they're chicken snakes.....I saw one a couple months back. I always leave the non-poisonous ones, thinking that there is only so much snake food to go around....the more non-poisious snakes, the fewer poisonous ones.

But as someone said, get rid of the mice and rats and you'll get rid of the snakes. I put t out extra rat poison. I get it in two gallon tubs for $40.

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/04/17 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Greg Z
Great question... you would be surprised at what a small space they can get into.

That's exactly what we're afraid of!

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/04/17 02:58 AM

I think syncerus wins "best answer". banana

Thanks for all the comments. Normally we put out rat poison both inside the camper and outside in these little habitrail-like gizmos made with PVC pipe. But no one had been out there in months and so I guess this is what happens when we get lazy. Makes sense that if we reduce the food population we'll reduce the snake population. Bug bombs sound like a great idea too. We actually do have some of those sonic bug things in the trailer as well but they've been in there for years and might not be working now.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/04/17 03:22 AM

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/08/17 02:37 PM

I sued bug bombs too in a janky old trailer I used the first year on my lease. The thought of snakes in the trailer caused me to sleep with one eye open. I was glad when I got my small cabin built.
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/08/17 10:43 PM

ingenious
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/08/17 11:34 PM

I'd much rather have a snake or two in my camper then a bunch of mice..... 2cents
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/08/17 11:35 PM

Try a bunch of moth balls.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/08/17 11:35 PM

I'd much rather have a snake or two in my camper then a bunch of mice..... 2cents
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/10/17 12:23 PM

if you big holes take the lids off of metal cans and screw and silicone to floor worked well for me.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Snake in the camper - 09/10/17 08:37 PM

Time for a new camper.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum