Texas Hunting Forum

elk hunt

Posted By: rex47

elk hunt - 08/07/17 07:51 PM

Is it too early to start talking about it? violin
Posted By: PMK

Re: elk hunt - 08/07/17 08:01 PM

nope, anyone considering going, should already be covering some miles on foot in preparation
Posted By: Hunter307

Re: elk hunt - 08/07/17 08:16 PM

Nope, hiked in this week and put up a camera. Less than a month before archery opens.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: elk hunt - 08/07/17 08:46 PM

I've been thinking about it for a few weeks now.

starting to buy up some gear for the trip
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: elk hunt - 08/07/17 10:10 PM

I think about it all year long!!!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: elk hunt - 08/07/17 10:11 PM

I think about it nearly every day when I'm working out. It's never too early.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 01:15 AM

We're down in the mid to low 40's this week, all week. Fall is coming soon.
The rains here will really give a nice boost to forage and seeps in the forest and make for a little quieter stalking in Sept.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 01:38 AM

I wasn't successful in avoiding Martini Monday today. Start again, for the umpteenth time, tomorrow morning. Hotter'n blue blazes here...by 8am. It did rain though today.

'Need to shoot the .338 to remember what it feels like.

Headed to Montana the end of October, come hell or high water!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 02:15 AM

6 weeks for me.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I wasn't successful in avoiding Martini Monday today. Start again, for the umpteenth time, tomorrow morning. Hotter'n blue blazes here...by 8am. It did rain though today.

'Need to shoot the .338 to remember what it feels like.

Headed to Montana the end of October, come hell or high water!

How do you plan on avoiding Tequila Tuesday peep

I am headed to buy a bow in the morning. Elk season can't get here soon enough but maybe a new found Texas archery season for me will tie me over until then.
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 12:49 PM

Headed to Montana the end of October. I'm hoping all the fires haven't messed up much. I'd love to stumble across a big one this year.

Sorry for the folks across the state that are having their lives disrupted. Lots of livestock lost, homes burned and land burnt off up there. Ranchers are having a really tough go of it now.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 02:40 PM

I've been thinking, planning, pouring over Google earth maps, (and it's my 3rd season in this unit) working out, shooting my bow etc etc etc.

5 weeks from today I'll be at 11-12k feet hopefully blood pumping with a bugle just over the ridge!

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 02:58 PM

You need and inReach so I can taunt you about being at tree line.

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 03:07 PM

I don't even know what an inreach is.

Guessing it's a sat phone?

Last year my hunting buds wife insisted on knowing he was alive so I rented a spot got back put it in box slapped the return label on it and it sat for a week and a half.

This year he is going through a divorce because he hunts too much. So no need to take it.

He did have service a few times on his Verizon at a few spots so we can call every couple days if we Need.

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 03:36 PM

Satellite texting, emergency sos and gps.

You need one. Although office found the number last year, and had the newbie text me work questions........ poor kid

Posted By: Bbear

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 04:55 PM

Started talking about it on the drive back home from last year's hunt. Back to Colorado for me and my buds. Still have a few pounds of elk meat left from last year's 5x5 grin

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Satellite texting, emergency sos and gps.

You need one. Although office found the number last year, and had the newbie text me work questions........ poor kid

Sucker (the new guy at your office)

In this unit we are never more than a 4 mile hike to either the truck or a main highway. Hunting in pairs and have a good set of walkie talkies. We are good.

If we were in a big wilderness or I was solo hunting I'd be more serious about it.

Send me your number and I'll text you a pick of the big bull. (At the gas station) like I said we have service in a few spots.
Posted By: J_Cham13

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 07:42 PM

Brought my elk bugle and mouth calls to put on my desk as decoration today grin

I've got Idaho last week of September for me this year. Hoping to repeat on last year's success!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: elk hunt - 08/08/17 08:54 PM

You guys talkin' about weeks are "triggering" me. The doctor said to watch my weight, so I got it out there where I can see it!

I've got a couple of months +. Walked with "the big stick" (12#) this morning. I know I won't have enough cardio under my belt before the hunt, but I am ramping it up...ever so slowly.

If I drop an axis at the end of this week, I should sweat off a couple o' pounds cleaning it.

Re: elk hunt - 08/09/17 02:30 PM

let my son and his buddy talk me into co. in Nov. 3rd season. I really hate to go but guess i will, just to keep them from getting lost in the great shinning mts . LOL
Posted By: Stompy

Re: elk hunt - 08/10/17 01:15 AM

Got one last year but didn't get drawn this year. Booked a Mule Deer hunt instead. Good luck to those that are going.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: elk hunt - 08/10/17 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Wytex
We're down in the mid to low 40's this week, all week. Fall is coming soon.
The rains here will really give a nice boost to forage and seeps in the forest and make for a little quieter stalking in Sept.

Hunted antelope outside of Casper a few years back in mid august.

It froze two out of seven nights
Posted By: Western

Re: elk hunt - 08/10/17 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: sparrish8
I think about it all year long!!!

Ditto! especially when temps here hit upper 90's bang

Re: elk hunt - 08/10/17 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
I've been thinking, planning, pouring over Google earth maps, (and it's my 3rd season in this unit) working out, shooting my bow etc etc etc.

5 weeks from today I'll be at 11-12k feet hopefully blood pumping with a rear quarter over my shoulder!

FIFY, you must have had one of them brain fart thingies grin

Re: elk hunt - 08/11/17 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

5 weeks from today I'll be at 11-12k feet hopefully blood pumping with a rear quarter over my shoulder!

Dennis I can't take you to kill an elk so it will probably be a bunch of almost and shouldas

Re: elk hunt - 08/11/17 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Dennis I can't take you to kill an elk so it will probably be a bunch of almost and shouldas

Shoot, I'd just be a liability and you have already got in them, which is more than many can say.

Re: elk hunt - 08/11/17 02:36 PM

Like I said almost
Posted By: jdickey

Re: elk hunt - 08/12/17 01:57 AM

Didn't get drawn for bull tag this year for New Mexico....again. But grabbed a cow elk tag for Unit 17. which was the last unit I hunted 11 years ago...... Hopefully, Murphy won't be with me this time and I'll bring home some tasty ole cow elk! Also will be getting a free tour of the VLA this time around! VLA = Very Large Array of radio telescopes seen in the movie CONTACT.

Re: elk hunt - 08/12/17 03:26 PM

Have been shooting Hornady 155gr in my 308 for white tails. I decided i would step up to somthing heavier for elk, so i bought some 165 and 178, the 165 was a noticeable difference in recoil but the 178 ELDX was a real change. Think i will stay with the 178 but will take several range visits to get used to them. Was real surprised that both 165 and 178 hit 2-21/2 in higher than the 155 at 100yds, now have 178 hitting 2in high at 100yds. more practice and will be ready.
Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Re: elk hunt - 08/12/17 06:40 PM

Myself and our PH think about it, watch videos on it, talk about it, hear from our clients about it and we've never seen one!

Re: elk hunt - 08/15/17 11:27 AM

my son sent me a text that he has built a wood stove for the tent, since the av. temp at night where we are going to hunt is 4 degrees.
It is a good looking stove, all stainless, i have 4" roof jack ordered

Re: elk hunt - 08/15/17 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: rex47
my son sent me a text that he has built a wood stove for the tent, since the av. temp at night where we are going to hunt is 4 degrees.

Way cool!!! I got a kifaru smith titanium. Think it's like <3 lbs

My advice is if you are truck camping, bring good oak or mesquite with you. Dead pine and dead aspen has terrible burn time and coals.

Re: elk hunt - 08/15/17 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: rex47

Way cool!!! I got a kifaru smith titanium. Think it's like <3 lbs

My advice is if you are truck camping, bring good oak or mesquite with you. Dead pine and dead aspen has terrible burn time and coals.

was just thinking about that, aspen leaves NO coals and pine burns really fast. need to bring along some oak.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum