Texas Hunting Forum

Dead cow

Posted By: Normanpig

Dead cow - 07/26/17 02:40 AM

over the weekend I went to go build a feeder pen and set a feeder. Unfortunately I found a dead cow and 100ish buzzards. 25 yards in front of the blind. Other than digging a hole and pushing it in. What are my options? Lime? Lye? Burn it? Or will nature take care of it? Will it mostly be gone by the end of September? What's y'all experience? Thanks!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 02:42 AM

Won't be much left other than skin and bones within a week or two.....
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Yup. Time for the buzzards to do their job. Bugs will take care of the rest.

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 02:45 AM

Well that's good news! That said. I assume the smell will go away in a month or so?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Normanpig
Well that's good news! That said. I assume the smell will go away in a month or so?

Most of it, will still get a few whiffs until nov

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 03:07 AM

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks y'all!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 03:19 AM

Why are you worried about the smell, aesthetics or because you are worried about it affecting hunting? If the latter, the deer and such won't have a problem with it. They will get used to it. It is part of what happens in nature. Plus, if you want to hunt coyotes and hogs, the carcass may very well attract both.

If you just don't like the smell, then get a tractor and haul the carcass away, but in reality that should not be a significant issue by September...as noted.

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 03:30 AM

We are Setting this spot up for a buddy's son. It's pretty dam close to the blind. Just want the kid be comfortable with out having to stick Vicks up his nose. It hot I don't want to move a stand if I don't have to. Sounds like it will be all good! And we all reddy started calling it "the dead cow blind" pretty sure the name will stick.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 03:34 AM

Bad news is that cow will likely stink for a few months. Good news is it will likely cover your scent hunting the blind this season.
Posted By: budward

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 04:27 AM

Man up.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 05:15 AM

Go stick some tannerite in it I suggest about 5 lbs then shoot it, it will be much easier for animals to eat it in smaller pieces
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 10:17 AM

Cue Josey Wales "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 12:31 PM

You won't see nothing but bones by September.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 12:39 PM

me, I would move it 100yds or so, three or four days, the buzzards will have it down to skin and bones
Posted By: Stub

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 01:00 PM

I assume it is your land and cow, if so bummer on losing the cow and putting up with the stench.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 01:02 PM

I snared a hog a couple of months ago. In two days, there was only the head, hide, and pelvis. In five days, all I found was one perfectly clean scapula. Coyotes, buzzards, and maggots are the grounds keepers.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 01:54 PM

Throw a chain around its legs and drag it off a ways. Those saying it will be gone soon are mistaken, IMO. We've had several die and it takes 4EVER for them to rot down. The tannerite idea actually has some merit.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Throw a chain around its legs and drag it off a ways. Those saying it will be gone soon are mistaken, IMO. We've had several die and it takes 4EVER for them to rot down. The tannerite idea actually has some merit.

I agree with it taking a along time - My grandfather had a cow die by a pond that was my favorite fishing hole and it would have been impossible to get a tractor in there to burry it or drag it off; I remember the carcass and stench being present for months before it finally turned to bones.

The tannerite could work or create a BIG mess - If its possible, I would pile a lot of cut limbs and brush all over the carcass and throw a couple gallons of diesel on it and light it up, get the fire REALLY HOT by using a leaf blower to feed air to it and keep throwing brush on it..... this will not be a fun task but it should speed up the process.

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: deewayne2003

I agree with it taking a along time - My grandfather had a cow die by a pond that was my favorite fishing hole and it would have been impossible to get a tractor in there to burry it or drag it off; I remember the carcass and stench being present for months before it finally turned to bones.

The tannerite could work or create a BIG mess - If its possible, I would pile a lot of cut limbs and brush all over the carcass and throw a couple gallons of diesel on it and light it up, get the fire REALLY HOT by using a leaf blower to feed air to it and keep throwing brush on it..... this will not be a fun task but it should speed up the process.

Agree burn it up
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 03:48 PM

Agree it will take months to rot away. Best to drag it off with chain and truck if you can.
Burning it with brush would help as well.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 05:11 PM

AWW C'mon Tannerite it and video please.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 05:28 PM

Your cow are the ranchers? Be sure he is aware, just saying.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 07:00 PM

In a week or two all you'll need to do is cart off the bones.
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 08:54 PM

drag and burn
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 08:56 PM

Bigger question should be what did it die from? Old age or something like Blue Tongue or anthrax?
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Dead cow - 07/26/17 11:11 PM

I feel your pain.. I once had a buzzard hanging out around my feeder all day. The stench was horrible.. too much to bear..

I told her if she came back, I'd divorce her!

R

Re: Dead cow - 07/27/17 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
I feel your pain.. I once had a buzzard hanging out around my feeder all day. The stench was horrible.. too much to bear..

R

wtf laugh
Posted By: janie

Re: Dead cow - 07/27/17 12:34 AM

Sorry to hear this. Diesel and light a match.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Dead cow - 07/27/17 12:36 AM

I don't know about burning it, maybe a smaller cow and a few acres of brush. I have a friend that had a horse that died. He dumped it on a monster brush pile, added diesel and lit it up. The fire was huge. When it burned down, the next day he had a big oozing clump of half cooked horse. He continued to add more brush and tried to burn the horse to ashes, never happened. He ended up leaving it to rot because the buzzards wouldn't even eat on a cooked horse carcass.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Dead cow - 07/27/17 02:45 AM

Diesel and a match. Done.

Re: Dead cow - 07/27/17 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
Your cow are the ranchers? Be sure he is aware, just saying.

I showed the landowner the cow and location. She leases out the grazing rights. The cow died giving birth along with the calf. Pretty Horrible site for sure. Not a quick process I'm assuming and a tough way to go!

We have talked about putting a tarp over the blind and using the Tannerite method. It will most likely be a couple weeks before anyone goes back out.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Dead cow - 07/27/17 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

I don't know about burning it, maybe a smaller cow and a few acres of brush. I have a friend that had a horse that died. He dumped it on a monster brush pile, added diesel and lit it up. The fire was huge. When it burned down, the next day he had a big oozing clump of half cooked horse. He continued to add more brush and tried to burn the horse to ashes, never happened. He ended up leaving it to rot because the buzzards wouldn't even eat on a cooked horse carcass.
Yep....Hard to burn up a carcass.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Dead cow - 07/28/17 01:42 AM

Leave it.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Dead cow - 07/28/17 03:21 AM

I don't know if it will be a pile of bones by September, but I would think it would be gone by November.

Re: Dead cow - 09/08/17 12:19 AM

So the guys when out to the lease on September 1st........ they found 2 rib bones and a leg bone. That's it no hide and no smell. Worked out great for us!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Dead cow - 09/08/17 12:43 AM

Told ya..... cheers

Re: Dead cow - 09/08/17 01:33 AM

Told ya..... cheers

Yes sir! Some of y'all nailed it.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Dead cow - 09/08/17 03:32 PM

my experience with dead cows is if they die in childbirth or someone shot a healthy cow, they get eaten pretty quick.

if they die of disease they don't get touched and take a long time.

Nature knows which animals are clean and healthy to eat versus the ones to leave alone.

Glad it worked out for ya!! You should still call it the dead cow blind, just sounds cool
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Dead cow - 09/08/17 03:47 PM

Natural scent cover
Posted By: fcr550

Re: Dead cow - 09/15/17 02:43 AM

Had the same thing happen a few years back.. Smelled for a few weeks but eventually went away.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Dead cow - 09/15/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell

R

clap
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum