Texas Hunting Forum

Would you take this shot?

Posted By: Kevin1

Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:28 AM

I just finished confirming my zero at 100Y and I see that little bird on top of the target stand. I’m alone, the rifle is zeroed and deadly accurate.

What would you do? Kill the bird or not?

I didn’t take the shot. When I was younger I would have (hey, I wonder what those 147G ELDM bullet would do to that little bird….let’s see). But as I get older I don’t see myself blowing up living stuff for fun anymore.

I’m not against ethical hunting. So let’s not make this a hunting debate.

Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:34 AM

With the exception of hogs and coyotes I don't shoot anything I don't plan to eat.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:37 AM

I wouldn't. No reason to kill the bird and there's a decent chance it's illegal to kill it anyway. It would be interesting to put up a post card about the size of the bird at that spot and shoot at it. That would at least tell you if you would have most likely hit the bird.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:39 AM

I wouldn't take it either. Don't see a need or any good out of it.

I might shoot the post it's sitting on though. roflmao

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
I wouldn't. No reason to kill the bird and there's a decent chance it's illegal to kill it anyway. It would be interesting to put up a post card about the size of the bird at that spot and shoot at it. That would at least tell you if you would have most likely hit the bird.

No need for that. Those little dots are 1", the rifle is easily sub 0.5" at 100Y. I know that my hit probability would be 100% (well...99.999%)
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:49 AM

No, there is no need to take life or cause suffering without good cause.

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:52 AM

To those who say no they wouldn't....what about when you were younger? You still wouldn't?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:52 AM

In da faccccce
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:56 AM

Only if it was a mockingbird that was mocking me. I do not put up with that chit.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:58 AM

Jack rabbit, coon, rat, possum, armadillo, coyote heck yeah but prob wouldn't shoot a bird except maybe an annoying raven.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 02:40 AM

Nope. Let the bird bee but shoot all the hogs on site.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Kevin1
To those who say no they wouldn't....what about when you were younger? You still wouldn't?
I did some stupid things when I was young...and no I wouldn't shoot it. If you want a challenge take a shell casing and/or golf ball and see what you can do. I've tried it at 200 yards and it's fun.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 02:59 AM

Yes, when I was younger I killed for fun and anyone that says they didn't is either lying to themselves or to us, prolly both!
Now a days only if it was a mud Martin.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 03:01 AM

No today.
Sadly, would have been yes as a kid/youngster. I murdered a lot of birds.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: BOONER
Yes, when I was younger I killed for fun and anyone that says they didn't is either lying to themselves or to us, prolly both!
Now a days only if it was a mud Martin.

Sounds like a Cliff Swallow.

Setting aside the fact it is a federal offense, why?
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Kevin1

When I was younger, probably yes. Now, I wouldn't do it.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 03:42 AM

When I was young I sniped a Beautiful woodpecker off my back yard fence afterwards I felt bad and threw it where I thought my dad wouldn't find it, well he w=found it and he wasn't happy. Prob one of the few times my dad actually seemed to have some type of morals.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 09:59 AM

If that bird is a grackel. I'm killing it.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 11:41 AM

Grackle or crow, yes, but only those.

Other birds land on my targets all the time. I just ignore them.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
With the exception of hogs and coyotes I don't shoot anything I don't plan to eat.

Me too.........
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 01:14 PM

Nope now! Nope then! up
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
Originally Posted By: TexasKC

Me too.........

Yep. However, as a teenager I was a critter killer. I am proud to say I have raised my sons not to be.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 02:56 PM

I shot a bluejay one day with an air rifle. It didn't die immediately and it made me sick to my stomach when I walked up to it. Since then I've never shot another non-game bird.
Posted By: HuntersAnonymous41

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 03:23 PM

Never have and never will. As a kid I was a soft-ie. If I don't plan on eating it, or if leaving it be leaves no damage, it gets a pass any day of week. I will teach my kids the same
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 03:25 PM

I probably wouldn't have noticed it was there.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 03:35 PM

Same thing when zeroing a 10/22. Bee landed on target. A buddy and his kid had just finished and were watching me finish through their scopes. I popped it for them and immediately felt remorse. Won't do it again.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/19/17 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
No today.
Sadly, would have been yes as a kid/youngster. I murdered a lot of birds.

We have a confession laugh
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/20/17 12:21 AM

I have seen many guys shoot meadowlarks and wrens during dove season. I warn them of the consequences and they quickly stop. I seems that most grew up with a BB gun and their first taste of hunting was popping sparrows. I know our cat loved us for it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/20/17 01:44 PM

its that mentality "I want to kill something"
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/20/17 03:00 PM

When I was a very young kid every year I would visit my grandparents on the farm and BBguns were my favorite. We shot everything that flew. I was a dead on shot at 9-10 years old. I admit it.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/20/17 03:02 PM

When I was a very young kid every year I would visit my grandparents on the farm and BBguns were my favorite. We shot everything that flew. I was a dead on shot at 9-10 years old. I admit it.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/22/17 01:04 PM

Wait a minute, I know a Bigfoot from Houston. How's T-Rex?
The Bigfoot I know would need at least 4 shots to score 1!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/22/17 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Same thing when zeroing a 10/22. Bee landed on target. A buddy and his kid had just finished and were watching me finish through their scopes. I popped it for them and immediately felt remorse. Won't do it again.

are you being serious?
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/22/17 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Cast

are you being serious?

Bees are important, without them the human race will perish.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/22/17 06:57 PM

I once shot a bird on a clothesline with a BB gun. Instead of it falling off it swung upside down, hanging by its feet. Before I could do something about it my mom came out with a load of laundry to hang. I was scolded, got the bird and took care of its broken wing until it could fly. I never did anything like that again to a wild bird.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/22/17 07:20 PM

I killed thousands of birds when I was a kid with a BB gun. I killed some every day. There were swarms of sparrows around our barn. I never thought anything about it then, and still don't.

No I wouldn't waste a centerfire rifle bullet to kill a bird, unless it was a hawk or roadrunner.
Posted By: crash700

Re: Would you take this shot? - 06/23/17 01:02 PM

I generally don't shoot anything that I am not going to utilize in some form or another. I say generally because I will shoot hogs and let them lay and let the kids shoot gophers. I will say that during my childhood, I did not necessarily see it that way and shot alot of sparrows and other birds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum