Texas Hunting Forum

Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs?

Posted By: J.G.

Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/02/17 03:49 PM

I don't mean scavenging previously killed hogs, we've all seen that. I mean actively hunting and killing pigs. I say pig, because they wouldn't go after a hog (over 60 pounds) it's too much risk.
Or does the sounder protect the young?

I ask, because I've got lots of coyotes, and a sounder that roves around. I do not see deer numbers like they ought to be, so I kill every hog and coyote I see.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/02/17 03:57 PM

I did see a coyote in full retreat mode being chased by a 100 lb or so sow. She was giving it her best but of course had no chance at catching up. The chase lasted a solid 150 - 200 yards before she gave up.

That's the best I can do...
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/02/17 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I don't mean scavenging previously killed hogs, we've all seen that. I mean actively hunting and killing pigs. I say pig, because they wouldn't go after a hog (over 60 pounds) it's too much risk.
Or does the sounder protect the young?

I ask, because I've got lots of coyotes, and a sounder that roves around. I do not see deer numbers like they ought to be, so I kill every hog and coyote I see.

I haven't seen any proof of this, but Coyotes are opportunist so I would think in the right situation they would make that kill. I'm with you on Seeing and Shooting when I can.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/02/17 07:44 PM

I see pigs just about everyday and coyotes on most days.
I have never seen a coyote with a small pig in its mouth or ever seen one chase one.
I've watched coyotes give a group of pigs a wide birth every time I have seen the two close together.
I guess if the momma pig got killed and she had some little piglets that were left stranded one might try to kill it. But for the most part I think coyotes steer way clear of anything that smells like a pig.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/02/17 09:02 PM

I find coyote scat with hog hair all the time. They have to be eating the smaller piglets.
Posted By: JLP83

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/02/17 09:20 PM

Would have to be one brave coyote to attempt it. I've never seen the little piglets get very far away from momma.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/02/17 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
I find coyote scat with hog hair all the time. They have to be eating the smaller piglets.
this
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/02/17 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: JLP83
Would have to be one brave coyote to attempt it. I've never seen the little piglets get very far away from momma.
I know 2 different people that have caught piglets by hand. Tiniest ones are usually at the back of the line.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 12:03 AM

When I was driving the roads in llano looking at deer last year there were 2 piglets all by themselves sitting on the other side of a small fence. I walked up to within 10 ft without them even noticing me. No big ones around at all. believe me I was hesitant to walk over there looking for the older pig laying down in the brush. I had my cc gun with me and It was running through my mind the consequences of shooting a pig even in self defense on a public road.

If a coyote would have come along one of them would have been dinner. They wouldnt last long without protection from mama pig in the wild.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 01:20 AM

In the last dozen years, I have seen coyotes on piglets a number of times as have my hunters. Usually, it is fairly soon after killing a sow with piglets as they keep milling around then all hell breaks loose. Like someone else stated, I see hog hair in coyote scat all the time and after my prescribed burns, I'm always surprised to find the number of small hog skulls that I do once the ground cover is burnt off.

On the other end of it, we have killed a number of coyotes of freshly killed hogs that we position near our deer blinds. My dad shot two that were sitting on top a very large bore, plunked them right off. One watched the other and then he died too.

The weirdest piglet snatch I've witnessed was right after daylight one morning. I had killed a very large sow at my house feeder and the piglets had remained in a tight group while moving into a .65 acre food plot that had just low vegetation. My dad had come out of his house to watch as I was going to use #6 shot to police up the piglets. We were on the edge of the plot while I was switching out the shells in the shotgun and commenting on a white piglet in the group. While we watched a caracara swooped down and scooped it up and started to fly away from us toward the brushline. It was a very quiet, still morning and the pig was screaming a fit. My dad started to speculate about whether the bird would drop the piglet at the brushline at the edge of food plot as it looked like he wouldn't clear it. It made it with inches to spare and continued South. I was so intent on watching the bird that I didn't even notice what direction the piglets had scattered so I went back to my coffee.
Posted By: corkys son

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 02:19 AM

Have never seen a coyote kill a pig or even chase one. But we have coyote scat all over the lease with hog hair in it. That's the sole reason I don't kill the coyotes. I have seen several times the sow abandoning the piglets, you can shoot one of the piglets and it can scream it's head off. She doesn't come back. Not going to tell you the sow is not going to come back, but have never seen it happen.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 03:25 AM

Thank you for the replies, everyone.

Based on the stories my guess is that it depends on the genes in the pack, weather or not they would hunt down pigs.

Does that seem plausible?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 04:28 AM

On an archery hunt heard comotion behind me while in my stand, turned & seen a yote carring a piglet off in its jaws... flag
Posted By: Stub

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 12:45 PM

As said before, Yotes are opportunist if a piglet or small enough pig was easy pickings, they would take it and run.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
As said before, Yotes are opportunist if a piglet or small enough pig was easy pickings, they would take it and run.

No one is arguing that.

I can hear the sounder from time to time. More than once, I've taken off walking, with rifle in hand. If I can hear it, coyotes can hear it, and probably smell it. The sounder in my area seem to stay within three miles of me. Looks like a big ole predator buffet. I wonder if the packs of coyotes go get a meal when ever they feel like it. My bet is yes.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 01:58 PM

Based on the stories my guess is that it depends on the genes in the pack, weather or not they would hunt down pigs.

Not really. It isn't going to be a genetic basis for whether or not a given coyote or coyotes will hunt pigs. It certainly may be a learned/experiential or need basis, however.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 02:37 PM

Of course learned experience. Coyotes are brilliant, based on what I've observed, for many years of hunting them. Maybe genetics wasn't the most appropriate term. If ten generations ago, a coyote learned to hunt pigs, and that behavior is taught to each following generation. That would be technique, within the pack. That more appropriate?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 04:34 PM

More appropriate, but the generations aspect isn't necessary. The behavior may be taught by a preceding generation or learned last week because the yote was hungry. What is learned today may or may not carry over and be adopted by the pack or all members of the pack. Not everything learned by the pack will necessary pass down to the next generation.

Coyotes have canid smarts and are good at being coyotes. I don't think that really qualifies them as brilliant, LOL.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 04:44 PM

I maintain my brilliant statement. They are the smartest critter walking the land, in Texas, after humans of course. I've seen them reason, and have been very impressed by their intelligence. Of course I've had lots that made fatal mistakes too. wink
Posted By: TWarren

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 06:37 PM

In the panhandle, I watched a sounder feeding on a hillside as a coyote snuck in and snatched one of the piglets and carried it away. The adults didn't act as though they cared at all. I have seen more times than not the adults will not come to the rescue of a squealing piglet, guess they know how prolific they can reproduce.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 07:17 PM

Thank you for sharing. It seems that's the story across many parts of the state.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/03/17 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
this
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/04/17 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: corkys son
Have never seen a coyote kill a pig or even chase one. But we have coyote scat all over the lease with hog hair in it. That's the sole reason I don't kill the coyotes. I have seen several times the sow abandoning the piglets, you can shoot one of the piglets and it can scream it's head off. She doesn't come back. Not going to tell you the sow is not going to come back, but have never seen it happen.

I watched a litter of 15-16 piglets (hard to count all them little buggers) one morning for 3 hours that were up under the bushes next to a feeder. The piglets would come out to the corn from time to time, but no mama pig ever came around. I finally decided that a few piglets for dinner would be nice, so I decided to see how close I could get. I walked right up to the piglets. Some would come out right next to me, I would shoo them away with my boot. I enjoyed the show and then lined up 2 on them with mt 22-250 from about 5 feet. I shot them and it went nuts, I had little pigs running and screaming everywhere, I needed a shotgun badly.
As I picked up my dinner I thought how easy it would have been for any predator whether it was coyote, fox, coon, cat or even human to get them piglets. They were easy prey for any of us.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/04/17 01:40 PM

I watched a sow being absolutely murdered by a pack of coyotes from my bow stand 6-7 years ago, but it was through the brush and some trees. I'd just see dogs and little blurs of black. Couldn't tell if she was previously injured or what, but it wasn't a tiny pig. Probably 80-100 lbs. As you'd suspect, she didn't go down without a fight and it took like 15 minutes before she stopped screaming. Incredibly loud. I guess once they killed her, they called in the rest of the pack because by the time I crawled out of my stand less than an hour later, there was no trace beyond some hair and blood.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/04/17 01:42 PM

I think it depends more on the food supply and whether there's easier stuff around.

If they're hungry, they're gonna make a go of it. Period.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/04/17 03:14 PM

I agree, Cameron. They are experts at adapting. Seen too many country, and city coyotes make a living in their respective environments.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/04/17 03:19 PM

There's no need to overthink it. They will kill pigs just like they will kill anything else that they can kill and eat. Whenever and wherever.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/04/17 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
There's no need to overthink it. They will kill pigs just like they will kill anything else that they can kill and eat. Whenever and wherever.

Hunger is a great motivator.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/05/17 01:31 PM

Yes, coyotes will eat every pig that they can catch, problem is some of the old sows are really good at protecting them.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/05/17 02:36 PM

Pigs and hogs alike stress pretty bad in heat, makes me wonder if a pack of coyotes worked at chasing around a pig or hog of any size long enough like they do deer they would just have to wait long enough for it to fall over and then enjoy a warm meal LOL.

Every time I shoot a sow and the piglets scatter I like to think the coyotes have them cleaned up by the next dawn... we have a LARGE coyote population, but with the grass/brush density its really hard to shoot them and trapping is an art form we are trying to learn.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/05/17 03:39 PM

To go with what you're saying, I've seen coyotes do some serious running, in some serious heat. Even saw one hunting for rodents in a pasture at 3 p.m. in normal August weather. Had someone bet me I'd see that, I would have lost that bet.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/08/17 02:54 PM

confused2 note ta self: pm the story of the 3 little pigs ta read, he seems confused2 ... flag
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/11/17 05:13 PM

I have sat in a blind and watched a coyote with a little piglet in his mouth, kind of carrying and dragging it along, I think the piglet was still alive. It was at distance so I'm not sure about the piglet being alive part, I could not hear it.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/12/17 02:04 PM

Personally no I have not, but I have seen a sow go into an area that I'm pretty positive I heard a piglet in distress. I ended up shooting the sow while she was walking to the area. If that was the case I think some sows are like some does where they will protect the young at the noise of distress regardless if it is theirs or not.
Posted By: budward

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/13/17 01:57 PM

I don't know about coyotes, But I know my dog (golden retriever/border collie mix) killed one. He's a straight up savage in the woods
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/13/17 07:00 PM

I've chased down and caught a lot of little piglets. If they're house cat size or smaller and I can get close enough I can get one usually. In a dead run if you can kick one he'll roll and cartwheel enough to catch him.

The sows have never tried to fight not once. They are the first ones gone, sometimes running over their own piglets on the way. I've seen cornered pigs charge but not if they have a way out.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/13/17 07:31 PM

Hogs are not vicious, bloodthirsty, or even mean. That's just a TV/city boy myth. Sure - you trap them, wound them, corner them (particularly with a catch dog hanging off their snout) and they will defend themselves. So will a mouse or a mockingbird.

Have approached dozens of sounders. As said above, they all run. Mommas don't wait on the pigs - they run just like the rest of them. Coyotes eat the chit out of every pig they can catch.

It's a silly question.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/13/17 08:26 PM

Good thing I didn't ask you then.

That's twice you've crapped on this thread. Go away.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/13/17 08:41 PM

Good thing I didn't ask you then.

That's twice you've crapped on this thread. Go away.

Baha

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/13/17 08:42 PM

You asked everyone. You started an entire thread on whether coyotes will kill and eat eat pigs. nidea

Yes, they will.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/13/17 10:04 PM

Hogs are not vicious, bloodthirsty, or even mean. That's just a TV/city boy & execative hunters myth. Sure - you trap them, wound them, corner them (particularly with a catch dog hanging off their snout) and they will defend themselves. So will a mouse or a mockingbird.

Have approached dozens of sounders. As said above, they all run. Mommas don't wait on the pigs - they run just like the rest of them. Coyotes eat the chit out of every pig they can catch.

It's a silly question.

FIFY, huntsolo here, eeks333 just seen a bunch of RED lights go on in the ignorance list ...
Got on first leasr cause heard of the 24-7-365 hog hunts... Got on this forum ta see if any one was up for a hog hunt on WMA land... as pappy sad: tis not the hogs that scare me, tis the hunter with a loaded gun thats scared of his own shadow ...
Seen a pattiet little gal from around home state, on a hog-dog hunt with knife tougher than some ya'lls ... Have been in thick stuff, after wounded hog, day & night hunt... on the many hunts, did have a hog bluff charge, was talking ta daughter on new cell phone, tried ta switch ta video, few piglets & nother sow stepped out, one closest charge again, got with in few feet, then all turned & disappered...
dont have ta take my word, read other posts, watch videos of the NV & Thermal hunts... Wounded & cornerd most dangerous, scratch other than the ocational hog chased by a squash riding on his wooley mamoth followed by his chubracabras...
Edit: theirs no stupid questions, an ocasional answer... pappy once said: some times it gets dark between the headlights, & whin i flip the switch, the elemints dont conect flag
Posted By: sundownbrown

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 12:04 PM

Interesting

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 03:47 PM

Don't agree that hogs aren't vicious.

They're not always vicious and/or aggressive, but they sure as hell can be. Even without being cornered.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

They're not always vicious and/or aggressive, but they sure as hell can be. Even without being cornered.

Cite one example of a hog attacking and/or injuring someone unprovoked.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 05:06 PM

Mkay.
Quote:
The woman is still being treated for her injuries. She was walking her two dogs in the Gordon Valley area last week, when the boar attacked for apparently no reason.

http://fox40.com/2014/11/19/vicious-wild-boar-attacks-woman-walking-with-dogs/

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

Mkay.
Quote:
The woman is still being treated for her injuries. She was walking her two dogs in the Gordon Valley area last week, when the boar attacked for apparently no reason.

http://fox40.com/2014/11/19/vicious-wild-boar-attacks-woman-walking-with-dogs/

Well, sorta. I would say since it was wounded/3 legged (having obviously been shot or snared) that might explain it.

You boys keep worrying about vicious hog attacks if you've got nothing else to worry about though. Carry on.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 05:33 PM

I've never thought twice about rushing into a sounder and punting the little babies around, and I've never been attached. For some reason it's good fun. Saw a boar that wasn't cornered make a half hearted charge one night. I don't think he was sure what I was. Once he figured it out he turned and was gone through the brush.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 05:48 PM

I've had a bird dog who couldn't resist grabbing piglets. If a bird dog will do it, so will a coyote.

I was always afraid the pig's mama was going to get to her before I could. She had been bitten by javelina at least once, I suspect twice, and couldn't stand pigs.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 05:52 PM

Woman attacked while walking dogs. If you do a quick google search, you’ll see that people in urban areas have been increasingly attacked by hogs while walking their dogs.

Man attacked while hunting squirrels Granted, the guy was probably making some noise. So maybe in your book an animal that will attack you for the mild irritation of having to endure some .22LR noise doesn’t constitute “unprovoked”, but that’s a silly take.

Man attacked in water while fishing. This dude was literally wading in the water, nowhere near a hog, and the thing swam out after him. Maybe the gentle splashing sounds he was making were just a bit too much for these misunderstood, gentle creatures?

That was with like 2 seconds of searching. If you've spent any time whatsoever in the woods, you've probably seen them aggressively run deer off of corn. Unprovoked.

Let me know if you're confused on anything else and I’ll help you work through it.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 05:57 PM

I have been living with and killing hogs for over 30 years. I'm not confused about squat.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 05:58 PM

Still not convincing me to be scared of the big bad pig. Some rare cases maybe they are dangerous, still running down and kicking the cr@p out of every piglet I can. Hopefully while momma watches, but if I had to bet she'll be in the next county not worrying about ol slow pork getting punted by a redneck.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Pointer
I've had a bird dog who couldn't resist grabbing piglets. If a bird dog will do it, so will a coyote.

I was always afraid the pig's mama was going to get to her before I could. She had been bitten by javelina at least once, I suspect twice, and couldn't stand pigs.

Javalinas are a little different. A little.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 06:00 PM

Javis are a lot different I think. Call in a few from the ground using distress calls. They show up bristled up and wanting a fight. I won't be jumping on any baby javis.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 06:03 PM

I have been living with and killing hogs for over 30 years. I'm not confused about squat.

You're confused again.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/14/17 06:14 PM

"Cite one example..."

Several examples are cited.

"No proof, bunch of scaredy cats, you're dumb I'm smart."

What a tool.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 01:56 PM

I saw coyotes snatch a piglet once while bowhunting near Hillsboro. Two sows and piglets were headed towards my feeder when three coyotes came flying out of a creek bed. The coyotes snatched one of the smaller piglets and then the fight was one. Momma sow bum rushed the coyotes and rolled one of them. The coyote she hit got up limping and running off. The whole scene lasted a few seconds, but it was an awesome sight to see. The coyotes got the piglet, but one them paid a big price. I failed to mention the volume of the hogs squeals and snorts was off the charts loud. I was ticked off at first because my hunt was ruined, but then I realized you don't see things like this very often.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 03:15 PM

[b][/b]

Edit: rofl note ta self... stop making videos in rain of thunderstorms... got old android, its circuts malfunction....
confused2 read post by bigjoe ... next thing new , it showed post from me ...
so not ta waist post...
theirs evidence of yotes taking smaller hogs...
keep getting pop-ups
Quote:
a secure connection can't be found
Dan Gov... i confused2 ts that alien thing ... flag

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 04:32 PM

"Cite one example..."

Several examples are cited.

"No proof, bunch of scaredy cats, you're dumb I'm smart."

What a tool.

+1

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 05:32 PM

I concede that, by scouring sites like one called "Outdoor Oddities" you found 2 or 3 apparent examples of hogs attacking some folks. (Assuming you believe it happened that way. Frankly, I don't. But that's what they said.)

Here's the larger point: if you are scared of hogs and view them as vicious when unprovoked/unwounded - it can only be because you have little to no experience with them. I have kicked plenty of pigs just for fun (after Momma was dead/ran off) and will do so till I die if the mood strikes.

Say what you will, bash, whatever.

That's a straight up "city-boy" mentality - closer to what a PETA snowflake would believe than anyone with even a modicum of real experience living with hogs.
So is asking if coyotes will eat pigs. I started out very low key, but having been "called out" I will say this: I can't believe that question would even be asked with a straight face by someone on a hunting forum.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 05:41 PM

(Assuming you believe it happened that way. Frankly, I don't. But that's what they said.)

That's because, regardless of the issue, unless it fits your beliefs; it can't be true.

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 05:44 PM

(Assuming you believe it happened that way. Frankly, I don't. But that's what they said.)

That's because, regardless of the issue, unless it fits your beliefs; it can't be true.

At least my belief here is based on 53 years growing up around/hunting/trapping/killing hogs in east TX. Instead of some TV/website stoked "fear" stories to get the city boys to think they have really done something when they kill a hog.

Sells a lot of ARs though. wink nidea

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 05:59 PM

These vicious monsters off my place were loaded in a trailer and sold for city folks to hunt. Done every day probably over 100x a day in TX. Can't believe all us crazy folks have survived. Maybe I can walk to the stand without being attacked now. smile

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 06:03 PM

Nobody is claiming every wild pig is a blood thirsty monster. You are claiming that wild pigs do not attack unprovoked.
It can be easily proved that, be it rare, wild pigs will attack unprovoked.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 06:16 PM

To go with what you're saying, I've seen coyotes do some serious running, in some serious heat. Even saw one hunting for rodents in a pasture at 3 p.m. in normal August weather. Had someone bet me I'd see that, I would have lost that bet.

Back when I was a young fellow in Odessa we lived in the country, got my first horse when I was 4yo. One day the recorded temp was 103 degrees and while out checking fence I saw a coyote chasing a rabbit and they were both walking.. cowboy .

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 06:21 PM

Hogs are not vicious, bloodthirsty, or even mean. That's just a TV/city boy myth. Sure - you trap them, wound them, corner them (particularly with a catch dog hanging off their snout) and they will defend themselves. So will a mouse or a mockingbird.

It's a silly question.

bs Check the documented history of Gainesville TX. texas

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/17/17 06:28 PM

Why ? It is apparent you haven't checked the matter enough or you would know you are incorrect.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Have you seen evidence of coyotes killing and eating pigs? - 06/18/17 04:40 AM

I hunt all the time at night, have seen many times a yote is trying to get a pig Leyte. Sows and boars protect the piglettes. Usually the piglettes get close to mom when one is hanging around
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum