Texas Hunting Forum

farmers & ranchers?

Posted By: colt45-90

farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 12:52 AM

how many forum members make their living 100% off their land? as such would you be in favor of poison bait for hogs? for me it would be a hard decision to make. in the 50's we used chemicals that had a very adverse affect to pheasant and other wild life. luckily we don't have hogs where I grew up on the farm, be a hard choice to make. say hogs destroy just 25 acers of wheat, could be conservatively $2000/ not counting cost of getting the crop in.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 01:56 AM

I've successfully eradicate prairie dogs...any more questions smile

I'm all for poison, but want to see a better delivery system.

Hunting aspect is a joke as a viable control method. My person ranch doesn't have a hog issue. Have a pronghorn issue and "use to" have an elk issue.
Posted By: swmays

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:09 AM

If you really had a pronghorn issue, you'd let me hunt them for free... cool
Posted By: T Bone

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:17 AM

We didn't use to have a hog problem.. Now, it makes planting corn v-e-r-y slow & screws up the germination.. Only problem is, like others have said, when you poison them that usually makes its way further down the food chain..

Beats the hell outta the suspension on this..

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: swmays

Knock yourself out. Shot everyone you see. My place is Mainly in Oklahoma...they do things a little arse backwards tag wise....elk was an easy fix, use to we would just wait until they cross state line and hammer time, now we have a tag option for the reluctant migrates

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 01:57 PM

late 40's early 50's, my dad made a home made poison spreader, truck rear end with a 55gal barrel on top with a spinner in the bottom, used bran, I don't remember the bait, grass hoppers were so bad they were eating spring wheat as much as 25yds into the fields from the edges. if he were alive today, I know what his answer would be.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:04 PM

My land produces money from hay, and mostly from the range. I have to keep that range mowed. Both involve tractor usage. I hate hogs with a passion! They've torn up the land I've worked so hard to smooth up, and rehab grass. I'd be all for poisoning, but I would NOT want to harm any other critter out there. I've got very little deer, and am just now starting to see turkey.

How would poison only target hogs?
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

lead poisoning would be target selective
Posted By: Navasot

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I've successfully eradicate prairie dogs...any more questions smile

I'm all for poison, but want to see a better delivery system.

Hunting aspect is a joke as a viable control method. My person ranch doesn't have a hog issue. Have a pronghorn issue and "use to" have an elk issue.

cheers

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:18 PM

Ag income is so low you have to be a rich farmer/rancher to begin with to make it

hogs don't tear up my land like in other places, they just come visit the
3 tanks, eat fallen fruits/corn then move back to the river.

The only poison I've used is rat poison inside the barn

I don't even use fertilizer for my coastal or any of the fruit trees or my vineyard
I like things natural as much as possible

If i were to have hog problem, I can shoot them faster than they can produce.
And my friends would be more than happy to play GI Joe with hogs
Posted By: cameron00

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:21 PM

Not if it creates a bigger "human" issue.

I do let people I trust hunt pigs for free. But hunting pigs isn't really overly effective. High scale trapping and the helicopter hunts are the only real methods for reducing the population as far as I can tell.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:21 PM

Iv got plenty of customers that make their living off of hay... they loose lots of land and spend more money to fix it every year... other fields cattle graze in are being destroyed too.... yall can think of all the reasons it shouldn't but the poison is coming one way or another
Posted By: KG68

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:26 PM

We are just beginning to see hogs on our properties in western Mills and can already see the damage they do but I'm not ready to start throwing out poison until I know more about the down side.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00

I do let people I trust hunt pigs for free. But hunting pigs isn't really overly effective. High scale trapping and the helicopter hunts are the only real methods for reducing the population as far as I can tell.
I hear you, I would think it would take more helicopters and traps than we could possibly do, maybe build a WALL elmer
Posted By: redchevy

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:32 PM

Seems like I read somewhere they can use some type of salt in feed that kills hogs but seems to not affect other animals. I believe it was reported they use it in Australia.

I don't make my living farming or ranching and I would still support it.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:36 PM

Don't make my living from it. I can say this however. It will not be used on my property if I have a say in the matter. Hope its not used on my neighbors as well. In our area its mainly range land and honestly the hogs don't really do much except compete for food with the deer and turkey. Fairly descent sized coastal field on my place and they are never in it except on the fringe where it meets the wooded areas. Even when they are they are not tearing up the coastal. They root around the oak trees a little and that is about all.
Posted By: RockinU

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 02:55 PM

It's not my sole means of support, but I do derive income from my place that is important to my family, and I do have mild hog issues. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't taken the time to educate myself on this poison issue. I'd have no problem controlling pests with poisons, but I'd rather see how it works out for others before I try it. With most ambitious endeavors there are significant unintended consequences. Unintended consequences from poisons have the potential to be dangerous I would imagine. I'd think a slow implementation in limited areas to start out might be something to consider. Maybe they already have, don't know... I'm in the wait and see camp.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 03:38 PM

I don't think you have to be a farmer/rancher for this to affect you. I don't like the idea of prescription drugs being put out in the open environment that will just get washed into the water supply. Our public water system doesn't have the capability of removing these types of chemicals.

The below was taken from the EPA.

Quote:
ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This product may be toxic to fish, birds and other wildlife. Dogs and other predatory and scavenging mammals and
birds might be poisoned if they feed upon animals that have eaten the bait. Do not apply this product directly to
water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high-water mark. Do not
contaminate water when disposing of equipment wash waters.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45

I hear you, I would think it would take more helicopters and traps than we could possibly do, maybe build a WALL elmer

Guys, I was just being a smart alec. Along the lines of "if you charge for pig hunts you don't have a pig problem..."

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

Helicopter is the only way that does any good.

I'm saving my pennies for a Huey.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 05:33 PM

I know that hunting isn't an efficient means of control, but that's because of a number of factors. The pressure on the hogs is too inconsistent. I don't have a bad problem because I shoot every hog I see, when I see sign I hunt them. But just across the road is an absentee owner who puts zero pressure on hogs, and won't allow anyone else to either. I'm afraid that the poison will be similar. There will be too many "sanctuary" areas where no control is practiced, and the overall effect on the population won't be what some hope.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 05:38 PM

Also, some hunters and trappers aren't really practicing real control. I kill quite a few barrows every year, and while I know they can't contribute to the expansion of the population, cutting their balls off does absolutely zero to mitigate the property damage they are capable of.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/22/17 10:42 PM

that reminds me of that gun ship they used in nam
Posted By: therancher

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 02:16 AM

I make my money from ranching. I will never think poisoning food is a good idea.

Helicopter hours are cheap and worth the price.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 03:12 AM

I make my living farming rice and row-crops.

Battling hogs in my corn right now. They just go down the row and eat the seed out. Got some parts of the field where there's hardly any corn there. Very frustrating and just a hard pill to swallow.

As for poison goes, I don't think I agree with it. If there was a way that it would only stay in the hog and not mess with any other animals then I'd be in line to buy the stuff tomorrow morning.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 03:15 AM

Ag income is so low you have to be a rich farmer/rancher to begin with to make it

Off topic but I hate hearing when people say this.

I started farming on my own without a dollar to my name.

Nothing has been easy.

So far so good, and I wasn't born into it either.
Posted By: DH3

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 03:54 AM

I think that there is an overreaction to the poison being used. The concentration of Wafarin (The Poison) is so minute that it does not effect any other animal..just hogs.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 04:09 AM

If you know a place with that many I know a guy but we would have to see if he is willing to do it... Let me know peep

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 09:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Featherduster

Nothing has been easy.

good for you. not impossible but very difficult, depending on acreage ect. equipment alone runs into hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 12:14 PM

Farming/ranching has been my families major income as long as I can remember. Mom was a school teacher which doesn't be make near enough to do much and dad was farming and ranching. Now I do the farming and ranching with him and my son may take over for me one day. We have a few hog problems now and then and trapping has been the most effective way to deal with them. I may try the poison on one of our area to see how well it really worked, but I do share the concerns about it effecting non-target species and humans.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: DH3
I think that there is an overreaction to the poison being used. The concentration of Wafarin (The Poison) is so minute that it does not effect any other animal..just hogs.

It's Warfarin?

An anticoagulant prescribed to atrial fibrillation patients. I wonder what that does to the hogs? Hogs anatomy and physiology is not far off from humans. Are we giving them an anticoagulant to prevent clotting after having been shot, or is shooting not needed?

Interesting.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 03:38 PM

It's Warfarin?

An anticoagulant prescribed to atrial fibrillation patients. I wonder what that does to the hogs? Hogs anatomy and physiology is not far off from humans. Are we giving them an anticoagulant to prevent clotting after having been shot, or is shooting not needed?

Interesting.

Yes it is Warfarin. No, a shot is not needed. Repeated doses build up in the hogs system which induces spontaneous internal bleeding and they eventually bleed to death. Can take repeated feeding and up to a month to kill a hog.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 07:16 PM

Interesting, thank you.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 07:31 PM

If it builds up in hogs and take a month to kill them chances are high that people will be shooting and eating hogs that are eating it. If it builds up in hogs wouldn't it build up in the people that eat them?
Posted By: 505ed

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06

It's Warfarin?

Interesting.

Yes it is Warfarin. No, a shot is not needed. Repeated doses build up in the hogs system which induces spontaneous internal bleeding and they eventually bleed to death. Can take repeated feeding and up to a month to kill a hog.

The question is not "Can" it will take repeated feeding...Warfarin is a multi feed bait....this is not the best solution...their are other compounds that would do a better job...their is also problems with bait palatability--
Posted By: rex47

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 08:43 PM

with Warfarin the more water they the better it works.
Posted By: PMK

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 10:20 PM

I wonder why they aren't trying to find some type of bait that sterilizes them and over time, the problem go away due to no breeding ... scratch

I don't make a living by farming or ranching and only have a small place that I used to run a few head of cattle to keep ag exemption in place and put meat in the freezer ... but at the beginning of the drought, ~2009, the feral hogs got to blowing huge hole in my fence that I would patch (due to the artisan springs on my place), just for them to move over 10-15 feet and start another hole. It got so bad that the fences were in such bad shape, I was getting calls from neighboring ranches that my cattle were over on their places about every other week. I used about 80-100 cattle panels patching the fence over about a year time frame and finally gave up and converted the place over to a wildlife management improvement exemption just to not have to repair fence and chase cattle over a several mile area.

I am out there at least once a month, more during hunting season and we shoot every hog we get an opportunity to shoot. I even gave a friend and his wife (plus a buddy of their's) permission to hunt and trap hogs mid January thru August for a couple of years. No telling how many we all took off the place over the past 7-8 years ... and you couldn't tell one was killed. they just reproduce too fast to make a dent in them.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Featherduster

Nothing has been easy.

Awesome man! That is extremely rare for sure. Unless you are talking about farming the wacky tabacky, and that usually ends badly!

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 10:40 PM

hogs don't tear up my land like in other places, they just come visit the
3 tanks, eat fallen fruits/corn then move back to the river.

The only poison I've used is rat poison inside the barn

I don't even use fertilizer for my coastal or any of the fruit trees or my vineyard
I like things natural as much as possible

If i were to have hog problem, I can shoot them faster than they can produce.
And my friends would be more than happy to play GI Joe with hogs

I'm not sure about your place but overall it is impossible to control hogs by hunting them!

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/23/17 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: RockinU
Also, some hunters and trappers aren't really practicing real control. I kill quite a few barrows every year, and while I know they can't contribute to the expansion of the population, cutting their balls off does absolutely zero to mitigate the property damage they are capable of.

I have killed several as well and it always pisses me off, but to each their own.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: therancher
I make my money from ranching. I will never think poisoning food is a good idea.

You ranch not farm, and you already probably gather your cattle with helo. . In Certain areas Helo's are only viable a very small percentage of the year due to foliage. I love hunting elk... they lay over a $180k plus corn circle, they die and I don't care how it happens.

Fact of matter is I have yet to see either side of the drug debate lay up any facts. I wish someone who was involved in the study (not my brothers wife's great uncle who is the #1 biologist in Texas said) publish some good facts. Half life's, drug residue in meat etc.

As of right now the delivry method for warfin is a joke. Might as well use remote trap.

Hunting aspect as a control option is pissing in the wind.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 12:10 AM

I don't think you have to be a farmer/rancher for this to affect you. I don't like the idea of prescription drugs being put out in the open environment that will just get washed into the water supply. Our public water system doesn't have the capability of removing these types of chemicals.

The below was taken from the EPA.

Quote:
ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This product may be toxic to fish, birds and other wildlife. Dogs and other predatory and scavenging mammals and
birds might be poisoned if they feed upon animals that have eaten the bait. Do not apply this product directly to
water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high-water mark. Do not
contaminate water when disposing of equipment wash waters.

It is or it isnt, that says neither.

Posted By: don k

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 12:23 AM

I don't so far have a hog problem. I do at times have a coyote problem. In trying to solve a ranchers or farmers problem there is usually a small amount of collateral damage. Be it from traps, snares or other things a person uses to try to solve their problem. As long as the result does not involve humans that is just the way it is.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
I don't so far have a hog problem. I do at times have a coyote problem. In trying to solve a ranchers or farmers problem there is usually a small amount of collateral damage. Be it from traps, snares or other things a person uses to try to solve their problem. As long as the result does not involve humans that is just the way it is.

Have call, will travel. (coyote problem related, not hog poison related)

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 03:25 AM

You ranch not farm, and you already probably gather your cattle with helo. . In Certain areas Helo's are only viable a very small percentage of the year due to foliage. I love hunting elk... they lay over a $180k plus corn circle, they die and I don't care how it happens.

Fact of matter is I have yet to see either side of the drug debate lay up any facts. I wish someone who was involved in the study (not my brothers wife's great uncle who is the #1 biologist in Texas said) publish some good facts. Half life's, drug residue in meat etc.

As of right now the delivry method for warfin is a joke. Might as well use remote trap.

There are some inconsistencies for sure. They say the drug needs to build up in their system over time. And the biological half life is a 40 hour mean. They warn against eating pigs with "blue fat". Sorry, way too much contradiction for me to feel comfortable.

And you're right. I don't farm. But farmers can helo them a LOT more efficiently than most. And played right, the cost can be mitigated by charging for helo "hunts".

Just finished a meal of fried wild pig, and ate smoked wild pig yesterday. Both were killed by my grandkids on their spring break. I find any blue fat in those pigs and sid miller's gonna have more to worry about than re-election.

Either he is as dumb as a box of rox, or kaput is lining his pockets.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 03:57 AM

or kaput is lining his pockets.

money makes the world goes 'round

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 02:42 PM

50yrs of progress, my dad started farming with horses and mules, the big rig was what he had when he died, invest that kind of money, you don't want to see and invasive species destroy your investment

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 04:19 PM

There are some inconsistencies for sure. They say the drug needs to build up in their system over time. And the biological half life is a 40 hour mean. They warn against eating pigs with "blue fat". Sorry, way too much contradiction for me to feel comfortable.

And you're right. I don't farm. But farmers can helo them a LOT more efficiently than most. And played right, the cost can be mitigated by charging for helo "hunts".

Just finished a meal of fried wild pig, and ate smoked wild pig yesterday. Both were killed by my grandkids on their spring break. I find any blue fat in those pigs and sid miller's gonna have more to worry about than re-election.

Either he is as dumb as a box of rox, or kaput is lining his pockets.

Easy, Sid is actually a really good Ag commissioner. We could have another bleeding heart hippy like hightower
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 05:56 PM

You may like his politics/policies and that's fine.

But anybody that follows him for 10 minutes knows he's dumb as a box of rocks.

But, hey, that's "in" these days. Even smart people are acting dumb so they can get elected/keep their seats.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

But, hey, that's "in" these days. Even smart people are acting dumb so they can get elected/keep their seats.

Lots of truth here.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/24/17 07:06 PM

Actually known him for a very long time. Dumb as a box of rocks isn't what I would describe a self made multi millionaire, that isn't even taking in to account what he has done for Texas Ag.

Like I said earlier let's see some of the hard facts posted from the actual Warfarin hog study. So far it's a bunch of perceived ideas.. not facts. Just like posted above...40hour half life but needs to build up over time...to actually l kill a hog... via that info damn near needs to be a feedlot scenario

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/25/17 02:06 PM

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/25/17 02:08 PM

Posted By: 505ed

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/25/17 02:54 PM

But, hey, that's "in" these days. Even smart people are acting dumb so they can get elected/keep their seats. [/quote]

Actually known him for a very long time. Dumb as a box of rocks isn't what I would describe a self made multi millionaire, that isn't even taking in to account what he has done for Texas Ag.

Like I said earlier let's see some of the hard facts posted from the actual Warfarin hog study. So far it's a bunch of perceived ideas.. not facts. Just like posted above...40hour half life but needs to build up over time...to actually l kill a hog... via that info damn near needs to be a feedlot scenario [/quote]

Like I said earlier let's see some of the hard facts posted from the actual Warfarin hog study. So far it's a bunch of perceived ideas.. not facts. Just like posted above...40hour half life but needs to build up over time...to actually l kill a hog... via that info damn near needs to be a feedlot scenario

Well, don't want to get into policies and politics either...I have been around AG all my life, I was raised on a farm and ranch..I have know the last 4 AG commissioners...I have not been impressed this Mr Miller. He might be a multi millionaire, good for him...but don't know if he is quite in tune with the Agriculturist of today...I posted this on another topic, and rather than re type it..I'll copy and paste.

I have been in the pesticide development biz for 20+years.I have worked with warfarin based multi-feed baits for rodent control--and also a lot of other compounds for control.I also own with my brother about 4400 ac we inherited, that he makes a living on that has hogs. That bait is not the solution, it will have palatability problems, and the nature of the bait, the consumption it takes will make it pretty expensive to control--if you have a significant number of hogs(and they eat it--or should say if) problem is food is a choice..and if the other choice is better, the bait does not get consumed. I could go into baits, compounds that might work better--but I'm typing on an IPad and don't feel like it..I guess the one thing I did like what happened, is Sid Miller was shut down...he might be the worst Guy we have had in there for sometime...makes Rick Perry look like a Rhodes scholar.
Posted By: Someone

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/25/17 07:20 PM

It's Warfarin?

Interesting.

it comes from the chemical that gives the "fresh cut grass" smell and it is a common rat poison and for rats it mainly works because they will eat a bunch of rough stuff that scratches up their insides and normally their internals handle that fine, but with the poison they bleed out

with what wild hogs eat I imagine they have a similar issue
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 04:41 AM

I'm not a farmer but this is the way I see it just like when I use rat poison or traps I pick them up and dispose of them and I think farmers should use poison to help get rid of all the hogs but I think they should be put in auburn pile or disposed of safely where other animals can't scavage them
Plus imagine getting to smell bacon everyday!
Also tell neighbors who do hunt personally enjoy eating wild hog but wouldn't want to eat one that's been poisoned

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Jbell99
I'm not a farmer but this is the way I see it just like when I use rat poison or traps I pick them up and dispose of them and I think farmers should use poison to help get rid of all the hogs but I think they should be put in auburn pile or disposed of safely where other animals can't scavage them
Also tell neighbors who do hunt personally enjoy eating wild hog but wouldn't want to eat one that's been poisoned

I don't think burning it is a good idea. Not sure what the resulting combustion compounds are, but breathing it doesn't sound ideal to me.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: 505ed

Well, don't want to get into policies and politics either...I have been around AG all my life, I was raised on a farm and ranch..I have know the last 4 AG commissioners...I have not been impressed this Mr Miller. He might be a multi millionaire, good for him...but don't know if he is quite in tune
I have been in the pesticide development biz for 20+years.I have worked with warfarin based multi-feed baits for rodent control--and also a lot of other compounds for control.I also own with my brother about 4400 ac we inherited, that he makes a living on that has hogs. That bait is not the solution, it will have palatability problems, and the nature of the bait, the consumption it takes will make it pretty expensive to control--if you have a significant number of hogs(and they eat it--or should say if) problem is food is a choice..and if the other choice is better, the bait does not get consumed. I could go into baits, compounds that might work better--but I'm typing on an IPad and don't feel like it..I guess the one thing I did like what happened, is Sid Miller was shut down...he might be the worst Guy we have had in there for sometime...makes Rick Perry look like a Rhodes scholar.

Raised in Ag and own a nice chunk of ground also, I have also been around a lot of the various state and federal AG secs which include some of my own family members... and I like Sid. Like I said earlier the feeding mechanism of it is a joke.

My biggest complaint is alot of opposition with zero facts. Just speculation one way or the other for either side.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Someone

It's Warfarin?

Interesting.

it comes from the chemical that gives the "fresh cut grass" smell and it is a common rat poison and for rats it mainly works because they will eat a bunch of rough stuff that scratches up their insides and normally their internals handle that fine, but with the poison they bleed out

with what wild hogs eat I imagine they have a similar issue

Thank you for the physiological explanation. up

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 505ed

Well, don't want to get into policies and politics either...I have been around AG all my life, I was raised on a farm and ranch..I have know the last 4 AG commissioners...I have not been impressed this Mr Miller. He might be a multi millionaire, good for him...but don't know if he is quite in tune

Raised in Ag and own a nice chunk of ground also, I have also been around a lot of the various state and federal AG secs which include some of my own family members... and I like Sid. Like I said earlier the feeding mechanism of it is a joke.

My biggest complaint is alot of opposition with zero facts. Just speculation one way or the other for either side.

My biggest complaint is the decision was made by one man who didn't think a dam thing through. HE has no facts, just speculation. And he just authorized poisoning a food source based on pure speculation.

Now, you and others can think that's logical, but it don't make it so.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 06:58 PM

I don't think it's logical or illogical because I have yet to see any REAL data. Just speculation.

I'm not biting one way or the other until then. In the mean time I don't have many prairie dogs any more.... still have buzzards and hawks though. wink
Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 07:37 PM

Yes sir we derive 100% of our livelihood from the land. Farming every day.
But oh boy you should try farming when you have Baboons!! realmad
And Bushpig realmad
And Leopard realmad
And Jackal realmad
And Caracal realmad
...I think you get the point.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Jbell99

So how much time every day do you think a farmer who would use this poison should spend searching his property for dead hogs? What about hogs that make it off his property? Are the hogs all supposed to drop dead near roads and such so that they can be easily accessed for disposal? From reading your post, I'm thinking not only are you not a farmer, but you have no experience around a ranch or farm, or with finding dead animals.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 10:59 PM

I don't think it's logical or illogical because I have yet to see any REAL data. Just speculation.

I'm not biting one way or the other until then. In the mean time I don't have many prairie dogs any more.... still have buzzards and hawks though. wink

curious as to how the poison wood affect buzzards which have a bacteria that its okay for them to eat anthrax animals

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 11:06 PM

Yes. You'll have migratory birds even when you poison them...

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/26/17 11:49 PM

This is getting to sound like the program a while back about dropping baits to try to control rabies. If you want to control something get rid of the carriers. But no, you might kill something else. Typical gov. and bleeding heart whatever.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 12:29 AM

This is getting to sound like the program a while back about dropping baits to try to control rabies. If you want to control something get rid of the carriers. But no, you might kill something else. Typical gov. and bleeding heart whatever.

I'm not sure I understand the comparison. You are advocating getting rid of rabies carriers (most small mammals?), and having concerns over introducing poison into our ecosystem without understanding the mechanics of the whole thing is being a bleeding heart?
Posted By: Rustler

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 12:36 AM

I'm against the Kaput/warfarin poison/bait, too much input & hassle for safe use.
Real data is all over, Australia & NZ gave warfarin a try, US testing has been going on for almost a decade, lots of data / LO input.

I'm not against sodium nitrite based poisons for hogs.

I'd prefer not to think that somebody is getting their palm(s) greased or is invested in the Kaput/wafarin deal, sodium nitrate based hog control seems a much better way to go.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 12:51 AM

If pigs can get to the bait, so can deer. At least some of them. Put money on that. There WILL be residuals of all kinds. I've said from the start this whole program is a bad idea for many reasons. Pigs are a big problem, I know and am well versed in the damage they can do..but they are also a food source for MANY Texans, including me and mine. Stupid, expensive idea that will do more harm than good.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 12:58 AM

Yes. You'll have migratory birds even when you poison them...

In my country it wouldn't be hard to find dead ones....by now the panhandle should of killed every hawk, buzzard etc that comes through

But like I said early what's the half life, what percentage of the drug makes it into the meat vs soft organs..etc.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 12:59 AM

If you have a real pig problem then get serious about killing them. It ain't rocket science, lots of options on the table that actually work if you are serious about it. YOU HAVE TO BE SERIOUS ABOUT IT and stick with it!
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 01:03 AM

I think a very low reward system, from the state, would work. Can't run poison with cattle.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
If you have a real pig problem then get serious about killing them. It ain't rocket science, lots of options on the table that actually work if you are serious about it. YOU HAVE TO BE SERIOUS ABOUT IT and stick with it!

So you if a guy has 2800 acres and as been having it commercially trapped for last 8 years. With low years around 400 to highs of 600 hogs a year plus average 40-50 rifle kills. Who does he needs to call because they still there?

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
I think a very low reward system, from the state, would work. Can't run poison with cattle.

Reward right now .20 -.30 a pound !!!!. TAHC approved buying stations all over the state. They even changed they the rules to allow release cut boars on to game ranges. Still got hogs and number is increasing

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 01:18 AM

So you if a guy has 2800 acres and as been having it commercially trapped for last 8 years. With low years around 400 to highs of 600 hogs a year plus average 40-50 rifle kills. Who does he needs to call because they still there?

Probably his neighbors. A guy can do all the control he wants on his place, if places around him aren't actively trying it's hard to make much progress.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 01:23 AM

Probably his neighbors. A guy can do all the control he wants on his place, if places around him aren't actively trying it's hard to make much progress.

Other neighbor does same thing and his is 1100 acres but I don't know his numbers. Other rancher are smaller and most day hunt

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 01:39 AM

I hear you, but problem is low won't attract too many people. High, and somebody is going broke and will stop in no time. If you have a pig problem, then get serious about killing them. This does not mean shoot every pig you see when you're out there, gotta be a lot more committed than that. It takes several visits to said property a week, every week. Nasty weather, windy, ball games, doesn't matter. If you're being paid you show up and do your job no matter.. Traps, snares, dogs, hunting days, hunting nights, and if the LO can afford it helo's. No, you will not kill them all but you will put a hell of a dent in them and crop damage WILL decrease. I work for a man that has over 250,000 acres of corn crop country contracted for feral pig removal. We hammer them on the ground, and the choppers hammer them from the air. There is no ONE solution unless you build pig proof fence. It takes all of us, with all of our tools hitting it. Sometimes pigs are hard to find out there now. That makes us sad because we love to kill them, but makes the LO happy. roflmao Put tools in your box and use them. Poison ain't a tool, it's lazy and a bad idea.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 01:40 AM

Other neighbor does same thing and his is 1100 acres but I don't know his numbers. Other rancher are smaller and most day hunt

Therein lies the problem. 2800 acres has a lot of neighbors. Knowing that 1100 acres is actively controlled means that you know a small minority of the surrounding land has any management. It's a hard problem that I'm not sure there is a solution to.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 02:04 AM

How bout $50.00 a pig with photo emailed to local game warden. He can verify at any time. False submission will result in class a felony. Then you will see people coming out of the woods hunting them. Not just the rich guys with Huey helicopters.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 02:10 AM

How bout $50.00 a pig with photo emailed to local game warden. He can verify at any time. False submission will result in class a felony. Then you will see people coming out of the woods hunting them. Not just the rich guys with Huey helicopters.

No. Choppers are the answer.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 02:14 AM

Do the have them at TSC; if not I'm going to have to get a drone and shoot poison Asian Voodo darts into their butts.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 02:25 AM

Therein lies the problem. 2800 acres has a lot of neighbors. Knowing that 1100 acres is actively controlled means that you know a small minority of the surrounding land has any management. It's a hard problem that I'm not sure there is a solution to.

Yes and no, llano river blocks one side. Point still is commercial trapping isn't stopping them or overly controlling either.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 02:30 AM

No its not, it's just another tool, its greatly limited by acreage and foliage. Also just like trapping...better get them all first time.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 02:48 AM

Yes and no, llano river blocks one side. Point still is commercial trapping isn't stopping them or overly controlling either.

It's the Llano River, not the pacific ocean, I've seen hogs bail off in the Brazos, and make it out the other side. Those hogs on the other side of the river today are still your hogs.

Commercial trapping isn't widespread enough to mitigate them. Just like the poisoning won't be either. If your neighbors won't allow someone else to do all the work for them by allowing trapping or other control measures, they why in the world would they expend the effort to create bait stations for the poison?

The poison won't be a magic bullet for the same reason trapping doesn't work, not enough people are serious about getting rid of them.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 02:58 AM

It's the Llano River, not the pacific ocean, I've seen hogs bail off in the Brazos, and make it out the other side. Those hogs on the other side of the river today are still your hogs.

Commercial trapping isn't widespread enough to mitigate them. Just like the poisoning won't be either. If your neighbors won't allow someone else to do all the work for them by allowing trapping or other control measures, they why in the world would they expend the effort to create bait stations for the poison?

The poison won't be a magic bullet for the same reason trapping doesn't work, not enough people are serious about getting rid of them.

How do you know it's not a cliff?

More options means more dead hogs. Fact of the matter is trapping, hunting and Arial aren't eradicating nor controlling as it was currently elluded to on this thread. Not disagreeing on the poison because of how it's being distributed, might as well use trap. With that said, not one person has posted any facts on half life, percentage of intake will make it to the meat etc.....

It's going to wreck the environment but no one knows how..

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 03:12 AM

How do you know it's not a cliff?

More options means more dead hogs. Fact of the matter is trapping, hunting and Arial aren't eradicating nor controlling as it was currently elluded to on this thread. Not disagreeing on the poison because of how it's being distributed, might as well use trap. With that said, not one person has posted any facts on half life, percentage of intake will make it to the meat etc.....

It's going to wreck the environment but no one knows how..

I suppose I don't know if there's a cliff, but if it borders a whole side of 2800 acres, and with my experiences in the region, and with other rivers in Texas, I feel confident that hogs cross it, and that you are being silly on the point.

I think you might be surprised at some local success that mitigation efforts can have, and some of those have been alluded to, but on the whole, you are correct, for the reasons I've already listed statewide control isn't a thing. I believe for the same reasons the effects of poisoning efforts are likely to be vastly less than many hope.

I've never personally said that I think this will wreck the environment, I just have concerns that things like this often have unintended consequences (even trapping does). For me, and my place, with my current level of hog problems, I'd prefer to see how it works for somebody else first.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 03:24 AM

Rockin I'm messing with you on the cliff smile. I have seen travel studies that have showed 18 miles a month in drought years. So 8 miles is nothings.

Yes you are 100% right I can only account for numbers removed on 3900 acres, but that control shows that even on semi large acreage trapping, hunting and arial aren't eliminating or dramatically controlling numbers.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 04:14 AM

Seriously, does anyone here think you don't have to be at least temporarily insane to believe that poison would pass muster?
Posted By: rifleman

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 11:53 AM

It'd make for an interesting squirrel hunt is about all in our hood.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 12:19 PM

The is no way in the world that hog numbers will ever decrease. It is too late. Even on this forum you hear from folks that want them on their lease. There are too many land owners that do nothing to solve the problem. A bounty system will not work. There are too many and not enough money for it. Plus all the people that would need to be hired to run it. If I did nothing I would have them running around here like rats. The neighbors have plenty but they do nothing. I shoot, snare and try to keep the fences in good shape. Snares are one of the best tools for catching hogs.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 02:59 PM

One way that would help would be to start a contest like the west Texas big bobcat contest (or the jackrabbit or coyote contests). It would have to be based on total number of pigs and unlimited on size. You could have categories on method of kill but that's all.

There would be semi loads of dead pigs show up. That cat contest has severely reduced the number of yotes and foxes on many ranches. The money is so good you have hunters "protecting" a few pocket ranches that they can still find big cats and enough yotes and foxes on.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 03:12 PM

How about tons of giant alligators everywhere?

It's almost too easy...

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 03:17 PM

The is no way in the world that hog numbers will ever decrease. It is too late. Even on this forum you hear from folks that want them on their lease. There are too many land owners that do nothing to solve the problem. A bounty system will not work. There are too many and not enough money for it. Plus all the people that would need to be hired to run it. If I did nothing I would have them running around here like rats. The neighbors have plenty but they do nothing. I shoot, snare and try to keep the fences in good shape. Snares are one of the best tools for catching hogs.
+1. people that want them on their lease are either selling hunts or want the fun of shooting, have no regard for the destruction & disease they bring.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 03:59 PM

Fact of the matter is trapping, hunting and Arial aren't eradicating nor controlling as it was currently elluded to on this thread.

OK, what do I know...
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 04:05 PM

I know not every pig could be picked up that would take too much time but I mean while out working the property if you see them pick them up I know lots of people who shoot hogs and just leave them

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 04:09 PM

+1. people that want them on their lease are either selling hunts or want the fun of shooting, have no regard for the destruction & disease they bring.

Or, they just really like to eat them. Every single person on our place in Duval would rather eat pigs vs deer. Our neighbors are the same way. We feed our families with them. Yes, they are destructive but we deal with that. As far as disease, that's a non-issue.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 06:06 PM

You all complaining about people not taking their responsibility of hog eradication seriously need to sit back and realize that probably half of the texas countryside is owned by city dwellers who don't live on the land, and the number is likely more than half. So you gonna argue that you can't own land unless you take eradication of hogs seriously and pay more money for professional hog killers to come on your property while you aren't there and "take care" of the hogs...as if that even works.

Guys, there is a hog issue, some people see it as a problem some people see it as an opportunity, some people see it as a fun time. The real problem lies in the fact that there are people on here trying to tell other people what they need to do on their land. NO, this isn't Russia where someone can tell you what to do. Its the USA. We are free to run our land the way we want, and if that involves using the "pig problem" as a commercial venture then so be it, if it means using it for fun hobby then so be it, if it means trying to be a farmer and having to deal with the hog issue then so be it. Each profession has financial responsibilities and that just happens to be one of yours that you can't force everyone else to conform to.

Would be like me saying I don't want to pay for the cost of my medical liability insurance so everyone needs to do exactly what I say when it comes to healthcare and not sue me when you get sick...lets see how that goes for two seconds...anyone smoke or drink or overweight on this forum?

Catch my drift? flag
Posted By: jcav

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 08:09 PM

They did some of the trials for Warfarin on our hunting lease in the southern panhandle last year. We have not seen any problems with cattle or deer, to us the biggest problem was them coming through everyday for 6 months. They were trapping hogs and fitting them with GPS devices to track their movements, farthest one went from lakeview to estelline and back every week.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/27/17 09:43 PM

In the early 1950s during the drought the jackrabbits were the problem. The landowners got together and had rabbit drives. Part of them would gather at one end of pasture with loaded shotguns and clubs. The others would line up and literally drive the jacks towards the others. This would go on for an entire weekend, covering literally dozens of pastures by just one groups of the landowners and their relatives and friends.

After you ran out of rabbits you went along with your club and killed any that were still moving or crying. Then basically left them were they laid, the coyotes had a lot of feasts that summer without any work. But then occasionally a coyote made a mistake and became a part of the shoot, as did a few bobcats.

This was the only solution the farmers and ranchers had of getting rid of the jacks, they were literally eating up the pastures so that the cattle were having to be fed.

Grain acreage was being demolished by the same jacks. At night, they would gather in pickups and night hunt the jacks in the grain fields. It was nothing to see 5 or more pickups with 3 or more shooters in each chasing jacks around the fields.

It worked on jackrabbit population, maybe it would work on the feral hog population.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/28/17 03:35 AM

Fact of the matter is trapping, hunting and Arial aren't eradicating nor controlling as it was currently elluded to on this thread.

OK, what do I know...

Not inferring you don't just stating that I have 9 years worth of trapping data and hunting data that's states that if you are trapping 400 a year three years into a four year drought...you aren't controlling. That's one hog per 7 acres that's higher then the Deer density.

I just wonder at what point they hit max CC.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/28/17 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
In the early 1950s during the drought the jackrabbits were the problem. The landowners got together and had rabbit drives. Part of them would gather at one end of pasture with loaded shotguns and clubs. The others would line up and literally drive the jacks towards the others. This would go on for an entire weekend, covering literally dozens of pastures by just one groups of the landowners and their relatives and friends.

After you ran out of rabbits you went along with your club and killed any that were still moving or crying. Then basically left them were they laid, the coyotes had a lot of feasts that summer without any work. But then occasionally a coyote made a mistake and became a part of the shoot, as did a few bobcats.

This was the only solution the farmers and ranchers had of getting rid of the jacks, they were literally eating up the pastures so that the cattle were having to be fed.

Grain acreage was being demolished by the same jacks. At night, they would gather in pickups and night hunt the jacks in the grain fields. It was nothing to see 5 or more pickups with 3 or more shooters in each chasing jacks around the fields.

It worked on jackrabbit population, maybe it would work on the feral hog population.

I believe that would work pretty good. Problem is you'd have trouble lining up folks to do that in today's world.

Choppers are as efficient and requires fewer folks. Just more dinero. The good thing is the cost can be offset by selling the "hunts".

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/28/17 03:36 PM

And you aint bout to walk in a line for more than 20yrds of woods were im at... choppers cant even see the pigs from above if they stay in the bed and wait for dark.. also other than wide open counties a lot of east tx places were properties are split up into 20-60acrs for most the county your not about to do anything with a helicopter safely/legally and make a dent in the population

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/29/17 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
And you aint bout to walk in a line for more than 20yrds of woods were im at... choppers cant even see the pigs from above if they stay in the bed and wait for dark.. also other than wide open counties a lot of east tx places were properties are split up into 20-60acrs for most the county your not about to do anything with a helicopter safely/legally and make a dent in the population

Even more reason poison is an idiot idea. You know a lot of folks in fragmented areas ain't gonna get the memo not to eat the pigs. How many stroke death lawsuits would it take to make the state realize just how ignorant poisoning a food source is?

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/29/17 02:07 PM

One way that would help would be to start a contest like the west Texas big bobcat contest (or the jackrabbit or coyote contests). It would have to be based on total number of pigs and unlimited on size. You could have categories on method of kill but that's all.

There would be semi loads of dead pigs show up. That cat contest has severely reduced the number of yotes and foxes on many ranches. The money is so good you have hunters "protecting" a few pocket ranches that they can still find big cats and enough yotes and foxes on.

There have been hog hunting tournaments for a long time now. Never seen a semi-load, but I've seen some 28 foot gooseneck loads.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/29/17 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
You all complaining about people not taking their responsibility of hog eradication seriously need to sit back and realize that probably half of the texas countryside is owned by city dwellers who don't live on the land, and the number is likely more than half. So you gonna argue that you can't own land unless you take eradication of hogs seriously and pay more money for professional hog killers to come on your property while you aren't there and "take care" of the hogs...as if that even works.

Guys, there is a hog issue, some people see it as a problem some people see it as an opportunity, some people see it as a fun time. The real problem lies in the fact that there are people on here trying to tell other people what they need to do on their land. NO, this isn't Russia where someone can tell you what to do. Its the USA. We are free to run our land the way we want, and if that involves using the "pig problem" as a commercial venture then so be it, if it means using it for fun hobby then so be it, if it means trying to be a farmer and having to deal with the hog issue then so be it. Each profession has financial responsibilities and that just happens to be one of yours that you can't force everyone else to conform to.

Would be like me saying I don't want to pay for the cost of my medical liability insurance so everyone needs to do exactly what I say when it comes to healthcare and not sue me when you get sick...lets see how that goes for two seconds...anyone smoke or drink or overweight on this forum?

Catch my drift? flag

Don't think I've seen anyone trying to tell anyone what to do with their land, just stated the simple fact that as long as there are large areas of sanctuary from control, none of these control methods, including poison, are going to be particularly effective.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/29/17 03:51 PM

There have been hog hunting tournaments for a long time now. Never seen a semi-load, but I've seen some 28 foot gooseneck loads.

Seen any that only cost 50 bucks a person for 4 man teams and pay off with ~$45,000 for first, ~$30,000 for second, and ~$20,000 for third? That's what the cat contest pays.

I think pig hunts could actually pay off MUCH more than that. County org sponsorship would help.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/29/17 05:00 PM

Yeah, I've been hunting the big cat for a good while now, I'm pretty straight on what it pays. It's format is what attracts so many teams. Guys don't have to have access to 50k acres to win it. Hard to get the same from a hog hunting contest, guys with big places are always going to win those.

But to answer your question, no, I've never seen a hog tournament pay what WTBBC pays, but I've not seen anything else that does either. There are some that pay pretty good though.

I also have to say that I think you may overestimate the impact WTBBC is having on predator populations. I hunt a bunch of tournaments, not just WTBBC, and haven't seen much difference year over year in the number of animals I call on my places. The overall numbers seen at weigh-ins don't seem to be declining either.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/29/17 05:56 PM

Like I aid before, hogs are like coyotes. The day of eradicating them is long gone. Back 30 or so years ago when you could use 1080 in collars and in baits that did not lower the coyote population. You could kill every hog off a 1000 acres but if the neighbors did nothing you would still have a butt load of hogs the next day. The only thing you can do is try to keep them off your place. That means having good net wire fences to start. Then you have to patrol it and put a snare in every hole they make under it. Take out every hog you catch and replace the snare. Shoot every one you see. Mothers ,fathers and all the babies. Do this and you will not solve the problem but will lessen it some.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/29/17 06:10 PM

Like I aid before, hogs are like coyotes. The day of eradicating them is long gone. Back 30 or so years ago when you could use 1080 in collars and in baits that did not lower the coyote population. You could kill every hog off a 1000 acres but if the neighbors did nothing you would still have a butt load of hogs the next day. The only thing you can do is try to keep them off your place. That means having good net wire fences to start. Then you have to patrol it and put a snare in every hole they make under it. Take out every hog you catch and replace the snare. Shoot every one you see. Mothers ,fathers and all the babies. Do this and you will not solve the problem but will lessen it some.

Agreed.

I'm about to go Blitzkrieg with snares. Hogs come onto my place in the dark. They must know I always have a rifle and range finder near me in the daylight.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/29/17 08:34 PM

Where I hunt, coyotes have not been eradicated, but I've yet to see a single one. Never seen any sign nor heard a single howl. The sheep ranchers are absolute hell on coyotes, and it's had an impressive effect on them. The properties are in large tracts, which makes a big difference, but the ranchers take the issue very seriously, and it works.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/29/17 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Where I hunt, coyotes have not been eradicated, but I've yet to see a single one. Never seen any sign nor heard a single howl. The sheep ranchers are absolute hell on coyotes, and it's had an impressive effect on them. The properties are in large tracts, which makes a big difference, but the ranchers take the issue very seriously, and it works.
They are not eradicated here either. I have not seen a sign of one in probably 6 months. But when you do you usually find a dead animal of some kind. Hopefully it is a WT or something not expensive. But what ever it is you start trying to find out where it got through the fence. Then you do what you have to do so it doesn't happen again until the next one.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/30/17 05:16 PM

I've read tales of ranchers that if one saw a coyote neighbors phones began ringing. Then it was like a wildland fire, everyone drop what your doing and come help. Yeah, they take it serious where you hunt. Lots of sheep roaming around.

And because of what they've done, that country has deer like fleas on a dogs back.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/31/17 01:22 PM

I've read tales of ranchers that if one saw a coyote neighbors phones began ringing. Then it was like a wildland fire, everyone drop what your doing and come help. Yeah, they take it serious where you hunt. Lots of sheep roaming around.

And because of what they've done, that country has deer like fleas on a dogs back.
right on. it will take farmers, ranchers & all other land owner to take the problem head on, be hunting, trapping ect, BUT face it that will never happen, 80% of the time when I approach a land owner about coyotes (explaining how coyote affect fawn population) I get the same answer "I don't have a problem with coyotes"

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/31/17 03:19 PM

right on. it will take farmers, ranchers & all other land owner to take the problem head on, be hunting, trapping ect, BUT face it that will never happen, 80% of the time when I approach a land owner about coyotes (explaining how coyote affect fawn population) I get the same answer "I don't have a problem with coyotes"

In sheep country, where almost everyone is farming/ranching sheep, coyotes are a problem. In grain country, coyotes keep the rabbits in check so they aren't a problem and coyotes don't mess with the grain, so no problem. Perspective right?

With hogs, not everyone sees hogs as problem, so you will never get a consensus on hogs. Unless you are in an area which does mostly farming (grains, cotton, corn, etc) or golf courses you won't see a consensus about hogs being a problem and a concerted effort to get rid of them by neighbors. In most of texas where ranchettes and hunters own land, hogs are an opportunity for financial gain and/or a fun animal to shoot or a good animal to eat. For the majority of Texans, hogs are not a financial issue. Its all about perspective.

And that's the problem, you can't dictate someone's perspective on things, including how to deal with hogs (not saying you are).
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 03/31/17 04:20 PM

I've read tales of ranchers that if one saw a hog neighbors phones began ringing. Then it was like a wildland fire, everyone drop what your doing and come help. Yeah, they take it serious where you hunt. Lots of sheep roaming around.

right on. it will take farmers, ranchers & all other land owner to take the problem head on, be hunting, trapping ect, BUT face it that will never happen, 80% of the time when I approach a land owner about hogs (explaining how hogs affect fawn population) I get the same answer "I don't have a problem with hogs"

FIFY... We had very little hog problems, seen more deer than hogs due to the 24-7-365 hunting pressure, & after 25+ years it went ta 4 deer county... Did my hog hunting on WMA land, they had regulations, no baiting, no night hunts, archery during deer hunts, muzzleloader, rim fire, & shotgun during squirrel, & the 3 months hog any legal means, think they added archery hog year round... Limited hunt & regulations made WMA land a hotspot for hogs, Most movement done at night... [/i] Fireman [/i] put up some cheap cellular lights down range, my cheap scope can pick up hogs off the light, or NV or thermal hunt at night... Am sure ya have plenty of friends willing ta help flag

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/11/17 11:03 AM

is the bait thing not going happen or what?

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/11/17 01:05 PM

Shooting them is like farting in the wind. So far, this is the only way to get a handle on them at my place. There were 36 in the trap counting the footballs - that boar weighed 310 lbs and had big cutters. Total luck to catch him with that sounder as they usually are loners - one of those sows must have been in heat. If the poison works with no "side effects" on other animals, I will sure use it. I'll let others go first though.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/11/17 02:17 PM

Traps help. I'll be building one shortly. Some hogs get "trap smart", though. I've also got some snares ordered to line the fences with. All those measures, plus shooting, and I think I will still have hogs.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/11/17 03:03 PM

Fortunately, caught a total of 78 up and down the creek on mine and neighbor's place. Key is to be patient, watch the traps remotely, and wait until the whole pod is inside before dropping the gate. The pros like the guy who set this one have it down pat. You don't want to leave any remnants of the sounder for breeding or any "trap smart" pigs if you can help it. He watched it for 3 days/nights before the whole sounder was in it at once. Trapping doesn't solve the problems but it does make a noticeable difference if done right.

I wish I had been thinking, I would have just paid him what he got for that big boar just to have his head. I have never killed one that big and don't think I have even seen one that big on the place. hammer

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 12:26 PM

just read a post in the photo link, op say wish he had pigs to shoot on his new lease, this is why the problem will not be fixed. duel

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 12:41 PM

just read a post in the photo link, op say wish he had pigs to shoot on his new lease, this is why the problem will not be fixed. duel

Exactly. I've had guys turn down my big lake ranch because it's pig free.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 12:46 PM

That blows my mind. That's a God send.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 12:50 PM

Yep. However one feels about pigs, that's why they got started, are everywhere, and won't go away. Many non-landowners don't care about the havoc they wreak, they just want something to shoot year round.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 12:58 PM

Yep. However one feels about pigs, that's why they got started, are everywhere, and won't go away. Many non-landowners don't care about the havoc they wreak, they just want something to shoot year round.

Yep, and it may blow bobo's mind but it's true.

Brings up a good question though. I wonder how many places in Texas are pig free?

And IMO since there are pigs totally surrounding the big lake area, how does one explain the fact that there are none in that area?? I know exactly why, but I'll listen to theories. Maybe should start another thread.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 01:00 PM

I don't know. They've been over here so long it's hard to imagine a "pig free" zone.
Posted By: PMK

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 01:15 PM

I still recall back in the late '60s to early '70s, the ranch foreman of a large (13+k acre) ranch in my home county contacting my dad to see if he and his boys (my brother and I) would be interested in coming out to reduce the feral hog population as they were getting aggressive and killing calves. We went out during a cold front and started driving the pasture, shooting from the bed of a pickup, took out 27 if memory serves me, grown 150-300+ lb pigs in one day. Then spent the rest of the evening & night gutting, skinning and quartering hogs, then gave pork to all our neighbors and friends that was more than would fill our freezers. Had a lot of sausage making parties too. He would call us about every 6-9 months afterwards for the next couple of years to come out to take some more. This was before most places had issues or trapping wasn't even dreamed up that we had heard of. We would keep them in check but you never can get them all. I learned to hate feral hogs during my early years due to these encounters but mainly due to the amount of work after you put a bunch on the ground, dad wasn't for letting anything go to waste.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 01:45 PM

Brings up a good question though. I wonder how many places in Texas are pig free?

And IMO since there are pigs totally surrounding the big lake area, how does one explain the fact that there are none in that area?? I know exactly why, but I'll listen to theories . Maybe should start another thread.

As pappy said: three types of hunters upper, middle, & lower class ... Can only speak for myself... As a low class hunter, non-landowner, when leasing, its about affordability...
cheers Agree, that should be in different thread.... Mine go missing, i got cheap posts..

Edit: rofl No, colt.45 not dueling with himself... For those who might be confused2 It happens flag

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 01:51 PM

Hogs and the AR/tacticool deal are joined at the hip. Errbody's got to have them an AR to murderize all those packs of bloodthirsty pigs - which errbody can hunt all year round. And burn a lot of ammo in the process. Like paintball with real bullets. smile

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 02:15 PM

And IMO since there are pigs totally surrounding the big lake area, how does one explain the fact that there are none in that area?? I know exactly why, but I'll listen to theories. Maybe should start another thread.

None in Sanderson, TX..........yet.

Northern end of the Chihuahuan Desert, is why there's none there, it's hard country. But I have no doubt they can migrate south to there one day.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 02:17 PM

Yes it is. I wish I didn't have hogs, or hog sign. I wish I didn't have to set snares, and build a trap. Hog free would be perfect, but I'll never happen in Fannin County. It's a hog haven, they've got everything they need.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 02:32 PM

[/quote] None in Sanderson, TX..........yet.

Northern end of the Chihuahuan Desert, is why there's none there, it's hard country. But I have no doubt they can migrate south to there one day. [/quote]

My in-laws are starting to get them on their place northeast of Dryden. It had only been Javi's the previous 25 years owning the place.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 02:58 PM

Blows my mind, on each of those, pig free but more so people passing on a lease because it is pig free. One does not simply have a "few" pigs......

Why would any one who hunts deer....want pigs.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 03:01 PM

Oh no idea why you don't not have pigs unless it's a water via trough thing where piglets can't get to it.

Or one hell of a fence and superb built water gaps
Posted By: Curtis

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 03:21 PM

Yes it is. I wish I didn't have hogs, or hog sign. I wish I didn't have to set snares, and build a trap. Hog free would be perfect, but I'll never happen in Fannin County. It's a hog haven, they've got everything they need.

We don't have them on our place. The neighbors around us do. I have lost business before because we didn't have a hog or two to "throw in for free" or a fee for less than what my time is worth.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 03:26 PM

thats the last thing I would want to see on a paid for hunt.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232

None in Sanderson, TX..........yet.

Northern end of the Chihuahuan Desert, is why there's none there, it's hard country. But I have no doubt they can migrate south to there one day. [/quote]

My in-laws are starting to get them on their place northeast of Dryden. It had only been Javi's the previous 25 years owning the place.
[/quote]

I know exactly where Dryden is, not too far from Sanderson. I was talking with the owner of the ranch in December. He said they haven't made it there yet. And I said, it sure could happen. His answer was "well, you boys just need to come back more often, and do some killing."

Yessir, was my reply.

As Bobo said, on our ranch, the water that is there year round is too tall for hogs to reach, but when it rains there's header tanks that hold lots of water, that takes a long time to evaporate.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 04:58 PM

Maybe you should. I don't really care to hear 'ideas' that you know to be incorrect. Let's here exactly why that is...maybe we could all learn something.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 08:16 PM

I'd like to think this chart is incorrect, but my feeling is...it probably DOES reflect a 'presence' of feral hogs in most of the counties cited.

I don't know if the information was gathered from 'reported sightings' or Confirmed/Verified sightings, but its a pretty grim situation if true.

Prior to the late 70's (in Texas) I can remember only seeing hogs in East/Deep East Texas, South Texas and few small areas in Central Texas (Volente on Lake Travis for example).

I am not against providing new 'tools' with which to combat the hog population, but I am unconvinced (at present) that Warfarin AND the delivery system are good solutions.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 08:41 PM

I think the USDA isn't 100% correct on that chart, but probably pretty close to the truth.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/12/17 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
I still recall back in the late '60s to early '70s, the ranch foreman of a large (13+k acre) ranch in my home county contacting my dad to see if he and his boys (my brother and I) would be interested in coming out to reduce the feral hog population as they were getting aggressive and killing calves. We went out during a cold front and started driving the pasture, shooting from the bed of a pickup, took out 27 if memory serves me, grown 150-300+ lb pigs in one day. Then spent the rest of the evening & night gutting, skinning and quartering hogs, then gave pork to all our neighbors and friends that was more than would fill our freezers. Had a lot of sausage making parties too. He would call us about every 6-9 months afterwards for the next couple of years to come out to take some more. This was before most places had issues or trapping wasn't even dreamed up that we had heard of. We would keep them in check but you never can get them all. I learned to hate feral hogs during my early years due to these encounters but mainly due to the amount of work after you put a bunch on the ground, dad wasn't for letting anything go to waste.
I have heard of south Texas ranchers keeping their mares (about to foal) up in hog proof pens at night to keep the hogs off foals
Posted By: Bravo Foxtrot

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/25/17 07:44 PM

I was just browsing the net and found this. So if this does become available to ranchers, will this impact the ranchers that derive their income from guided hog hunts?

Relating to the study and approval of lethal pesticides for feral hog control.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB3451
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/25/17 08:03 PM

We spoke with the county extension agent here about the new feral hog poison bait. From what he told us, it has to be in a trap that prevents other animals from getting in and the pig has to go int the trap and be caught to eat it. So, pretty much worthless to us as the pigs here are not going into the traps that's why we are looking into other methods.

I used to not want to waste anything and would process the pigs after killing them but now I just shoot any I see and unless I know someone who wants them and will come out to collect them from the field then they just get left for the buzzards and yotes.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 06:37 AM

Sanity prevails.

http://www.statesman.com/news/controvers...nXnZC6cFOGwGTO/

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 01:00 PM

As pappy once said: Its not about the big bucks, landowners working with hunters is the solution ... flag

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 01:05 PM

That's not sanity..that's lawyers telling them, there is a bunch of socialist, eco terrorist, invasive pig loving hippies in Texas that while sue when they find the first non targeted species killed including flies.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45

As pappy once said: Its not about the big bucks, landowners working with hunters is the solution ... flag

I needed a good laugh show me one ranch that has eliminated hogs via hunting

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 01:40 PM

Are the losses to hogs sufficient to justify fencing crops with panels?
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 01:55 PM

What we need is something we can till into the soil that the pigs don't like but wont hurt the soil/plant life. Seems like something like that would be possible.

There you go, million dollar idea for the taking. someone hop to it.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Just a wire panel comparison

8' deer fence-.69 a ft
Hog panel- 2.47 a ft

So ya it's 3.5x more then a high fence just via wire.

So HF is $4.5-5ft. Hog would be $15.75... so $83,169 a mile or $332,640 a section

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 02:21 PM

There was a poster on here I believe it was T-bar put panel fencing up at his place and argued it cost little more than traditional fencing.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 02:23 PM

There was a poster on here I believe it was T-bar put panel fencing up at his place and argued it cost little more than traditional fencing.

Maybe but labor alone will be triple.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 02:54 PM

rofl cheers we all can use a good laugh from time to time... i realty did get D- in grammar... Mods, pm're bout all the complaints... So been doing best, slow down, its a constant duel with spell check... Lots of threads get locked down, when discussions don't go some peoples way...
HF vs LF, stands along fence line, baiting, big bucks & culling, just to name a few...
My pots, simple statement... Look at flintnappers map... Lived in texas 30+ years, all i had for deer rifle was my .45 Kentucky, deer lease were $200.00 a year for 1 buck county... For that price can by alot of hamburger... Only reason got on lease was it had hogs & 24-7-365 hunting... Was also family time, camping... Was on several other leases, different counties, NO sign of hogs... When OSBWMA opened up to public for hunting, it was cheaper, no baiting, less gas...
The old atv trails, it was a hunting lease, were torn up with hog sign both side of trails...
My archery hunts were orchestra up in my climber, off away from trails, at edges of thick brush, close ta little reviens, all torn up... Seen very few hogs, could see them time to time moving threw brush, & at times hear em in distance... Only time ever got in now range was easing twards them... The talk grass made tough shots.... Lots of hours in stand, work hours, allowed daily hunts...

It was the hog only general & my wall-a-bouts way back in that seen the big hog groups, do ya hunting pressure... Been known ya crawl threw thick brush, even after wounded hogs, reason was called, caveman, & always told hog gonna get you...
On WMA no night hunts, so most damage done at night... As people started getting turned doesn't landowners for hog hunts, seen more hunters... AK's first, then later AR's, hog numbers dropped.... i complain bout me alien body parts, but with pride .... Landowners don't realize the high price if hunting... Why i say, threw types of hunters... that's different topic...
i got cheap posts... flag
Posted By: Stub

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 03:27 PM

Just called Tractor Supply in Jacksboro, 16' hog panels are $21.99 each, of course you have T-Post and clips or wire to that.

Hog panels are 16' long 34.5" high. $22.00/16' = $1.38 per foot. Plus T post at $3.70 per post X 2 = &7.40 + lets say $.60 of wire per panel.

$22.00 (panel) + $7.40 (2 T Post) + $ .60 wire = $30.00 per panel. $30.00/16' = $1.88 per foot up

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 03:33 PM

Place we used to lease was overrun with hogs. There were 5 hunters on 700-800 acres. We all ran penned feeders, had 4 hog traps and too many snares to count in the fence lines. All hogs were shot on sight. Hunting and trapping did next to nothing for the numbers the snares were a game changer. We were able to get the numbers down to virtually nonexistent but that was with a person on the property that lived there and checked traps/snares daily or every other day. Took traps and snares up and problems came back quickly.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Just called Tractor Supply in Jacksboro, 16' hog panels are $21.99 each, of course you have T-Post and clips or wire to that.

...and their 16'x50" feeder lot panels are $19.49 + posts.

However it's still not practical to fence farms. We would need 27+ miles of fence...

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 03:43 PM

8' deer fence-.69 a ft
Hog panel- 2.47 a ft

So HF is $4.5-5ft. Hog would be $15.75... so $83,169 a mile or $332,640 a section
I am not sure where you got your pricing but here 8' stay tuff is 1.14 per ft. 4'X 20' X 4" panels are 1.73 per ft. And I have put up both and the Panels are not that bad. And I am 70 years old.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 04:08 PM

Kind of what I thought Don, but people with all the answers typically make up the numbers so the results are what they want.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 04:29 PM

This ones for BOBO rofl ...

peep :
rumor has it - Pres. Trump is gonna make China pay for it... bolt flag
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 04:30 PM

I am fortunate in that I don't have a terrible hog problem on my place, although I do get a couple every month or two that will show up on cameras. In the 2.5 years we've owned, I have yet to see one while I am out with a rifle, and feel blessed.

The baiting/poison talk has quieted a bit, but something that hasn't been mentioned is the problem in suburban areas. I've heard and read of instances where hogs have migrated into West Fort Worth, Southlake, Grapevine, etc. here in the metromess. Guessing the same is true for areas around other cities like Austin, SA, and Houston. Think of the press when Ms. Soccer Mom walks out her billion dollar mansion in Southlake and finds a dead, poisoned hog lying stinking in the driveway. So we can talk about the challenges of eradication on large ranches/farms, and small, but that doesn't solve the problem if they are still hanging out in other areas - the approach has to be holistic to work.

Was talking to a buddy of mine that has a sizeable place in central Oklahoma. He mentioned that last year, their governor, had signed an emergency order allowing Game Managers to hunt hogs from helicopters. My buddy said he had never had a problem with hogs on his place, and had only seen a handful over the years up to hunting season of 2016, but then all heck broke loose over this past winter. He went from seeing none, to seeing hundreds, he said, almost over night. He requested the state perform a helicopter hunt on one of his parcels - 320 acres - earlier this month, and they shot 60 in a single day. NOT GOOD!

Something is going to have to be done, and our politicians, universities, and wildlife management folks better figure it out sooner, rather than later. The problem is getting worse by the day, and if we haven't hit the point of no return already, it is quickly approaching.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 04:31 PM

That's what everyone in the surrounding counties have had to do here... game proof fence along thousands of acres pushing the hogs closer and closer together... they eventually just stop using certain openings knowing there just a bit a land in between

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 04:42 PM

Kind of what I thought Don, but people with all the answers typically make up the numbers so the results are what they want.

Sorry math was backward. Like I would make up a decimal.......

Hog panels depending on gage are 1.5-2.47a ft

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 05:09 PM

8' deer fence-.69 a ft
Hog panel- 2.47 a ft

I am not sure where you got your pricing but here 8' stay tuff is 1.14 per ft. 4'X 20' X 4" panels are 1.73 per ft. And I have put up both and the Panels are not that bad. And I am 70 years old.

Not that bad is relative to distance. Half mile sure no problem...6 miles umm. 81 miles that's going to add a lot of days.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 08:41 PM

There are no pigs in big lake. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. They kill everyone that comes near with helicopters. There are pigs in every surrounding county.

That's not one ranch. That's an entire county. Sorry to bust your Sid miller lovin bubble. But that's a LOT better and more efficient than poisoning a food source.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 08:42 PM

There are no pigs in big lake. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. They kill everyone that comes near with helicopters. There are pigs in every surrounding county.

That's not one ranch. That's an entire county. Sorry to bust your Sid miller lovin bubble. But that's a LOT better and more efficient than poisoning a food source.

NE corner of Reagan has some and along west side of Irion. I would agree that aerial in a county like Reagan where they are easier to see from the air makes them an easy target for sure.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 08:50 PM

Yeah I've heard that too. But it's mostly just from folks who want to get the choppers going. Never met anyone in Reagan that's seen one.

IMO that is few enough to say they don't exist.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 09:01 PM

Yeah I've heard that too. But it's mostly just from folks who want to get the choppers going. Never met anyone in Reagan that's seen one.

Yall don't feed enough over there so they mostly stay on the Irion county side ! grin

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: txbobcat

Yall don't feed enough over there so they mostly stay on the Irion county side ! grin

We dang sure ain't gonna feed'em poison!!

woot

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 09:13 PM

We dang sure ain't gonna feed'em poison!!

woot

Lead poison

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/26/17 11:12 PM

It's 20" a year annual rain fall. 5 less inches and that country looks like Roswell NM.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:01 AM

Explain why there are pigs 3 counties west of there then. You lose this one.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:08 AM

Explain why there aren't pigs 3 counties east? It isn't because of hunting or helicopters.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Explain why there aren't pigs 3 counties east? It isn't because of hunting or helicopters.

There are pigs 3 counties east. Bobo's point was that the climate in big lake is too dry for pigs. I just made sure he knew he was wrong. As are you.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:27 AM

There are pigs 3 counties east. Bobo's point was that the climate in big lake is too dry for pigs. I just made sure he knew he was wrong. As are you.

Just like Reagan county, you can find some hogs (mainly north of the river) but been there 24 years and haven't seen one, our rancher hasn't seen one, the next rancher over hasn't seen one, the rancher 7 miles south hasn't seen one, the rancher 4 miles north hasn't seen one, the rancher 9 miles west hasn't seen one...but your right, I'm probably wrong.

Just like around Big Lake, helicopters and hunters must have been the reason they aren't there rofl

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:50 AM

Just like Reagan county, you can find some hogs (mainly north of the river) but been there 24 years and haven't seen one, our rancher hasn't seen one, the next rancher over hasn't seen one, the rancher 7 miles south hasn't seen one, the rancher 4 miles north hasn't seen one, the rancher 9 miles west hasn't seen one...but your right, I'm probably wrong.

Just like around Big Lake, helicopters and hunters must have been the reason they aren't there rofl

That's just plain silly. Everyone (well, everyone aware of their surroundings) knows there are hogs in every part of Concho Co.

You should probably tell these folks they are false advertising.... geezus.

http://www.landsofamerica.com/property/8079-US-87-Eden-Texas-76837/3643441

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 04:27 AM

rofl Every part of the county huh...well, guess those poor ranchers out there and those poor hunters just don't know what a hog looks like.

I will concede that I mistyped when I stated the "3 counties west of you". North of the river has hogs as well as Eden area. South of the lake and south of Paint Rock, nope. They are not in every part of the county and actually not in a pretty large portion of the center of the county.

There are also hogs around Big Lake. One really large ranch across the street from yours has killed a few...and the Irion border has a few but I couldn't honestly say how many have crossed that imaginary line into Reagan.

Again, they aren't missing there because of helicopters and hunters though. Comparing Big Lake or Paint Rock to other areas with hog problems isn't exactly apples to apples though. If we had them move in to our ranch, it would be much easier to keep them at bay than to go into East Texas and eradicate them. Not to mention, much easier to see and shoot them in our country from a helicopter.

Honest question: Has Reagan county ever had a hog problem?
Posted By: glens

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 04:31 AM

Seen any that only cost 50 bucks a person for 4 man teams and pay off with ~$45,000 for first, ~$30,000 for second, and ~$20,000 for third? That's what the cat contest pays.

I think pig hunts could actually pay off MUCH more than that. County org sponsorship would help.

Fayette County has had touraments for years in the spring with several drop off points. They pay you to shoot um. Pay on most, biggest and so on.I wasn't bothered on my little 100 acre place as I had about 35 longhorns. You get that many mommas and they will kill any pig or dog/coyote that comes into there pasture. I've seen this up close. Toss um 20 foot in the air. Somebody would be on them when they hit the ground.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 12:38 PM

No my point wasn't it's to dry for pigs. It's Texas you could have 5" a year and still find ranches with water. My point was lack of heavy vegetation. My ranch averages 15-20" a year. You know how hard it would be for me to eliminate every deer and antelope on it from the ground? Much less the air... could clear it in a week on ground, and 3 days by air.

You said hogs don't exist in Reagan county anyways. Now let's talk ranches with actual ground and Ariel sight "limiting" vegetation like Webb or Mason......

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 01:33 PM

This is getting better than HF-LF and 223 combined.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown [/quote

It's 20" a year annual rain fall. 5 less inches and that country looks like Roswell NM.

There are pigs around Crane and that is further west than Big Lake.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 01:39 PM

rofl Every part of the county huh...well, guess those poor ranchers out there and those poor hunters just don't know what a hog looks like.

I will concede that I mistyped when I stated the "3 counties west of you". North of the river has hogs as well as Eden area. South of the lake and south of Paint Rock, nope. They are not in every part of the county and actually not in a pretty large portion of the center of the county.

There are also hogs around Big Lake. One really large ranch across the street from yours has killed a few...and the Irion border has a few but I couldn't honestly say how many have crossed that imaginary line into Reagan.

Again, they aren't missing there because of helicopters and hunters though. Comparing Big Lake or Paint Rock to other areas with hog problems isn't exactly apples to apples though. If we had them move in to our ranch, it would be much easier to keep them at bay than to go into East Texas and eradicate them. Not to mention, much easier to see and shoot them in our country from a helicopter.

Only pigs I know of in Reagan are on the rocker b and 7d along the river and pastures bordering the river or big draws running into the Middle concho. We border them on the east side in Irion co and have pigs along the river. They don't get more than about 1/2 mile from the river though.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 01:50 PM

[/quote

There are pigs around Crane and that is further west than Big Lake.

That is fact! I hit one on motorcycle in Ector county right before you get into Crane county about 7 years ago! Will see them all the time coming to work. I work in Crane and have seen them south of Monahans before.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 02:50 PM

No. Reagan county hasn't ever had a problem. But ALL surrounding counties have. The difference is that Reagan co. does predator control from choppers. County co-op. Every time they are up on a yote/cat hunt they kill any pig they see. It's real easy to do if you combine and focus your efforts on tactics that actually work.

Reagan co. is a perfect example of an excellent pig control strategy utilizing the very best method of control.

Regardless of what bs you choose to believe.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: RLoving1

There are pigs around Crane and that is further west than Big Lake. [/quote

That is fact! I hit one on motorcycle in Ector county right before you get into Crane county about 7 years ago! Will see them all the time coming to work. I work in Crane and have seen them south of Monahans before.

There are pigs in monahans too.

Every once in a while BoBo takes his brain out and plays with it. This is one of those times.

Poor ol TxHuntr is playing with something short of a full deck 24/7 though. "There are no pigs 3 counties east of Reagan"... Lawd have mercy...

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 02:58 PM

No. Reagan county hasn't ever had a problem. But ALL surrounding counties have. The difference is that they do predator control from choppers. County co-op. Every time they are up on a yote/cat hunt they kill any pig they see. It's real easy to do if you combine and focus your efforts on tactics that actually work.

Reagan co. is a perfect example of an excellent pig control strategy utilizing the very best method of control.

Regardless of what bs you spout, saying the tactics that worked in a county that has never had a major pig problem, low vegetation, relatively minor elevation changes, isolated water, etc., could be used in other geographical areas is narrow sighted at best.

While it is "easy" to do in that county, implementing the same tactics in an area with greater elevation changes, heavier canopy, more river bottoms, etc., isn't the same. If we had hogs move into our ranch and surrounding areas in Concho, the same tactics would work great that worked for Reagan....in Longview, Texas, not so much.

But hey...keep thinking that your way is the only way and if you are doing it different you are an idiot. Sounds like the same thought of one of our other THF residents rofl

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:02 PM

No my point wasn't it's to dry for pigs. It's Texas you could have 5" a year and still find ranches with water. My point was lack of heavy vegetation. My ranch averages 15-20" a year. You know how hard it would be for me to eliminate every deer and antelope on it from the ground? Much less the air... could clear it in a week on ground, and 3 days by air.

You said hogs don't exist in Reagan county anyways. Now let's talk ranches with actual ground and Ariel sight "limiting" vegetation like Webb or Mason......

"It's 20" a year annual rain fall. 5 less inches and that country looks like Roswell NM."

That's exactly what you said. And I pointed out that there are thriving wild hog populations in counties that in fact do look like Roswell or worse.

I can and will control pigs here in Kerr Co. I've cut all my cedar and will begin helicoptering soon. It would have cost me twice as much before I cut the cedar. But a few thousand dollars more isn't going to stop that effort. We are in fact forming a local co-op to do predator control.

And let me assure you, if you can get rid of deer and antelope from the air you can certainly do it with pigs. The run like roaches from a chopper. As dependable as the sun coming up everyday.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:04 PM

Every once in a while BoBo takes his brain out and plays with it. This is one of those times.

Poor ol TxHuntr is playing with something short of a full deck 24/7 though. "There are no pigs 3 counties east of Reagan"... Lawd have mercy...

rofl I admitted I was wrong on the county wide thing...at least I can admit when I say something stupid

I do stand by central Concho having none and would put money on it grin

None, zilch, zero in Reagan though...but the rockerb doesn't count I'm sure, or the ones on the Irion border cheers

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:07 PM

"It's 20" a year annual rain fall. 5 less inches and that country looks like Roswell NM."

That's exactly what you said. And I pointed out that there are thriving wild hog populations in counties that in fact do look like Roswell or worse.

I can and will control pigs here in Kerr Co. I've cut all my cedar and will begin helicoptering soon. It would have cost me twice as much before I cut the cedar. But a few thousand dollars more isn't going to stop that effort. We are in fact forming a local co-op to do predator control.

And let me assure you, if you can get rid of deer and antelope from the air you can certainly do it with pigs. The run like roaches from a chopper. As dependable as the sun coming up everyday.

How is the hog population there? Will it be a continuos effort or will it get to a point where it takes minimal effort to keep them at bay? Can you eliminate them completely or is the plan to keep them to a minimal level?

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:08 PM

No. Reagan county hasn't ever had a problem. But ALL surrounding counties have. The difference is that they do predator control from choppers. County co-op. Every time they are up on a yote/cat hunt they kill any pig they see. It's real easy to do if you combine and focus your efforts on tactics that actually work.

Regardless of what bs you spout, saying the tactics that worked in a county that has never had a major pig problem, low vegetation, relatively minor elevation changes, isolated water, etc., could be used in other geographical areas is narrow sighted at best.

While it is "easy" to do in that county, implementing the same tactics in an area with greater elevation changes, heavier canopy, more river bottoms, etc., isn't the same. If we had hogs move into our ranch and surrounding areas in Concho, the same tactics would work great that worked for Reagan....in Longview, Texas, not so much.

But hey...keep thinking that your way is the only way and if you are doing it different you are an idiot. Sounds like the same thought of one of our other THF residents rofl

There is no better pig control method than helicopters. And it can be used anywhere. Even before I cleared cedar here in Kerr I could have controlled them from the air. And my ranch here was one of the thickest in the county. Pigs run from choppers. Period.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:12 PM

How is the hog population there? Will it be a continuos effort or will it get to a point where it takes minimal effort to keep them at bay? Can you eliminate them completely or is the plan to keep them to a minimal level?

I will be able to keep them at a VERY low level. It's a matter of effort and method. My place is covered in pigs on the thick side. Very few on the thin side. I have an 800 acre neighbor that has completely eradicated them from his place. I may never be able to completely eradicate them. But I'm gonna get real close.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:16 PM

rofl I admitted I was wrong on the county wide thing...at least I can admit when I say something stupid

I do stand by central Concho having none and would put money on it grin

None, zilch, zero in Reagan though...but the rockerb doesn't count I'm sure, or the ones on the Irion border cheers

Kerr co probably has as high a pig population as any county. But as you see in my post above, individual ranches are able to control them to zilch.

You say your's is one of those. I won't say that's not true. BUT, I'll call you a liar if you say they haven't done anything to control them.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: RLoving1

There are pigs around Crane and that is further west than Big Lake. [/quote

I'm sure there is, hell I have them in Cimmeron Okla that's not the point. Ability to eradicate is. It's have 5 trees on my ranch. If state allowed night and hunting guess what...hogs would be eradicated. In five minutes I could have permission to fly 100k acres.

If you have the ability to truly eradicate hogs then you are not restricted by vegetation. Big difference in vegetation of Reagan then Webb or Mason or Kerr or even east texas.

Rancher even stated he is about to clear out cedar so he can do aerial control. He is currently restricted via vegetation

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:31 PM

I will be able to keep them at a VERY low level. It's a matter of effort and method. My place is covered in pigs on the thick side. Very few on the thin side. I have an 800 acre neighbor that has completely eradicated them from his place. I may never be able to completely eradicate them. But I'm gonna get real close.

Only one way to completely eradicate them on 800 acres. Part of it I s a bye product of fencing in something else, and rest is improved pasture.

Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 03:57 PM

This is getting better than HF-LF and 223 combined.

As soon as this thread is locked, I'm starting a thread on "chili, beans or no beans?".
Posted By: Boxer62

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 04:11 PM

Not one single method will eradicate hogs. I hunt a place with my dogs that traps, shoots, and helicopters hog and we still haven't gotten rid of them. I have even taken my dogs out there the afternoon the helicopter pilot showed me the pile of hogs they shot that morning and I had 4 hogs caught in under and hour. A combination of these methods is extremely productive.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 04:35 PM

You say your's is one of those. I won't say that's not true. BUT, I'll call you a liar if you say they haven't done anything to control them.

I don't know anyone in the area that has done anything to control them. If they are doing anything, it is miles south of us around Eden. As far as anyone knows, they haven't crossed south of the river but I know three ranchers on the river and they do nothing and know of no one around them that does. I just know for 25 years, all I have heard is "any day now"

I also have no valid theory as to why we don't have them.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 05:14 PM

I don't know anyone in the area that has done anything to control them. If they are doing anything, it is miles south of us around Eden. As far as anyone knows, they haven't crossed south of the river but I know three ranchers on the river and they do nothing and know of no one around them that does. I just know for 25 years, all I have heard is "any day now"

I also have no valid theory as to why we don't have them.

OK. I'm not going to call you a liar. BUT, someone is lying to you.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 06:54 PM

I read all this and find it interesting, Pigs / No Pigs, This county, that county.

In twenty years on our farms in Terry county, 40 miles south of Lubbock, I have never seen a pig, pig tracks or rooting. Eight separate farms in sections, halfs or quarters, south of Brownfield. I've asked the farmers and they say "No problems here".

Then I would fire up THF and see pictures of djones with piles of dead pigs from Lubbock or Terry County.

I don't really have a point to make here except that maybe both sides are correct. Location, location, location. 2cents

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 04/27/17 07:46 PM

I read all this and find it interesting, Pigs / No Pigs, This county, that county.

In twenty years on our farms in Terry county, 40 miles south of Lubbock, I have never seen a pig, pig tracks or rooting. Eight separate farms in sections, halfs or quarters, south of Brownfield. I've asked the farmers and they say "No problems here".

Then I would fire up THF and see pictures of djones with piles of dead pigs from Lubbock or Terry County.

I don't really have a point to make here except that maybe both sides are correct. Location, location, location. 2cents

I've hunted mule deer in terry county three times. There were plenty of pigs on the property we hunted. Sandhills next to cattle pastures. There were a lot more on the place we hunt in cockran county though.

I'm sure there are parts of both counties they are controlled in. But there are pigs where they aren't controlled.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 05/02/17 09:23 PM

what is the secret to keep them controlled? bang

I've hunted mule deer in terry county three times. There were plenty of pigs on the property we hunted. Sandhills next to cattle pastures. There were a lot more on the place we hunt in cockran county though.

I'm sure there are parts of both counties they are controlled in. But there are pigs where they aren't controlled.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 06/18/17 02:14 AM

And now we have finally come to the $64,000 question. When do pigs fly and where do they go.....

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 06/18/17 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
And now we have finally come to the $64,000 question. When do pigs fly and where do they go.....

popcorn You'll have ta cheek the flight manifest...

This says it best:
Quote:
there are pigs where they aren't controlled

flag

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 06/18/17 04:30 PM

I'm sure there is, hell I have them in Cimmeron Okla that's not the point. Ability to eradicate is. It's have 5 trees on my ranch. If state allowed night and hunting guess what...hogs would be eradicated. In five minutes I could have permission to fly 100k acres.

If you have the ability to truly eradicate hogs then you are not restricted by vegetation. Big difference in vegetation of Reagan then Webb or Mason or Kerr or even east texas.

Rancher even stated he is about to clear out cedar so he can do aerial control. He is currently restricted via vegetation

BOBO, Oklahoma now allows night hog hunting with a very easy exemption process. Put your info into an iPhone app or online and you get an automatic one year exemption for night hunting for hogs.

Just FYI
Posted By: olinecoach

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 06/18/17 07:15 PM

I have squirrel issues just like you have hog issues. Shoot as many as I can with pellet gun. Haven't influenced population at all.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 06/18/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

BOBO, Oklahoma now allows night hog hunting with a very easy exemption process. Put your info into an iPhone app or online and you get an automatic one year exemption for night hunting for hogs.

Just FYI

Way cool thank you!
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 06/18/17 11:02 PM

I believe the night exemption has been in effect for about a year. I know deeded land owners can apply for it but when it comes to who can actually do the shooting I am not certain but I believe most property owners in Okla knew about this exemption.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 06/19/17 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
I believe the night exemption has been in effect for about a year. I know deeded land owners can apply for it but when it comes to who can actually do the shooting I am not certain but I believe most property owners in Okla knew about this exemption.

Not this one. But then again Hogs in Cimmeron and Texas county arent all that prevalent. We have more elk then hogs most likely

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 06/19/17 12:02 PM

latest report. S.W. Ks. Dodge city area, wheat cutting is going to be late, have had lots of rain, bird population should be on the rebound. there has been isolated areas of hail.

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 06/19/17 12:26 PM

latest report. S.W. Ks. Dodge city area, wheat cutting is going to be late, have had lots of rain, bird population should be on the rebound. there has been isolated areas of hail.

First time in a few years we haven got hit with late frost or heavy hail. With that said I should knock on wood
Posted By: CarolinaPete

Re: farmers & ranchers? - 06/24/17 08:01 PM

Poison is tough to control, even if only the hogs eat it then you still end up with a poisoned carcass
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum