Texas Hunting Forum

Grand Slam on a Budget

Posted By: Rog2

Grand Slam on a Budget - 01/18/17 03:08 PM

So I've decided to try for the Grand Slam, hopeful to start on it this spring. I am going to have to do this on an extremely tight budget, which means public land and alot of camping. Looking for any information you folks can give me to help out. Chasing the Rio this year. Have some promising information from the Twin Buttes area,anyone got any helpful advice?
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Grand Slam on a Budget - 01/18/17 04:22 PM

The best cheap ways to get a Rio that I know of would be standby at Matador, Kerr, or Daughtery (in that order), only $80. If you know how to hunt and can call reasonable well, a rio should be easy. Aquilla has birds, but not many, tough hunt. I've killed 15-20 birds down at Los Olmos creek outside of Riviera (early in the season, gets more difficult after the first few weeks). Free to use, but you and the birds have to be below the vegetation line. Another option is Ft. Hood. Haven't done that one in a while, but full of birds. It's a logistically difficult hunt (register guns, 1 day per drawing, poor maps, etc.). Think it was $50 when I hunted there. There's some corps land up around Hagerman, but not sure what's required to hunt it (don't think it is difficult, but never done it). Good luck on the slam.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Grand Slam on a Budget - 01/18/17 05:14 PM

welcome ta texasHF Check out the public hunting section ... cheers Best wishes... flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum