Texas Hunting Forum

I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary

Posted By: Mr. T.

I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 07:04 PM

My wife is 70 and about 150lbs at 5'2". For 40 years she has shot a 30/06 with federal 180 bullets. This is the first year that I had to put a recoil pad on it for her. I used a limbsaver. And again this year she shot it one time to sight in and got a bulls eye and one shot to drop a nice buck. Most of her shots are with in 200 yards, 300 will be the max limit. I'm open to any suggestion that you may have. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Posted By: fouzman

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 07:06 PM

I'm partial to the 7mm-08 with 140 grain bullets.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 08:19 PM

22-250...
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 09:16 PM

Weatherby Camilla in 7mm-08

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

The 120 grain SST Hornady custom lite works great too
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Weatherby Camilla in 7mm-08
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 10:00 PM

What's your budget?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 10:00 PM

Are you looking for a lady or youth sized gun that fits her better? At 5-2, I suspect her length of pull would be a better match for it.

Also, are you looking for a "nice" gun or more of a utility rifle?
Posted By: huntwest

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 10:52 PM

Just sent you a PM.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 11:09 PM

Does she hunt game larger than deer?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/13/17 11:36 PM

Browning x-bolt 270. 130 grain Federal Premium

A much easier round to shoot that's still main stream and kills them just as dead.

Or.....270WSM in 140 is a great choice that would give her a short action. up
Posted By: 12shotgun

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 12:37 AM

I don't have any suggestions but congratulations on your 40th! cheers
Going on 23 here so hope to catch up you sometime smile
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 01:31 AM

7-08 with 120 grain bullets. My wife is 4'10" and about 90 lbs. She shoots that out of a Browning Micro Midas. She hates recoil and loves that rifle. With the Ballistic Tips, it flat puts deer down. I've been very impressed with the whole package.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 04:12 AM

I'll cast my vote for a 260/6.5 Creed/6.5 Swede. Tikka or RAR Compact.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 04:26 AM

.25-.06 is a low recoil laser even with 100 grain Core Lokts
Posted By: tex70

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 04:44 AM

Can't help on the rifle recommendation but congrats on the 40 years cheers
Posted By: Wytex

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 04:44 AM

300 wsm has very manageable recoil and will take anything she wants to hunt. Use it for everything from antelope to my cow bison this year. Flat shooting with 165 gr bullets.
Posted By: PMK

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 06:38 PM

25-06 or 22-250 if you hand load, flat, accurate, deadly with little recoil
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 06:51 PM

I would just go Tikka T3 wood/blue in 7-08. My daughter loves hers.

My wife loves the Wby. Vanguard in .257 Wby she used this year. It's a Vanguard I and ain't much in the looks department but shoots wonderfully. An added bonus is its flat stock bottom works well for blind hunting because it sits nice and flat on the window opening.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 07:21 PM

Remington 700 Mountain SS 7-08
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
7-08 with 120 grain bullets. My wife is 4'10" and about 90 lbs. She shoots that out of a Browning Micro Midas. She hates recoil and loves that rifle. With the Ballistic Tips, it flat puts deer down. I've been very impressed with the whole package.

Perfect combo IMO. Those 7mm 120BT's are very impressive performers with very light recoil for sure.
Posted By: chalet

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 10:52 PM

40 years is special, be a little different. Find her a good 7x57.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/14/17 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: chalet

I like that idea too. A la Eleanor O'Connor....
Posted By: catfish391

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 12:35 AM

257 Roberts

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I'm all my travels I've never seen a hunter shoot a 7x57 and only seen a few boxes of ammo for sale

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 12:45 AM

I'm all my travels I've never seen a hunter shoot a 7x57 and only seen a few boxes of ammo for sale

They aren't common, that's for sure. To me, that's part of their allure. But they have always had a following and have spiked in popularity in recent years (along with other Euro calibers like 6.5x55, etc.).You won't find the ammo at the feed store, but I have never failed to see a pretty decent selection at the bigger outdoors/sporting goods stores. Have seen it at some Wal Marts, not others.

In this Internet age, ammo availabilty for almost any caliber is not a concern to me unless I'm flying to another country and/or super remote area and my ammo may not make it with me due to baggage issues.
(As an aside, another reason your .257 Wby. may not be the best choice for your BC hunt.)

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 01:05 AM

Your right, in the internet age being able to buy ammo otc is of little concern.

But....the 7mm-08 does everything a 7x57 does in a wider selection of rifles
Posted By: Booner1

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 01:05 AM

6MM Remington with a 100 grain bullet is perfect for managed recoil and has more than enough stopping power for Texas whitetail. I have taken deer at 300 yds. with it and have seen a lot of them fall in the scope after the shot. Yes, I am biased since I have been shooting one for over 30 years.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 01:06 AM

Your right, in the internet age being able to buy ammo otc is of little concern.

No doubt.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 01:38 AM

No doubt.

No doubt they do the same thing - plenty of knockdown and range, mild recoil, the ability to load light or heavy. I Have a thing for classics. The 7x57 has a history, the 7-08 doesn't. Ammo availability isn't a big deal, buy online or reload. Honestly, I only know one other hunter personally that shoots 7x57 and I know a lot of folks that hunt.

If the Mrs appreciates nice things, find a nice 7x57.
Posted By: 7x57

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 01:43 AM

Unless it sold, there's a winchester m70 fn featherweight in 7x57 at my LGS. 1 of <450 made (verified by winchester) since they had to be ordered and paid for at the SHOT show in 2013.

No one had taken it since they don't really know what the heck it is. I bought one and love it.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 01:45 AM

chalet I think you would like my old Mannlicher Schoenauer 7x57. smile

Original Griffin and Howe side mounts with Weaver K3. Not on par with today's optics but I have taken a few animals with it.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: 7x57
Unless it sold, there's a winchester m70 fn featherweight in 7x57 at my LGS. 1 of <450 made (verified by winchester) since they had to be ordered and paid for at the SHOT show in 2013.

No one had taken it since they don't really know what the heck it is. I bought one and love it.

up

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 01:47 AM

Nog,

How do you like the dual trigger set up?

How light is the rear when you set the first trigger

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 01:54 AM

Nog,

To be honest, it's downright scary. If you set it, a mouse fart will trip the rear trigger. (Advertised at 3oz pull by MS back in the day.) I have read it's adjustable down to so low that the rifle will fire if it is moved from horizontal to vertical in position. Without touching the trigger. That may be hyperbole - but it may not be.

I use the "creepy" front trigger with the 6 lb pull unless I am in a very controlled environment such as bench or blind. I don't dislike the dual set triggers, but would probably prefer a single. They do add to the "old school" factor which I like on that particular rifle.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 01:57 AM

Dude, a 1908 is definitely on my list of need to have's. I dig the the steel tube Weavers also and have a few. One of these days maybe I'll run across a good Mannlicher. That is a nice looking rifle and what I'm saying the op needs.

Not everybody thinks like me though, I get it. I wouldn't want you suckers picking out gifts for my wife.

chalet I think you would like my old Mannlicher Schoenauer 7x57. smile

Original Griffin and Howe side mounts with Weaver K3. Not on par with today's optics but I have taken a few animals with it.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 02:02 AM

chalet you and I think much alike I can tell. "Old school" in our blood. smile

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 02:14 AM

Old school and ancient are two different things.

That rifle is something the knight that guarded the holy grail would have shot.

If he would have had that within reach Indiana jones might not have got the better of him
Posted By: 7x57

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 02:19 AM

I have weaver k4 that needs a good older gun to go on, really love that scope.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 02:21 AM

If he would have had that within reach Indiana jones might not have got the better of him

NP - I will take that as a compliment. TT85, I'd say the difference in capabilities of that rifle and what comes off the shelf these days ain't enough to affect 99% of hunters out there. The problem would be whether or not it fits a woman, as you don't want to go chopping it up.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 02:30 AM

NP - I will take that as a compliment. TT85, I'd say the difference in capabilities of that rifle and what comes off the shelf these days ain't enough to affect 99% of hunters out there. The problem would be whether or not it fits a woman, as you don't want to go chopping it up.

It was intended to be. smile

tt85 the only things old rifles give up to newer ones are usually optics options and (maybe) a little accuracy but usually not enough to matter for hunting purposes. That 7x57 hits game just the same out of an old gun as a 7mm-08 out of the newest rifle made. If you heft it and work the bolt on it, you will see its "feel" is unduplicated in modern rifles.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 02:35 AM

Nog,

To be honest, it's downright scary. If you set it, a mouse fart will trip the rear trigger. (Advertised at 3oz pull by MS back in the day.) I have read it's adjustable down to so low that the rifle will fire if it is moved from horizontal to vertical in position. Without touching the trigger. That may be hyperbole - but it may not be.

I use the "creepy" front trigger with the 6 lb pull unless I am in a very controlled environment such as bench or blind. I don't dislike the dual set triggers, but would probably prefer a single. They do add to the "old school" factor which I like on that particular rifle.

CZ makes a single trigger system that you push it forward and it sets it otherwise it functions like a traditional trigger. Kinda the best of both worlds

I've shot some 6 oz. triggers before they are scary

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 04:17 AM

It was intended to be. smile

tt85 the only things old rifles give up to newer ones are usually optics options and (maybe) a little accuracy but usually not enough to matter for hunting purposes. That 7x57 hits game just the same out of an old gun as a 7mm-08 out of the newest rifle made. If you heft it and work the bolt on it, you will see its "feel" is unduplicated in modern rifles.

No doubt rifles of yesteryear are better built than today's guns. Today's guns suck imo unless you go high end
Posted By: kmon11

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 10:59 AM

Those old Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles have a elegance to them that has to be felt and used to truly be appreciated. Butter knife bolt handle because the action is buttery smooth. My 1903 is old/beaten up and not pretty but handles like a dream and shoots quite well in the very mild mannered 6.5X54MS.

Speaking of mild mannered rifles the CZ 527 mini mauser is being offered in the 6.5 Grendel this year. Light weight rifle with a pretty smooth action and in a caliber that is effective past 300 yards on deer and has that single set trigger. Might be worth a look.

Savage makes the lady hunter model which is proportioned for the ladies and is a very nice rifle also.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 02:40 PM

I went through the same thing when buying a rifle for my wife. I started her out with my 22-250, which she liked and got her first hog with. But the rifle itself was too big for her to get comfortable with. We decided to look into youth model rifles and found that they where the perfect size for her. Unfortunately, it appeared to us that the ones we found locally where all the low end models. They felt cheap, the bolts where rough,and the triggers where hard to pull. Our thought was that these where all temporary rifles bought for kids to use for a couple of years until they where big enough to handle a larger rifle.

Eventually we drove the two hours to Cabelas and looked at what they had to offer. She fell in love with the Remington 700 youth model. It just felt good in her hands. She loves that rifle!!!! I've come home from work to see her walking back to the house with it after going out to target practice by herself. When she sees a snake, she uses her rifle to shoot it instead of her pistol. I've bought her three guns now, and that Remington is by far her favorite!!!

We went with 7mm-08 because of the variety of bullet sizes available. I think all of the short action calibers are close enough to each other that you can't go wrong with caliber. Ammo is easy to find. It's deadly accurate. She has taken 3 hogs, a whitetail buck and two beavers with it. Beavers swimming out in the pond are very small targets. Even more difficult because they are moving along and all you can see is the top of their heads.

Whatever you do, be sure that she picks it out. You want her to be happy with it, and for it to feel right in her hands.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 03:20 PM

Depends on your budget...

For 40 years of marriage I'd get her the weatherby Camilla and a diamond ring or piece of nice jewelry. My wife hunts too, but would love the little extra...

Or If honestly she wants a rifle I'd get a blaser R8 success, in a 6.5x55, or 6.5 creedmoor, or a 7-08...what ever is your fancy.

Ed

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 03:24 PM

"Whatever you do, be sure that she picks it out. You want her to be happy with it, and for it to feel right in her hands."

Now I have a problem!!!!, I told her that I was going to get her a new rifle for our 40th anniversary and she looked at me and said, "I like my 30-06. I had it for almost 40 years. I shot it 25 times and have 21 whitetail, 2 mule deer and 2 antelope, all on the ground, all with one shot. Why would I want a new one?"

Her rifle is a long story. It is a Springfield 1903 Sporterized 30-06. When I was in high school, the ROTC program was in a portable building. They had 30 original and fully functional Springfield 1903....it was a different world then. The building caught fire and everything burned up. I bought 2 of what was left of the riles for $5 each. I saved up my money, (this was in 1969) and had them both Sporterized. Cost me a total of $100. Then I saved up some more money from cutting the lawns in my neighborhood during the summer and bought two Weaver 4 power scopes. When she came along, I had the stock cut down a little, I did not have it fitted to her, I did not know you did stuff like that. Anyway, that is the rifle that she has used all her life and she has never even shot another one. Only change is that two years ago, I took the 4 power off and put a 6 power on. I too had only shot my rifle until two years ago, when it began hurting my shoulder and so I decided that I needed a Weatherby 270 because all my life I have wanted one. I bought it on my 65 birthday.
I love my wife very much, so I'm still going to buy her a new rifle and most likely it will sit in the closet while she uses her old Springfield. But maybe someday she will try it....Women, if it was a few new pair of shoes I was talking about, she must have 50 pair now and would jump up and down at the thought of some new ones. So, maybe we will get both.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 03:27 PM

Honestly, I would go another direction then. She seems perfectly happy (indeed downright in love) with her .30-06. That's all that really matters....
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/15/17 04:30 PM

Sounds like your wife is the living proof of the old Oak Cliff po folks like mine were fond of saying ...."Having Money don't buy Class" ...'cause with given that back story, she is for sure a Class Act...and a rare diamond of a person indeed.
Ron
Posted By: gunslinger922

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
I'll cast my vote for a 260/6.5 Creed/6.5 Swede. Tikka or RAR Compact.

X2
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 01:17 AM

I would keep her gun, put a muzzle brake on it from briley. I think it reduces it to less than a .243. She get to still have the memories of the Winchester.
Posted By: jt402

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 04:01 AM

I'm surprised that no one has recommended .243. Stoke them with 95 or 100 grain Nosler
Partitions and they go on steroids. Plenty for mule and WT deer and perhaps larger.

Not enough for you, .260 or 7-08. Heck, even some 150s in the '06 would take some off the recoil. I have been killing deer with 150s for over fifty years.

Best,

Jack
Posted By: rattler03

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 05:42 AM

I'm not sure what you ought to do now, but maybe you could get her a lighter caliber rifle that she could enjoy target shooting. It sounds like she doesn't enjoy that at all now, but maybe a lighter caliber with less recoil could get her more interested in it. My wife has no interest in killing an animal, but she likes to punch paper and work on shooting tight groups. She shoots an old savage model 99 in .243

congratulations on 40 years of marriage ... hopefully after that long you can get away with posting her weight on an internet forum roflmao
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 06:17 AM

I'm not a caliber fanboy but there is a reason 6.5 Creedmoor is soaring in popularity. More ammo selections everyday. I do not like long action rifles and I much prefer to see my kills through the scope I am shooting over being rattled by recoil. My 8 and 10 yr old boys are pretty big fans of the 6.5 Creedmoor. Long shots are not a problem for them. I range it, dial the dope and tell them to take out the shoulder. Nothing has walked off yet.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 02:31 PM

That's a great story, congrats on 40 years.

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
"Whatever you do, be sure that she picks it out. You want her to be happy with it, and for it to feel right in her hands."

Now I have a problem!!!!, I told her that I was going to get her a new rifle for our 40th anniversary and she looked at me and said, "I like my 30-06. I had it for almost 40 years. I shot it 25 times and have 21 whitetail, 2 mule deer and 2 antelope, all on the ground, all with one shot. Why would I want a new one?"

Her rifle is a long story. It is a Springfield 1903 Sporterized 30-06. When I was in high school, the ROTC program was in a portable building. They had 30 original and fully functional Springfield 1903....it was a different world then. The building caught fire and everything burned up. I bought 2 of what was left of the riles for $5 each. I saved up my money, (this was in 1969) and had them both Sporterized. Cost me a total of $100. Then I saved up some more money from cutting the lawns in my neighborhood during the summer and bought two Weaver 4 power scopes. When she came along, I had the stock cut down a little, I did not have it fitted to her, I did not know you did stuff like that. Anyway, that is the rifle that she has used all her life and she has never even shot another one. Only change is that two years ago, I took the 4 power off and put a 6 power on. I too had only shot my rifle until two years ago, when it began hurting my shoulder and so I decided that I needed a Weatherby 270 because all my life I have wanted one. I bought it on my 65 birthday.
I love my wife very much, so I'm still going to buy her a new rifle and most likely it will sit in the closet while she uses her old Springfield. But maybe someday she will try it....Women, if it was a few new pair of shoes I was talking about, she must have 50 pair now and would jump up and down at the thought of some new ones. So, maybe we will get both.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 02:35 PM

"... hopefully after that long you can get away with posting her weight on an internet forum"

I never claimed to be smart, but there is no way I'm that darn stupid!!! She boxed both my ears when she saw I wrote she was 70.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 02:50 PM

.50 BMG. One shot and she's done. After 40 yrs you need some time to yourself.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 03:13 PM

I think a 6.5 Creedmoor would be outstanding for her but I'm a little partial, that being said 6.5x55 Swede, 7-08, 25-06, will also work great!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 03:17 PM

Get her a fun gun like an AR
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 03:34 PM

Since she likes her rifle so much, and she probably won't hunt with the new one you get her, why not get her a really nice .22? She could shoot it for practice and plinking. Henry and Browning make levers with beautiful wood. Or search around for a really nice bolt action with good wood.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba
Since she likes her rifle so much, and she probably won't hunt with the new one you get her, why not get her a really nice .22? She could shoot it for practice and plinking. Henry and Browning make levers with beautiful wood. Or search around for a really nice bolt action with good wood.

That's a great idea right there. I love, love my little BL .22.

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
I think a 6.5 Creedmoor would be outstanding for her but I'm a little partial, that being said 6.5x55 Swede, 7-08, 25-06, will also work great!

I'm leaning towards a 6.5 creedmoor that Weatherby makes for woman.
Posted By: Todd Walker

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 10:58 PM

Congrats!!! only read first and this page, but why not put a break on her gun????? Will cut recoil by 40% or better, newer recoil pad, she will hopefully get another 40 years with the same gun. nice deer too...
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/16/17 11:42 PM

I would stay away from youth/lady's rifles. They are light and will beat them up. The hardest kicking gun I have shot recently was a youth 243, that thing kicked like a mule.
My daughters and my wife all ended up with heavy barrel full size rifles, their choice.
They smirk every time they hear a guy say he needs a lighter rifle or a shorter one to move around in the blind.
My girls are all petite and will carry their rifle 1/4 mile to the blind and love the stability and less recoil it offers.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/17/17 12:19 AM

You sure that woman is 70? She doesn't look a day over 55
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/17/17 12:20 AM

no better present for your hunting wife than a

wood stock Winchester 1895

classic, timeless
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/17/17 12:27 AM

It sounds like she knows how to shoot. Get her a new M70 in 22-250. She'll be able to watch them drop in the crosshairs.
Posted By: Western

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/17/17 12:52 AM

Mr. T, I have n recommendations on a firearm that probably hasn't already been covered, but mucho congrats on 40 years my man up I'm sure she will be happy with what ever you get
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/17/17 01:44 AM

As many have said Mr. T, congrats on the 40 years!

I would look hard at a 6.5 creedmoor. Savage makes a model called the lady hunter that would be a tack driver. I'm very fond of that round as I bought a 6.5 creedmoor to be used by me and my wife. Between the 2 of us, we've shot 9 animals this year with that rifle and all have been DRT. 7-08 is a close second to me.
Posted By: HS2

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/17/17 05:13 AM

I got a .243 for my wife.

I thought it was a pretty good trade.......
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/17/17 06:00 AM

7x57 Ruger #1

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/17/17 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
You sure that woman is 70? She doesn't look a day over 55

You made her day...Thanks!
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/17/17 01:58 PM

Since she loves her rifle, and doesn't feel the need for a new one, what about getting her a high quality pair of binoculars?

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/18/17 04:01 PM

Might be changing my tune here, but was surfing the web looking for a rifle for my daughters. The Weatherby Camilla looks like a lot of gun for the money. Think somebody posted about it previously.

http://www.weatherby.com/vanguardr-camilla.html
Posted By: Jungleexplorer

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/20/17 05:51 AM

First off, congratulations on 40 years! not many can claim that these days.

If she is a good shot, then she doesn't need a canon to get the job done. Whitetail can be taken with a lot smaller ammo then a 30.06. I killed 2 whitetail deer this year with a .223 at over 200 yards with the Winchester Power Max 64gr. Both were clean pass throughs at that range and both deer died pretty fast. I have killed many deer at 300 yards with my .243 (actually it's my wife's gun, that I commandeer because it is a nail driver) shooting a Winchester 100gr PowerPoint. Iv'e never had a single deer walk away from a shot with my wife's .243.

Watch this video to see the damage the .223 had on a whitetail buck at 170 yards.

Posted By: JimRitcholds481

Re: I want to buy my wife a new rifle for our 40th anniversary - 01/26/17 02:49 PM

my lady shoots my old remington 700 270. She also shoots my new 300win mag, but theres a catch. My 300 mag has a muzzle brake, she and I both swear till we're blue in the face that the 300 kicks less than the 270 with the brake. I don't know what your budget is so its hard for me to recommend a higher end rifle something upwards of 3000 without glass so i will say something around 270 should be perfect, its killed deer from 2-300 yards forever. But if you want to spend a little extra on a custom rifle, i am now enamored with the 300winmag and highly suggest this cartridge, just make sure its got a brake or its definitely going to feel like a 300mag lol. Plus it gives you a wider range of possible game than the 270 IMO, i mean you can kill an elk dead with a 270 i just think its a better option to go with something bigger.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum