Texas Hunting Forum

Aoudad meat

Posted By: muleymaddness

Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 04:35 PM

Can you eat aoudad? I'm not talking about making steaks, but say you grind it up for sausage or make it all in jerky? I just can't shoot one, cape it, and leave him on the mountain. Then have to look at him mounted in my office daily knowing I wasted him and left him on the mountain. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 04:42 PM

popcorn
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 04:48 PM

You can. I'm not, but you can.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 04:50 PM

Use the search function. Lots of previous threads on the subject. Consensus is that the sausage is fine. Anything else is controversial.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 05:04 PM

Mine stunk to bad to even think about eating. It was rank.
Posted By: TWarren

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 05:44 PM

I shot a ewe last year and she was just fine for eating. I imagine a ram could be tougher and perhaps gamier but nothing heavily seasoned sausage or jerky can't handle.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 06:02 PM

popcorn
Posted By: catfish391

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 07:09 PM

I've eaten several, rams are a bit gamey, ewes are ok, mostly made sausage and things like chili that were fairly spicy.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 07:11 PM

Take all the meat off the mountain with you so you won't feel bad. Force feed it to yourself on occasion until it freezer burns, then toss it. You won't feel so bad then when you get rid of it. Don't ask me how I know this.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkE
Take all the meat off the mountain with you so you won't feel bad. Force feed it to yourself on occasion until it freezer burns, then toss it. You won't feel so bad then when you get rid of it. Don't ask me how I know this.

roflmao
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
Originally Posted By: MarkE

roflmao
clap
Posted By: mustafa

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 08:33 PM

^^ that's funny
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 08:39 PM

My dad and my brother each shot a big ram. We skinned gutted quartered and iced them. Got home and decided we better try some. Cut a steak out of the back strap tenderized breaded and fried and it didn't pass the taste test for anyone in the house. Edible yes, but I don't like it. It went to the pile. If you were to grind mix with pork and season it might be better... but if its not then you just wasted a bunch more effort time and resources.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 09:19 PM

The yotes will eat em and that's about all I can say about em. Some people eat javelina and I have seen yotes pass on those in Mexico.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 09:22 PM

my stepdad killed a large ewe in 97' and we BBQ'd the backstraps

I think sometime around 2004-2005 is when I finally got the taste outta my mouth
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I think sometime around 2004-2005 is when I finally got the taste outta my mouth
rofl
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 10:25 PM

Y'all got sensitive taste buds LOL.

I like it. It takes a while under a pressure cooker to tenderize but it is good meat. As for smell, I don't know what kind of aoudad y'all kill, mine smelled like any other 4-legged carcass confused2

Had some ground meat out a few weeks ago of an ewe my dad shot in September. Twas good

popcorn
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 11:03 PM

I rather eat a boot. Not a new boot mind you, an old worn out boot.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: muleymaddness
Can you eat aoudad? I'm not talking about making steaks, but say you grind it up for sausage or make it all in jerky? I just can't shoot one, cape it, and leave him on the mountain. Then have to look at him mounted in my office daily knowing I wasted him and left him on the mountain. Thanks in advance.

You won't waste him if you just leave the meat for the predators. They won't waste one little scrap of it. Wasting it is waiting until it gets freezer burn and then throwing it in the trash. That's wasting it IMO.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 11:41 PM

Like anything its in the way you cook it. Mutton, sheep, etc.. isn't going to taste like beef. I shot a ram about a month ago and the made jerky out of a rear quarter and birria. Everyone loved the jerky and the birria was great. Now.... the meat did have a slightly different smell that I wasn't fond of but not over powering at all. No one else noticed it but I think since I processed it I was more sensitive to it.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/12/17 11:44 PM

Heres a tray of jerky I made from it. Everyone even people who don't usually eat wild game loved it.

Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/13/17 12:28 AM

In all honesty, my ram was about 47 years old. confused2
Posted By: mustafa

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/13/17 01:48 AM

Lol
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/13/17 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

clap
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/13/17 04:42 PM

If you want to grind, you can add Trehalose (LEM sells it) to reduce the gaminess. I use it in wild pig sausage. We processed a 250 pound boar a couple of years ago with Trehalose and it was great. Bring some of the meat home and try it. If you don't like it still, then don't bring it home again.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/13/17 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
Like anything its in the way you cook it. Mutton, sheep, etc.. isn't going to taste like beef. I shot a ram about a month ago and the made jerky out of a rear quarter and birria. Everyone loved the jerky and the birria was great. Now.... the meat did have a slightly different smell that I wasn't fond of but not over powering at all. No one else noticed it but I think since I processed it I was more sensitive to it.

I've never made birria, thinking I may try some with some deer meat.
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/15/17 03:20 PM

if you cant manage the taste of it fried up or bbqed why would you put in your sausage, screw that, that would be some rank arse sausage.
grind it up and feed your dogs with it, that what i do with all my freezer burned meat or all the scraps off my processing, i grind it up make 1lb packages, i boil it up with brown rice, my dogs love it.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/16/17 01:53 AM

Mix it with javelina to make it better.

M
Posted By: jt402

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/16/17 03:42 AM

Females and very young males perhaps. Old Rams, billies, boars, and Javilina, leave for predator bait.

Jack
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/18/17 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: jt402
Females and very young males perhaps. Old Rams, billies, boars, and Javilina, leave for predator bait.

Jack

Do that with a Javalina and you've committed a game violation.

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/18/17 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Jack

I have eaten many a javalina. Properly cared for they are not bad eating, but for their size and stink you don't get much out of them and its tuff to make em worth the effort. I often wonder how that law has been interpreted/stayed on the books knowing full well that the vast majority of javalina killed are thrown on a pile for the coyotes and buzzards.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/19/17 06:15 AM

I've had Auodad one time and I just as soon had wrapped a tortilla around a horse turd.
Posted By: Jungleexplorer

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/20/17 05:25 AM

It all depends on what the animal has been eating. If it comes off a game ranch and has been feeding on corn and protein pellets it should be good. If has been in the wild feeding on sage brush, well......??????

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/20/17 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Jungleexplorer
It all depends on what the animal has been eating. If it comes off a game ranch and has been feeding on corn and protein pellets it should be good. If has been in the wild feeding on sage brush, well......??????

The ones we had were escapees off a game ranch with no sage in sight that subsisted on corn and deer protein from our feeders till we shot them and they SUCKED.
Posted By: Hunter307

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/20/17 11:30 PM

Hope I find out in about a week. I hope with proper field care and proper cooking (like any goat/sheep) it will be fine.

Most folks don't like pronghorn, it's in my top 3 tasting game meat.
Posted By: Jungleexplorer

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/21/17 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
The ones we had were escapees off a game ranch with no sage in sight that subsisted on corn and deer protein from our feeders till we shot them and they SUCKED.

Everyone's taste buds are different. Most Americans hate carp, but carp is a delicacy to the 2 billion people that live in China.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/21/17 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Jack

I have eaten many a javalina. Properly cared for they are not bad eating, but for their size and stink you don't get much out of them and its tuff to make em worth the effort. I often wonder how that law has been interpreted/stayed on the books knowing full well that the vast majority of javalina killed are thrown on a pile for the coyotes and buzzards.

My theory is they are native so they had to do something so they made them a game animal but they put such loose regs on it they knew what was gonna happen.

I mean come on, if your not gonna issue a tag for a big game animal why have a bag limit?
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/21/17 04:26 PM

Had aoudad ewe nihari last night. Was excellent. confused2
How to make Aoudad edible
Posted By: txlongshot

Re: Aoudad meat - 01/24/17 08:39 PM

Smelled to bad to even try to cook it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum