Texas Hunting Forum

Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land?

Posted By: Gone to Texas

Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 01:21 AM

A friend of mine has 6 acres of land outside of Denton County city limits. He shoots guns out there without any issue. There is a house about 300 yards away towards the road.

He is fine with me hunting on it but my question, is it legal to hunt on 6 acres of land? Maybe I am missing something but if they shoot guns out there anyway wouldn't it be legal to hunt?

Thanks!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 02:19 AM

As long as the projectile doesn't leave the property.....
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 02:19 AM

The sheriffs office can tell you whether or not you can.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 03:13 AM

Check with the sheriff to find out if they have a county ordinance prohibiting less than 10 acres.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 05:08 AM

In Parker County it has to be more than 10 acres to discharge a firearm.
Posted By:

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 03:02 PM

Do it! Use a bow if you have too. Get in a tree!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 03:11 PM

Must have 10 acres in most area's.
Posted By: P1DTAY

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 05:14 PM

Denton County just changed the law to 10 acres.
Posted By: 7x57

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 05:29 PM

It differs by types of guns here in Laredo, centerfire requires 50 acres for me and you can't be within a certain distance of the fence or have projectiles crossing the property line. Shotguns are 10 I believe.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 05:37 PM

Ignoring legalities (because I don't know what they are), if you're not a bow guy, you could go blackpowder or a shotgun if it is wooded and you've got a heavy backdrop behind the shot. If it's not wooded, I don't see how you do it safely. Bow is safe either way.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: P1DTAY

Link ??
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/12/17 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: P1DTAY

This is what I've read most often. It was also for dove hunting I believe. As I stated earlier, you should contact the sheriff and drill down on whether or not the requirement is for just shotguns and if it would be different for center fire firearms which logic tells you it probably should be.
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/13/17 07:19 PM

Wise, young, and eastland counties there is no minimum amount of land to hunt. I'm sure there are more but those are just the counties I've hunted and know about those regulations.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/13/17 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
Must have 10 acres in most area's.
some counties...if its plated, here in Bastrop county its 40acres
Posted By: longgunner

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/14/17 05:15 PM

I'd get really good with the bow! Even if it's legal, keeping a rifle shot on your property with only 6 acres will be sporty....
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/15/17 03:48 AM

I believe another (ethical) consideration is whether the critter will remain on the property after the shot. It is a bit of a guess but you wouldn't want it to run up to a neighbor's house and croak. I wouldn't want it to cross a property line.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/15/17 12:12 PM

Hunt it if it looks safe. If it doesn't look safe, don't. I wouldn't worry near as much about it being legal as I would about accidentally shooting someone. If the place is surrounded by houses on all sides I would not fire a rifle. If it's nothing but ranch land behind it I'd say you're good to go.

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/16/17 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Hunt it if it looks safe. If it doesn't look safe, don't. I wouldn't worry near as much about it being legal as I would about accidentally shooting someone. If the place is surrounded by houses on all sides I would not fire a rifle. If it's nothing but ranch land behind it I'd say you're good to go.

Behind the land is a 10 foot dirt back stop, a pond, train tracts, then about 600 yards back theres an industrial building.

My concern, along with the legality, is the deer running off. If I rifle hunt I am going to get high up and shoot down so I'm not worried about the bullet traveling.

I'm going to give the Sheriff a call and see what the rules are. Thanks!
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/18/17 05:08 PM

I have a range that goes to 150 yards that I shoot on all the time, 3.5 acres. I could put a feeder in front of my backstop and easily take a deer or a hog but I don't do it. Don't want the wife telling everyone I am shooting the tame deer! I kill every skunk and raccoon that comes around, does that count?
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/19/17 06:43 PM

You can hunt on 1 acre if its not in city limits with an ordinance or any other restrictions. My cousin has killed many deer off of a 3 acre woodlot surrounded by farm land. There is also a house about 350 yards from his land. The game warden said not to shoot in that direction of the house. He also made it clear to shoot down towards the ground and do neck shots (since he's so close) so the deer drops on the spot. You don't want the deer to cross the fence.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/19/17 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter Daddy
You can hunt on 1 acre if its not in city limits with an ordinance or any other restrictions. My cousin has killed many deer off of a 3 acre woodlot surrounded by farm land. There is also a house about 350 yards from his land. The game warden said not to shoot in that direction of the house. He also made it clear to shoot down towards the ground and do neck shots (since he's so close) so the deer drops on the spot. You don't want the deer to cross the fence.

If you're this close, use buckshot for crying out loud.

Will hammer them and it doesn't travel far.
Posted By: Jungleexplorer

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/20/17 05:21 AM

I am not sure, but I think the restriction is on rifle hunting, for obvious reasons. But 6 acres is pretty small. My lawn is bigger then that.
Posted By: FeetDown

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 01/21/17 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Originally Posted By: Hunter Daddy

If you're this close, use buckshot for crying out loud.

Will hammer them and it doesn't travel far.

Was thinking similar. A 12 gauge shotgun slug or .50 cal muzzleloader would likely have the effect of nailing the deer straight to the ground, especially with a high shoulder shot.

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 02/03/17 05:26 PM

Called the Sheriff, I am cleared to shoot out there.

Any recommendations would be very helpful. I am going to put out some corn and a camera and see if any deer show up.

I will probably shoot my 7mm-08 and go for shoulder shots. There is a high berm towards the back. I can shoot into that and the bullet won't leave the 6 acres.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 02/03/17 05:37 PM

Id put out a feed block and pour half a bag spread out on the ground and put up a camera.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 02/03/17 06:42 PM

Walk perimator of land looking for trails, signs along fence, streams, creeks, edge of wooded area... oak trerd....
Pappy once said: a person with open mind, has a wider point of view ... Been lot of debates about stands next ta fences, been on leases were some have put a stand facing away from fence, confused2 that keeps the bullet on your side of fence...
Quote:
there is a high berm towards the back. I can shoot into that and the bullet won't leave the 6 acres.

Says alot... at 5'7" shooting at deer, heart, lung área, the targeted area (aproxamently 2-2 1/2 ft off ground) your bullet not gomna travel much past target, due ta point of angle... Tree stand 5' off ground increase angle, so plenty of room for arror... flag
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 02/03/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: rickt300
I have a range that goes to 150 yards that I shoot on all the time, 3.5 acres. I could put a feeder in front of my backstop and easily take a deer or a hog but I don't do it. Don't want the wife telling everyone I am shooting the tame deer! I kill every skunk and raccoon that comes around, does that count?
depends on your county, could be you are breaking the law
Posted By: RockDocJoe

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 02/03/17 09:44 PM

Maybe off topic, how far do you think the deer would travel using buck shot or slug versus your 7 mm? If you've got both, it may be worth thinking about a little bit more before next season.

Re: Rifle Hunting on 6 Acres of Land? - 02/05/17 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
Walk perimator of land looking for trails, signs along fence, streams, creeks, edge of wooded area... oak trerd....
Pappy once said: a person with open mind, has a wider point of view ... Been lot of debates about stands next ta fences, been on leases were some have put a stand facing away from fence, confused2 that keeps the bullet on your side of fence...
Quote:
there is a high berm towards the back. I can shoot into that and the bullet won't leave the 6 acres.

Says alot... at 5'7" shooting at deer, heart, lung área, the targeted area (aproxamently 2-2 1/2 ft off ground) your bullet not gomna travel much past target, due ta point of angle... Tree stand 5' off ground increase angle, so plenty of room for arror... flag

Thanks for the advice Colt!

All that math, you're a smarter man than I though! happy3 up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum