Texas Hunting Forum

Metal detectors

Posted By: N-Rut

Metal detectors - 01/10/17 10:36 PM

Can anyone here suggest a good all around metal detector. Thanks
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Metal detectors - 01/10/17 10:42 PM

https://metaldetectingforum.com/

I've been interested in the hobby myself. Haven't taken the plunge yet though.

Re: Metal detectors - 01/10/17 10:55 PM

Me either, but seriously thinking about it
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Metal detectors - 01/10/17 10:57 PM

Mine are White's MXT's.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Metal detectors - 01/11/17 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: N-Rut
Me either, but seriously thinking about it

Me too. I just seems like a fun thing to do.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Metal detectors - 01/11/17 04:46 AM

Good luck. I can't help you but it always did seem very interesting. The guys that go fishing in the rivers with magnets also seemed like a really neat thing to do too!!
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Metal detectors - 01/11/17 05:35 AM

I've got a Bounty Hunter that's not bad. Garret or Whites are really good.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Metal detectors - 01/11/17 05:46 AM

Still fairly new back into the game after several years.
My research best for the money all around detector, I went with the Garrett At Pro package with Double D coil. Been very happy with it. You would need a digging tool stronger than the one with the package deal. And a pointer is a must. Been very happy with a Garrett Pro Pointer. Once I add a Sniper coil for a second coil, I'm good for most anything I want to do. Google up Garrett AT Pro on various forums and read the reviews.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Metal detectors - 01/11/17 05:54 AM

Garret AT Pro and never look back.
Posted By: catfish391

Re: Metal detectors - 01/11/17 01:53 PM

Second on Garrett
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Metal detectors - 01/11/17 03:28 PM

I luv Mding anybody in Bell County want to get together
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Metal detectors - 01/11/17 05:11 PM

Got my pops the Garret AT Pro for Christmas, and he loves it.

Re: Metal detectors - 01/12/17 12:11 AM

Thanks for the input. I've been watching a few videos of guys hunting with them. It looks like a fun way to pass the time between seasons. Hope to pick one up this weekend.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Metal detectors - 01/12/17 07:37 PM

Mine are old whites eagles, can't beat them.......
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Metal detectors - 01/13/17 03:23 PM

I have been looking at the Garret AT Pro as well. Thought the kids would love to use it (toy really bought for dad but used under guise of kids), and they would probably fight over it too.
Posted By: SingleShotShooter

Re: Metal detectors - 01/14/17 03:01 AM

I've had Whites and Garrets both are well made units
Posted By: nonstop

Re: Metal detectors - 01/14/17 04:58 PM

I tried a Minelab Safari, it is probably a nice unit, but I couldn't find anything with it - to many settings. I have 2 Garrett GTI 2500's that I like a lot.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Metal detectors - 01/17/17 07:24 PM

If in your budget the Garret AT Pro is great. If you need something cheaper, the Tesoro Silver uMax is lighter, simple, and works really well.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Metal detectors - 01/18/17 10:48 PM

Hooker probably more about detectors than anybody. Send him a pm.

Re: Metal detectors - 01/18/17 11:50 PM

I bought a Bounty Hunter from Academy and I 'm been happy with it
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Metal detectors - 01/19/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
Hooker probably more about detectors than anybody. Send him a pm.

He told me to get the Garrett. I did. Good unit.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Metal detectors - 01/19/17 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: sallysue

I bought a Bounty Hunter back in 1978, before the new discriminators they have now.
I dug up a few military bases all over Europe with that cheepo thing.
I learned to be able to tell the difference in tones as to whether I was digging up a bottle cap or a nickle.
I had a box of Nazi buttons, medals, junk etc, and a whole box of ammo belts and misc rounds that I had dug up. My boxes of goodies "disappeared" during the move back home. I think a moving guy pocketed my treasures. But I still have a gold necklace, a few rings and a book of coins that went home in my luggage.
I could get enough change from under a swing set to buy lunch. Man that was fun.

Re: Metal detectors - 01/19/17 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: sallysue

I bought a Bounty Hunter back in 1978, before the new discriminators they have now.
I dug up a few military bases all over Europe with that cheepo thing.
I learned to be able to tell the difference in tones as to whether I was digging up a bottle cap or a nickle.
I had a box of Nazi buttons, medals, junk etc, and a whole box of ammo belts and misc rounds that I had dug up. My boxes of goodies "disappeared" during the move back home. I think a moving guy pocketed my treasures. But I still have a gold necklace, a few rings and a book of coins that went home in my luggage.
I could get enough change from under a swing set to buy lunch. Man that was fun.
Mine has been great for what I paid for it A pinpointer is really important to have
Posted By: soonerdg

Re: Metal detectors - 01/19/17 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: blazin
Garret AT Pro and never look back.

^^This...for the money this is hands down the best machine on the market. There are better machines but they're easily 3 times the price.

Re: Metal detectors - 01/21/17 03:21 AM

I ended up buying the Bounty Hunter Lone Star. I gave a Garrett pointer on the way
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Metal detectors - 01/21/17 07:00 PM

up
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Metal detectors - 01/21/17 07:04 PM

search youtube for diggin brit
Posted By: old raider

Re: Metal detectors - 01/25/17 07:00 PM

I have a Bounty Hunter but have used it enough to get good at it. Maybe when I get through winterizing my stands.

Re: Metal detectors - 01/25/17 07:18 PM

Any Bell County Mders here ?
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Metal detectors - 01/25/17 07:25 PM

I use an XP Deus. I started out with a Garrett Ace 250, and then went to the AT Pro. I really liked the AT Pro and still have it. I upgraded to the XP Deus about 6 months ago.

I recommend staying away from Bounty Hunters. If you are just starting out, Id recommend the Fisher F2. Its very easy to use, easy to learn and a very good detector. Once you use it for a while and decide you want to stick with the hobby, Upgrade to the Garrett AT Pro. Its a great all around detector, can use it in the water. It will be a little more difficult to learn, but you put the time in and it will serve you well.

Whichever detector you use, spend the time to read all literature on it and watch videos of how to use it, then spend the time to learn it. Learning how to properly use your detector is one of the most important things you need to do. It will make the difference between actually making good finds and enjoying the hobby or getting frustrated and giving it up.

As for accessories, a pinpointer is a must. I reccomend the Garrett propointer AT. Its waterproof and you can adjust the sensitivity. For a digger, any garden trowel will do, but will eventually break and have to be replaced. The fiskars brand are better for what you can buy at the store. I recommend the Lesche digger if you buy one online. They are very sturdy. If you will be detecting in yards or parks, the hand digger is a must. If you will be detecting in fields or areas where using a bigger shovel will not draw attention, a drain spade "aka Bill Dukey" will work great.

1. Always have permission when detecting on private property.
2. Check local codes and laws before detecting parks or public land.
3. FILL ALL HOLES. Learn to dig a neat plug and fill it in.
4. Always take your trash with you; leave the area better than you found it. If you dig trash, take it with you, do not rebury it.
5. As an ambassador of the sport, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.
7. Never damage or remove any historically significant or archeological treasures.
8. Always leave gates as found, and never tamper with signs or equipment.
9. Do not destroy property, buildings, or what is left of any deserted ghost towns or structures.
Posted By: possom813

Re: Metal detectors - 01/28/17 09:13 AM

I had a hand-me-down Bounty Hunter from the old man.

He bought a Garrett, 2000 model, maybe? I don't really remember the model.

Then he started working a lot, and I got ahold of the Garrett for a while. Digital screen and a lot of buttons.

I had figured out the Bounty Hunter pretty well and could discern, usually, what I was going to dig up, but still had to dig, just in case.

The Garrett had a pretty big learning curve, once I figured it out though, thing was great.

My Bounty Hunter finally crapped out about 2 years ago. The wife replaced it with a catalog Bounty Hunter that got damaged when we moved.

Haven't had the urge to replace it yet, but have casually checked out the newer White's & Fishers
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Metal detectors - 01/29/17 01:04 AM

Funny metal detector story:
When I was using my Bounty Hunter in the late '70s it had two knobs, an on-off/volume knob and a sensitivity knob. I had learned that I could indiscreetly move the sensitivity knob with my thumb and make it "beep" at will, even with no metal around.
One day the neighborhood bully (a real turd) came by and was trying to get in on the action. I moved over a spot and made the detector beep with my thumb so he could dig up something. That guy dug and dug. I would go back and check the hole every few minutes and make it beep again. We had that jerk digging a huge hole. He got flustered a few times and almost gave up but we would convince him that it must be a gun or a helmet the way it sounded. When I finally gave in he had removed buckets of dirt, with a screw driver. That hole must have been two feet across and two feet deep, it looked like a small crater. When he wasn't looking I tossed in a penny for him to find. I think of that every time I get out my detector, that was a fun day.
Posted By: old raider

Re: Metal detectors - 02/15/17 07:12 PM

I've got a Bounty Hunter and seems like every time I go out I get different sounds for the same type of metal. Guess I need more practice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum