Texas Hunting Forum

Rifles and rainy days

Posted By: 7six2

Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 04:57 PM

How many of you would carry your best, and most expensive rifle, on rainy days? I'm torn right now. I'm going to be hunting for three days and each day looks very wet. I have only one scoped rifle and its my heavy .308 target gun that I've got over $2,500 into. On the other hand I could take a Mosin Nagant with iron sights...or...acquire a 30-30 lever action with iron sights.

I expect shots to be no more than 150 yards, and I'm comfortable using iron sights; but with a scope it would be easier to ID the target (antler restrictions) then quickly take the shot. Maybe I'm thinking about this too much.
Posted By: WBT

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:02 PM

Take the scoped rifle and just wipe it down with a light coat of oil before going out and once you're back inside.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:08 PM

no you are not thinking enough.... I would be thinking wow I need a rainy weather rifle and head straight to get the the perfect all weather rifle.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:12 PM

Well.......

I would say that is a highly subjective and personal decision that only you can make. I know people who would never even consider laying their rifle on soft clean grass, and others who see them as tools to be used as needed.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:12 PM

I think you need another scoped rifle to hunt with.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
I think you need another scoped rifle to hunt with.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:18 PM

Yeah no one wants to ruin their pretty gun that you've invested thousands of dollars into. But as a hunter you know that you're not always going to be in the perfect environment and dings, etc. will happen.

As said above get another scoped rifle to hunt with.
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:37 PM

I always transport mine in a water proof gun case that my wife made me.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:40 PM

I took my wood stocked ruger (a "nice" hunting rifle) with me to Colorado.

A week of hunting, snow, 4 wheeler rides, ice, rain, mud....wiped it down with a silicone cloth after each hunt and it looked the exact same it did before I got there

Gun manufacturers sold us a lie about wood stocked and blued guns not being able to hold up in rainy or wet conditions

Don't leave it out in the rain for a week, but you will be fine using it to hunt.

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:43 PM

I know my rifle can take it as long as I wipe with oil. Its just the thought of having to unscrew it from the bedding so I can clean/oil all the nooks and crannies...then having to carefully re-torque everything and worry about affecting my groups...She shoots SWEET right now. I'm just curious if other folks would use their top-tier rifle if they had a choice. I had a scoped "hunting" rifle for a while but I sold it to get something more precision oriented.

My wife just gave me the "ok" to get a 30-30 lever action, if I don't want to use the Mosin; but it would be iron sights also.
Posted By: Western

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:48 PM

One reason it's a good idea to have bino's, scope is safest used as intended. Also, another reason both my main hunting rifles are stainless and composite.

As far as your question for right now, keep it wiped down as already mentioned, wont be the 1st rifle in history with a blued finish to see rough weather. I hunted the Rockies with blued steel for several years before going stainless, snow, ice, rain, I just kept those small packets of oil wipes in my pack and never had an issue, then a thorough cleaning when you're done.
Posted By: Jigo23

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:51 PM

Pick up a Ruger American .308 with synthetic stock for < 400
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:51 PM

Your rifle is a tool, use it as such. Just like any other tool, take care of it and you'll be fine. As mentioned above, oil or Corrosion-X is your friend. For your scope, I recommend flip open lens covers or a bikini cover. You're gonna kick yourself in the butt if you miss or make a bad shot with iron sights 100-150 yrds away.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:53 PM

No recommendation on what gun to take, but I recommend buying a few finger cots to put over the muzzle to keep water out of the bore despite what gun you bring.

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: 7six2
I know my rifle can take it as long as I wipe with oil. Its just the thought of having to unscrew it from the bedding so I can clean/oil all the nooks and crannies...then having to carefully re-torque everything and worry about affecting my groups...She shoots SWEET right now. I'm just curious if other folks would use their top-tier rifle if they had a choice. I had a scoped "hunting" rifle for a while but I sold it to get something more precision oriented.

My wife just gave me the "ok" to get a 30-30 lever action, if I don't want to use the Mosin; but it would be iron sights also.

You don't need to take anything apart. What I do is remove the bolt (lens covers on) put the bore on a folded up rag and spray down with Corrosion-X. Rest it on something safe and let the excess run off for a while. Then take a clean cloth and wipe it down good. I do the same thing with shotguns. Works good.

I don't spray any oil in my rifle barrels, only shotguns.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 05:59 PM

I pheasant hunted in the rain and mud (no comfy blind to get in) with a $2K shotgun. Didn't bother me in the least. That being said, I do keep a stainless 7 mag that's my go to rifle for nasty weather.

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 06:00 PM

So the real question being asked here is "should I take my target rifle hunting"?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 06:08 PM

Condensation can get heavy on any firearm on a cold, clear morning as the temperatures quickly rise in a deer blind or box stand. Still, I prefer to take what I consider to be my "utility" gun on those wet and muddy days.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 06:22 PM

coat everything with johnson's paste wax.
(you should be doing this with any wood
stocked firearm regardless of the weather)
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 06:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm thinking about this too much.

Maybe you haven't thought about it enough? What good is a $2500 rifle that is now so expensive that you can't use it when you want to use it?
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 06:32 PM

Wait - everyone seems to be missing a key point here. His wife ok'd him buying another gun. Of COURSE go buy that gun. You wont have to worry about keeping an obvious investment perfect, & you get a new gun! Sounds easy enough to me.
Go get you that new hunting rifle!
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 06:33 PM

Also, to answer the specific question - I'd def use another rifle for this purpose if there was a chance to use or buy a new one. I've been wanting to get a synthetic stock one myself to use in these kinds of situations in place of my early 80's 700. And thats nowhere near a $2500 rifle - just a nice pretty 700 I'd hate to scratch up.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 06:37 PM

Tikka T3 Stainless with a syn stock. The only drawback is that it may become your favorite rifle, like it did for me.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 06:59 PM

What 603 said +1...or just buy identical duplicates of everything in SS/Syn & Wood/blue same caliber/scope same everything and you are GTG come Hell or High Water...but then m,y BH just giggled when I told of MY PLAN and said "Really???" Oh Well, just another mice and men story I guess. bang
Ron
Posted By: chalet

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 07:02 PM

Nice thing about AR-15's, in my opinion, is not worrying about abusing them a little bit. If you got the ok for another gun I'd go get one.

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: maximum
coat everything with johnson's paste wax.
(you should be doing this with any wood
stocked firearm regardless of the weather)

This stuff is pricey but nothing compares in overall performance.

Renaissance Wax
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 07:14 PM

Have hunted with me Kentucky.45 in 20+ below in 3ta4 ft snow, crossed creek, bang thin ice, water was knee deep... So when got ta texas climbing a tree & sitting in rainy weather with me high-tech 30-30, twas above the norm... Gives em carector part reason they called me muyloco caveman...
Did find out, effects 10 or more yrs later on hog hunt, them bullets don't go BOOM when ya pull the trigger... rofl killed a hog with Kentucky Jr. bang forgot ta change measure on flask, had the one for my .44 postal, third less powder... Powder over 25yrs old, still only took 1 shot... i got cheap posts... rofl they even started an ignorance list flag
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 07:26 PM

I wouldn't own a gun I didn't feel comfortable using anytime, any weather.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 07:52 PM

My Winchester M70 Extreme Weather is one of my favorite rifles for just this reason. Yes I've spent some good money getting it set up, but it is a hunting rifle that I can use in any condition and not worry so much about it.
Posted By: Reata

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/23/16 10:24 PM

I don't hesitate to take my nice rifles, that's what they are for.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Your rifle is a tool, use it as such. Just like any other tool, take care of it and you'll be fine. As mentioned above, oil or Corrosion-X is your friend. For your scope, I recommend flip open lens covers or a bikini cover. You're gonna kick yourself in the butt if you miss or make a bad shot with iron sights 100-150 yrds away.

^^ this. I have 2 rifles and both are ready to run rain, shine, or snow.

I understand your concern though which I why I don't own any wood/blued rifles anymore.
Posted By: Justin T

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 12:11 AM

If you don't take your nice rifle, why'd you buy it? You can always clean it up, and remove any rust if you get any after the hunt.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 12:16 AM

Use it and take care of it.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 12:25 AM

Montana Rifle Company stainless with a synthetic stock has worked well for me in all conditions including freezing rain, but dusty and sandy actually are harder on them than water.

Posted By: MClark

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 12:46 AM

I have been looking at short range (iron sights) rain gun for deer and hog.
Stainless synthetic rifles with sights are not common. There are Ruger All Weather and Winchester Classic Stainless but cartridges in the sighted rifles tend to be large. Ruger SS barrel band front sights can be had through Midway and added by a smith.. Many rear sights are anodized aluminum and corrosion resistant.

M

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 01:14 AM

So the general consensus here is that I need to stop being a sissy about it and let her get wet. I can deal with that. Was hoping you guys would talk me into a new utility (beater) rifle...LOL!

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 01:23 AM

So the general consensus here is that I need to stop being a sissy about it and let her get wet.

roflmao Yesssr.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 01:31 AM

Snipped
....Was hoping you guys would talk me into a new utility (beater) rifle...LOL!

OK, I will be there for you.
You must go out (after Christmas craziness) and buy a new stainless rifle.
Wood and blue guns disappear like the witch in The Wizard of Oz if they get wet.

M
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 02:20 AM

Yeah hunted in steady rain all weekend.....in a TRIPOD! I cut the leg off of my neoprene waders and modified to hunt. Never got to take a shot but I could have but only ONE. Rifle stayed mostly dry the whole time.
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 02:37 AM

Get you a savage 25-06 200 dollar scope get the plastic stock oil it up this should be under $750.00 with ammo and cheep case. They shoot just as good as more expensive rifle. Just rember 3 shots then cool off when sighting in. No don't carry the heavy gun hunting at all.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 03:18 AM

I would buy a new rifle built for harsh environments, then probably another one to have a backup.
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 11:29 AM

Rem oil is your friend.
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 12:11 PM

yes his wife did say he could buy a 30-30 but does it have a scope on already or are you back to iron sights. i have several deer rifles all are blued and have wood stocks they look just as good as the day i purchased them. i m o why spend that kind of money on a rifle you can only use in texas in november when its nice outside like everyone has said oil before you leave and clean when you get back. im not going to say its a tool. i clean my guns every time i take them to the lease whether i shot them or if it is bad weather or not. its just a good practice to keep them in the best possible shape but that is how my dad raised me. everyone has there own opinion it still come back to what you decide.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

.....but I would ALWAYS recommend adding to the herd.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Yessir...I'd agree. I own a good many guns, but I would use anyone of them anytime I chose...weather be danged. That's just silly.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 02:09 PM

if its wood stocked, seal the barrel channel ect with sealer of some kind, when the hunt is over take down and clean and light oil, you will be good to go
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
So the general consensus here is that I need to stop being a sissy about it and let her get wet.

roflmao Yesssr.

Frankly, your wife just said you can buy another rifle...GO BUY YOURSELF ANOTHER RIFLE!

As for using your other rifle, I'd have no problem using it.

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 04:19 PM

I just re-read the original post and he said its his TARGET RIFLE.....meaning its 90% likely to be a synthetic stocked gun anyway.

just go hunt with it.

jeffbird......you are 100% right dust and sand is a lot harder on them than rain. We have to carry our rifles in a case when we are driving around in west texas because the talcum powder fine dust will lock up the action tighter than a bank vault
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Yessir...I'd agree. I own a good many guns, but I would use anyone of them anytime I chose...weather be danged. That's just silly.

cheers I feel the same way about my custom knives. I use every one of them, regardless of how pretty the are.
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 05:29 PM

I have a few of my grandpas guns I don't hunt with in bad conditions but all my other guns I don't care my berreta a400 has taken a lot of abuse hunting in 20 degree weather with wind and rain, getting laid down in mud my boss flipped when he saw it had mud on it and I was still shooting I just shrugged and said it's what its made for
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/24/16 10:23 PM

I carry a camo military poncho in my pack. If it rains I cover the gun with it.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/25/16 02:44 AM

I use to be picky about my guns, my dad had a couple nice brownings, they were all scratched and scuffed with nicks in the wood. I said why don't you get those redone and fixed up nice, then take care of them. His reply changed my opinion, he said son, those guns are rough caused I used them, that's why I bought em, and I can remember every scratch I put on them, and how much fun I had putting those scratches on them!

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/25/16 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: White Falcon
I carry a camo military poncho in my pack. If it rains I cover the gun with it.

I do the same whenever hunting a ladder stand or tripod. The poncho is large enough to cover myself, my gun, and where I sit. It's one of those things that stays in my bag for every hunt so that it's not forgotten when I need it.
Posted By: fritz423

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/25/16 08:17 PM

I've never owned a rifle that was pricey enough to worry about. Can't wait til I do though!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/25/16 08:29 PM

I have a great looking old Sako 270 that I hunted with for decades, but I parked it for my Tikka Stainless 260 with synthetic stock. I always wanted what I called a "mud gun", and now I have it. Hunt in the rain...no problem. Just wipe it down with a paper towel and don't worry about oil. Also got me a Ruger Hawkeye 223 in Stainless/synthetic. Very low maintenance, and truth be told, hardly any maintenance.
Posted By: BrushyHillGuide

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/27/16 03:46 PM

I'll take any rifle or shotgun I own out in bad weather if I'm hunting - including my customs. I've got no use for a gun that I can't take hunting. I'm a hunter, pure and simple and my gins are tools. I do clean them very well, though, if they get dirty or damp.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/27/16 04:26 PM

You hunting in a blind or sitting out in the rain?

Carry it to the blind in a case if in a blind and don't think twice.

More and more of the guns I buy are stainless. I like how they look and you don't have to worry nearly as much.

I doubt your target rifle is a blued/wood stock. It will be fine take it hunting.

If you get the green light to buy a new rifle from the better half I wouldn't buy an iron sight 30-30, sounds like it doesn't fit your hunting needs.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/27/16 04:26 PM

A rifle is a tool. You have a nice tool. Use your tool and take care of your tool. Easy choice! We shoot comps in foul weather all the time, and yes, they hold up just fine.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/27/16 04:38 PM

Just from reading all the comments about rain and fouling, I will be cleaning my rifle as soon as I get home LOL!!!I mean I cleaned it after shooting my buck last month, but geeze... Guess I just want to hold her again and whisper sweet nothings about next season happy3
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/27/16 07:00 PM

If you don't stroke and caress your gun often enough, she'll find someone who will.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/28/16 06:30 PM

Any of my guns will go with me in any hunting condition. Value is irrelevant.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/29/16 06:42 AM

Nooooooooo problemo! Take your rifle (IN IT'S CASE)to your blind. Uncase in blind...Hunt! If you have no case for a $2500 rifle, you are not thinking things thru... banana2

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/29/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: DH3
Nooooooooo problemo! Take your rifle (IN IT'S CASE)to your blind. Uncase in blind...Hunt! If you have no case for a $2500 rifle, you are not thinking things thru... banana2

LOL...blind...what's that?

No blind, and no feeder; just good old fashioned hunting for this po boy. I do have a climber but don't use it when my son goes with me. I don't really like being restricted to one tree...facing one direction anyways.

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/29/16 03:52 PM

UPDATE: So I had snapped out of my moment of weakness and prepared to take my target rifle; as was mentioned earlier its a synthetic stock and everything on it is built to use. But then my wife sweetened the deal for me getting another rifle; so I picked up a lever action 30-30 and sighted it in the next day. Accuracy is just fine, with its iron sights I can comfortably hit a six inch target offhand at 100 yards and at 150 yards resting on my elbows. Good enough for me since most of my hunting is done in the piney woods of East Texas. Most kills have been about 50 or 60 yards except for the last deer I shot at 133 yards offhand with the heavy gun.

So, as it turned out the 80-90% chance of rain turned out to be a few sprinkles for about 15 minutes. But I'm happy with the new hunting rifle....it's A LOT easier to tote around and better suits dense environments. Now I have different tools depending on the job.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/29/16 05:49 PM

Go get a "rainy day" rifle.... Man can't have too many guns! up

......BTW - I don't own a rifle I won't carry in any kind of weather! cool2
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/30/16 10:57 PM

I wouldn't deer hunt with iron sights, not to mention in the rain.
Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/31/16 03:01 AM

Tape the barrel and go
Posted By: mustafa

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 12/31/16 05:06 AM

A rifle is a tool. No point in having if not gonna use. Won't say what I spent on my Africa gun, but I dropped it down side of hill. Broke ebony forend, and took big sliver of wood out of stock. Also put a good gouge in the scope. Only concern was that it would still shoot. It still shoots fine, and the cosmetic issues are part of story
Posted By: a74aggie

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 01/05/17 11:03 PM

Good advice. Use it as such, just expect to spend a little more time taking care of it. you will find it is worth it.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 01/06/17 01:11 PM

Was always taught to use the correct tool for a job for the best opportunity to do the work correctly on the 1st attempt.

From the late 1960's when I started hunting, despite my own & a couple 'smith's efforts to "Weatherize" blue/wood rifles and shotguns inside and out before fiberglass and later Stainless Steel guns became available, I cannot tell ya'll how many of my guns have suffered loss of use and value in wet weather damage.

Today, I still treat my blue/wood guns to being "weatherized" with the new and better products than I had access to back in the day...but for rifles especially, as much as I love and have been successful at deer hunting in the rain I will not ever take a blue/wood gun out when I know for certain that it's gonna be a very wet day...and have owned a dedicated Wet Weather Deer shooter of some sort ever since. I've even been known to use a deer rifle to paddle a boat with when the paddle disappeared.

OTOH Occasionally getting a blue/wood gun caught in a surprise shower, heavy wet fog, or wet with snow or dew, even fell in a creek one time and had to swim/wade out while sneaking the creek's bank have been overcome...my blue/wood rifles can pretty much handle that level of wet, ...

Just Sayin, If I could only own 2 deer rifles which may happen sooner than later at my age, one of them will be a Stainless Steel in a composite stock rifle with a quality scope.... period paragragraph page ...as the 1st one will always be a blue/wood shooter. Also been known to buy 2 identical style and caliber or complimenting guns in SS/Syn & Blue/Wood at the same time or as planned, which is about where I am now in my final makeover downsizing Plan.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 01/06/17 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
So the real question being asked here is "should I take my target rifle hunting"?
Posted By:

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 01/06/17 03:36 PM

I don't care how good of a shot you are with iron sights. The human eye is only so good, and without a scope you're taking a pot-shot on anything past 50 yards. Is it really worth wounding an animal? 30-30 is worthless past 100 yards anyhow. Spend 500$ and get a decent bolt action rifle

I DO love a 30-30 though! Just inside of 100 yards.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 01/06/17 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Marc in Bastrop
others who see them as tools to be used as needed.

I'm in that crowd.^^

I'll take all of my rifles out in any weather. I did what I could to make them all "weather proof", but in very nasty conditions they will need some attention at the end of the day. If on a three day hunt I have to wipe down, and oil, every evening then that's just how it is.

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 01/06/17 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: deftsound
I don't care how good of a shot you are with iron sights. The human eye is only so good, and without a scope you're taking a pot-shot on anything past 50 yards. Is it really worth wounding an animal? 30-30 is worthless past 100 yards anyhow. Spend 500$ and get a decent bolt action rifle

Thank you for your honest opinion and that's fine if you don't feel like YOU have certain abilities, but don't assume what others can or cannot do. That being said though I don't think you have to worry about me taking long pot-shots at deer.
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 01/07/17 03:49 AM

I always take my Weatherby Lazermark with a Swarovski. I keep the barrel pointed down to avoid water from getting in the barrel.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 01/07/17 04:02 AM

Originally Posted By: deftsound

Interesting.

Four weeks ago I watched a 60 year old man hit a 10" steel plate at 300 yards with a 5" barrel .44 Mag pistol. It took him a few attempts since it was getting dark, but he got it done.

Vitals, and rifle irons at 100 yards is not that difficult for those that practice and have good, or corrected vision. The best I've done with irons is a .22lr, on a 2/3 IPSC at 200 yards, 2 for 2. And a full size 1911 .45 ACP on a 12" at 100 yards. There's plenty of better stories than that out there of great shooters using iron sights.
Posted By: jt402

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 01/08/17 04:10 AM

Respectfully disagree. I own a half dozen guns that I do not intend to get wet, but just in case they are waxed inside and out. My oldest gun, a Light 12 A-5 that I bought new in 1963, has been wet or damp dozens of times, but there is no rust anywhere on it. Proper wax, oil, and prompt cleaning goes a long way. If I know the weather is going to be wet, I don't go anymore. When younger, the weather was not much of a deterrent. I do have guns that are less valuable that get used when I know the weather could turn sour. Military type ponchos are your firearm's friend. So is Johnson's paste wax, silicone cloth, and gun oil.

Best wishes,
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Rifles and rainy days - 01/08/17 05:49 AM

I hunt from a blind so I picked up a Eberlestock G2 backpack with the built in gun scabbard, the wide hood cover and the scope and crown protector kit. Then if it's raining, I put the pack cover over it. Then I just wipe down the barrel with a silicone cloth when I take it out of the pack to help protect it when I stick the barrel out the blind window when it's raining. Then I clean my rifle when I get home whether I have shot it or not that day. I also plug the end of my barrel (if I am carrying my rifle to the blind with the sling over my shoulder) with high temp tapered silicone plugs that I use when refinishing firearms to keep twigs and debris out of my barrel. I carry a 45 when walking to my hunting blind so I don't need the rifle at the ready. If I was hunting under a tree in the rain then I would use one of my cheaper firearms with flip up scope covers and some anti fog stuff on them that we use on our polarized shades when fishing for steelhead on the river in the winter time.

Just get yourself a camo tree umbrella that wraps tight around the back of the tree. You can also use it as a ground blind. I used one for years when bowhunting in a tree stand when it was raining out. They come in different camo patterns too.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum