Texas Hunting Forum

True Axis Doe weights.

Posted By: don k

True Axis Doe weights. - 12/01/16 03:43 PM

About time to make sausage. When to LF place to shoot WT Doe. Saw an Axis doe instead. Shot her in neck with 223.Average full grown Doe Weighed with scale. Live weight 110#. Skinned and head off 98#. Gutted and legs cut off 62#.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: True Axis Doe weights. - 12/01/16 03:48 PM

Awesome! Thanks for this!

I shot a doe on the Hall Ranch in 2013 which weighed 109lb gutted but with skin, head, and legs on. Our guide and Texana Ranch foreman said it was one of the biggest doe they've seen. Is that consistent with your findings?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: True Axis Doe weights. - 12/01/16 04:04 PM

I would assume it fluctuates with age. We keep live and dressed weight records of all the deer we shoot and find the 4 YO range does are our heaviest.
Posted By: San Antonio FJ

Re: True Axis Doe weights. - 12/01/16 04:10 PM

One that I shoot was 76# gutted, I have no idea if it was average
Posted By: JMalin

Re: True Axis Doe weights. - 12/01/16 06:01 PM

We killed one on our place that was 110 live weight. The biggest doe axis to come off our place by a good 20 pounds. I killed a smaller doe two days ago and it weighed 73 pounds on the hoof. It's a damn shame to have sausage made from axis meat. That's what wt are for.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: True Axis Doe weights. - 12/01/16 06:04 PM

Well done Don, that's some good eating for sure!!

Re: True Axis Doe weights. - 12/01/16 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: JMalin
We killed one on our place that was 110 live weight. The biggest doe axis to come off our place by a good 20 pounds. I killed a smaller doe two days ago and it weighed 73 pounds on the hoof. It's a damn shame to have sausage made from axis meat. That's what wt are for.
But just think how good the sausage will be.
Posted By: rickym

Re: True Axis Doe weights. - 12/02/16 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: don k

You at least kept the backstraps right?

Re: True Axis Doe weights. - 12/03/16 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Originally Posted By: don k

You at least kept the backstraps right?
No and I even ground up the tenders. Going to stuff it tomorrow.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum