Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting clothing passed down to you

Posted By: Texas Dan

Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/15/16 07:44 PM

Hunters often enjoy mentioning old shotguns or rifles that were handed down to them by a family member. But occasionally, you find a guy who enjoys wearing his dad's or granthfather's old hunting coat or jacket. While it's something to which I can't relate since my dad never hunted, I can see where others could greatly cherish such clothing as a remembrance to the times they shared in the outdoors with their loved ones.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/15/16 07:53 PM

My father and grandfather's guns is enough for me. Probably not gonna wear my grandpas old black and red checkered shirt
Posted By: PMK

Re: Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/15/16 08:13 PM

when I was about 7 or 8, my feet were growing so fast and my dad gave me a pair of good redwing insulated hunting boots that I wore one season before I outgrew them. I passed my dad in height & weight by the time I was about 9-10 years old, so it would be hard for him to pass clothing down to me, maybe the other way around.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/15/16 08:32 PM

yeah, my dad was about half my size. I did keep a jacket of his, a hat that he quail hunted in though and I inherited all his guns. (only had one sibling, a sister who is a meth head felon that cant have any guns anyway) I gave a shotgun and pistol to one of my nieces boyfriend and his coveralls to my oldest neices boyfriend and I gave his AR-15 to my oldest niece. Everything that I end up with (still not done cleaning stuff out) I will cherish forever. No matter what it is. If I already have the same item, I'm selling mine and keeping his.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/15/16 09:07 PM

Yes but apparantly they didn't eat as much fast food back then... hammer
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/15/16 09:19 PM

I inherited my friends cammo clothes because he got fat, actually I should say fatter, than me at least grin
Posted By: Mako My Day

Re: Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/15/16 11:30 PM

My son was wearing his Grandpa's Eddie Bauer coat when he shot his first deer, made the memory extra special.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/16/16 02:32 AM

I have 2 of my Dad's old Pendleton wool shirts as well as a few of his coats.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/17/16 03:40 PM

I inherited an old coat of my Paw Paws and I think I might have worn it once. He left me his pocket watch and that's what has the most value to me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/17/16 04:13 PM

Have a bunch. As a kid we had a hunter orange hooded jacket my mother brother and I all wore when we went with dad. Dad had a hunter orange suit that was a promotional thing of some kind as it had a big ditch witch logo on the back of it that we all wore till we were too tall for it. Maybe some will consider it weird, but when my grandfather passed away the family got together and split up his stuff. My brother and I were the only ones that fit in the clothes, we took home several pairs of like new wrangler jeans and more button up and pearl snap shirts than you could count. It makes me smile now when I get dressed at the ranch and put one of his old shirts on, although there are not many left now, they are slowly getting worn out and thrown away.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Hunting clothing passed down to you - 11/17/16 05:26 PM

I was handed down my Father in Laws insulated camo coveralls a couple of years ago after he passed. He had purchased them back in 1995 to go on a hunt with me in New Mexico. Had a blizzard hit us that day and we barley made it out. Still, fond memories of us being there together.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum