Texas Hunting Forum

Meat Grinder Reccomendations?

Posted By: HVILLE HNTR

Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/09/16 06:53 PM

Thinking about purchasing a grinder for processing my own burger and chilli meat. Which ones do you guys reccomend?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/09/16 06:53 PM

The cabelas line of grinders are good.
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/09/16 07:12 PM

I just got done using my guide series .75 HP grinder that I got from Gander Mtn back in 2006. I haven't used it in a couple years and it didn't miss a beat. Ground up a bunch of elk and pork like nothing and is pretty quiet too.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/09/16 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: friocountyhunts
I just got done using my guide series .75 HP grinder that I got from Gander Mtn back in 2006. I haven't used it in a couple years and it didn't miss a beat. Ground up a bunch of elk and pork like nothing and is pretty quiet too.

I got the same one last year think it was like $100... well worth it... bought a ziplock vacuum seal at the same time from wally world great combo and saved the wallet a bit
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/09/16 08:35 PM

I bought the LEM Big Bite #12 (.75np) and it's a hoss. I'd heard too many horror stories about the smaller, mostly plastic grinders, so I spent quite a bit to get what I determined to be a pretty good one that isn't going to crap out on me. Just got a meat mixer for it too so I can do sausage a lot easier.

I really wanted a Weston but couldn't justify the extra $ for what appear to be equal grinders. I've heard good things about the new (2015+) Cabela's Carnivore series of grinders.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/10/16 02:20 AM

LEM or Cabela's commercial grinders are both good grinders. I recommend getting the biggest one that you can afford.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/10/16 02:20 AM

Depends on how many deer you think your going to grind.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/10/16 02:34 AM

We have a #32 from Sausagemaker, manual crank that was converted to an electric motor. Most of the time, we just use it manually. The grandkids can keep up with 2 adults cutting and trimming.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/10/16 11:48 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/10/16 01:57 PM

What's your budget? I might do 2 deer and 2-3 hogs per year, so I didn't need a huge commercial grinder. I got a Tasin TS-108 several years ago and it works really well, rarely clogs, etc. Back then is was about $100 but they're about $150 now. Read a lot of good stuff about the LEM brand. Academy seems to have the best prices. I'll probably pass my current grinder on to my brother and wait for the after-season clearance at Academy and get me one of the bigger LEM grinders.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/10/16 02:03 PM

If you are married, I'd recommend buying her the Kitchen Aid Mixer as a gift (for some brownie points). Then buy yourself the meat grinder and sausage attachment that goes on it. I use this, and it will grind meat faster than you can put it in the grinder. I process my own deer also. I cut up the meat and the kids want to put the meat into the grinder, so it speeds things up.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/stand-mixers/

www.kitchenaid.com/shop/countertop-appliances-1/countertop-appliances-2/stand-mixer-attachments-3/-[FGA]-400611/FGA/
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/12/16 03:31 AM

the biggest LEM you can afford
Posted By: fbchunter

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/12/16 05:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: friocountyhunts

I got the same one last year think it was like $100... well worth it... bought a ziplock vacuum seal at the same time from wally world great combo and saved the wallet a bit

I use the one from Gander Mountain also. I have ground brisket, pork butts,and wild hog many times and it hasnt let Me down
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/12/16 05:27 AM

I have a Gander Mountain .75 hp grinder. It works great and is fast. I used it today to grind a deer. I spend more time washing it afterwards, than grinding. You get what you pay for. A quality grinder starts around $200.00 or so for a small one. I bought mine several years ago. I think it was about $300.00. One advantage of a bigger grinder is that you don't have to cut the meat into small pieces.
Posted By: Greytshot

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/12/16 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
If you are married, I'd recommend buying her the Kitchen Aid Mixer as a gift (for some brownie points). Then buy yourself the meat grinder and sausage attachment that goes on it. I use this, and it will grind meat faster than you can put it in the grinder. I process my own deer also. I cut up the meat and the kids want to put the meat into the grinder, so it speeds things up.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-appliances/stand-mixers/

www.kitchenaid.com/shop/countertop-appliances-1/countertop-appliances-2/stand-mixer-attachments-3/-[FGA]-400611/FGA/

I have one of these but the meat clogs in it so bad, even partially frozen. Any thoughts on what to do?
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/12/16 10:09 PM

I use the kitchen aid grinder and it works great. I did discover that the smaller u fudge meat the better if performs. And in case u haven't, use the higher speeds. I assume the clog is happening at the entry of the auger.
Posted By: Rodd

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/12/16 10:35 PM

I have a #32 grinder with an old air compressor motor, I can grind more than I can put in it. I'm between Schulenburg and Halletsville, PM me if you want to check it out.
Posted By: Greytshot

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/13/16 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
I use the kitchen aid grinder and it works great. I did discover that the smaller u fudge meat the better if performs. And in case u haven't, use the higher speeds. I assume the clog is happening at the entry of the auger.

No it is clogging with grissel in the exit
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/14/16 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Greytshot

Grinders need service like any other tool. You may need to have the knife sharpened or the plate resurfaced or both. Make sure the retaining ring holding plate to knife is tight enough also.
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/16/16 08:48 PM

I bought a 1/2 hp Cabela's commercial grade grinder for $350 (clearance) I think it was. It worked well, but I had to cut the meat a little smaller than I thought would be necessary. I went back to Cabela's two days later to get a vacuum sealer, and they had the 1 hp model for $10 less in the bargain cave. So I swapped them out and am totally happy with the bigger unit. HUGE mouth, so no more little cuts just to get it in there. I only shop at the bargain cave when I go to cabelas.
Posted By: cva34

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/17/16 10:42 PM

We got the LEM big bite #12..its unbelievable..It will spit it out faster than I can put it in..

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/18/16 01:53 PM

Example yesterday eve I ( me only)had quartered deer on ice..de-boned and cut into pieces to grind about 30 min...Set up grinder about a couple minutes..Run meat through grinder about 10 minutes aprox 30 lbs..Wife started clean up and I cranked up seal a meal and made 7 big bags meat..about 20 min..So in ruffly 1h we were through and cleaned up..and we did not rush we in our 70s

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/18/16 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: cva34
We got the LEM big bite #12..its unbelievable..It will spit it out faster than I can put it in..

I just got the meat mixer for mine, plan to try my hand at sausage next week!
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/20/16 04:56 PM

Can't beat a good ol hand crank grinder IMO.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/20/16 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
Can't beat a good ol hand crank grinder IMO.

Yeah right. If you don't think you can beat a hand grinder you must not of used anything else.
That's like saying you can't beat a good outhouse. IMO

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 11/22/16 02:22 PM

Use a hand grinder since early 50s...We used to grind aprox 1000# a year and that LEM would have been a real asset..if my memory serves me correct it will grind 600# Pork a hour..I would not want to have a contest, hand vs LEM

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/19/17 02:09 PM

Been checking Academy website to see when the right LEM grinder goes on sale. Went there today:
http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/hunting/game--food-processing/meat-grinders
Are they phasing the LEMs out? All I can find is the big #22 on sale and the small 575 watt model.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/19/17 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Ag Hunter 78
Been checking Academy website to see when the right LEM grinder goes on sale. Went there today:
http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/hunting/game--food-processing/meat-grinders
Are they phasing the LEMs out? All I can find is the big #22 on sale and the small 575 watt model.

You might have to go to Amazon to find the meat grinder you want, it almost seems Academy keeps in them in full stock year round.
Posted By: Western

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/19/17 03:13 PM

I actually got my LEM on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond 1/2 off, only time I have ever been in there and iirc, was they were removing the LEM products IDK, they also had a bunch of Westons and Cuisinarts
Posted By: Quack Attack

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/19/17 09:20 PM

Just left academy with a #12, $303 out the door.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/20/17 02:03 AM

LEM
Posted By: Jungleexplorer

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/20/17 05:12 AM

I bought a 1 HP Browning meat grinder a couple years ago from Academy. I paid $299 for it on sale. This thing is a monster. I have put well over 1000lbs of deer and hog through it since then. It is still like new. It says BROWNING on it, but it was actually made by the RANKAM company. Great Machine if you can find one. Here is a video of it in action.

Posted By: mmurphey

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/20/17 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Greytshot

I use the Kitchen-Aid grinder attachment and have noticed it clogs if the ring holding the hole-plate on isn't tight enough: I think it allows a small gap between the plate and spinning blade so that tough stuff like grissel/silverskin/ligaments don't really get cut. They accumulate there until it clogs completely.

Typically this happens when my wife installs the grinder attachment. If it clogs while she's grinding, I just give the white threaded ring another quarter turn or so while the grinder is still running and it immediately unclogs and continues grinding. I processed four deer and a hog this season with that grinder and that trick worked every time...hope it works for you too!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/20/17 12:32 PM

I will only use the kitchen aid if I have a small amount to do. Anything in large quantities takes too long and is inefficient.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/20/17 04:14 PM

I bought a game winner #12 for $104 dollars. The thing is a beast. I ground up everything my old grinder could do. All in all I think I made 62 pounds of chilli meat in less than an hour.
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/20/17 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: djs303
LEM or Cabela's commercial grinders are both good grinders. I recommend getting the biggest one that you can afford.

2x on this.. I suggest at least a 3/4 hp you will not be disapointed

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/20/17 07:49 PM

I have the LEM Big Bite #12, 3/4 hp. I wouldn't go any less than that if you're going to do 100-200+ lbs a year. I'm lazy with prep, I just toss it all in and the thing eats it like candy. If I had to trim and cube and do all that it's just not worth it, particularly if you can just spend another $100-200 to never do it again.

I really wanted a #12 Weston, but the LEM has been great and was significantly cheaper. I hear good things about the new models of Cabela's Carnival series.

Re: Meat Grinder Reccomendations? - 01/27/17 02:28 PM

Didn't bother going to Academy since I haven't seen what I want (LEM) on sale.....weird because it seems they have a clearance every year after the season is over. Anyway, found the #8 LEM version at BPS on sale. (http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Big-Bite-Electric-Meat-Grinder-by-LEM-Products/product/1506011245/)

Glad I went last night. They only had 2 left at the Round Rock store. Pretty good deal -- regular price is $329 and I got it for $249. It's .35 hp and more than enough for the amount of meat I process every year (typically 1-2 deer and 1-2 hogs). Only bummer is I have to wait several months to use it unless I get a brisket on sale and make hamburger. Sale ends Sunday if anyone needs one.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum