Texas Hunting Forum

My dad shot his truck opening morning.

Posted By: Chunky Monkey

My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 05:54 PM

My dad was loading his 270 from the passenger side of his truck opening morning. Had one in the chamber and then push a clip into the bottom and the gun fired. Direct hit into the drivers side headrest where the bullet came apart and hit several different locations inside his truck somewhat near the headrest. Be careful out there and remember to treat a gun like it is always loaded and ready to fire. I will post pics as soon as I get some.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 05:56 PM

Was there any beer involved?

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Was there any beer involved?

No. He rarely drinks at all
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 06:00 PM

Glad he (and anyone else) is ok.....good reminder....
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 06:01 PM

magazine.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
magazine.
maybe it was a paper clip roflmao
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 06:02 PM

Glad it turned out ok with no injuries, good lesson learned on muzzle control.
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 06:24 PM

What brand of gun? Was this a gun malfunction? Glad no one was hurt.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
magazine.
maybe it was a paper clip roflmao
clap
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 06:32 PM

Glad no tragedy. Sounds like gun has problem (unsafe trigger).
Was he using truck as blind? (rule#3- keep gun unloaded till READY to use).
As mentioned, good thing #1 was observed (kinda)....
Posted By: Stub

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 06:36 PM

Is he going to do a full Head Rest mount or a Euro rofl bolt
Glad everyone is okay up
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 06:54 PM

ooooouu! scary for sure.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Glad no tragedy. Sounds like gun has problem (unsafe trigger).
Was he using truck as blind? (rule#3- keep gun unloaded till READY to use).
As mentioned, good thing #1 was observed (kinda)....

The hind plate release is in the trigger gaurd...

Didn't clear his firearm, luckily no injuries. Valuable lesson and great reminder
Posted By: redchevy

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 07:31 PM

Sounds a little foggy, what is a hind plate and why do you have to push a realease for it to put a magazine in? What gun? Was it a malfunction? or did someone have a finger in the trigger guard of a loaded not on safety gun when they were trying to put the magazine in?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 07:54 PM

Was it a Ford, chevy or Dodge? Might have been a justifiable shooting.

All kidding aside, glad no one was hurt!
Posted By: MO

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 08:10 PM

My cousin killed his transmission with one of those infamous
model 700 misfires.

MO
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 08:17 PM

More shooting related accidents happen when hunters are around vehicles, than when they are in the woods hunting.

Not once have I heard of a hunter accidentally shooting their deer stand. Vehicles, transmissions, and engine blocks are another matter.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 08:24 PM

Know someone who accidentally discharged a 7 rem mag in a box blind.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 08:31 PM

Why was his rifle loaded in the first place?? Once you are done hunting, clear out the chamber. Keep the rounds in the magazine if you want, but clear out the round in the chamber. There is no reason to have a round in the chamber at that point.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 08:32 PM

I usually chamber a round on the walk to the blind in the afternoons and back from the blind in the mornings. Never know when your going to see what your looking for.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

X2 could have been bad.

Walter
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 09:03 PM

Are his ears still ringing?
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 09:04 PM

Was it a 1 truck county?
Posted By: postoak

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 09:04 PM

I had my first AD on Sunday -- and in a box blind. I fired at a buck under the feeder. I believe in not "admiring the shot" so I quickly reloaded. As I brought my hand off the bolt handle, my longest finger snagged the trigger and "kaboom"!
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Kahuna

What?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 09:26 PM

I clearly remember the day when Dad shot Mom's car, while sighting in the rifle and resting it on the top. Scope view cleared the top, but the barrel didn't. Oh, the look on his face....
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: mrmo

What?
HUH
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 09:58 PM

My boss shot the back door of my company car from inside years ago. He never told me that he had done it until after I got it fixed. He approved everything.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: mrmo

What?
clap
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 11:00 PM

The vast majority of ADs are the result of human error. They are only funny with hindsight because there wasn't a person in front of the barrel when the weapon discharged.
Posted By: General Guts

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 11:18 PM

Don't read magazines when loading your gun
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Was it a Ford, chevy or Dodge? Might have been a justifiable shooting.

All kidding aside, glad no one was hurt!

Nice. roflmao Very glad no one was hurt.
Posted By: Tin Head

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/08/16 11:58 PM

worthless
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 12:33 AM

"The vast majority of ADs are the result of human error. They are only funny with hindsight because there wasn't a person in front of the barrel when the weapon discharged."

Uhhhh

That's why it's called an Accidental Discharge roflmao
Posted By: Marc K

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: postoak
I had my first AD on Sunday -- and in a box blind. I fired at a buck under the feeder. I believe in not "admiring the shot" so I quickly reloaded. As I brought my hand off the bolt handle, my longest finger snagged the trigger and "kaboom"!

Ouch.......
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
"The vast majority of ADs are the result of human error. They are only funny with hindsight because there wasn't a person in front of the barrel when the weapon discharged."

Uhhhh

That's why it's called an Accidental Discharge roflmao

Both human and mechanical error caused unintended discharges are accidental. What are you laughing about? I know you had to post because it's me, but you have no point.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 02:09 AM

Not laughing at a Accidental Discharge...

Should have never been one in the Pipe.

Calm down little buddy.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 02:44 AM

Speaking of the result of an "accidental discharge" ......never mind....I'd be banned.....carry on......

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 02:52 AM

I will get all the details on the rifle make and get some pics but he was getting ready to go out hunting and he chambered a round and then pushed the clip in and it fired. Don't know if the safety was off or anything but I will get the details to provide you with everything that I can. Most important is that everyone was ok but that is the 2nd truck he has shot in 10 years. Last time he leaned against the bed of his truck to shoot a turkey and blew a hole in the other side of the bed. Maybe older folks need to take hunter safety education TOO!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: wburke2010
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

X2 could have been bad.

Walter

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 05:04 AM

IMO, some guys just get a rush from carrying a loaded firearm, even when there's little chance it will be needed.

Another problem with waiting until you get back to your vehicle or camp, is the likelihood of some distraction causing you to forget to unload it. Like the case of a Houston man who shot and accidentally killed himself while removing his shotgun from its case before going to shoot skeet. He had left the gun loaded since hunting season, which ended several months earlier.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
More shooting related accidents happen when hunters are around vehicles, than when they are in the woods hunting.

Not once have I heard of a hunter accidentally shooting their deer stand. Vehicles, transmissions, and engine blocks are another matter.

Well, if nobody is around and you do manage to shoot your stand, who is going to know but you? You don't have to fill out insurance, call a wrecker, or tell your spouse about it. We know NDs happen in stands as people sometimes get injured or killed as a result. These are documented.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Well, if nobody is around and you do manage to shoot your stand, who is going to know but you? You don't have to fill out insurance, call a wrecker, or tell your spouse about it. We know NDs happen in stands as people sometimes get injured or killed as a result. These are documented.

True.

Still, if you spend a few minutes reviewing the opening summaries of the TPWD Hunting Accident Reports, which are available from the TPWD website, you will see many years when most accidents happened around vehicles, rather than in the woods.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 11:47 AM

bang Ouch.... I can't tell you how many times I've flipped the safety to shoot and the chamber was empty. I've a big habit of not loading my gun until I'm in the blind. But it has never cost me a deer, as I've managed to put one in the pipe and shoot. Every time it has happened I will laugh at myself for forgetting, but since I hunt alone most of the time I'm extra safe. I'm glad nobody was injured and hopefully a lesson learned for everyone. texas
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 03:12 PM

NO No No!!! It's NEVER an AD!!! It's a freakin ND- Negligent Discharge!!!! An accident is an unplanned, by chance event. A firearm going off unintentional is ALWAYS an ND. As working shooting comps and being around firearms, if a gun goes off unplanned, 99.9% of them are from a finger or something touching the trigger causing it to go off when a round is in the chamber. That is the negligence of the shooter/handler of the firearm, which is an ND.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 05:22 PM

True.

Still, if you spend a few minutes reviewing the opening summaries of the TPWD Hunting Accident Reports, which are available from the TPWD website, you will see many years when most accidents happened around vehicles, rather than in the woods.

I have done that. I know the data. If you take a closer look, I believe you will find a lot, if not most of those vehicle-related incidents to be intentional discharges with unintended consequences. I have also spoken with numerous hunters and been with hunters (2) when NDs occurred...none of which were ever reported. Why? Nobody was shot and no insurance claims needed to be filed. What you will notice of the TPWD reports and IHEA reports is that most of the reports only pertain to when injury or death resulted, or when a warden/leo needed to be summoned. MOST NDs happen with no injuries or death and do not necessitate the need for any sort of report filing. So Billy Joe Bob shoots a hole in the top of his plywood box blind. You aren't apt to hear about it. BJB is just going to get some duct tape or a piece of wood, patch the hole, and that will be the end of that. Little Jimmy is squirrel hunting, trips and discharges his .22 into the ground. Nobody will hear about that. Allison props her cocked and unlocked rifle across the antlers of a deer when it slides off and discharges into the woods, hitting a tree. Won't hear about that.

What you are talking about is a significant sampling bias, not necessarily a reality of when NDs occur.

And as Chad pointed out, these are most commonly NDs and not ADs. Gotta agree with that 100%. It may be an accident in that it was unplanned, but if an unintentional discharge occurred due to negligence on the part of the operator, then it is an ND. ADs, such as with the defective Walker trigger system of the Rem 700 rifle system, are much more rare.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 05:22 PM

accidental discharge, whoops

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 05:41 PM

True.

I have done that. I know the data. If you take a closer look, I believe you will find a lot, if not most of those vehicle-related incidents to be intentional discharges with unintended consequences. I have also spoken with numerous hunters and been with hunters (2) when NDs occurred...none of which were ever reported. Why? Nobody was shot and no insurance claims needed to be filed. What you will notice of the TPWD reports and IHEA reports is that most of the reports only pertain to when injury or death resulted, or when a warden/leo needed to be summoned. MOST NDs happen with no injuries or death and do not necessitate the need for any sort of report filing. So Billy Joe Bob shoots a hole in the top of his plywood box blind. You aren't apt to hear about it. BJB is just going to get some duct tape or a piece of wood, patch the hole, and that will be the end of that. Little Jimmy is squirrel hunting, trips and discharges his .22 into the ground. Nobody will hear about that. Allison props her cocked and unlocked rifle across the antlers of a deer when it slides off and discharges into the woods, hitting a tree. Won't hear about that.

What you are talking about is a significant sampling bias, not necessarily a reality of when NDs occur.

And as Chad pointed out, these are most commonly NDs and not ADs. Gotta agree with that 100%. It may be an accident in that it was unplanned, but if an unintentional discharge occurred due to negligence on the part of the operator, then it is an ND. ADs, such as with the defective Walker trigger system of the Rem 700 rifle system, are much more rare.

There is no denying the fact that if every hunter made it their practice to wait until they are settled in their stand before loading their firearm, and likewise, made sure to unload it as a "first step" before leaving, the number of shooting-related hunting accidents would drop significantly.
Posted By: Wink68

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 05:52 PM

Ok this just kills me. Why would you wait until you get to where you are hunting to load your weapon. I walk 1/4 mile to my blind. I have seen deer between my truck and blind, hogs too. What good is an unloaded rifle in the field. I call it a club.
My son and I park, get our stuff out, load our rifles and start walking. When we go home, reverse that.
Sorry for the hijack.
Oh yeah, I live in a two truck county with no AR's.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
bang Ouch.... I can't tell you how many times I've flipped the safety to shoot and the chamber was empty. I've a big habit of not loading my gun until I'm in the blind. But it has never cost me a deer, as I've managed to put one in the pipe and shoot. Every time it has happened I will laugh at myself for forgetting, but since I hunt alone most of the time I'm extra safe. I'm glad nobody was injured and hopefully a lesson learned for everyone. texas

The loudest sound in the world..... CLICK

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/09/16 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Wink68
Ok this just kills me. Why would you wait until you get to where you are hunting to load your weapon.

Life is all about priorities. While I keep three shells in the magazine, I never chamber one until I am seated and ready to hunt. If I miss a chance shot (which is most often a very low percentage shot anyway) while walking to and from the stand, so what! Safety is a much greater priority to me than killing deer.

By taking the safer route, I help ensure there will be other hunts on other days, not to mention being around for the benefit of my wife and kids.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/10/16 12:08 AM

Thank you for sharing this story, I hope that it might be a reminder to all how easy accidents can happen! I am glad no one was injured.
Posted By: maximum

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/10/16 12:53 AM

. . . If I miss a chance shot (which is most often a very low percentage shot anyway) while walking to and from the stand, so what? Safety is a much greater priority to me than killing deer.

^ ^ ^ ^ yes it is. absa-damn-lutely ! ! ! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Posted By: jetdad

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/10/16 01:17 AM

It's also much easier to have an AD if the safety is off.
Posted By: East

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/10/16 01:18 AM

this is my safety

rofl
Posted By: decook

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/10/16 12:07 PM

Ok this just kills me. Why would you wait until you get to where you are hunting to load your weapon.

Life is all about priorities. While I keep three shells in the magazine, I never chamber one until I am seated and ready to hunt. If I miss a chance shot (which is most often a very low percentage shot anyway) while walking to and from the stand, so what! Safety is a much greater priority to me than killing deer.

By taking the safer route, I help ensure there will be other hunts on other days, not to mention being around for the benefit of my wife and kids.

Dan this is my mode as well for what its worth. I can chamber a round pretty fast if I need to.
Posted By: Bluesea112

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/15/16 07:43 PM

Ok this just kills me. Why would you wait until you get to where you are hunting to load your weapon. I walk 1/4 mile to my blind. I have seen deer between my truck and blind, hogs too. What good is an unloaded rifle in the field. I call it a club.
My son and I park, get our stuff out, load our rifles and start walking. When we go home, reverse that.
Sorry for the hijack.
Oh yeah, I live in a two truck county with no AR's.

I second what ^ he ^ said. My hunt begins the moment I step out of the truck.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/15/16 08:37 PM

NO such thing as an accidental discharge unless it was a manufacturing defect like Remington had with some 700's years ago. Everything else is a negligent discharge caused by inattention, excitement, unsafe practices, poorly maintained safeties and triggers, etc.

I NEVER load my rifle until I'm ready to hunt. If I'm spot/stalking or walking and rattling, I may load one in the chamber but the safety is on and the bolt handle is up. And I've trained myself over many years to keep my booger hook extended and out of the trigger guard until I'm ready for the shot. But I hunt out of a stand or a high rack about 90% of the time.

There is absolutely no reason to load a rifle before you are seated in the stand or high rack, EVER. Glad your Dad is ok.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/15/16 09:31 PM

I drive around with a bullet in the chamber safety on. With either a .22 or .30 .30 in a given pickup. I have shot a boat load of coyotes and hogs out checking fence or cows I would say I never could have if I had to stop and load. For raising both cattle and deer, killing coyote and hogs is paramount to me. An unloaded gun is a no brainer but in the hands of experience, and practice I think its just as safe setting idle. Like many said 99.9 percent of ND are just that negligent human error. I have been doing this since I could drive and handling guns since I can remember and never shot by mistake. My father has the exact same record. I handle any gun as if it is loaded anyhow. So what's the difference. If I have a kid around it is a different story until they are old enough to respect and keep their hands off. If I get old and shaky or start making mistakes in other arenas I will stop the practice until then I see no harm in it.

To me walking in the field with a loaded rifle with more than two people could be dangerous but what about quail, dove, and duck hunters? Should they throw shells in right before a flush or flight comes in? Climbing in to a blind I can see when alone how that is good practice to be unloaded but other than that practice good gun safety and treat every gun as loaded.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/16/16 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
NO No No!!! It's NEVER an AD!!! It's a freakin ND- Negligent Discharge!!!! An accident is an unplanned, by chance event. A firearm going off unintentional is ALWAYS an ND. As working shooting comps and being around firearms, if a gun goes off unplanned, 99.9% of them are from a finger or something touching the trigger causing it to go off when a round is in the chamber. That is the negligence of the shooter/handler of the firearm, which is an ND.

100% correct.
Working in the firearms industry I have seen very few guns that "just go off". It is always operator error.
Remington is the only company that had verifiable non trigger pull discharges. And there were actually very few of those.
One of the most unbelievable things I have seen happen is a guy holding the trigger down while sliding the bolt home. Never gave figured that one out.
I'm glad the OPs dad and everyone else is ok but I wouldn't put the model on here. You will start a pile on thread.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/16/16 03:25 PM

"Unintended discharge" is the most accurate term for a starting point. Next step in analysis is "why," which comes down to two core options - mechanical failure, operator failure, or a mix of both. Regardless of why or how a UD occurs, always keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction is the responsibility of the person holding it. Always, always remain mindful of where the muzzle is pointed.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. - 11/16/16 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
I drive around with a bullet in the chamber safety on. With either a .22 or .30 .30 in a given pickup. I have shot a boat load of coyotes and hogs out checking fence or cows I would say I never could have if I had to stop and load. For raising both cattle and deer, killing coyote and hogs is paramount to me. An unloaded gun is a no brainer but in the hands of experience, and practice I think its just as safe setting idle. Like many said 99.9 percent of ND are just that negligent human error. I have been doing this since I could drive and handling guns since I can remember and never shot by mistake. My father has the exact same record. I handle any gun as if it is loaded anyhow. So what's the difference. If I have a kid around it is a different story until they are old enough to respect and keep their hands off. If I get old and shaky or start making mistakes in other arenas I will stop the practice until then I see no harm in it.

To me walking in the field with a loaded rifle with more than two people could be dangerous but what about quail, dove, and duck hunters? Should they throw shells in right before a flush or flight comes in? Climbing in to a blind I can see when alone how that is good practice to be unloaded but other than that practice good gun safety and treat every gun as loaded.

I drive around a lot on the ranch with a loaded rifle also but not a bolt action. Single shot encore with extra heavy hammer spring. Never cocked and half time breach is open.

All bolts rifles in my truck have bolt open
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum