Texas Hunting Forum

Wasp spray is weak

Posted By: ELKMTB

Wasp spray is weak - 10/31/16 03:00 PM

What happened to wasp spray? Used to be that when you hit them they died instantly. Now they crawl around for an hour or so before they die and sometimes even fly off. Are yellow jackets tougher than other bees or red wasp?
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 10/31/16 03:01 PM

put gas in a water squirt bottle. Dead before they hit the ground and you hardly use any.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 10/31/16 03:04 PM

I don't have problems with wasp spray and find it incredibly effective. If you are doing this in deer blinds get a fogger and set it off and come back in an hour.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 10/31/16 03:09 PM

Lots of things get weaker as time marches inevitably on. frown

But as far as wasp spray, I've had the best luck with the Raid brand.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 10/31/16 03:24 PM

Problem is genetically modified wasp (super bugs) have developed an immune system to the most deadly poisons out there eeks333
Reports from around the world have them carrying small children and animals off, really grin

All kidding aside, this stuff works great shoots a powerful stream quite a distance and the wasp are toast up

Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 10/31/16 04:22 PM

IF you don't need to spray 20' then you have other choices.

I use wasp spray only when I have to spray a stream way up under an eave of the house.

Everywhere else, (deer stands, around the shop, outbuildings) any place I can get within 10'of them I use Berryman's B-12 Carb spray. It puts them down right there.

www.berrymanproducts.com/products/cleani...e-body-cleaner/

No flying off, no crawling around...just drop and die.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 10/31/16 04:40 PM

If I can easily get to the nest, coffee can filled with hot water and Dawn dish soap works well. I have a few cans of the 20' variety and it is extremely deadly as well.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 10/31/16 04:44 PM

I use the coffee can filled with dish soap if its somewhere low enough that I can hit it.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 10/31/16 09:39 PM

Raid spray has done me well in the past with wasps. I'm allergic to their bites and swell up big, but Raid spray has been my choice. You might not be hitting them good enough. lol
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 10/31/16 10:02 PM

Spectracide Commercial works really well and fast. Most die in a couple of seconds. One or two may fly off but they never come after you, they go to die. Make sure to get the that says "Commercial" on the can. They also have a "Professional" version that is safe for electrical equipment but I found it does not work as fast as the other.
Make sure to shake well before use. Maybe you need to do that with the brand you have now.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 01:50 AM

I have probably killed 30-40 nest this year alone with spray and they last about 10 seconds and die - not sure what you are using but every brand I buy works well
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 03:16 AM

I agree, the stuff you get now is different. Doesn't hay Pyrethrin in it. Barrymans carb cleaner is the best and starting fluid works just as good.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 04:08 AM

Sounds like the lighter fluid these days...we don't use it much, but got some for a camp fire the other day and it was pretty sad.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 04:09 AM

I usually send my wife after the nest, I'll have to ask her what works best.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 08:07 AM

Yellow strips in Sept makes for no surprises in Nov.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: DPirates80
Raid spray has done me well in the past with wasps. I'm allergic to their bites and swell up big, but Raid spray has been my choice. You might not be hitting them good enough. lol

Same here. RAID in the BLACK can is awesome. Yes, they crawl around for a minute or so but they seldom fly afterwards. Been using it for years.
Posted By: huntindude

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 12:13 PM

RAID
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 12:20 PM

Heck I forgot about this for a second, but I killed a rat with raid wasp spray a few years ago, that stuff is bad medicine.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 12:30 PM

You gots to chake the can!

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 03:33 PM

I'll shake the can, but I have soaked them down and then watch them fly away. Seems like it did say will not conduct electricity on it so maybe I got something weak.

You guys that smoke, Got to be careful using the starter or Berrymans - LOL flame

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 03:35 PM

What are yellow strips?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ELKMTB
What are yellow strips?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hot-Shot-2-29...shot+pest+strip
Posted By: therancher

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 04:34 PM

Wet years are great for wasp production. I know uvalde completely runs out of foggers and spray this time of year. Incredible how many wasps there are down there. I use foggers in the blinds.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 07:28 PM

Gas

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/01/16 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Heck I forgot about this for a second, but I killed a rat with raid wasp spray a few years ago, that stuff is bad medicine.

Hear Ya!

I did the same thing with a can of Brake Cleaner. I opened one of my portable buildings that I keep garden tools in...and saw a large field mouse (almost as big as a rat) run up along the top plate of the wall and stop in the corner.

There was a can of brake fluid there on the floor so I soaked him down real good and that mouse dropped to the floor, wiggled for about 15 seconds and expired.

Didn't expect that! I was hoping he would just run out of the building, but it killed him in less than 30 seconds.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/03/16 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
If I can easily get to the nest, coffee can filled with hot water and Dawn dish soap works well. I have a few cans of the 20' variety and it is extremely deadly as well.

I put the dish soap/water in a spray bottle, then after i wet em all down, I can get my windows really clean too. roflmao
Posted By: elstone

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/03/16 02:10 AM

Second Spectracide Commercial or Pro. I use the Pro because I can pick it up at Home Depot. Always have a can in the truck and several at the ranch.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/03/16 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: copperhead
I usually send my wife after the nest, I'll have to ask her what works best.
lol
Posted By: pine knott

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/03/16 06:50 PM

Raid and Black Flag work well on wasps but won't cut it on yellowjackets. B-Boper deadly
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/03/16 07:41 PM

whatever you do, don't get that B12 in your eyes! Thought I may never see again!

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/03/16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthTXhunter07
whatever you do, don't get that B12 in your eyes! Thought I may never see again!

Know what you mean. I was cleaning a carburetor from one of my chainsaws with B12 one time and some of it squirted back up through one of the tiny holes in the carb body right into my eye.

Extremely painful. Even the droplets that just hit my face...burned. No wonder it takes down wasps so quickly.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Wasp spray is weak - 11/04/16 03:06 PM

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hot-Shot-2-29...shot+pest+strip [/quote]

This stuff works the best. Just make sure you put it out side before you get in your blind and leave door open about 1 min to air it out because its made for a larger sq footage then a 6x6 or put it in a zip lock bag.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum