Texas Hunting Forum

Food Plot Advice Needed

Posted By: Land_Man

Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/08/16 10:17 AM

Thinking about bringing my walk behind tiller and making a small food plot at our place. Prob about an acre or so. What would be a good crop to grow that requires very little maintenance and that would take off pretty quick? I've never tried this so talk to me like I don't know what I'm doing hahaha
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/09/16 02:44 AM

I'd do winter wheat. We threw some down the afternoon before a good soaking rain, and it's already up after a week. Throw it down, put some high nitrogen fertilizer on it after a couple weeks, and call it good.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/09/16 04:37 AM

Also, those ready made food plot packages work well. They are just too expensive for plots of any size. Lots of turnips in them
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/09/16 01:54 PM

For a acre, I would throw out 100 lbs of oats. They grow well with no maintenance at all. Would do better with fertilizer, 13-13-13 also at 100 lbs per acre, but will grow without any. Will come up 10 days after first rain. Will lay in the ground until the first rain with no problem. However, with oats or anything that you plant you should cover them up. oats need to be 1/4 - 1/2 inch under the ground. A easy way to cover them after you till and broadcast the seed is to simply drive over the plot with your truck pulling a 6"X 6" timber behind you. It will move enough dirt to take care of what you need. But get it in the ground as soon as you can. On second thought, I would plant 150 lbs per acre as being a small plot, it is going to get hammered by the deer, so over seed just a little no matter what you decide to plant. I am not a fan at all of the packaged ready made seed bags that you can buy. I don't think you get your money's worth at all with them.
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/21/16 06:25 PM

A plot that size in wheat is destined to fail if you have many animals around. They will eat it to the dirt in short order! You could plant some brassicas that need to die to convert the starch to sugar IF you have enough water to grow it.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/21/16 06:34 PM

A lot depends on what part of Texas you are in. East or north east I use wheat and clover mix, ( red or white clover). West we use wheat, barley or oats, they are a little more drought tolerant.
Posted By: MRR

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/22/16 04:43 AM

one acre with a walk behind tiller is pretty ambitious
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/22/16 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: MRR
one acre with a walk behind tiller is pretty ambitious

Yeah it is!
Posted By: spg

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/22/16 06:59 PM

Bring some gas
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/27/16 07:26 PM

Rye grass. We do it every year in a 2 acre plot. Very small seed and germinates easily.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Food Plot Advice Needed - 10/27/16 07:57 PM

oats and rye...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum