Texas Hunting Forum

Hunters Ed???

Posted By: lcbl75771

Hunters Ed??? - 10/01/16 08:51 PM

My son needs to take Hunters Ed course and he is going to do it online through one of the sites listed on TPWD. My question to anyone who has done the online course is do you have to complete the entire course in one sitting or can you break the course down over multiple days? Thanks
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Hunters Ed??? - 10/01/16 10:27 PM

When I took you you can break it up... mine was a 1 day online course and 1 day at gander mountain in Tyler
Posted By: Red D

Re: Hunters Ed??? - 10/01/16 11:49 PM

First part - You can break it down in as many days as you want.
Second part though is a 1 day/full day
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hunters Ed??? - 10/02/16 02:15 AM

You didn't mention you son's age. If he is 16 or under, he has to take the classroom course, which is offered with two options. He can take the one day classroom course, or the combination classroom and field day offering. If he is 17 or older, he can take the online course without the need for any classroom instruction. But of course, he can also take either of the classroom options if prefers classroom over online, which some people do.
Posted By: JH117

Re: Hunters Ed??? - 10/02/16 01:29 PM

I took mine online last year and broke it up over 3 days. You don't have to sit through classes anymore. It was just a lot of videos and quizzes. I believe it took about 2 weeks for the license to come in, but in the mean time you can print a temporary.
Posted By: cblackall

Re: Hunters Ed??? - 10/03/16 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
You didn't mention you son's age. If he is 16 or under, he has to take the classroom course, which is offered with two options. He can take the one day classroom course, or the combination classroom and field day offering. If he is 17 or older, he can take the online course without the need for any classroom instruction. But of course, he can also take either of the classroom options if prefers classroom over online, which some people do.

I believe your son can take the online course under the age of 17. He just has to attend a "field day" to get the hands on portions. I think TPWD has a list of locations listed throughout the state. Just find a location close to you that fits your schedule. The online portion is at your own pace, the field day is one day. If he's 17 or older, everything can be done online.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum