Texas Hunting Forum

About to Hunt Aoudad near Terlingua, any tips?

Posted By: Mfloski

About to Hunt Aoudad near Terlingua, any tips? - 09/23/16 01:54 AM

I booked a self guided MulieMike hunt two years ago to hunt last year with my BIL....then our wives both turned up prego due within weeks either side of the hunt date!! MM was super awesome and we were able to push it out to this year! We leave next week and I couldn't be more excited!!!!

For those who have done it, any tips, pointers or suggestions that could help us be successful?
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: About to Hunt Aoudad near Terlingua, any tips? - 09/23/16 02:15 AM

If you aren't already in good physical shape, it's too late to do anything about that. It's very rugged terrain. Be prepared to hike & glass, hike & glass, & then hike and glass some more. Stay plenty hydrated and refuel often. Would highly recommend a hydration bladder pack. One regret I had was not bringing some very light weight gloves. We did a ton of climbing up and down rock ledges and the rocks are all extremely sharp and jagged edged. 'My hands were cut up and bleeding after only a few hours. I would have never thought to bring some breathable light weight gloves but they will be a life saver. My hunt with MM was guided & was by far the most rugged and physically demanding hunt I have been on. They are there, you just have to find them, get to them and then shoot one. Be comfortable with 300+ yd shots. I have only hunted them once so I'll let someone else chyme in with more experience. I shot mine mid-day and they were tucked up against a 200ft cliff underneath a shaded rock ledge/cave, temps in the mid 90s. Once you go, you'll be hooked. Good luck to you.
Posted By: passthru

Re: About to Hunt Aoudad near Terlingua, any tips? - 09/23/16 02:43 AM

Find the den of a pack of coyotes. Dump the carcass near it.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: About to Hunt Aoudad near Terlingua, any tips? - 09/23/16 02:23 PM

I went on an Aoudad hunt with Mulie Mike a couple of years ago. Mike and his guts were absolutely great and did everything they could to get me into some Aoudad. The hunt was very successful.

We did a lot of climbing and hiking in very steep terrain. Theringworm offered a good amount of suggestions. Take good glass and I suggest a good walking staff which I found very helpful. If possible, take a backup rifle and leave back at the camp. I had a rifle that was dropped on a hunt and had some scope sighting issues. My backup rifle was my solutions for that problem. When your paying good money for a hunt, have a plan B!

Also, I would watch as many videos on Aoudad hunting and get very familiar with what they look like in the wild. They like to sit in cracks and crevasses and they blend into the terrain. You can glass over them without spotting them if you don't know what your looking for.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum