Texas Hunting Forum

Who hunts alone

Posted By: PaulsBunyan

Who hunts alone - 09/18/16 11:35 PM

Who hunts alone? For whatever reasons being work schedule or just having bad luck in having a good hunting buddy?
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/18/16 11:44 PM

I do often,
It is good therapy, just me, God, and the critters
After doing 80 hours in 5 days, there is nothing better than some time alone to unwind.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/18/16 11:50 PM

I have in the past hunted alone most of the time for what ever reasons. This year I have had the privilege of hunting with my daughter which is a special treat.
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/18/16 11:54 PM

I almost always hunt with someone but this year I will probably be doing a lot of hunting by myself. The reason is because I got a place to hunt for doing some work for the owner and I can't take anyone. Therefore, I will be going solo. Kind of sucks though because I will have to pull my harvested animal out by myself and if something were to happen then I'd have to figure a way out on my own.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 12:05 AM

Many times because there is not anyone there usually. Don't mind it at all, there are times in the evening when a little company would be nice. That is when you have another scotch and listen to the coyotes.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 01:14 AM

I pretty much do. Other than opening day. The other guys don't come. I guess I shouldn't complain, I have the place to myself. But I do get a little scrared of the dark. "Little girl ghosts" is what I fear.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 01:20 AM

I am always alone when hunting. Most of the time there will be people on the lease or camp but I am also off every other Monday so I am usually alone Sunday evening and Monday.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 01:26 AM

The other guys work, so if I'm there on the weekend, they're there and are good company for the most part. I try to start, or stay, through a weekday - then nobody makes me rush my cigar and libation(s) in the evening. I always have a way to communicate in case of some emergency. No cell coverage out there, so it's wifi by the owner's house, the cabin phone (if the ranch hand next door remembers to plug it in in his room) or the InReach. If I'm alone, I always write down the general area I'm hunting, a.m. and p.m., and leave it on the table in the cabin.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 01:29 AM

I do most of my trips to the SHNF alone and if I do meet a buddy we just go to separate spots and text each other and meet afterwards.

I have to admit walking back through those woods in the dark can get spooky for me sometimes especially since I have heard some weird sounds coming from my hunting area.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 01:35 AM

I've always hunted alone,but there are people that I tell where I'll be and when I'll be back. I guess if I didn't show back up in a few weeks,they might ask someone to look for me or what's left of me.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 01:51 AM

We have a washer system at camp. When you are there you put your washer on the board for your spot number and then remove it before you leave. Helps everyone know who is out hunting. Of course if you are alone then it doesn't really matter much grin
Posted By: bigbroke12

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:02 AM

every time! love the solitude... I bring my son as much as possible but every once in a while, I do like the brother and his kid and or a friend out, but there's nothing like the solitude of your own place!
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:03 AM

Now that my boys are grown and gone, I prefer to hunt alone. I've just always been that way.
Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:06 AM

I like hunting by myself but last year my wife went with me and that was fun too. I'd like to get the kids into it when they're ready but will always enjoy my alone time.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:08 AM

I enjoy the actual hunting time alone,but at camp I love good company.
Posted By: bigbroke12

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:09 AM

well said jorge!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:15 AM

90% of the time im alone. Otherwise im with the wife and shes the shooter
Posted By: Erny

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:25 AM

I enjoy hunting alone. It seems like I always do better since I don't have to worry about what other people are doing. I do enjoy hunting with kids or first time hunters. I have had several people get there first deer with me, which makes any hunt special.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:27 AM

Never. I haven't done the shooting in 25 years. If wife or grandkids aren't available I don't go. Course I probably hunt more than anyone on the forum and kill less. At least 4 days a week throughout the season. grin
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: jorge

This is the way I am most the time, unless my kids go with me.

There are still times that I will be alone all weekend and there isn't anything wrong with that either. Sometimes it is a great escape from it all.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 03:15 AM

I may have misunderstood. I always hunt alone. But would like someone else to at least go, for a beer and campfire stories.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 03:22 AM

I do both, but I enjoy hunting alone more and more as I get older.
Posted By: nak

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 05:07 AM

About 3/4 of my pig hunting is alone.

I always bird hunt with friends.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 05:34 AM

Try to hunt alone. I hate fighting over who is going to shoot the deer! grin

With 6 of us on the lease, I always rather there someone be there to help out and shoot the bull with.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 07:07 AM

I love hunting alone, and most of the time I am alone. My schedule makes it hard for others to be out when I'm able. I'm a legend in my own mind when I'm alone. I'm also the only one that knows (besides GOD) how far that shot was. If I leave the dishes till the next day who knows? Some my best hunts have been alone and nothing against the people I hunt with either. elmer
Posted By: HS2

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 08:25 AM

I enjoy hunting alone. I'm not much for socializing and drinking with the guys. I'd rather get some alone time and watch the outdoors wake up in the morning.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 12:39 PM

I did fill trips and hunted alone way too often last year. I do like doing those things alone, but it's not a great idea being alone 7 hours away from home and 1.5 hours from the closest town.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 12:51 PM

Have many times before. I enjoy hunting with my family and friends much more than I do by myself. Not that hunting alone would keep me from going but id rather do it with others.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

There are still times that I will be alone all weekend and there isn't anything wrong with that either. Sometimes it is a great escape from it all.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
Originally Posted By: txshntr

up
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:16 PM

I don't care much for hunting alone. I also don't get too excited about deer hunting out of a box blind. I love bird hunting because it's a social event.
Usually I let one of the landowners sons kill my deer for me. I like to cook and take care of the whiskey at camp just to get away.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:35 PM

I have hunted alone for a long time, 20yrs maybe, now the family hunts with me but mostly the boy. I enjoy hunting with the family more than I expected. up
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 02:41 PM

I prefer to hunt alone most of the time, unless one of my nephews wants to go, or my best friend. We've been friends since we were 4 and hunting buddies since we were old enough for our dad's to take us to the lease (they both hunted together for 25 years before we were born). People at the lease always look at us funny because there are several times every season we go sit in the same blind. Due to our work and family schedules we don't get together near as often as we used to, so sometimes just sitting in the deer stand drinking a few beers and catching up is what we do!
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 03:06 PM

If my sons aren't going then I hunt alone.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 03:57 PM

I have hunted alone except when son can go. I enjoy being alone out hunting and at camp for days at a time.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 04:05 PM

i am always alone at my spots in texas, but they are close enough that i drive back home every night. i just started hunting out of state with a group for a week last year and it was blast.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 04:48 PM

i don't worry too awful much about animals
and mother nature. it's the 2 legged pinheads
that worry me when i'm by myself. in the n. forests
and the wma's there are some folks that shouldn't
be loose in the world. i'd be worried about someone
making a "hail mary" or a "soundshot" and hitting
me even with a vest. these days i think someone
that accidentally hit you would be inclined to
run off and leave you or even finish you off to
avoid jail.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 04:49 PM

most always used to, now with old age, would rather have someone around
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 06:10 PM

Much more often than not I am alone - by preference.

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: maximum
avoid jail.

That's how I feel pretty much. Not really afraid of the dark or being alone. More worried about who's waiting for me in the parking lot either early in the morning or at dark when I'm going to my vehicle ...I may also add I hunt corps land so having a pistol for self defense isn't allowed. All I have is a bow or crossbow lol.
Posted By: don k

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/19/16 10:48 PM

I hunt alone or by myself.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/20/16 12:42 AM

I have hunted alone for most of the years I have been hunting. I hunted in West Texas and Kansas most of the time alone. In West Texas there are others hunting at times but I have hunted alone quite a bit. For whitetails, I pretty much hunt alone most of the time these days.

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/20/16 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: PaulsBunyan
Originally Posted By: maximum
avoid jail.

That's how I feel pretty much. Not really afraid of the dark or being alone. More worried about who's waiting for me in the parking lot either early in the morning or at dark when I'm going to my vehicle ...I may also add I hunt corps land so having a pistol for self defense isn't allowed. All I have is a bow or crossbow lol.

a while back i was the only one in the parking area at a
wma. coming back i could hear someone talking low and i
walked slow off to the side of the trail to where i could
see with my monocular. there were 3 methhead looking dudes
in an old truck, 2 in the cab and one sitting up on the tool
box. i figured they were waiting to see who came out and
got in my truck. it finally got dark enough i guess they wanted
to make the beer store before it closed up because they left.
they didn't pick anyone up, they were just sitting and looking.
that's the kind of stuff that bothers me.

p.b. be discreet with your handgun and it likely won't cause a situation
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/20/16 01:45 AM

It didn't start out being intentional, but I have hunted for the past decade, for the most part, alone. Was able to hunt for many years with a great group of 8 in central Texas, then circumstances changed, and the ranch was sold breaking up the group.

I then tried getting on a lease with some guys who had already been on it for a few years, and I always felt like a guest, so I decided to hunt it mostly during the week, when I could be alone and didn't have to worry about others' rules or opinions on trivia. I also had a great opportunity on a friend's ranch in OK, but it just wasn't mine, as much as I appreciated it.

Finally decided to buy a small place, and set it up like I wanted. I enjoy having friends come and hunt, but 90% of time it is just me, and I enjoy it that way. No hurry and no pressure. I hunt when and where I want, shoot what I want, and manage the place how it works for me.

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/20/16 01:46 AM

Wow man that's pretty scary stuff right there. nothing tops my favorite hunting spot turning into a murder scene a few years ago. Some guys scouting found a body out there not too far from the parking area. Never found out exactly what the deal was with that but rumor is it was either drug related or having to do with a prostitute or something. Never found out.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/20/16 03:50 PM

I have for a long time, enjoy the solitude. I am also very fortunate to have some great hunting neighbors that are fun to have hang with drink7 Neat thing about everyone having their own place, if you want to BS with someone there is usually an ear to bend, if not then just stay at your place up

Another advantage especially for a light weight like me that goes to bed early, there is usually always someone at a deer camp that is loud and stays awake real late with the music blaring, you do not have to deal with that hammer

Good luck hunting everyone cheers
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/20/16 03:56 PM

For whatever reason I've always had better success when hunting or fishing alone and I find it very peaceful to be sitting on a bank at night fishing alone or skinning a deer under the lights of the skinning rack with nothing but complete silence.

Hunting with my young son and seeing his reaction to wildlife gives me enjoyment as well.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/20/16 05:23 PM

I agree with others. Ain't scared of the dark or the animals but it is the two legged homosapien that concerns me and has me lock the camper door (at some camp locations) carry and sleep with a knock down friend that has anywhere from 7-13 punches, depending on which friend of my hand gets to go that trip.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/20/16 06:05 PM

I hunt alone sometimes, but always carry my phone and check in a lot and try to be extra careful.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/20/16 06:37 PM

I guess I have come full circle, for years I couldn't wait till my father decided I was old enough to hunt in my own stand, and then on my own, completely. For the next 20 or so years I did both (family property that several people use), but always seemed to enjoy it better, by myself. So I would go during the week, late in season, etc.. My son and I never hunted together much, because of his psycho mother, and that may have had something to do with it.
Then my dad had a triple bypass in '06, followed by a spinal fusion, and my mother just wouldn't let him go. So one day I got a call from my dad, and he said " remember all those times when you used to ask me to take you to the woods? well now I am asking you to take me" For the last 10 years that is how it has been, and I have never enjoyed hunting more. An added bonus, now that Ty (my son) is grown up he joins a couple of times a year, as does my brother.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/20/16 11:21 PM

I actually enjoy hunting alone and do so quiet often. When I go on the weekend this year my best friend, wife, will be tagging along which I'm looking forward to but I enjoy hunting during the week when things are quieter...I tend to see more and better bucks when there are fewer people there.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/21/16 03:16 PM

More times than not i hunt alone now. My FIL used to go with me every time, but he's pushing 85 now. I enjoy being up there with him and also without him. I sometimes invite a friend to go with me, but it seems like I'm always having to make concessions for him (he needs to hunt the blind (best spot) because he doesn't feel comfortable climbing a tree stand ans he snores pretty bad.

Time by myself is something that I never get at home, so it's nice to get it at the farm.

JR
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/21/16 03:24 PM

I hunt by myself quite a few times during the season and enjoy it.
Posted By: Tex68w

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/21/16 03:25 PM

I tend to hunt Quail by myself, simply don't have many hunting buddies in the area that care to join me, that part I simply don't understand.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/21/16 04:32 PM

I quail hunting alone if you don't include the dog.

Duck hunting am always with a group.
Posted By: texaspirate

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/21/16 07:28 PM

I do, but its never as fun... I deer hunt alone, but birds and so on... its just no fun without a buddy
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/22/16 08:18 PM

I used to almost exclusively. Now my son goes with me. I still occasionally dove hunting by myself.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/23/16 02:26 PM

Hunting alone can be very therapeutic. I enjoy being at by myself at times.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/23/16 11:51 PM

I do.

I swear Sasquatch, every bobcat in the county, and the Fouke monster are watching me walk in and out in the dark.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/24/16 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Grandpa Lee
I tend to hunt Quail by myself, simply don't have many hunting buddies in the area that care to join me, that part I simply don't understand.

Get some good dogs and you'll have all the friends you want.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/24/16 02:02 AM

I enjoy deer hunting alone, but like dove/bird hunting with buddies.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/24/16 02:15 AM

Until last year I hunted alone 95% of the time. My wife has started going with me now and I like the company.
Posted By: 4dog

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/24/16 02:21 PM

Prefer alone...stay as long as i want or leave when im ready to...hate it when someone else dictates my hunting schedule.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/24/16 04:37 PM

When I hunt alone I prefer to be by myself. Have my own place about an hour away and let a few friends and family hunt it. They all generally tag out and/or are more into football by Thanksgiving. I give it a few weeks to calm down and hunt Christmas to Closer. Just about every year I'll take a buck none of them ever saw. This has been going on for about 25 years now and they still haven't figured it out, which is fine with me.
Posted By: DHS274

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/25/16 02:30 AM

When I hunt alone...I prefer to be by myself.

I wish my fiends were more disciplined big game hunters. Dove hunting they are fine. But deer hunting; they don't put in the time during the year, and when in the woods they don't sit still, they cough, hack, fidget, and may as well just play grab [censored] with the raccoons.
So I have hunted alone for many years.

I still share my venison with them, 'cause I got friends in low places.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/26/16 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I do often,
It is good therapy, just me, God, and the critters
After doing 80 hours in 5 days, there is nothing better than some time alone to unwind.

Amen brother!
Posted By: tholloway

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/26/16 11:02 PM

since i hunt public land, nobody wants to go with me, and since its been a couple of years since i have harvested anything,. sometimes i wished it was like it was on t.v., but i like the solitude
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/27/16 12:29 AM

popcorn as pappy once said: He who hunts alone, thar memorries die with them ... cheers many a times huntsolo bang memorries take with to me grave... Stay Safe... flag
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/27/16 05:28 PM

My best hunting occurs during the week, almost always alone. Weekends are more about keeping the other guys up late, around the fire....Funny, they don't seem to enjoy the same success as I do confused2
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/27/16 05:40 PM

I do until I run outa beer

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/27/16 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
My best hunting occurs during the week, almost always alone. Weekends are more about keeping the other guys up late, around the fire....Funny, they don't seem to enjoy the same success as I do confused2

never have figured out those guys that drive several
hours just to stay [censored] faced and have the radio up loud.
i rather be at home with my comfortable chair and
toilet if i wanted to do that.
they must just have a poor home life.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/28/16 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: D-Day
I do.

I swear Sasquatch, every bobcat in the county, and the Fouke monster are watching me walk in and out in the dark.

No, it's just a coven of killer clowns. eek2
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Who hunts alone - 09/29/16 01:37 PM

Just my wife and I on 600 acres. It's so relaxing. Occasionally a child will tag along.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Who hunts alone - 10/01/16 01:32 PM

As much as I love hunting alone, there are times I really like to have someone with me. My stomach sometimes will make a bowl growl that is worth sharing. I even get to laughing at myself when I start percolating and those air bubbles make a bend around a corner in my gut. They sound so much louder when you are in the woods.! flush
Then finally comes the escape. I start questioning my diet and intake of foods and worrying if I have a perforated bowl, or something is wrong with my liver. This seems to always happen when there isn't any wind and I have nobody to share it with. But almost every time right about 7:23am I can no longer hold back the pressure and have to leave my blind and duck walk somewhere and rid my body of the foul substance I'm carrying. taz
But it has never effected the hunting for me as I've had the same deal every year and almost every trip to the blind. Then shortly thereafter round 2 starts. I can't wait for the grandsons to go with me and start stacking up on stories they will tell their kids. flehan
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Who hunts alone - 10/01/16 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
As much as I love hunting alone, there are times I really like to have someone with me. My stomach sometimes will make a bowl growl that is worth sharing. I even get to laughing at myself when I start percolating and those air bubbles make a bend around a corner in my gut. They sound so much louder when you are in the woods.! flush
Then finally comes the escape. I start questioning my diet and intake of foods and worrying if I have a perforated bowl, or something is wrong with my liver. This seems to always happen when there isn't any wind and I have nobody to share it with. But almost every time right about 7:23am I can no longer hold back the pressure and have to leave my blind and duck walk somewhere and rid my body of the foul substance I'm carrying. taz
But it has never effected the hunting for me as I've had the same deal every year and almost every trip to the blind. Then shortly thereafter round 2 starts. I can't wait for the grandsons to go with me and start stacking up on stories they will tell their kids. flehan

It's guys like you why I prefer to hunt alone. grin
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Who hunts alone - 10/01/16 04:57 PM

I hunt alone, usually, these days. Dad passed away and my brothers quit hunting. I hunt with a grandson when he can get away from college, and I do enjoy that. For most of my life I hunted with others, and that's where I got most of the good laughs and memories. Just reading this thread brought back a long list of good times.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum