Texas Hunting Forum

Almost got shot on Opening Day!!!

Posted By: fishcast

Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/01/16 05:26 PM

Since it just happened a little while ago, I'm not going to elaborate on who or exactly where, but your's truly just about became a statistic!!!

I was hunting and some person fired pistol rounds into the water across from where I was dove hunting and let's just say I heard and felt the bullets as they went through the bush i was sitting next to!!! I can truly say that is the closest to my knowledge I have come to being killed!!!

Yes I called TPWD and an officer arrived and confronted the responsible parties!!! Damn I was kinda shaken there for a little bit!!!

Needless to say I was done hunting for today! Stupid is as Stupid does!! God Bless and Please Be Safe!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/01/16 06:26 PM

Almost killed? You know how many people get shot and live every year? A lot.

Glad you weren't hit though.

People do dumb stuff hopefully they atlas got a ticket or something.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/01/16 06:30 PM

Glad you're ok. That's why I no longer bird hunt with people I don't know or who are inexperienced. Got shot when I was 18 on one of those mega fields. Guy 50 yards to my right swinging on a low flyer. 18, 12 ga. pellets through my vest, t-shirt and deep under the skin. Thank God he wasn't closer to me.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/01/16 06:41 PM

Opening day is October 1st I thought confused2
Posted By: texaspirate

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/01/16 07:32 PM

Glad your safe, I had a somewhat similar experience on a ranch last year.... I went home as well...
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/02/16 01:36 PM

Dang - glad you are ok. Were you on own land, lease, or public? don't need detail beyond that
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/02/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
Opening day is October 1st I thought confused2

For dove season?
Posted By: dune2218

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/02/16 02:05 PM

Why didnt you go confront them???
Posted By: lharrell79

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/02/16 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: dune2218
Why didnt you go confront them???

Armed confrontations are never a good idea. Best to let the GW handle it.
Posted By: bowman5000

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/02/16 02:41 PM

Irresponsible people. To the guy questioning his comment on getting killed, why does that even matter? It is a serious situation. Just because his choice of words are different than yours does not make him wrong and your right? It is a simple point of view.
Posted By: bowman5000

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/02/16 02:46 PM

I got shot out of an inboard while duck hunting about 12 years ago. It took me a while to get over it. A guy with an outboard came flying in the lake and got stuck in the grass, some birds popped up between us and he started shooting. I was standing up with my back facing him. Thank god it was cold and raining because I had a thick jacket, head gear and a rain coat over it. The steel shot hit my back and it tossed me over the blind and in the water. The guy apologized 100 times while crying. It was safe to say he learned a tough lesson. I was lucky that day but not as lucky as you. Steal shot would have hurt me but flying bullets from a pistol can kill easily.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/11/16 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: bowman5000
Irresponsible people. To the guy questioning his comment on getting killed, why does that even matter? It is a serious situation. Just because his choice of words are different than yours does not make him wrong and your right? It is a simple point of view.
correcto
Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/11/16 01:47 PM

Glad you are safe. I had a few pellets whiz by me while quail hunting once, and it was from someone in my own party. He didn't seem worried about it but I was pissed. We joke about it now, but it could have ended a lot more seriously.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/11/16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: bowman5000
correcto

Agreed.
Posted By: longgunner

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/11/16 03:31 PM

the crazy thing is that hunting accidents can happen to even the most experienced hunters. It's amazing how experienced hunters become complacent over time....

I had a buddy that had a pellet lodged into his glasses. He could have lost an eye..... Shot by an experienced hunter...

Also, ever find that when the dove hunting is really hot that you forget to put the safety on between shots? Happens a lot.... You are then walking around with a likely loaded shotgun where a trip, fall, or tree branch may cause an accidental discharge.

I've learned to shoot less, focus on safety more and quit worrying about how many birds you have in the bag..... Enjoy the experience, model safety to others and have fun.....
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/11/16 03:38 PM

The very reason I never hunt with a "party" ever again.
Glad you ended up ok.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/11/16 07:19 PM

Dick Cheney and Bill Clinton did that..
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/11/16 07:43 PM

Had a friend who doesn't dove hunt much, first time ever with me, swing past me and the wife and dog on a low flyer between us, was about 60 yards, shot landed behind us... we had a short talk then, longer talk coming...
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Almost got shot on Opening Day!!! - 09/11/16 10:02 PM

That's one of the safety lessons taught in hunters education. Never shoot into water because bullets ricochet.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum