Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for feedback

Posted By: deerhuntinghippie

Looking for feedback - 08/31/16 06:02 PM

Well, this started out as a piece of poetry but I made this very short film (2 minutes 30 seconds) out of it. It's about the last few weeks before deer season begins here in Georgia. It’s a time that remains miserably hot and sticky but fall can be felt early in the mornings and late in the evenings.
I'm trying to get better at making videos and good honest feedback helps me more than anything.
Right off the bat I know the voiceover, especially in the first 30 seconds, sounds a bit funky. I have a few audio problems and until I get a better mic there's only so much I can do in post.
Anyways, bow season is within feeling distance so what do you all think?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Looking for feedback - 08/31/16 11:14 PM

The verse sounds beautiful, but I'd like to read it. You gotta read your creation with just a little more emotion though. The pictures are great, but the transition needs to be smoother/better. Liked the music very much, but, without a bridge, it gets repetitive.

You got guts kid; stick with it.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Looking for feedback - 08/31/16 11:32 PM

I like the feel of it. I appreciate the visuals and the music - I think they are successful at achieving what you are going for.

But, I think you are "trying to hard" with the words. Forced similes/metaphors are awkward. They should be used sparingly, if at all. If they are used they need to be really simple, poetic, and unforced.

My 2 cents, and that's about what it's worth....
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Looking for feedback - 09/01/16 11:26 AM

Nice video. up
Posted By: deerhuntinghippie

Re: Looking for feedback - 09/01/16 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
The verse sounds beautiful, but I'd like to read it. You gotta read your creation with just a little more emotion though. The pictures are great, but the transition needs to be smoother/better. Liked the music very much, but, without a bridge, it gets repetitive.

You got guts kid; stick with it.

Thanks man. I don't think it's guts though, I just try to come from an honest place when I'm working on projects like this. I'm aware that videos like this aren't going to be everybody's cup of tea but I don't think about that while writing, filming and editing. But I do very much care about honest feedback regarding all of it once I'm finished. I know a great portion of this video is subjective but it's the more objective things I'm looking to get better at. Like the audio for instance. I know I have to get a better mic because reducing the noise in FCPX also made my voice sound a bit strange. Editing style/flow can be subjective too, to a certain extent but for the most part I think most people can tell the difference between a well edited video and a carelessly edited video.
So, with that being said, I appreciate the honest critique.
Like I said, I didn't post this hoping to get praise. I posted it because I want to grow as a video maker.
And the music... I agree. It's just very hard to find Royalty Free music which coincides completely with each project.
Thanks again for taking the time to let me know what you thought.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum