Texas Hunting Forum

Colorado Units with chronic wasting disease detected

Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Colorado Units with chronic wasting disease detected - 08/31/16 02:27 PM

What is this exactly?
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Colorado Units with chronic wasting disease detected - 08/31/16 03:11 PM

CO is ground zero for CWD discovery/naming it. They have officially obsessed it for 40 years

Those areas have had positive hits. You should observe special caution in those area via meat transportation. De-bonding and skull caps with no brain material basically. CO has a section on it website for regulations. Nothing I would worry about personally
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: Colorado Units with chronic wasting disease detected - 08/31/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
CO is ground zero for CWD discovery/naming it. They have officially obsessed it for 40 years

Those areas have had positive hits. You should observe special caution in those area via meat transportation. De-bonding and skull caps with no brain material basically. CO has a section on it website for regulations. Nothing I would worry about personally

What do you mean de-bonding and skull caps with no material?
Posted By: Western

Re: Colorado Units with chronic wasting disease detected - 08/31/16 03:45 PM

46ish years.

I have heard about it and even hunted a few units that claim to have tested positive, iirc, they will test them statewide if you submit it to a biologist, I also think some units require testing, but not sure on that. I know it has spread in the last 35 years, or at least has been found.

Here is a interesting article:
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/06/re...e/#.V8b4BDVS3E8
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Colorado Units with chronic wasting disease detected - 08/31/16 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Think he meant de-boning. Bring only de-boned meat and cleaned skull cap/antlers back with you. Dispose of the bones and rest of the skull there. As long as CWD has been around(long before it was discovered), I am sure people have eaten game that has had CWD and they did not even know it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Colorado Units with chronic wasting disease detected - 08/31/16 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Think he meant de-boning. Bring only de-boned meat and cleaned skull cap/antlers back with you. Dispose of the bones and rest of the skull there. As long as CWD has been around(long before it was discovered), I am sure people have eaten game that has had CWD and they did not even know it.

Correct.

Also not really relative in the case since you will most likely be traveling through tx/Oklahoma, but be aware of state transportation laws through some states. Example Arizona has unquie transportation laws of carcasses
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum