Texas Hunting Forum

trail cam and Sun Exposure?

Posted By: gabesphotography

trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/21/16 03:23 PM

I was at a hunting equipment show recently and one of the vendors had a mock trail cam set up with an 8 inch x 8 inch plank of wood positioned about 4 inches above the trail cam. When I asked what that was for, the answer I got was that it was to cast shade on the cam. He told me that direct sunlight exposure was one of the major factors that degrade a trail cam over time and shorten the life of a trail cam. Said that the trail cam was an electronic, and anything you can do to protect it from the elements would extend the life of the camera. Has anyone else heard of this? It seems to make sense to me, but I've never heard of it before.

Any thought?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/21/16 04:16 PM

Seems to make sense, however I got several out in the middle of the fields with direct sun light on them, but then that's where I need them, so if it shortens their life by a year, then so be it.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/21/16 05:50 PM

I put mine in a wood box about 12"x10"x8". Keeps the glare out and makes for better pics...
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/21/16 05:57 PM

I like the box idea, but after having wasps use one for their fortress, I go with a more simple design akin the the single plank. It is actually a piece of kydex folded in an L shape, coming from the back and over the top. It helps with some of the elements and moisture. It definitely keeps a lot of sun off the cameras.
Posted By: gabesphotography

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/21/16 06:15 PM

thanks for the input, I didn't even think about wasp. Saved me from learning a lesson the hard way.

Thanks..
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/21/16 07:05 PM

I build my own, pretty much doubles life of camera, cost $2 to do about 4 cameras.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/21/16 08:43 PM

Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/21/16 08:57 PM

I built the boxes and always had good luck with them. No wasp issues, but they don't bother me anyway.
Posted By: mikeydon

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/21/16 09:10 PM

oh yea i do that,i had one the rubber seal in the door went to leaking, the camera was ruined with water in it,haha,now i put a cover over them,haven't lost a camera since due to rain or weather popcorn
Posted By: tlk

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/21/16 09:37 PM

I think 110 degree summer days in south texas wears our cameras and batteries out - not sure if it is the direct sunlight or just the overall heat
Posted By: smacha538

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/22/16 01:05 AM

I like the box idea...I've always put mine under some good shade tree next to the feeder and never had a problem
Posted By: aeb

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/22/16 03:36 AM

100+ heat and sun shorten the life of cameras. Good idea.
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: trail cam and Sun Exposure? - 08/23/16 03:40 AM

Yeah, I have had one or two lose range on the sensors so bad that they quit working well enough to be worth a darn. The plastic got so crazed from the UV, pretty much like the plastic on the headlights of your car.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum