Texas Hunting Forum

The rain ?

Posted By: StephensCnty308

The rain ? - 08/18/16 04:31 PM

I know the rain does us all good in watering vegetation and filling creeks/ponds however with the rains we are having and still expecting over the next week or so are any of you waiting once again for a little dry out so work can resume getting ready for this season?

Just curious

2 weeks ago I put up a new blind and feeder and sank my posts however now I need to get back out there and wire up my hog panels to finish everything off.
I'm sure with the rain that's happening getting back to this particular feeder set up won't be easy until it dries up a little.

If only I had gotten those panels up before the rain.
Here we are mid August and once again like spring I'm stuck again.
Posted By: corkys son

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 04:40 PM

I don't like working in the heat and humidity of east Texas, but I hate rain and won't work in the rain. Will let it dry up some then finish it up for the year!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 04:55 PM

I don't mind a little rain. It's already worse this year than it was last year at this time. I didn't hunt my place much last year due to it being so soggy from the end of October to February.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 05:16 PM

How did you like the drought? Hate to speak ill of the rain, should be able to work this week-end.

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 05:20 PM

I prefer the drought in my area. I get more activity around the protein feeders and water troughs.

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 05:40 PM

I love the rain however my property is very sandy so yes when it rains a lot it may soak In r run off however you can't drive on it much as it makes the ground soppy wet.

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
I prefer the drought in my area. I get more activity around the protein feeders and water troughs.

I agree
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 05:52 PM

Be careful what you wish for you just might get it. With drought comes wild fires.
We had one back in 201l that burned 3000 acres of our lease.

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Be careful what you wish for you just might get it. With drought comes wild fires.
We had one back in 201l that burned 3000 acres of our lease.

We had one in my area year before last but I keep the place mowed so short that it only got to the fence line. In a dry year I mow like crazy and put out lots of protein. When the rains come and that burned ground sprouts the deer head out until they eat all the groceries in that area and then come back to the protein. If it stays dry, they don't scatter until the rut.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 06:06 PM

What about all the trees and brush the deer depend on for cover that gets burned down and takes about 8-10 years to grow back?

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 06:16 PM

We haven't had any fires that burn more than under brush and dead trees. We keep the grass short and the wild fire we did have in the area was caused by guys in a hay field that set it off with a spark. They lost a lot of hay but most of the land is grazing land so woodlots are pretty spaced out. I imagine it would be bad if trees were more dense.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 06:19 PM

What about the animals trying to survive on a drought burned range, this includes Deer, quail ,ALL animals. Some of y'all sound real selfish ,thinking of your own hunting instead of the animals welfare. Of course you see more during a drought at your feeders. The animals are just trying to survive.

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: DUKFVR
What about the animals trying to survive on a drought burned range, this includes Deer, quail ,ALL animals. Some of y'all sound real selfish ,thinking of your own hunting instead of the animals welfare. Of course you see more during a drought at your feeders. The animals are just trying to survive.

Yes, and that is why supplemental feed is provided as well as water. Only the strong survive and this improves the herd. I don't mind going a few years not taking a deer if they decline to the point where they are scarce.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 06:29 PM

My granddaddy would slap me just for having a thought about cussing the rain. Just reading this thread makes me uncomfortable. Never cuss a rain.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
My granddaddy would slap me just for having a thought about cussing the rain. Just reading this thread makes me uncomfortable. Never cuss a rain.

x1000

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 07:07 PM

Don't get me wrong. I'm not cussing the rain. I just stated I prefer dry years and offered my observations and ways I contend with the dryness. I see more deer on protein during a drought than I see in food plots during a wet year. At least during shooting hours. 2cents
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 07:21 PM

my wife cusses at rain now

we have too much water, ponds over flowing
chiggers galore
weeds too high

but the cattle are much fatter
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 10:00 PM

Glad to see the rain as East Texas has been dry of the past 3 months. Had to much last year and was flooded out of the woods for about a month and a half. I will have a feeder and stand on higher ground this year. Lesson learned.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: The rain ? - 08/18/16 10:17 PM

I feel sorry for the farmers lot of them still have crops out
Posted By: snoopy

Re: The rain ? - 08/19/16 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: StephensCnty308
I know the rain does us all good in watering vegetation and filling creeks/ponds however with the rains we are having and still expecting over the next week or so are any of you waiting once again for a little dry out so work can resume getting ready for this season?

Just curious

2 weeks ago I put up a new blind and feeder and sank my posts however now I need to get back out there and wire up my hog panels to finish everything off.
I'm sure with the rain that's happening getting back to this particular feeder set up won't be easy until it dries up a little.

Happens to me, especially when I put stuff off out of laziness.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: The rain ? - 08/19/16 12:02 AM

After the past 7 years out here, I will never complain about rain again.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: The rain ? - 08/19/16 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
After the past 7 years out here, I will never complain about rain again.

Spoken like a true Texan.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: The rain ? - 08/19/16 12:31 AM

I love the rain however my property is very sandy so yes when it rains a lot it may soak In r run off however you can't drive on it much as it makes the ground soppy wet.

I have the exact same problem and I guess I'm a slow learner. I've even gotten my tractor stuck twice. But better wet than blowing away.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: The rain ? - 08/19/16 12:37 AM

It's a Lovely Sight up
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: The rain ? - 08/19/16 02:06 PM

I look at rain as a short term pain and a long term gain. I'll take it every chance I get.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: The rain ? - 08/19/16 02:28 PM

Rain (not flooding) is better than drought and is long term beneficial for all (animals, ranchers, hunters and people that eat whether they be vegetarian or carnivore. We has hunters must adapt or plan ahead better. Most hunters know (unless new to property)if they have a stand/feeder in area susceptible to high water/soggy conditions and its not nature's fault. Farmers/hayers need the rain but I do feel bad on timing for those trying to get crops in.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: The rain ? - 08/19/16 02:46 PM

Just curious

I'll loan you my donkey.

Re: The rain ? - 08/19/16 05:19 PM

Every time I see that picture it reminds of the summer i joined the YMCA. I don't know how some people got there a$$es into inner tubes either! rofl
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: The rain ? - 08/19/16 05:34 PM

We have deep sand on our place too. Get a lot of rain and you can drive on it once. Try it twice and it turns to jello. This rain is going to put me 2 weeks behind on my food plot. Still glad we got it.

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC

We have deep sand on our place too. Get a lot of rain and you can drive on it once. Try it twice and it turns to jello. This rain is going to put me 2 weeks behind on my food plot. Still glad we got it.

We got 2.5 inches there other day and it's 7:06am and already have gotten 3 3/4
I'm not sure if I will be able to do much until October sadly.
There is good rain and imo to much.

Oh well glad you folks who seem to need it is getting it.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC

That is exactly my place..you can drive to the end of the food-plot okay, turn around and you will never get back. Since I can only go down and work on the weekends, I am now three weeks behind because of having to wait for the sand to dry out.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 01:17 PM

3.8" here so far this week and raining now. I needed it, I've been missing all the rain for the past month.

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
3.8" here so far this week and raining now. I needed it, I've been missing all the rain for the past month.

Well we are not far from one another. Thanks for giving me the heads up on how many inches.

I know one thing our desert sand isn't used to this much rain.
Posted By: KG68

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 01:26 PM

I've suffered too much from drought to complain about the rain. banana2
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 02:37 PM

Rains have been spotty here. For the week almost two inches at the house on the west side of Menard and 5.5 inches on the ranch 12 miles south of town. I have a buddy 9 miles west and he has had a total of .7" for the week. This should put us in great shape for the winter. Thank God!
Adios,
Gary

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 03:49 PM

6" here at the Nurturing Biosphere of the Mothership...and another Batch building up up

We really needed this, I was getting a tad dry.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 05:17 PM

Scooter, I'll bet the gates are open and the river is running wild about now or soon will be.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
What about all the trees and brush the deer depend on for cover that gets burned down and takes about 8-10 years to grow back?

They tend to love the new growth when it comes in and it usually comes in with the next rains. https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/using-fire-to-improve-wildlife-habitat

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

Louisiana called. They are cussing the rain.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 06:24 PM

It's got some buffering capacity the height was just over 836 or full pool. The emergency spillway is at 866 so it can go up nearly 30 ft before they have to release water. It'll all depend on what's going on downstream.
Posted By: therancher

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 06:53 PM

I can't get my mind around anyone saying anything negative about rain.

Re: The rain ? - 08/20/16 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Scooter, I'll bet the gates are open and the river is running wild about now or soon will be.

Yes Sir...
I needed it...But if Lovie comes up with one more HoneyDoo I am taking the Boat out Rain or Shine bang
Posted By: CenTex

Re: The rain ? - 08/21/16 02:02 AM

Rain like this in August in Texas is nothing but and absolute blessing from God.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: The rain ? - 08/21/16 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: poisonivie

Yes Sir...
I needed it...But if Lovie comes up with one more HoneyDoo I am taking the Boat out Rain or Shine bang
clap
Posted By: don k

Re: The rain ? - 08/21/16 10:23 PM

I have not read all the posts on this. A few on the first part of it were saying they prefer the drought to the rains we are getting now. I am wondering why anybody would want animals suffering and many dying in a drought so that they would have an easier time shooting a Deer. What have some of us come too?
Posted By: therancher

Re: The rain ? - 08/21/16 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: CenTex
Rain like this in August in Texas is nothing but and absolute blessing from God.

Green Augusts are rare as hens teeth. And absolutely a blessing.

Re: The rain ? - 08/22/16 05:04 PM

16" of rain is a little more blessing than my neighbors needed for August. Can't harvest. Looks like it's going to cost us more time and money to fix washed out roads than it would to feed deer. I don't mind rain but 16" in 9 days is tough to deal with. I have 3 neighbors either stuck outside their place or stuck in their place. I haven't been able to get to mine but I was able to get on the tractor to get close enough to deliver supplies to the neighbor.

don k: I'm sure nobody wants animals to suffer or they wouldn't supplemental feed or water. This doesn't guarantee an easy shot either. There are few of us in my area that feed and water, without us some of these deer would be in trouble. Coming out of a 7 year drought we are in good shape for all this rain, but isn't good when it comes all at one time.

Re: The rain ? - 08/22/16 05:29 PM

16" of rain is a little more blessing than my neighbors needed for August. Can't harvest. Looks like it's going to cost us more time and money to fix washed out roads than it would to feed deer. I don't mind rain but 16" in 9 days is tough to deal with. I have 3 neighbors either stuck outside their place or stuck in their place. I haven't been able to get to mine but I was able to get on the tractor to get close enough to deliver supplies to the neighbor.

don k: I'm sure nobody wants animals to suffer or they wouldn't supplemental feed or water. This doesn't guarantee an easy shot either. There are few of us in my area that feed and water, without us some of these deer would be in trouble. Coming out of a 7 year drought we are in good shape for all this rain, but isn't good when it comes all at one time.

This is what I'm talking about. Rain is great however some soils can't take this much at one time.
Don't mind me asking where about are you located where you got this much rain?

I'm deeply sorry and hope everyone recovers

Re: The rain ? - 08/22/16 06:47 PM

This is what I'm talking about. Rain is great however some soils can't take this much at one time.
Don't mind me asking where about are you located where you got this much rain?

I'm deeply sorry and hope everyone recovers

Robertson County Tx.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: The rain ? - 08/22/16 11:02 PM

All in all, rain is better than no rain.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: The rain ? - 08/23/16 10:49 AM

Caught another 2 inches at the house and the radar showed the center going over the ranch, good chance it's 4x4 all day!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: The rain ? - 08/23/16 12:08 PM

All our hunting stuff is set up, we just shred and trim what needs trimming to get ready for season. The more it wants to rain at the ranch the better.

Have had a foot of rain in the last week at my house... sure wish I could push pause long enough to mow before it starts back up again.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum