Texas Hunting Forum

Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet?

Posted By: Texas Dan

Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/12/16 02:21 PM

I noticed recently that both Academy and Walmart appear to be gearing up for Dove Season. And I'm sure the shelves will get stocked even more as the weeks pass.

I couldn't resist but to buy a bag of seed last night at Academy. Thankfully, seed producers are required by law to list exactly what seed is in the bag and how much of it. I noticed quite a few that contained mostly rye grass.

So then, have you started gearing up yet?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/12/16 03:08 PM

I bought some mojo's, 4 cases of shotshells, 50% off camo, and lots of freezer baggies. grin
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/12/16 03:16 PM

4 cases of dove loads and new pop-up blind for now.
Posted By: Indyoshi

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/12/16 06:37 PM

Not yet but pulled out the bow to get resighted. Never been dove hunting. Id love to but have had the time to learn where to on public land and dont want to do a lease
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/12/16 06:50 PM

nope....
Posted By: texaspirate

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/12/16 06:55 PM

ABSOLUTELY... I love when the first ad's come in each year... Bass Pro last night, Academy, Dicks... even Gander Mountain.... I spent more time walking the isles at lunch when I can than anything else.... Some people pay a therapist... I go to the hunting sections and enjoy picking a few things here and there.... Shot Gun Shells stocked up... a wind detector and a few small things yesterday.... I get downright Giddy this time of year.

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/12/16 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: texaspirate
ABSOLUTELY... I love when the first ad's come in each year... Bass Pro last night, Academy, Dicks... even Gander Mountain.... I spent more time walking the isles at lunch when I can than anything else.... Some people pay a therapist... I go to the hunting sections and enjoy picking a few things here and there.... Shot Gun Shells stocked up... a wind detector and a few small things yesterday.... I get downright Giddy this time of year.

Yes, women get a fix by buying a new purse or pair of shoes. We get out fix with every outdoors purchase.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/12/16 07:54 PM

ammo
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/12/16 08:21 PM

I think the last time I bought anything for dove season was 2 years ago when I got a couple of cases of shells and one of the belts with pockets. The game vest got a little toasty the season before, so a new belt it was. Unfortunately I don't have a reliable place to dove hunt, so I normally just go with my neighbor when he goes out to his dad's place..and he's not much of a hunter, so 4-5 times a year?

Now to prep for deer season is a whole different story. If my wife knew how much I've spent from the end of last season until now in preps for deer season, she'd have a heart attack. roflmao Finally got my custom bolt gun finished, new to me blind, new to me Kawasaki Mule (plus tires/wheels, lift, building a roof), new feeder motor box, just to name a few. Dang, putting it all into a list is a bit of a wake up call for this year crazy
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/13/16 01:55 AM

Yeah, $2,300 lease payment next week.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/13/16 02:29 AM

Yeah, bought a $25 solar panel and 900lbs of corn. Thankfully everything is intact and working this year
Posted By: papa45

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/13/16 11:28 PM

Feeder battery, wasp spray, dove shells, lease payment...metal corners to keep the cows from chewing on my ground blind.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/14/16 12:13 AM

Feeder Battery, new blind, lease payment. Can't wait!
Posted By: Erny

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/14/16 12:53 AM

Paid for my lease yesterday.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/14/16 02:39 AM

Pre season what? I hunt year round and buy stuff year round. I do need to get a new license though.
Posted By: DeadRooster

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/14/16 10:56 PM

I inherited a beautiful old Browning 20 gauge semi-auto from my twin sister who passed earlier this year. I've always hunted with a 12 gauge, so I needed to go out and buy some 20 gauge shells, as I'm going to use her shotgun this season in her memory.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/14/16 11:06 PM

corn, batteries for feeders, batteries for camera's. paid $300 to have bulldozer make my road driviable again. Down payment on new blind to be delivered in two weeks.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/15/16 12:29 AM

Well im constantly buying things, so my first preseason purchase was probably within a couple days of when you consider the end of post season and the beginning of preseason
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/15/16 07:24 PM

I'm scared to think about what I spend. It's getting close. I can't wait to reap.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/15/16 07:32 PM

I but stuff here and there all year. Got my license today though!
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/15/16 08:34 PM

License and about $200 worth of ammo today.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/15/16 08:43 PM

Im always on the lookout Pre, during, and post season.
Posted By: don k

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/15/16 09:30 PM

I bought some beer, but then again I will probably have to buy more before the season.
Posted By: C.K.

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/15/16 09:37 PM

Just 300 WSM ammo
Posted By: Erny

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/16/16 03:13 AM

Got my license today.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/16/16 03:40 PM

two 1600# feeders, two 1000# feeders, all with new eliminator plates and solar; 5500# corn and two Ranch King Little Bucks, camera batteries. Final lease payment due Sept 1. Looking forward to our new lease. I don't want to think about a running $ total.

Now prepping for dove, need to pick up license this week and beat the lines.
Posted By: nak

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/16/16 05:18 PM

since the first is the month...

Online license purchase (super combo, public lands, & waterfowl stamp )
Three cases of Rio 12 gauge.
Four boxes of rio fast steel #7 ( Planning at least one day to hunt dove on a WMA area that has waterfowl. )
100 rounds of 6.8 SPC hunting ammo ( hogs after the birds are cleaned and on ice)
BIg 32 pack of AA batteries (for the mojos)
A new pair of snake boots
Waterproofing for the new boots
20 gallons of real gas for the genny (gotta stay cool between hunts)

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/16/16 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt
two 1600# feeders, two 1000# feeders, all with new eliminator plates and solar; 5500# corn and two Ranch King Little Bucks, camera batteries. Final lease payment due Sept 1. Looking forward to our new lease. I don't want to think about a running $ total.

Not adding up everything spent on deer hunting is Rule #1 for those who participate in the sport. And this includes NEVER calculating the cost/pound of venison.
Posted By: nak

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/16/16 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Not adding up everything spent on deer hunting is Rule #1 for those who participate in the sport. And this includes NEVER calculating the cost/pound of venison.

How about the cost per pound for Quail?
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/16/16 11:23 PM

Haven't bought anything yet, but have my eye on a few things!
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/17/16 04:49 AM

Some shotgun shells for dove season and I just ordered a scope from Cabelas. They have the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 on sale for $299.99. Wasn't planning on a new scope right now, but that's too good to pass up.
Posted By: JKC

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/17/16 02:08 PM

just license so far...
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/17/16 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Indyoshi
Not yet but pulled out the bow to get resighted. Never been dove hunting. Id love to but have had the time to learn where to on public land and dont want to do a lease
how much do you lead a dove with a bow?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/17/16 05:57 PM

Bought a 1000 lbs of protein a while back. I wont be buying any cammo, guns, or a but out or anything though.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/17/16 08:07 PM

Just got my free 2016-17 license
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/18/16 12:32 AM

I bought three new feeder batteries when someone posted that sales link to Cabellas a few weeks ago.
Posted By: jhprice2

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/21/16 05:03 AM

ammo and lease payments!
Posted By: A2B

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/22/16 12:19 AM

A new pair of muck boots!!
Posted By: smacha538

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/22/16 01:02 AM

Finally pulled the trigger on my dream bolt gun...Gap topped with a razor. Look forward to putting in some work with it.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/22/16 04:07 AM

flowers for my wife...
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/22/16 06:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Stratgolfer
flowers for my wife...

And lots of wine...
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/22/16 08:48 AM

I started making my purchases the day after season closed last year. I thought your supposed to be restocking at all times. confused2
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/24/16 01:50 AM

I buy stuff all the time. Just bought 3 cases of shotgun shells. Used a half case in a charity skeet shoot last weekend. The leftover will be used for dove and quail season.

Also bought a Savage .243 with a bushnell scope because it was too good of a deal to pass up. Also needed a "ranger" rifle in case we run into a coyote or hog while we are driving around. Because of the price, I don't feel bad about dirt and scratches. Sighted it in this weekend and shot a coon and yote with it out spotlighting. Sweet little gun!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/24/16 02:02 AM

Not much, corn, batteries, camera,ammo,half of lease fee, and traded out defective timer. Had to replace 46 feet of hydraulic lines on the deer lease trailer...does that count?
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: Have you made your first pre-season purchase yet? - 08/25/16 04:31 PM

i had to buy 2 new game cameras seeing how someone liked mine better than me. i also had to purchase 2 new sd cards that were in the cameras. i hate thief's. going this weekend to get shotgun shells and license.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum